Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast at your desk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Love eating at my desk, and watching some Netflix at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Off the point slightly. Arrive early into work early each day, chow down in the canteen. Every morning there’s an auld lad slurping his breakfast, big gummy thicko. Bowl up to the mouth, can't get enough of the milk. Last Friday was mauling meat he had heated up. Dirty fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Dining ‘al desko’ is one of the signs of the downfall of civilisation. It’s safe to say I work in a job that is more challenging than what most of you do (civil service or IT support). Yet I never eat at my desk. So either get up earlier, work smarter, plan your day better, or stay later. But don’t be stuffing your gob with sausage rolls at your desk while surfing the internet.

This sort of stuff is basic decorum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Off the point slightly. Arrive early into work early each day, chow down in the canteen. Every morning there’s an auld lad slurping his breakfast, big gummy thicko. Bowl up to the mouth, can't get enough of the milk. Last Friday was mauling meat he had heated up. Dirty fecker.

He's probably wondering who the pervy fella who keeps staring at him is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Currently eating some warmed kippers, a couple of hard boiled eggs and some anchovy soup that I brought from home and heated the kippers and soup in the microwave.

I want everyone to know I'm on a health kick so I've set my desk fans to blow the smell around the office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

rusty cole wrote: »
    eating a can of tuna and an apple at me desk whilst typing now, I think many do this kind of thing.

Tuna? Only the very smelliest of fish... bet your neighbour loves you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Tuna? Only the very smelliest of fish... bet your neighbour loves you.
    I like warmed tuna with melted cheese. Only in the work microwaves of course.

Problem is the odor remains for most of the day

Dining ‘al desko’ is one of the signs of the downfall of civilisation. It’s safe to say I work in a job that is more challenging than what most of you do (civil service or IT support). Yet I never eat at my desk. So either get up earlier, work smarter, plan your day better, or stay later. But don’t be stuffing your gob with sausage rolls at your desk while surfing the internet.

:D ah welcome back!

How's the job hunting going ?

Has your Mam kicked you out of the house yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

TomSweeney wrote: »
    :D ah welcome back!

How's the job hunting going ?

Has your Mam kicked you out of the house yet ?

Sorry, who are you?

I hope you aren’t one of those people on this site who follow me around from thread to thread like a tramp looking for change. That’s very off putting for a casual poster like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Sometimes dining 'al desko' is the only time you get a bit of peace at lunchtime when you can't face going to the canteen and it's raining out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

No, as I eat my breakfast at home.

Sorry, who are you?

I hope you aren’t one of those people on this site who follow me around from thread to thread like a tramp looking for change. That’s very off putting for a casual poster like myself.
    Haha!
    I actually really like your posts - for comedy reading.
    I read them in Christian Bale's voice from American Psycho - makes them even funnier.

As for the veracity of your posts, sorry you're not fooling anyone - maybe yourself.

• Site Banned Posts: 21 Greengrant

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Haha!
    I actually really like your posts - for comedy reading.
    I read them in Christian Bale's voice from American Psycho - makes them even funnier.

As for the veracity of your posts, sorry you're not fooling anyone - maybe yourself.

Always one who can't just let Aongus be Aongus :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

We have free fruit in work. Every morning I have a banana for breakfast and then go for an early lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Greengrant wrote: »
    What annoys me is when people leave their half eaten bowl of weetabix in the sink. By 10am the kitchen sink and countertop is full of dirty bowls, it's disgusting. The cleaner then has to clean this up, which isn't part of their job.

We had this, people leaving dirty dishes for the cleaner. A few complaints were made and everyone was informed the cleaner would not be doing people's dishes. Worked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Think it should be banned in an agile hotdesking workspace. Maybe have a few benches and tables scattered around the place people can meander over to instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

3 eggs scrambled every morning and hoovered up at my desk.
    Nice big open area and I'm in early so no issues.

Most of us eat at our desk. I'll also go for an earlier lunch to avoid the canteen being mental and noisy. I like a bit of peace and to read for lunch time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

rusty cole wrote: »
    eating a can of tuna and an apple at me desk whilst typing now, I think many do this kind of thing.

