Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bogus Lithuanian Clothing Charity Collectors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

bcirl03 wrote: »
    We have a house full of the bogus collectors renting two doors up from us, they just moved in the other month. They have 3 vans (no insurance on two of them) parked in a small cul de sac and are constantly moving 'clothes' from one van to another. They have also started of late to bring in children’s bikes, a lot of them. My only guess there is that they are lifting the bikes when clothing the clothes at people’s houses.

Rang the Gardai on numerous occasions complaining and got no where.

There shifty, dangerous characters.

Any advice?

Just to give you an update on the above.

I spoke to a local politician who advised me to speak with the community Garda. Well I did and whilst he listed he was honest with me and said there was nothing he could really do but would drop up and have a look. Even about the bikes he said proof would be needed and this could prove difficult.

Well they have since left and the house is now up on Daft.ie.

RESULT - however unsure if the community Garda did anything to move them on. My guess is they move around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

an neighbour of mine has had his kids bike lifted and has good reason to suspect one of these clothing collectors.

My father had a run in a few weeks ago, saw a shadow going by the bedroom window about 3am, immediatly thought the worst, took his shotgun out of the safe and went to the front door, he opened it just as the guy in question was putting a sticker through the letter box.

By my dads calculations, he should have taken about 5 seconds to get from the window to the letter box but it took my dad about a minute to get out of bed and get the gun .. what was the guy doing for that minute .. obviously scoping out the place.

Needless to say the auld boy explained that the next time questions won't be asked first.

I work as nightshift in a supermarket. At least FOUR times have i witnessed vans pulling up next to the clothing banks and passing the kids INTO them. No joke! The kids then pass out the clothes and climb back out. I call the cops everytime but its usually on a Saturday night when all the drunkards are about.
    Last time they caught them. The cops told me the van was crammed full of clothes. These guys also break off the padlocks and put their own on sometimes for easier access.

You're always better taking them directly to the charity shops

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

The sad fact is these people are being encouraged by idiots leaving stuff outside their doors, either out of laziness / innocence of lack of brain power.

You can forget about the Gardai helping you out here as well, unless you know a local copper they arent bothered.

Cough cough, my nextdoor neighbour was telling me a detective around the corner got pissed off with these leaflets being dropped in his door at 4 & 5am so organised a sting one morning and they took the van off the lads. A month later they are back again :rolleyes:

The cops refer it to the local council and the council refer it to the cops, what sort of country is this FFS, nobody arsed about doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Sizzler wrote: »
    The sad fact is these people are being encouraged by idiots leaving stuff outside their doors, either out of laziness / innocence of lack of brain power.

You can forget about the Gardai helping you out here as well, unless you know a local copper they arent bothered.

Cough cough, my nextdoor neighbour was telling me a detective around the corner got pissed off with these leaflets being dropped in his door at 4 & 5am so organised a sting one morning and they took the van off the lads. A month later they are back again :rolleyes:

The cops refer it to the local council and the council refer it to the cops, what sort of country is this FFS, nobody arsed about doing anything.

We had legit collection in our area two weeks ago by Enable Ireland who we left some stuff out for - they very kindly left a "thank you" note in the door following the collection.

Last week we had a different sticker in the door every day from our "friends". Then last Friday there was a bag from the Liberties Recylcing Project which may have been a legit collection but as with all the other stuff that week I bunged in the bin. As has been said before you cant differentiate between the legit and the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

bcirl03 wrote: »
    We have a house full of the bogus collectors renting two doors up from us, they just moved in the other month. They have 3 vans (no insurance on two of them) parked in a small cul de sac

Rang the Gardai on numerous occasions complaining and got no where.

How can they ignore the 'no insurance' issue? Get onto the local Inspector if they are ignoring this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i didn't know about the stickers being put in at 4am??come to think about it they're always in the porch waaaay before the normal post. that kind of creeps me out, if they're not up to no good then why don't they do it during the day??!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

i didn't know about the stickers being put in at 4am??come to think about it they're always in the porch waaaay before the normal post. that kind of creeps me out, if they're not up to no good then why don't they do it during the day??!!

