Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast at your desk

Options
  • 04-02-2019 10:24am
    Site Banned Posts: 21

A lot of people eat breakfast at their desk in work in the mornings, is this something you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

Yes, why?
    I am currently sitting at my desk eating a bowl of weetabix :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yup, granola and yogurt, a few bits of fruit later on and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,264 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

What does Kate think?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I don't eat breakfast but in the times I attempted it I ate it in the car as people are too passremarkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

For breakfast I'll go to the canteen for 15 minutes and read the paper, for lunch I eat it at my desk. Far too noisy in the canteen at that time, it can be like like a turkey farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

No eating at desks in work, proper order too.
    We had a few grazers... had to bring in the policy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Have some dignity, don't eat at your place of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Tabnabs wrote: »

You spend more time at your place of work during the week than at home. Why wouldn't you eat there?

Nothing wrong with eating at your desk at work. You're expected to sit there for eight or nine hours a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Nothing wrong with it, I like seeing people do it actually, makes work feel a bit more homely and comfortable. But I just find it more comfortable eating in my own home before I leave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I eat at my desk some mornings but its more of a timing thing for me.

I was finding that if I ate when I got up (between 7.30-8am ish) that I would get hungry earlier, end up going for lunch maybe at 12.30ish, and then find it hard to last the afternook wtihout the desire to snack.

By eating between 9- 9.30, this just pushes everything else out a bit and then I don't have the same afternoon slump.

I never eat anything antisocial (ie, anything with a strong smell)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I think there's something wrong with people that do this. I see people do it in our office and it really annoys me. We've a massive canteen area, eat there ffs! And they have lunch there too. And sometimes it stinks. Really grinds my gears

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Depends on your place of work.
    Undertakers.... no.

But in a modern office with a casual culture, why not.

Although I do remember a Dilbert cartoon saying that eating at your desk was like stealing from the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I generally would limit my eating at the desk to simple foods like a banana or a scone , wouldn't be eating bowls of cereal or anything .

I have no problem with it once it's not smelly food but I hate when they leave a dirty bowl or plate at their desk for hours , that's just manky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

evil_seed wrote: »
    I think there's something wrong with people that do this. I see people do it in our office and it really annoys me. We've a massive canteen area, eat there ffs! And they have lunch there too. And sometimes it stinks. Really grinds my gears

If I'm eating hot food for lunch I'll go to the canteen, but if it's cold I'll just eat it at my desk.

Anyone who micro-waves fish in an office deserves to be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

If it stinks then don't bring it in and have some respect for other people. I sit right beside the door of the canteen and I have gone home about 10 times in the 4 years working here because someone has brought in Seafood Chowder and stank the place out. Everyone else sits there and puts up with it. F**k that, I am not sitting there with the place smelling like a prostitutes fanny.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I work in a posh restaurant though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Bowl of Weetabix/porridge at my desk.

I'm usually there an hour and a half earlier than anyone else.

evil_seed wrote: »
    I think there's something wrong with people that do this.

Yeah, they're hungry.

Leaving the house 15 mins early can avoid more traffic/commuting issues.
    So it's worth getting in earlier.

And people typically can eat and work at the same time, especially early morning catching up on e-mails, updates before they are constantly interrupted later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I always eat at my desk, I'm eating my "breakfast" for want of a better word right now. I'm having some mixed nuts and a very juicy pear. Yum yum:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I always eat at my desk, I'm eating my "breakfast" for want of a better word right now. I'm having some mixed nuts and a very juicy pear. Yum yum:D

I'm sure your colleague with the nut allergy is enjoying every slurp of that pear as you dine al desko. You animal.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 21 Greengrant

What annoys me is when people leave their half eaten bowl of weetabix in the sink. By 10am the kitchen sink and countertop is full of dirty bowls, it's disgusting. The cleaner then has to clean this up, which isn't part of their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

PARlance wrote: »
    I'm sure your colleague with the nut allergy is enjoying every slurp of that pear as you dine al desko. You animal.

He is a little bit wheezy, now you mention it. I think i'll buy him a snickers to cheer him up;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I'll eat something not noisy or smelly at my desk. Like a sandwich or something.

It wrecks my head hearing people noisily scraping their cereal bowl or obnoxiously crunching on an apple.

Greengrant wrote: »
    The cleaner then has to clean this up, which isn't part of their job.

:rolleyes:

We had a toxic little short ass male cleaner who used to take plates off peoples desks @ 10am and throw the contents (crumbs) on the floor in a passive aggressive tantrum. He had received more complaints to HR than anyone else in the history of the company from a diverse range of people.

If they don't want the job, fire the cleaners and hire some hard working Polish to do it.

• Site Banned Posts: 21 Greengrant

rgodard80a wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

We had a toxic little short ass male cleaner who used to take plates off peoples desks @ 10am and throw the contents (crumbs) on the floor in a passive aggressive tantrum. He had received more complaints to HR than anyone else in the history of the company from a diverse range of people.

If they don't want the job, fire the cleaners and hire some hard working Polish to do it.

The cleaners could well be polish, they're foreign usually. They haven't complained as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I used to eat breakfast at my desk as I just didn't have time in the morning. Since I moved house I do have it at home, as being so much closer to work means I can have a leisurely enough morning- and my mental health is better for it.

I don't eat at my desk in my current job, but have done in previous ones. It's just not the done thing here.

Never bothered anyone in my last job- except for the arsehole who microwaved fish and stank the place out (the air circulation system meant that the place still smelled of fish 2 days later).

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

It wrecks my head hearing people noisily scraping their cereal bowl or obnoxiously crunching on an apple.

Nothing worse than a noisy masticator.

eating a can of tuna and an apple at me desk whilst typing now, I think many do this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I eat kippers and fermented herring at my desk

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It's all part of the 'career dream' that big companies sell to gullible people.

Please don't gobble food at your desk. You owe yourself that much. And please get regular breaks, walks and stretches. It is inevitable that your laptop use will lead to physical problems down the line (eyes, neck, head, hips etc).

Advertisement