Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Decided to stop eating meat approximately last October but still fish.

In the beginning it was a bit tricky but eventually got up and running with the idea. Christmas came and of course was the usual turkey, ham etc and I said OK, I'll have it for Christmas and that was that.
    New year came and have not eaten meat or had alcohol either ( I liked a beer at weekends the same as anyone else). I find it surprisingly easy and find now the cravings for meat are fewer and fewer.

The reasons I suppose were I was working briefly in an abottoir ( outside contractor) and saw what goes on.
    The cattles last moments ( after being transported in the back of a trailer) are in a cold, wet, **** covered environment, and they do know what's coming next. I know this from experience because I've worked in the same abottoir ( again with outside contractor for renovation) and saw one escape.
    It fell out of the killing chamber, ran up the line ( past the dismembered carcasses) and out the loading bay door and down into the forest, quickly being chased by 4 or 5 guys in white trying to catch it. You can guess who I was shouting for.

The effects of this diet change are as follows. Firstly I work in an extremely manual environment, various types of roofing.

In the beginning ( I'm mid 40s now), I thought my penis stopped working. My mind was writing cheques that my body couldn't cash, if you know what I mean.
    But after some time, I 'm not bloated from food stuck inside my system, have lost a healthy bit of weight, feel healthier and more confident, just better about myself.

And finally my cock is back to normal, even better I suppose due to my stomach losing a nice few pound.

Long term I don't know, I'll see how it all pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Right. let's not beat around the bush anymore.. it looks like the consumption of meat is terrible both for the environment and for our physical health.

I know we get nowhere preaching or criticising, but I'm interested to know if boardsies have cut back?

You might want to get that nervous twitch checked out. It can be sign of vitamin B6, B12, D, or calcium deficiency.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/511834-vitamin-deficiency-with-muscle-twitches/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,879 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Thespoofer wrote: »

In the beginning it was a bit tricky but eventually got up and running with the idea. Christmas came and of course was the usual turkey, ham etc and I said OK, I'll have it for Christmas and that was that.
    New year came and have not eaten meat or had alcohol either ( I liked a beer at weekends the same as anyone else). I find it surprisingly easy and find now the cravings for meat are fewer and fewer.

Your story about the cow upset me.

I had the same coming up to Christmas: was wondering what to eat but had a delicious salmon roast, which fed 4 of us.

I would not be able to eat meat now, it’s like I just stopped one day and had no desire to go back ever. I can’t really explain it.

I do find it more expensive, good fish is expensive. I’ve a leather suite and very expensive leather jackets and bags.

I’m not getting rid, just won’t buy again.

I think what this has done for me is get me thinking more on a bigger picture and be more aware of where things come from . For example I don’t buy those cheap bobble hats, the fur is bits of animals from China.

I have friends who say, are you still at that aul nonsense, which is annoying, I don’t push my views on anyone else, I just do what I can.

Drink next for me as well.

' I would not be able to eat meat now, it’s like I just stopped one day and had no desire to go back ever. I can’t really explain it.'

This. The exact same thing happened to me.

At the moment I'm not saying I'll never again eat it but for now I just don't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Right. let's not beat around the bush anymore.. it looks like the consumption of meat is terrible both for the environment and for our physical health.
    I know we get nowhere preaching or criticising, but I'm interested to know if boardsies have cut back?

Nope. Wrong. An agenda driven by plant-based protein companies and nutcases who are trying to dictate what we eat. You'd want your head examined to believe that bull**** tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭MFPM

gozunda wrote: »
    Nope. Wrong. An agenda driven by plant-based protein companies and nutcases who are trying to dictate what we eat. You'd want your head examined to believe that bull**** tbh.

What an idiotic reponse. Isn't that what every single meat production company does too - who doesn't have an agenda?
    You'd want your head examined to believe that bull**** tbh.

Perhaps you could give us the benefit of your insights on the matter - given that it's 'bull****....the floor is yours..