I find mine are dropped in around 5.30am, I know cause I hear the ****ers doing it and I'm sometimes up at that hour

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I am glad to see that a legitimate company has now come up with a way for you to donate clothes and with a donation to charity , they are called Cookstown Textiles.

They team up with local schools and creches. The local school or creche organise a 'jumble sale ' or some such event .

You bring along your bags of clothes and they donate €3-5 to the school or creche for every bag they take off you .

This started up north but is recently happening down here too .

Save your bags and give them to Enable Ireland shops or else bring them to your local school or creche when they are fundraising .

Eventually the lack of business along with some proper enforcement from our lazy guards will stop these criminals from creeping around peoples homes in the middle of the night.

We urgently need a law that says no leafleting activity between 10pm and 7am to make the guards get off their fat holes :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    We urgently need a law that says no leafleting activity between 10pm and 7am to make the guards get off their fat holes :(

Agreed, they're no legitimate reason in the world for any person, group or company to be putting stuff in people's mailboxes during these hours!

These people are scum and those people dumb enough to give them anything should be fined as they only cause this scumbags to continue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

There has been an upsurge in Bogus Lithuanian charity collectors in Ireland, they are now active in Galway.

Thats Terrible!! :eek: You mean there not really Lithuanian?!!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Do you ?

Do i what?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

the solution is sooooooooo simple its blinding

+1 with pink fluffy bunny

Just STOP putting bags out!!!

they will soon have to move on

I am well aware that the companies are bogus. Indeed they are clothes dealers. Seemingly they sell the clothes on for so much per bag....

Anyway people are LAZY and some will still leave bags out just to get rid of stuff instead of driving to the nearest charity shop, taking the time to park and go in and deliver the stuff themselves.

Well I did a big clear out recently with my eldest girl, and we delivered 3 bags of saleable quality clothes and footwear to SVP charity shop in Ballymun SC. Yes it took time and a little effort to do so.

It is up to you guys.... Stop complaining and next time you have some items you don't want/need deliver them to your nearest charity shop.

Make the effort!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

These guys have even set up a website:

http://www.clothescollection.eu/
    http://www.clothescollection.eu/images/stories/certificate.jpg

And it's as full of mispellings as their leaflets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

mambo wrote: »
    These guys have even set up a website:

http://www.clothescollection.eu/
    http://www.clothescollection.eu/images/stories/certificate.jpg

And it's as full of mispellings as their leaflets.

LOL - they even have a "WRITE US" section - I did using my mailaator address, but I can't repeat the message here - I don't want to be banned for life :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

lol just checked the company number on the cro website and it is for a company in kildare was dissolved in 2002

http://www.cro.ie/search/companyresultse.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

irishbird wrote: »
    lol just checked the company number on the cro website and it is for a company in kildare was dissolved in 2002

http://www.cro.ie/search/companyresultse.asp

It may be worth reporting them to the CRO in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

All flyers must have a registered charity number and a valid phone number. Some have email addresses but that is no marker of validity.

The police are way too lax on these bogus flyer deliverers. They should wait in an unmarked car in any housing estate early in the morning and they could stop then, inspect the flyer and if suspected they should be hauled down to the station.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Anyone know what sort of waste license do they need to legally collect your rubbish? And if that is even regulated? I'd say if they could not show proof that they were properly dumping it, they'd be in breach of some law? After all, I can't seem them being able to sell rubbish, or could they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lizziebee

I've just had one of these charity stickers posted thru the door, I always bin them and you all should too - if you want your clothes to go to charity, take them to the charity shop, altho I do always wonder even there do they go thru them and have first picks before they are sent to charity, but at least your unwanted clothes have a better chance of going to a good cause.

I ALWAYS LOOK AT THESE STICKERS FOR SPELLING MISTAKES AND THERE ARE ALWAYS MISTAKES - FOR EXAMPLE TODAY'S ONE SPELLS BELARUSIAN WITH 2 S's.