Tbh I'd say people are repulsed at the stink of the tuna. It's one thing that makes me gag.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

This post reminds me of a Simpsons scene where Grandpa Simpson starts talking under a tree to a load of kids and one says "Listen up, an old person is talking" and they all gather around to listen to his story intently. Which happens exactly never.

Ireland has a thriving high-tech industry where creative people work in a casual environment, casual dress, flexible working hours, working from home etc. So doesn't hurt to let people save 10 mins a day by eating at their desk, people tend to be money rich and time poor these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

rgodard80a wrote: »
    Ireland has a thriving high-tech industry where creative people work in a casual environment, casual dress, flexible working hours, working from home etc. So doesn't hurt to let people save 10 mins a day by eating at their desk, people tend to be money rich and time poor these days.

This thinking is so arseways. Give it time, the career bubble will burst...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Think it should be banned in an agile hotdesking workspace. Maybe have a few benches and tables scattered around the place people can meander over to instead.

Or a canteen.

• Site Banned Posts: 21 Greengrant

rgodard80a wrote: »
    This post reminds me of a Simpsons scene where Grandpa Simpson starts talking under a tree to a load of kids and one says "Listen up, an old person is talking" and they all gather around to listen to his story intently. Which happens exactly never.

People have just as much time as they ever had in the day, 24 hours. With less tasks to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Never really thought about how it would be perceived but when I was doing an internship in Dublin I used to be pretty early for work because of the the bus in the morning. I'd usually grab a roll and myself and my colleague that I shared an office with would have a coffee and a chat at our desks before starting work at 9. We didn't have a canteen but our office was at the end of a corridor away from the actual workers so we weren't disturbing anyone.

I work in hospitality now though so eating on the fly is the only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

No, I have breakfast at home. I do eat lunch at my desk though.

Always eat breakfast at my desk and catch up on the news, means more sleep and not having to leave the house as early. A few mugs of tea and something to eat when I get in to the office is my daily routine.

I rarely eat lunch at my desk though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I have to. I work out, fasted, before work. Arrive to the job, have shower, put on make up, then to my desk to eat my brekkie and have tea while checking on the emails, before the work day starts properly.

The communal kitchen doesnt have seats so Id have to stand at the sink eating otherwise. Everyone in my job eats at their desk. They even have company skype meetings over lunch time that everyone has to attend sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

....... wrote: »
    I have to. I work out, fasted, before work. Arrive to the job, have shower, put on make up, then to my desk to eat my brekkie and have tea while checking on the emails, before the work day starts properly.

The communal kitchen doesnt have seats so Id have to stand at the sink eating otherwise. Everyone in my job eats at their desk. They even have company skype meetings over lunch time that everyone has to attend sometimes.

They could get away to feck with that ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    Never really thought about how it would be perceived but when I was doing an internship in Dublin I used to be pretty early for work because of the the bus in the morning. I'd usually grab a roll and myself and my colleague that I shared an office with would have a coffee and a chat at our desks before starting work at 9. We didn't have a canteen but our office was at the end of a corridor away from the actual workers so we weren't disturbing anyone.

I work in hospitality now though so eating on the fly is the only way to go.

I used to have a job where I started at 8 and everyone else started at 9. I'd grab a coffee and microwave some oatmeal and eat it at my desk.

there was a canteen in the building and there were people on my team who'd bring a full fry, beans and all, to their desks. The dirty plates would sit there till the evening. Sometimes they'd be there for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Grayson wrote: »
    I used to have a job where I started at 8 and everyone else started at 9. I'd grab a coffee and microwave some oatmeal and eat it at my desk.

there was a canteen in the building and there were people on my team who'd bring a full fry, beans and all, to their desks. The dirty plates would sit there till the evening. Sometimes they'd be there for days.

I'd say the office smelled rank with all the eggs & beans being munched and gases being expelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Greengrant wrote: »
    People have just as much time as they ever had in the day, 24 hours. With less tasks to do.

Nope.

People are living further away from their jobs, with longer commutes either via public transport or driving in worsening traffic.
    Couples may both have to work and take turns trying to drop the kids off/collect them from school or the like.

Advertisement