Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast at your desk

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

They could get away to feck with that ****e.

I agree.

I usually either "have an appointment in town at lunchtime" or I join it but put it on mute :D

• Site Banned Posts: 21 Greengrant

rgodard80a wrote: »
    Nope.

People are living further away from their jobs, with longer commutes either via public transport or driving in worsening traffic.
    Couples may both have to work and take turns trying to drop the kids off/collect them from school or the like.

Dishwasher, washing machines etc give people more spare time than they had before these appliances were introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'd say the office smelled rank with all the eggs & beans being munched and gases being expelled.

Horrible. There was one guy who used to put his dirty plate into his desk drawer with the plan to drop it off at the dishwasher on the way to lunch. Sometimes he'd have days of plates piled up in his drawer. He had a tub of butter in it for toast that went mouldy.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Greengrant wrote: »
    Dishwasher, washing machines etc give people more spare time than they had before these appliances were introduced.

That was literally generations ago.
    Don't forget that the horseless carriage also sped up peoples commute.

• Site Banned Posts: 21 Greengrant

That was literally generations ago.
    Don't forget that the horseless carriage also sped up peoples commute.

It's wrong to say we have less time than ever and overly dramatic. We are lucky to be born in such prosperous times with such great opportunity.

• Advertisement

Greengrant wrote: »
    It's wrong to say we have less time than ever and overly dramatic.

There's plenty of people who work in Dublin but commute from one or more counties away. I've personally known people commuting to Dublin daily from Gorey, Carlow, Portarlington, Mullingar, Dundalk etc.

A 9 to 5 job with 3-4 hours of commuting on top of that is "time poor", with maybe an hour or two tops in the evening if you don't take the "8 hours of sleep" recommendation too seriously.

So it's no wonder that people get into work, maybe delayed by the commute and grab some food at their desk to try and catch up and fingers crossed make it out in time to avoid the worse of the traffic on their way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Always have breakfast before I leave the house, even if I'm running late. Would never eat it at my desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭ohfa6muwtsvkc1

I prefer eating at the desk, allows for browsing the news and reading some emails. I'll recant to the kitchen for a cuppa afterwards though for chat.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

I eat breakfast at home before I go to work. What other non work related things are acceptable at a work place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭ohfa6muwtsvkc1

I eat breakfast at home before I go to work. What other non work related things are acceptable at a work place?

Drinking water? Going to the toilet?

• Advertisement

We use one of the meeting rooms to use a foam roller/hockey ball.

The perils of a seated job, tight hip flexors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I've eaten my meals at my desk . It frees up my lunch break to do stuff I want to do.

It may not be "work related" but food and drink are a basic human need.

It depends how progressive your company is.
    I.T. companies have all sorts of extras, like free fruit, commercial grade coffee machines, gym/fitness classes before work starts, health screenings, pool tables and dart boards, maybe subsidized canteens etc.
    Its the "Google effect" and other I.T. companies have to compete for decent staff.

Most companies will allow you to make standard personal phone calls and maybe are flexible with your work hours when necessary if you're not customer facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭mikeecho

It may not be "work related" but food and drink are a basic human need.

It depends how progressive your company is.
    I.T. companies have all sorts of extras, like free fruit, commercial grade coffee machines, gym/fitness classes before work starts, health screenings, pool tables and dart boards, maybe subsidized canteens etc.
    Its the "Google effect" and other I.T. companies have to compete for decent staff.

Most companies will allow you to make standard personal phone calls and maybe are flexible with your work hours when necessary if you're not customer facing.

Don't be rediculas.. get back to work mining coal. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If it stinks then don't bring it in and have some respect for other people. I sit right beside the door of the canteen and I have gone home about 10 times in the 4 years working here because someone has brought in Seafood Chowder and stank the place out. Everyone else sits there and puts up with it. F**k that, I am not sitting there with the place smelling like a prostitutes fanny.

Go to HR & get them to put a ban on microwaving or reheating any thing fishy. Don't just have a moan for your own sake, but tell them the whole building reeks & do they really want visitors, clients, customers etc etc thinking the place smells like a fish factory?

It may sound like over kill, but it worked a treat in my last job. Took about 3/4 months for everyone to get with the program, but once they put signs on the actual microwave doors (and in multiple languages too) explaining why the smell permeated the whole building, people copped on.

Unless HR sit near the canteen/break room, they may not be aware of how bad a problem it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Go to HR & get them to put a ban on microwaving or reheating any thing fishy. Don't just have a moan for your own sake, but tell them the whole building reeks & do they really want visitors, clients, customers etc etc thinking the place smells like a fish factory?

It may sound like over kill, but it worked a treat in my last job. Took about 3/4 months for everyone to get with the program, but once they put signs on the actual microwave doors (and in multiple languages too) explaining why the smell permeated the whole building, people copped on.

Unless HR sit near the canteen/break room, they may not be aware of how bad a problem it is.

Unfortunately we are a small(ish) company. About 45 people and there is no HR department. So it's quite difficult to complain about it without everyone knowing its me that complained. I'll just continue to go home or to a "meeting" ;). It doesn't happen too often anyway.
    Our office is quite small too so it stinks the whole place out, directors and all smell it too but no one says anything or if they do they say it like its a joke.
    We have clients and visitors in our office all the time so I am surprised no one high up has said anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

45 is a decent amount of people. Is there no one there who takes care of payroll, sick days, the hiring & firing etc etc? Go to them.

Or go rogue and take care of it yourself. Make up a few signs. Get them laminated. Acquire some Super Glue. Go into work early one morning & afix the signs to the microwave door, the door of the fridge & on the wall nearby. Then act all innocent like, when people ask who put them up. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

45 is a decent amount of people. Is there no one there who takes care of payroll, sick days, the hiring & firing etc etc? Go to them.

Or go rogue and take care of it yourself. Make up a few signs. Get them laminated. Acquire some Super Glue. Go into work early one morning & afix the signs to the microwave door, the door of the fridge & on the wall nearby. Then act all innocent like, when people ask who put them up. ;)

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I do but it's generally just a can of Diet Coke and a cereal bar. I'm dealing with clients all the time so really shouldn't even have that. :o I try to scoff it down when there's no one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

evil_seed wrote: »
    I think there's something wrong with people that do this. I see people do it in our office and it really annoys me. We've a massive canteen area, eat there ffs! And they have lunch there too. And sometimes it stinks. Really grinds my gears

It is the stink of food that gets to me. Breakfast not so much, but lunch in an already poorly ventilated and claustrophobic office? Yuck.

Time away from the desk is important too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Absolutely. I'm up at 6am and out the door for 6:30 so have no time to get something at home, plus I don't want to wake a sleeping baby. Currently eating a cream cheese bagel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I also really dislike when people eat strong smelling, greasy, crumb dropping foods at their desk in an open plan office. Just use the canteen ffs.

I don't see how eating at your desk saves time. If you're going to be leaving your desk anyway, it takes the same amount of time to eat your food in the canteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭klm1

I don't mind eating at the desk, I'm in before anyone else most days and have my breakfast in peace at my desk instead of going to the communal canteen and meeting people from other companies at breakfast. Some of my work mates eat theirs later in the morning and it definitely makes the place feel more cosy.

This thing with fish in the microwave really fukks me off though, we have someone from another company who heats fish in the communal canteen at least 1 lunch time per week. The thing is that on the days he does it, you can hear a chorus of 'what animal cooked fish in here', 'who the hell's eating manky fish' and other protestations. All of which he must hear, but it doesn't stop him. Apart from how disgusting microwaved fish must be, I think it's hugely disrespectful to everyone else.

Also, untidy desks, eating at your desk is fine, but clean up after yourself. We have a girl here who comes in late every morning, then sits at her desk grazing from a lidl shopping bag for large parts of the day. Her desk constantly looks like a pig sty.

It would be a tad awkward in a classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

It's all kind of done between the directors and 1 admin staff. Be hard to complain about it anonymously without everyone knowing.

One of the lads behind me just informed me of his lovely lunch today, fish pie. I shall start packing my bag now so :)

Ah I have put up signs before about keeping the fridge clean, cleaning the coffee machine, keeping the sink empty and just putting stuff in the dishwasher. They are all ignored so adding another one will just be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Place I used to work, large call centre, ones were bringing in plates of dinner and eating at the desk! It was only stopped because a room was split between call centre and admin only staff, the admin would sit and eat a big dinner at the desk for half an hour and then head off on a one hour dinner break - call centre staff seen this and rared up.

spodoinkle wrote: »
    Place I used to work, large call centre, ones were bringing in plates of dinner and eating at the desk! It was only stopped because a room was split between call centre and admin only staff, the admin would sit and eat a big dinner at the desk for half an hour and then head off on a one hour dinner break - call centre staff seen this and rared up.

Why?

Surely if they were eating at their desk it was so they could work at the same time?

Lots of people in my job do that so it frees up the lunch hour to do something like go to gym, play football, go to shops etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭klm1

....... wrote: »
    Why?

Surely if they were eating at their desk it was so they could work at the same time?

Lots of people in my job do that so it frees up the lunch hour to do something like go to gym, play football, go to shops etc...

I think the point was that they were eating their lunch at the desk and then heading off out on a 1hour lunch break. Clearly flouting the system. This annoyed other workers, understandably.

klm1 wrote: »
    I think the point was that they were eating their lunch at the desk and then heading off out on a 1hour lunch break. Clearly flouting the system. This annoyed other workers, understandably.

I understand the point - its the norm where I work - people eat at their desk to free up lunch hour for non eating activities.

How is it flouting the system?

If you can work while you eat then what difference does it make if you eat at your desk and then go out for an hour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

lol going by some of the above comments, you would hate me in the office as I eat a full fry at my desk every morning. And yes I'm very noisy and there's grease everywhere.

Advertisement