The telephone numbers are usually wrong and if there's a charity number or website it's bogus.

DON'T BE LAZY TAKE THEM TO THE CHARITY SHOP OR RECYCLE, EVEN IF ITS TO REUSE THE BUTTONS!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭El Gato

Totally sick of these scumbag cnuts.

Every week the same thing.

I have 3 signs on the door saying no leaflets & in particular these bogus fliers

This morning @ 5.30am letterbox went so I looked out the window. An eastern European guy in his 40's/50's.

I grabbed the leaflet & followed him up the road.

Told him in no uncertain terms not to post another in the letterbox.

2 minutes later saw a white 08 KY Ford Transporter leaving the estate & as the van passed the house the guy who I followed pointing out my place.

Anyone know if there are any laws in place to prevent this sort of thing. After all, it is fraud as they say they are a charity but they are not....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

El Gato wrote: »
    Totally sick of these scumbag cnuts.

Every week the same thing.

Yes, it is a joke. I must be getting about 3 of these fliers every week. The cops just need to stop them and look at their 'charity' leaflet and will see straight away that it is bogus. To top it off, the evidence is right there in the cops hand. You can be sure that if the Irish were doing this, they be arrested instantly. :mad:

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

The funniest though is the bogus "clothing banks", theres two by my local chinese. Its a bit of a give away when they cant spell underwear correctly. "underware"

This must effect the real charity collecters. Do they even bother anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

think I might have been a bit mad here considering the supposed Eastern European thug reputation these fellas have, but was out with my child this afternoon, we live in an apartment block with communal bins, a van pulls up beside the bins and some fella gets out goes to the back of the van and proceeds to take out a box of old trophy's...

I own my apartment so pay management fees and am very pissed at the amount of non household waste in the bin sheds (adding to the fee's next year no doubt), so I got up and told him he's not to be dumping it in our bins, when I looked in the back of the van he had one of those clothing collection stickers on it and the van was full of bags of clothes etc.. he proceeded to tell me he lives in the building, but I told him I don't give a damn, he doesn't get to dump his business rubbish in our bins... there is a huge amount of "old people clothes and stuff in our bins that I have noticed recently, yet there are very few old people living in the building. so he tells me again he lives at no 27....

When I went home I knocked on no 27 to check if he answered the door and he did, so I told him I am not a bit pleased and will be reporting him... but this is a bit of an empty threat as the management co generally do nothing about the problem of illegal dumpers even when they are reported, I really want to know who else you could report this to?

Was thinkin after it maybe knockin on the door wasn't the best idea if these guys are the thugs they are portrayed to be, but I was sooo angry!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭solovely

A guy just dropped one of those bogus clothes collection stickers through my letterbox. I have a no junk mail sign on the letter box, and for once I was at home when it arrived. So I went to the door, asked him to take it away, there was a no junk mail sign on the door. And the guy started screaming at me in some Eastern European language. I kept calling after him and he pulled up his hood and jumped the fence!!

That was five minutes ago! I'm fuming!!!

There is a mobile number on the sticker, but obviously I'd be too afraid to call it. Any suggestions of what I can do? I know I should just let it drop, but raging at how this guy shouted at me, and the fact that they are attempting to illegally collect clothes.

Is there any clampdown happening on this sort of thing does anyone know, or anywhere you can report them to?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Not much you can do, and calling the number would be a waste of time, and phone credit. Numerous houses around here (including mine) have the same problem, they'll deliver no matter what you have stuck on your door. As long as people supply them with bags of clothes, they'll regularly deliver their stickers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭solovely

Thanks, just need a few minutes to calm down I think! I'll take a few deep breaths!

Is what they are doing illegal does anybody know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Happyzebra

Just tell everyone you know about these bogus collectors... That will hit him where it hurts.... His pocket. Genuine charities are losing out on millions due to these people. The public need to be made aware that such theft is occurring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement