Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef Plan Movement (READ OP BEFORE POSTING)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

When the Shorthorn replaced the native breeds as the main dairy breed, farmers were complaining about how this would hurt the quality of the beef animal.

When the Friesian replaced the Shorthorn as the main dairy breed, farmers were complaining about how this would hurt the quality of the beef animal.

When the Holstein replace the Friesian as the main dairy breed, farmers were complaining about how this would hurt the quality of the beef animal.

Now, a small quantity of Jersey bulls are used across a small number of herds and, again, farmers are complaining about how this will hurt the quality of the beef animal.

Time and breeds move on, markets change and farmers adjust their management to utilise the animals available to suit the markets available.

It's what has always happened and what will always happen. Life goes on and people still manage to survive.

What about the bulls that sling calves as big as cats? That is what improvement in genitics and science has brought. Aax/lmx on the card but they may as well be jex. Doesnt matter what cow they come out of.

wrangler wrote: »
    Is there room for imrovement in beef/lamb price, It's a luxury meat now and cannot compete with pork and chickhen.
    Anytime I get a chance to go through ICM I cannot help but admire the effort they make to market our lamb, the different products they make and the amount of investment in further processing the lamb

The price will always be a supply and demand problem same with any industry. But fair play on grading and fat score can take 50 euro off the price of a carcass no matter what the base price is. We will always be caught on price. But if we got fair play in the factories that way and could somehow get rid of the factory feedlots then we would have at least fair play on the price front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

What about the bulls that sling calves as big as cats? That is what improvement in genitics and science has brought. Aax/lmx on the card but they may as well be jex. Doesnt matter what cow they come out of.

This is a problem with exported fr bull calves as well ,some of these x bred fr bull calves turning into runts once they are weaned off milk .It seems to be turning into a problem in the feedlots where they end up ,the margins in these feedlots are tight as well!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Face it, the majority of beef in the country is a commodity.

Outside of HEx and AAx, where is the premium paid by the consumer on suckled beef?

The most purchased meat in supermarkets and butchers is mince and let's face it, Jex, Frx or Lmx would put out the exact same end product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Outside of the export market to the continent for the top of the weanlings suckler beef is just a commodity for the processors ,steaks too big for packaging and beef is sold cheaply in UK retailers while Red Tractor branded products are commanding a premium there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

So, you only want to alienate the larger dairy farmers. I rent land but not at “silly” money, I haul silage 30km and you know who’s land it’s coming off? It’s drystock farms, ones with enough wit to see where their bread is buttered.

We have offered all of our spring ‘19 calves to 3 calf buyers for a nominal fee of €30/head. That’s for fr bulls, He heifers and bulls but guess what? They’ve all declined. The simple fact is they can pick up “runners” now for €300, can’t say I blame them. There’s an over supply of cattle and further subs will only exasperate this.

Tell me this what’s the cost of keeping an 800 kg cow that produces 1 calf every 27 months? Just the cow

Tell me what’s your definition of a factory farm?

Tell me why you think there’d no money in contract rearing?

Tell me is every beef farmer good enough at their job to rear another’s stock?

What’s your plan for the calves next spring?
    This is the first year since spring 13 that silage is been sold above cost of production. Even up to few months ago lads were practically boasting about buying in dry cow silage for below cost of production. I’ve no problem with farmers selling silage but what are they going to do when the demand isn’t their for silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭memorystick

I went to the Beef Plan meeting last night. I didn't realize that there was so much regulation re exports and slaughter hall. Also, I knew that the IFA were/are useless but I didn't that they can be as bad as they are currently are. I wasn't impressed with all the talk about producer group. Every farmer is different. Here's to a price rise of some nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Also, I knew that the IFA were/are useless but I didn't that they can be as bad as they are currently are.

Explain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I went to the Beef Plan meeting last night. I didn't realize that there was so much regulation re exports and slaughter hall. Also, I knew that the IFA were/are useless but I didn't that they can be as bad as they are currently are. I wasn't impressed with all the talk about producer group. Every farmer is different. Here's to a price rise of some nature.