Giveaway wrote: »
    These mininal meat diets are based on a big fallacy, the people studied don,t eat much meat. But i suspect they are not even considering non official sources of protein such as insect based food and bush meat. If one looked at a Sierra Leone work gang making a road in the jungle and just considered their rations one would see a low meat diet. However when not workinf the guys spend a lot of time trapping and eating(almost any animal caught)

Ethiopa for example has 53 million cattle and a comparable number of other types of livestock. Dairy products and meat from these livestock provide a valuable source of high quality protein and income for many millions of small farmers and rural dwellers. But hey let's listen to the food facists that are telling us that meat and animal products are baddddd!

Food racists :)

MFPM wrote: »
    What an idiotic reponse. Isn't that what every single meat production company does too - who doesn't have an agenda? Perhaps you could give us the benefit of your insights on the matter - given that it's 'bull****....the floor is yours..

And an "idiotic" (your words) reactionary reply :rolleyes:
    Wrong we don't see any propaganda campaign rubbishing 'plant based foods' but there is an apparently endless anti-livestock mantra. Perhaps you could provide your own contribution rather than attacking that of others.

There is plenty of good information out there about the rubbish being pushed against a normal healthy diet incorporating a full range of foods including meat and dairy products

Heres one for starters. Enjoy.

https://www.nutritionadvance.com/vegan-propaganda-and-meat/[url][/url]

Food racists :)

That was 'food facist'
    Yup unfortunately - its a 'thing'
    Food Facists

noun

a person who shows extreme, intolerant views in relation to food

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/food-fascist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭MFPM

And an idiotic reactionary reply :rolleyes:
    Wrong we don't see any propaganda campaign rubbishing 'plant based foods' but there is an apparently endless anti-livestock mantra. Perhaps you could provide your own contribution rather than attacking that of others.

There is plenty of good information out there about the rubbish being pushed against a normal healthy diet incorporating a full range of foods including meat and dairy products

Heres one for starters. Enjoy.

https://www.nutritionadvance.com/vegan-propaganda-and-meat/[url][/url]
    And an idiotic reactionary reply

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so thank you and as for 'reactionary', I'd suggest you consult a dictionary and don't display your idiocy by misusing words.
    Wrong we don't see any propaganda campaign rubbishing 'plant based foods' but there is an apparently endless anti-livestock mantra.

The 'propoganda' campaign against meat based diets doesn't seek to rubbish it, it seeks to legitimately question them on environmental, health and ethical grounds.

There are constant campaigns by various interest groups in favour of meat eating and meat productuion - look at the hysterical reaction to the recent lancet report. It's absurd to dispute this.
    Perhaps you could provide your own contribution rather than attacking that of others.

Unlike you I didn't make any statements that necissitated any further 'contribution' - I questioned your statement.
    There is plenty of good information out there about the rubbish

Why is it rubbish, again you make an unsubstantiated judgemental statement but you make no effort to substantiate it.
    being pushed against a normal healthy diet incorporating a full range of foods including meat and dairy products

I have a healthy diet that doesn't include meat or fish and hasn't done so for years - what's abnormal about my diet? Again, those 'pushing' a vegan or vegetarian diet are simply making an argument and raising issues for debate - what is wrong with that?

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so thank you and as for 'reactionary', I'd suggest you consult a dictionary and don't display your idiocy by misusing words.

Parody is the most appropriate response to attack. If you can't understand context then the fault lies with you alone. And If you are simply commenting in order to offer up pathetic personal insult - you are on your own.

The point to be made is that we are averaging one of these vegenista type proselytizing posts at least once a week.

A quick check shows the OP started a post on the same rubbish the last time using the old hoary chestnut "dog thou" veganista argument. Then only a few created posts over 3 and half years and then BAM straight into spreading misinformation without any proper references or otherwise. And you demand I provide some when I point out it's baloney????

You can drop the faux outrage - few on boards swallow the anti-meat and animal products propaganda as you can clearly see. But you know that already.

Well here's some more counterpoint for you to read and digest (aka 'substantiated' references) You apparently didn't bother reading the last one i posted. Why is that?

https://www.nutritionadvance.com/vegan-propaganda-and-meat/

https://theconversation.com/ordering-the-vegetarian-meal-theres-more-animal-blood-on-your-hands-4659

Enjoy.

Btw before I forget ...

I noticed you referred to the recent EAT 'lancet report' (sic)

And you also said
    The 'propoganda'* campaign against meat based diets doesn't seek to rubbish it, it seeks to legitimately question them on environmental, health and ethical grounds.
    Really?
    Then you must have missed this ...
    What exactly is EAT? ... EAT was founded in 2013 by Gunhild Stordalen, an animal right activist for the Norwegian Animal Welfare Alliance (and the wife of hotel tycoon Petter Stordalen). This couple who are listed as being amongst Europe’s richest individuals ... display a particularly lavish lifestyle despite their image as green avengers...

The Stordalens have both the means and networks to put their ideas into action, as their contacts include CEOs, politicians, and royalties...

And where budgets allow it, influence can be purchased: 3.5 million Norwegian Kronar was paid to Bill Clinton - who went vegan (briefly) in 2010 - for a one-hour speech at an EAT conference in 2014.

'Legitimate' my rear end.

See:
    https://www.efanews.eu/item/6053

*Btw it is spelled p-r-o-p-a-g-a-n-d-a. I can lend you a dictionary if you like ...

• Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭Robert Wolfe

I eat meat or fish every day and have intention of cutting down.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The 'propoganda' campaign against meat based diets doesn't seek to rubbish it, it seeks to legitimately question them on environmental, health and ethical grounds.

There are constant campaigns by various interest groups in favour of meat eating and meat productuion - look at the hysterical reaction to the recent lancet report. It's absurd to dispute this.

Unlike you I didn't make any statements that necissitated any further 'contribution' - I questioned your statement.

Why is it rubbish, again you make an unsubstantiated judgemental statement but you make no effort to substantiate it.

I have a healthy diet that doesn't include meat or fish and hasn't done so for years - what's abnormal about my diet? Again, those 'pushing' a vegan or vegetarian diet are simply making an argument and raising issues for debate - what is wrong with that?

Thank you for an excellent post

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thank you for an excellent post

But grace - you are a self declared omnivore! What gives? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

But grace - you are a self declared omnivore! What gives? ;)

It is an excellent post whatever your views. Well written and well argued and to be admired and commended.. 10/10 to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Couldn't give a damn what people eat.
    Lots of meat dishes look delicious.
    I don't think one's diet has much of an effect on the planet - like someone once said washing out our jam jars while Big Oil keeps raping the planet makes little sense.
    I'm not sure vegetarianism has much effect on one's health either. If people eat too many white carbs and sugar and junk, it doesn't matter that they don't eat meat. Moderation is the key.
    I haven't eaten meat for 35 years though because I don't like the idea of slaughtering animals so that I eat, or the cruelty they inevitably endure in factory farming. That's about it. There are other ways to get enough food.
    If the apocalypse comes though I will be the first one out on the hills with my spear stalking sheep. Hundred percent. Stay back or I might even eat you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Zorya wrote: »
    Couldn't give a damn what people eat.
    Lots of meat dishes look delicious.
    I don't think one's diet has much of an effect on the planet - like someone once said washing out our jam jars while Big Oil keeps raping the planet makes little sense.
    I'm not sure vegetarianism has much effect on one's health either. If people eat too many white carbs and sugar and junk, it doesn't matter that they don't eat meat. Moderation is the key.
    I haven't eaten meat for 35 years though because I don't like the idea of slaughtering animals so that I eat, or the cruelty they inevitably endure in factory farming. That's about it. There are other ways to get enough food.
    If the apocalypse comes though I will be the first one out on the hills with my spear stalking sheep. Hundred percent. Stay back or I might even eat you!
    Good luck with that!:pac:

Without human intervention like shearing and dipping to prevent fly strike, the sum total of sheep in the country will be close to zero.