Why were you not impressed with the talk about producer groups

Slava Ukrainii

Here is another loads of Codswallop from some old fart who si more than likly 10 years behind the game.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/beef/factories-must-pay-more-for-top-grades-insists-expert-37545274.html

He is on about lean meat yield and the grid. In the grid he is saying that the difference between U grade and O garde cattle is 29c/kg. Now on the grid the gaps are if cattle are QA are

O- to U- is 54c/kg
    O= to U= is 42c/kg
    O+ to U+ is 42c/kg.

The only reason the difference may be lower than the grid is U grade cattle are out of spec and you do not have the equal volumes in the higher parts of the U grade. He is comparing Apples and Oranges. It really fighten's me the way some lads are carrying on at present with plans to try totally f@@k up the half profitable part of the beef industry to try to say a part that no matter what happens will decline anyway

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

I went to one of the meetings in the west last week. massive crowd in fairness and definitely the angriest meeting I have been at. The cause of the angry from what I could see where the beef price, factories, icbf, teagasc and any dairy farmer that expanded with a particularly dislike for any one that was using jersey blood.
    Listening to the speakers the whole idea is to increase the value of suckler progeny and devalue the animal from the dairy herd.
    It will be interesting to see will they achieve anything when push comes to achieve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

:D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Sucklers are a totally inefficient form of farming, anything that needs a hectare to bring a calf to 9 months of age can’t be anything but inefficient

The problem that dairy has is that it started to go down the jersey route - if teagasc had the foresight to push British friesan as the breed to base the grass based milk production around then we could have had top class dairy and a calf that is more than good enough for beef farmers to work with

Panch18 wrote: »
    Sucklers are a totally inefficient form of farming, anything that needs a hectare to bring a calf to 9 months of age can’t be anything but inefficient

The problem that dairy has is that it started to go down the jersey route - if teagasc had the foresight to push British friesan as the breed to base the grass based milk production around then we could have had top class dairy and a calf that is more than good enough for beef farmers to work with

I agree with the first part about sucklers. Not only that most lads on about suckler have no clue about figures. If the grid gap went from 6-10c/kg the difference on suckler steers would be immaterial and if a 380 kg weight limit came in suckler farmers would lose more than they gained. A 30c/kg price rise is 120 euro on a 400kg animals it will not make unprofitable system sustainable. Unless we go 50c/kg above the highest beef price in Europe suckler are unsustainable

In the seventies in Kerry there was a huge amount of hill sheep. In the 80's and 90's a lot of these were replaced with suckler cows. In a lot of area's where sucklers are now hill sheep may be more sustainable to draw payments.

However I am not totally convinced about the Jersey issue. It is over stated as an issue. First off it si only a 50% cross at most and then lads cross back. More of an issue is ICBF have not much data on beef prodgnery from dairy sires. We need more data to encourage dairy farmers to use the right beef sires that will produce easy calving bulls who's prodgney will have a high growth rate. This can be carried out by genetic testing of these bulls to cull low growth rate, poor terminal weight ( not really an issue if you have a high growth rate) and hard calving bulls and long gestation bulls

In the US and Canada there is a move to hybrid bulls that are 50% AA or HE and 50% Continental breeding with the emphais on low birth weights and high growth rates. In Ireland we need to carry out similar evaluation on beef sires there would be no need of hybrid breeding in bulls but the selection of bulls accross breeds for the above traits

Slava Ukrainii

Why were you not impressed with the talk about producer groups

Because not everyone has the same cash-flow or payments plan. I'm lucky in that I can pay within a week or on the day. Also, the problem isn't buying 10 10 20. it's selling the beef at a very poor price when its European equivalent is getting a better price.

Explain?

The speaker said that an IFA man was involved in the design some beef programme (Genotics or something else) and signed off on it. Maybe it was the 5 Star thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

They're having a meeting in the Cavan Crystal Hotel at 8.30 this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Base price

yewtree wrote: »
    I went to one of the meetings in the west last week. massive crowd in fairness and definitely the angriest meeting I have been at. The cause of the angry from what I could see where the beef price, factories, icbf, teagasc and any dairy farmer that expanded with a particularly dislike for any one that was using jersey blood.
    Listening to the speakers the whole idea is to increase the value of suckler progeny and devalue the animal from the dairy herd.
    It will be interesting to see will they achieve anything when push comes to achieve
    The last time we went to the Ploughing Championships (2016) I noted that when visiting the Bord Bia stand they were promoting Friesian carcasses as the most suitable for the export trade - there was a fine FR bullock on the stand. I've previously posted about it.

Anyway the Irish dairy herd has increased substantially since the abolition of quotas and we are now heading to a critical mass vis a vie livestock per ha & nitrates regulations. A substantial number of Irish dairy herds have been claiming degoration for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Here is another loads of Codswallop from some old fart who si more than likly 10 years behind the game.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/beef/factories-must-pay-more-for-top-grades-insists-expert-37545274.html

He is on about lean meat yield and the grid. In the grid he is saying that the difference between U grade and O garde cattle is 29c/kg. Now on the grid the gaps are if cattle are QA are

O- to U- is 54c/kg
    O= to U= is 42c/kg
    O+ to U+ is 42c/kg.

The only reason the difference may be lower than the grid is U grade cattle are out of spec and you do not have the equal volumes in the higher parts of the U grade. He is comparing Apples and Oranges. It really fighten's me the way some lads are carrying on at present with plans to try totally f@@k up the half profitable part of the beef industry to try to say a part that no matter what happens will decline anyway

to put this into reality. I bought a aax , the x was a friesian cow off the brother in law who's dairying. He was a big tank of a thing. I killed him a 22 months and got 4.37 a kilo. 4.10 base, 12 cent Bord Bia and 15 cent for AA

Flipside. I killed 2 top quality lim with a BB cross Id say. u= both of them. 3.70 base. 12 cent and 18 cent on the grid.

Timing was everything. I just got lucky with the aax lad. it was the best price per kilo I got this year and i had a good few U's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I suppose I've seen it all before when ICSA reformed, the emotion and the enthusiasm, you think it's all going to change,
    It's hard not to be cynical.....
    .After all there's already three organisations in an effort for better beef prices....if these new guys are the holy grail where have they been up to now, where were they in 2013 when there was a protest in the middle of Ireland beside ratheniska in Tullamore....about twenty five turned up, at least two were sheep farmers, rest were mostly dairy farmers or from Farm Centre.
    It's hard not to be cynical
    Producer groups have a place and they work, but they take work and not many will put in that work. I've been selling lambs through a group for 30 - 40 years so can't give it any thing but praise

• Advertisement

Because not everyone has the same cash-flow or payments plan. I'm lucky in that I can pay within a week or on the day. Also, the problem isn't buying 10 10 20. it's selling the beef at a very poor price when its European equivalent is getting a better price.

Producer groups as in the EU plan was for the marketing of cattle rather than what you are and maybe some BP people are talking about which are purchasing groups. As I have siad before A better price will not make any difference to a suckleer farmer unless he is inherently profitable already.

Slava Ukrainii

gerryirl wrote: »
    to put this into reality. I bought a aax , the x was a friesian cow off the brother in law who's dairying. He was a big tank of a thing. I killed him a 22 months and got 4.37 a kilo. 4.10 base, 12 cent Bord Bia and 15 cent for AA

Flipside. I killed 2 top quality lim with a BB cross Id say. u= both of them. 3.70 base. 12 cent and 18 cent on the grid.

Timing was everything. I just got lucky with the aax lad. it was the best price per kilo I got this year and i had a good few U's

That is immaterial to average UvO prices as all cattle are killed all year around which I think the ex teagasc advisor was talking about.

Slava Ukrainii

A miserly tiny mention on page 9 of this weeks journal. It would make you wonder, wouldn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

A miserly tiny mention on page 9 of this weeks journal. It would make you wonder, wouldn't it?

It would indeed.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    It would indeed.

Any reports back on last night?

Cut and pasted from the Beef Plan WhatsApp group;

Meat Industry Ireland chief reacts to Beef Plan Group tonight Thursday 22 of December on FarmLand at 8:00pm

So go onto the website and watch the video live on your phone or computer

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/agriland-launches-farmland/

That is immaterial to average UvO prices as all cattle are killed all year around which I think the ex teagasc advisor was talking about.

true .. its not immaterial to my pocket though..lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭nhg

Kilkenny Beef Plan Information Meeting:
    Wednesday 28th November, 8.00pm at Newpark Hotel, Kilkenny
    All Welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

pat73 wrote: »
    I just saw an ad for this Beef plan,40,000 farmers needed,10 euro membership,It says This is a voluntary,not for profit organisation.If they get the 40,000 members at 10 euro a head thats 400,000 euro.Im not giving out about the ability of this organisation or the work thats going to be put in,but i would like to know what the break down of where or who gets that money,before i join up.

This organisation cannot survive without funding for God's sake. If they are serious about what they are doing, they'll need money for advertising, rental of venues, administration etc Have you never been a member of an organisation similar to this previously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

Suckler bred stock not only kill out at a higher %, they also have higher meat to bone ratios. This isn't always reflected in the grid price. Believe me the beef barons don't want to see the end of the suckler cow either.

If the 'Beef Barons' don't want to see the end of sucklers, they'd better start paying farmers accordingly.

This article is worth reading. I have to agree with her point that MII are probably rubbing their hands in glee.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/comment/ann-fitzgerald-the-ifa-cannot-afford-to-dismiss-the-new-beef-plan-movement-37567064.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭older by the day

This organisation cannot survive without funding for God's sake. If they are serious about what they are doing, they'll need money for advertising, rental of venues, administration etc Have you never been a member of an organisation similar to this previously?

The milks right movement, don't hardly remember, it was about quotas, but I do remember giving 50 Euro to join at a meeting, heard nothing since

Base price wrote: »
    This article is worth reading. I have to agree with her point that MII are probably rubbing their hands in glee.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/comment/ann-fitzgerald-the-ifa-cannot-afford-to-dismiss-the-new-beef-plan-movement-37567064.html

Not really she is promoting IFA and half dismissing the Beefplan movement. At the end she is on about Micheal Drennan brain fart that will see lower prices for 70%+ of the beef that is produced.

Slava Ukrainii

Not really she is promoting IFA and half dismissing the Beefplan movement. At the end she is on about Micheal Drennan brain fart that will see lower prices for 70%+ of the beef that is produced.
    I'm obviously interpreting the article differently to you :

"The IFA has long seen itself as having the monopoly on good ideas and has been slow to support those of others, no matter how worthwhile they may be, for fear that it would be seen as a sign of weakness."

While the IFA has called for a premium for suckler stock, it is not pushing hard for a reform of the QA grid.
    I agree that the Micheal Dreannan piece is a brain fart and ain't goin to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

The meat industry is thinks it’s a fine idea. Cormac healy says” they are open to it”. Can’t seem too enthusiastic or the gombeen farmers might try and do the sums!

• Advertisement

Willfarman wrote: »
    The meat industry is thinks it’s a fine idea. Cormac healy says” they are open to it”. Can’t seem too enthusiastic or the gombeen farmers might try and do the sums!

Until a comparative figure to Healy is put front and centre of the Beef Plan we are at nothing. We need a representative that will be able to go toe to toe in interview situations and not be in a stuttering mess when push comes to shove. Healy is well versed and seeing Ranglers crowd are so greased up and are another cog in the MII wheel we have nowhere to turn bar the beef plan. At the moment the beef plan seems very rudderless, you could for once almost say too many Indians and not enough chiefs! Meetings seem to be all bluster with great soundbites and fighting talk. Well that same talk is very cheap and passion and our gra for farming won't cut it with the big boys. We will be swatted away like flies. It is the greatest con job of all time what is happening. Yes the kill is high but the tonnage of beef wouldnt be within an asses roar of heavier suckler bred or dare i say it british fresian crossed stock of even 5 years ago. There has to be a part time farmer somewhere who has a highend job that requires a lot of communication and dealing with big contracts that would able to sit in on an interview with the likes of Healy and turn the screw the other way for a change.

I'm obviously interpreting the article differently to you :

"The IFA has long seen itself as having the monopoly on good ideas and has been slow to support those of others, no matter how worthwhile they may be, for fear that it would be seen as a sign of weakness."

While the IFA has called for a premium for suckler stock, it is not pushing hard for a reform of the QA grid.
    I agree that the Micheal Dreannan piece is a brain fart and ain't goin to happen.

I am not sure about that it is gaining traction with the save the suckler brigade who do not understand the sums involved or the economics of it. Every week there seems to be another guru who should know better promoting it. Remember Teagasc is now fairly dependent on it funding from GLAS and KT groups which is in a large part made up of suckler farmers. n my area we are the only cattle/livestock group all the rest are suckler farmers KT groups. And even in our group there is a few suckler farmers

Slava Ukrainii

Gort Mart meeting on next Tuesday 4th. It's a bit of a spin for me but I want to support it all the same. My fear though is it will be just a lot of hot air and all negativity. I tend to stay away from all farm politics but I like the energy of this one. If only one good thing comes out of it, it will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

I am not sure about that it is gaining traction with the save the suckler brigade who do not understand the sums involved or the economics of it. Every week there seems to be another guru who should know better promoting it. Remember Teagasc is now fairly dependent on it funding from GLAS and KT groups which is in a large part made up of suckler farmers. n my area we are the only cattle/livestock group all the rest are suckler farmers KT groups. And even in our group there is a few suckler farmers

This is a bone of contention among farmers ,Teagasc instead of being financed centrally ,has become dependent on clawback from farmers ,this reduces the level of subsidy and with other costs involved ie vets the schemes are not worthwhile .
    Subsidy should be subsidy not a mickey mouse exercise . Farming and suckler farming in particular is only made viable by subsidy ,there was some case to be made for the clawback during the recession but it is vital now that farm organisations reverse this trend.

That's the reason that no one is looking to review the grid.....Os are too dear at the mo. Only review can be reduce the price of Os
    If you wanted to be fair to producers of good cattle the grid should be reviewed, That grid was probably based on a different price at the time...the increments should be a percentage to the base price,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Apologies if this has been asked already but is the Beef Plan Movement going to do anything before it gets its magic number of 40,000 members? Or is it a case of get the numbers first, then start agitating?

I'm in the WhatsApp group for my county and I'm getting a bit fed up of being bombarded with "fighting talk" and whinging from the organisers that farmers need to do more work for the Movement by pestering their neighbours to get involved.

Apart from the various meetings, has anyone from the Movement met with processors? Have they spoken to retailers? Have they analysed the wider consumer trends on food consumption?

I'm all for fighting and getting a fair price. But with everyone's time so scarce these days we need to see the bigger picture and pick the right battles. Processors are part of the problem, but we've already lost if we think getting an extra few cent/kg will make the good 'ol days return.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Apologies if this has been asked already but is the Beef Plan Movement going to do anything before it gets its magic number of 40,000 members? Or is it a case of get the numbers first, then start agitating?

I'm in the WhatsApp group for my county and I'm getting a bit fed up of being bombarded with "fighting talk" and whinging from the organisers that farmers need to do more work for the Movement by pestering their neighbours to get involved.

Apart from the various meetings, has anyone from the Movement met with processors? Have they spoken to retailers? Have they analysed the wider consumer trends on food consumption?

I'm all for fighting and getting a fair price. But with everyone's time so scarce these days we need to see the bigger picture and pick the right battles. Processors are part of the problem, but we've already lost if we think getting an extra few cent/kg will make the good 'ol days return.