Goats, on the other hand..

Without human intervention like shearing and dipping to prevent fly strike, the sum total of sheep in the country will be close to zero.

Roh kay then, I'll make do with deer and wild goats. We have gazillions of them out here.

(But I will cry if I ever have to kill a deer. I love them so much.)

Plus, Jesus Christ, I'm not going to eat all the farmers, there will be plenty of them left here to shear the sheep after apocalypse! :eek:

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    It is an excellent post whatever your views. Well written and well argued and to be admired and commended.. 10/10 to it!

Nope I have to disagree with you there. There is a huge difference to playing the ball and not the man. And sadly not even a single reference or backup to anything said in that first post whilst demanding same from another poster???. Still don't understand a declared omnivorous diet whilst disclaiming same. A bit hypocritical no? Could you explain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I haven't eaten meat in about twelve years. I got sick of worrying about food too much though. Years ago I wouldn't eat anything from a chip shop but now I'll eat chips and onion rings even though I know they've been fried in the same oil as sausages, chicken and fish.

I tend to tell people that I don't eat meat rather than saying I'm a vegetarian. As far as I can see it's people that eat meat that tend to be waiting to pounce on you for your food choices and that tell you you're 'cheating' if you eat Quorn or something. Why they give a shite what other people eat is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

The reasons I suppose were I was working briefly in an abottoir ( outside contractor) and saw what goes on.
    The cattles last moments ( after being transported in the back of a trailer) are in a cold, wet, **** covered environment, and they do know what's coming next. I know this from experience because I've worked in the same abottoir ( again with outside contractor for renovation) and saw one escape.
    It fell out of the killing chamber, ran up the line ( past the dismembered carcasses) and out the loading bay door and down into the forest, quickly being chased by 4 or 5 guys in white trying to catch it. You can guess who I was shouting for.

The effects of this diet change are as follows. Firstly I work in an extremely manual environment, various types of roofing.

In the beginning ( I'm mid 40s now), I thought my penis stopped working. My mind was writing cheques that my body couldn't cash, if you know what I mean.
    But after some time, I 'm not bloated from food stuck inside my system, have lost a healthy bit of weight, feel healthier and more confident, just better about myself.

And finally my cock is back to normal, even better I suppose due to my stomach losing a nice few pound.

Long term I don't know, I'll see how it all pans out.

Thanks for leaving us know, I love meals without meat, and find it easier to digest meat free meals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

A couple of years ago I had Christmas dinner in a friends house. She was worrying about what to cook me. She seemed to think she had to stress about buying some special kind of food for me. I told her just to give me what what she was having herself without the turkey. She said I was really easy to cook for.

I did get a dog hair in my mashed potato though. I noticed it my mouth before swallowing my food. Luckily I'm not a strict vegetarian. The dog is now dead but I played no part in his demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,291 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've no real intention of cutting back to be honest.
    I've no issue with people being a vegan/vegetarian once they are consistent if they go on about it. I'm also not into fads. I've relatives who are it was all Almond milk a while ago and now that's terrible it's back to full fat organic milk now. I'd say they'll be onto oat milk soon.

I did get a dog hair in my mashed potato though. I noticed it my mouth before swallowing my food. Luckily I'm not a strict vegetarian. The dog is now dead but I played no part in his demise.

:D:D

I read that in a deadpan voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

God no, hand me out a bacon double cheeseburger please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Only vegetarian? Disgusting murderer. I'm a level 5 Vegan, I never eat anything that casts a shadow.

Lay off the Simpsons mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

I don’t know if I’ve made any improvement to the environment or my health in the four years since I quit meat. I do know that less animals are being bred for slaughter due to the change in my eating habits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,291 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    I don’t know if I’ve made any improvement to the environment or my health in the four years since I quit meat. I do know that less animals are being bred for slaughter due to the change in my eating habits.

Don't worry I'll est your share!

Advertisement