They'll have to handle the Comp authority before I'd have anything to do with them. Last fines started at €500000 and the last I heard they were arresting individual farmers when they couldn't get an organisation to hang it on.
    Wonder what the implications of having those messages on your phone are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭older by the day

It all about organisation now, numbers don't mean nothing if people are pulling in every direction. It can put pressure on I.F.A. to do some work maybe. The most important thing now is to pick ONE, WINNABLE battle, stick to it. Throw everything at it and show people that its possible to make a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

I have to agree with you. I was in the initial what’s app group and left for the reasons you describe.
    What you say about the analysis of consumer demand is 100% correct. We are on the point of losing our best customer through brexit and the meat shelves and butchers counter in supermarkets seems to be getting smaller every 6 months. I think we have to just face up to the fact that beef is a high value low margin luxury product. Our days producing it are numbered. By the way I would have fought against what I have just said a year or two ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭tractorporn

Have to say I'm feeling the same. The message that went up this morning really got me thinking. Pleading with farmers to add one number to the WhatsApp group so that the numbers could rise to 60k quickly. I don't see the point of having 40 or 60 thousand people signed up on WhatsApp, it's meaningless anyone can be added to the group doesn't mean they will do anything when the time comes.

Have to say I'm feeling the same. The message that went up this morning really got me thinking. Pleading with farmers to add one number to the WhatsApp group so that the numbers could rise to 60k quickly. I don't see the point of having 40 or 60 thousand people signed up on WhatsApp, it's meaningless anyone can be added to the group doesn't mean they will do anything when the time comes.

I can see where your coming from about the message but taking 3.70 a kilo for beef is meaningless too so do we keep doing the same thing or try something. I'd rather fail trying thnt not trying at all

The one area I can see the Beef Plan running into bother is the lads that kill high numbers. They get a different price to joe bloggs and people like myself that kill insignificant numbers each year. Will they want to rock the boat when the time comes if they have 50 or a 100 head of cattle to go and get a text not to send them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭tractorporn

I can see where your coming from about the message but taking 3.70 a kilo for beef is meaningless too so do we keep doing the same thing or try something. I'd rather fail trying thnt not trying at all

I agree I think it's a good idea and something needs to be done and they have a good plan. But I just think they would be better off with 4k engaged members than 40k half arsed lads.

The one area I can see the Beef Plan running into bother is the lads that kill high numbers. They get a different price to joe bloggs and people like myself that kill insignificant numbers each year. Will they want to rock the boat when the time comes if they have 50 or a 100 head of cattle to go and get a text not to send them ?
    TBH how would you expect someone with 50 or 100 head of factory fit cattle to hold them for a number of days when each day is going to cost them €3.50+ per head/day. I'm not talking about lads who are feeding cattle on contract for the factories but genuine finishers who are trying to make a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

It all about organisation now, numbers don't mean nothing if people are pulling in every direction. It can put pressure on I.F.A. to do some work maybe. The most important thing now is to pick ONE, WINNABLE battle, stick to it. Throw everything at it and show people that its possible to make a difference

The first thing they should do is target that taepot Creeds local office and get the EID tagging of sheep thrown out. Very winnable battle and would ave the sheep men rowing in behind them . Remember they at war with the factories as well. Need all on the one ship

TBH how would you expect someone with 50 or 100 head of factory fit cattle to hold them for a number of days when each day is going to cost them €3.50+ per head/day. I'm not talking about lads who are feeding cattle on contract for the factories but genuine finishers who are trying to make a living.

Are you finally seeing the light, there is no practical way to put pressure on processors to increase prices. Totally immature and unreasonable to expect anyone come up with a solution when you're not prepared to support any effort.
    You've finally highlighted the c..p that I'm dealing with for the last 30 years from beef farmers
    In 2001 We held back cattle for three weeks to get a price and the farmers only let it hold for a few weeks when they started throwing cattle at the factories again.
    I hope that the Beef plan movement take warning from your post because there's a lot more like you

• Advertisement
Advertisement