Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian

Options
  • 03-02-2019 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Right. let's not beat around the bush anymore.. it looks like the consumption of meat is terrible both for the environment and for our physical health.

I know we get nowhere preaching or criticising, but I'm interested to know if boardsies have cut back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Sorry brb my bacon is ready.....

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

If it’s just an office job you are doing it’s fine to be a vegetarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Have a fry up on right now that would kill a lesser man. Does that answer your question op?

SeaFields wrote: »
    Have a fry up on right now that would kill a lesser man. Does that answer your question op?

Yes it kind of does. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yes it kind of does. Thanks.

Ah don't be discouraged. Here have a sausage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Have some bacon in the slow cooker, I'll let you know how it goes at around 4

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Only vegetarian? Disgusting murderer. I'm a level 5 Vegan, I never eat anything that casts a shadow.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Not even a link OP?

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Not even a link OP?

No links, sorry. Just interested in the general consensus. Not a militant vegetarian/vegan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,672 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

No links, sorry. Just interested in the general consensus. Not a militant vegetarian/vegan.

The general consensus at languageandgrammar.com is that the expression general consensus is redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Cut out meat in June of this year. I was in Thailand and found I was ordering chicken pad Thai, but leaving the chicken as it was rubbery. The food in Thailand is amazing, you’d not miss the meat one but. When I came home, I just never went back to it.

Still eat fish.

Love making cauliflower wings!

Am phasing out dairy and use oat milk.

Eat eggs from my friends hens but not outside of this.

Went for Sunday lunch last week to be told the veggie option was meat n two veg without the meat. I’m still laughing.

I thunk there’s a certain fad for replacing junk food with junk vegetarian and vegan stuff, proceeded meat substitutes. I dont eat them at all,

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yeah I've cut back. Haven't touched the stuff since 1967

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I decided to go vegetarian last October. It's been a great and interesting experience for me in so many ways. I'm looking at reducing dairy consumption next (almond/soy milk versus dairy milk) and meat's a rare treat. It's going great and I'm happy with where I'm at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

These mininal meat diets are based on a big fallacy, the people studied don,t eat much meat. But i suspect they are not even considering non official sources of protein such as insect based food and bush meat. If one looked at a Sierra Leone work gang making a road in the jungle and just considered their rations one would see a low meat diet. However when not workinf the guys spend a lot of time trapping and eating(almost any animal caught)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I ain't changing my diet because us humies can't curb their overbreeding!!

That being said, there's plenty of delicious vegetarian options. Love my Indian foods, and Spicy bean burgers, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Right. let's not beat around the bush anymore.. it looks like the consumption of meat is terrible both for the environment and for our physical health.

I know we get nowhere preaching or criticising, but I'm interested to know if boardsies have cut back?
    That's the narrative alright but there's plenty of criticism and some formidable debunking of that narrative around.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/02/01/whats-really-behind-the-plant-based-diet-agenda/

And no, I'm still consuming the same amount of meat and veg as I was before.

Giveaway wrote: »
    These mininal meat diets are based on a big fallacy, the people studied don,t eat much meat. But i suspect they are not even considering non official sources of protein such as insect based food and bush meat. If one looked at a Sierra Leone work gang making a road in the jungle and just considered their rations one would see a low meat diet. However when not workinf the guys spend a lot of time trapping and eating(almost any animal caught)

Nope, we're not. Lots of protein available in meatless diets. Look better now than I ever did :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I'm not a vegetarian by any means but I have a job where I'm active all day , plus do cycling and running and I have to say theres definitely alternatives to meat .

I have tried to cut down on red meat for the last few years and have felt healthier for it.

For first 6 years after leaving school I was a butcher , it really is gross some of the things I did.

1. People roasting pigs heads so you have to take eyes out.

2. Skinning and gutting rabbits .

3. Making sausages out of all the crap you cant use for anything else.

4. When you kill your own beef you get livers/ kidneys tongue separate from carcus and we used to boil tongues, then peel the hard skin off them , put in a press and leave for few days . Then you slice like ham .

For sausages you would use a lot of the meat from head of pig , tongue, cheeks, and some of the meat left after you severed the head from body.

My brother in law worked in abattoir. I'll leave this for another day .

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

I wonder what vegetarians & vegans will think of cultured meat (lab-grown meat that is made without harming / killing the animal) which a few companies are planning to start mass-producing this year. Will they all eat it because the slaughtering animals aspect is gone? Or stay veggy/vegan for health reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I'm not a vegetarian by any means but I have a job where I'm active all day , plus do cycling and running and I have to say theres definitely alternatives to meat .

I have tried to cut down on red meat for the last few years and have felt healthier for it.

For first 6 years after leaving school I was a butcher , it really is gross some of the things I did.

1. People roasting pigs heads so you have to take eyes out.

2. Skinning and gutting rabbits .

3. Making sausages out of all the crap you cant use for anything else.

4. When you kill your own beef you get livers/ kidneys tongue separate from carcus and we used to boil tongues, then peel the hard skin off them , put in a press and leave for few days . Then you slice like ham .

For sausages you would use a lot of the meat from head of pig , tongue, cheeks, and some of the meat left after you severed the head from body.

My brother in law worked in abattoir. I'll leave this for another day .

Kill all our own animals here aswell for the freezer. Cut back a bit on meat consumption but I won’t ever give it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

it looks like the consumption of meat is terrible both for the environment and for our physical health.
    It doesn't look like that at all, quite the opposite.

Are you a vegetarian because you like animals, or because you hate plants?

ShaneC93 wrote: »
    I wonder what vegetarians & vegans will think of cultured meat (lab-grown meat that is made without harming / killing the animal) which a few companies are planning to start mass-producing this year. Will they all eat it because the slaughtering animals aspect is gone? Or stay veggy/vegan for health reasons.

I will eat it.

biko wrote: »
    It doesn't look like that at all, quite the opposite.

Sorry, I don't understand. Can you explain?

All the evidence points to the opposite direction.

Since you didn't bother backing up your statement I won't bother either.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

I have cut down a lot mainly for those two reasons. Still have a steak maybe every second week or some salami / ham on a sandwich once a week. But apart from that there is no meat on my table any more and I feel fine.

I want to do a vegetarian cooking course as I know there are a lot of nice meals you can do, without the meat my meals have become a bit repetitive. If anyone knows where such a course is on (in Dublin), let me know.

It's sometimes tricky when abroad, w went to the Caribbean last year and there was not much of vegetarian choice in the restaurants.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Soon....there'll be no bush to beat around. It'll be ate!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think being vegetarian is a good thing to do for the environment. Eating meat is certainly not terrible for your health though so long as you dont deep fry it or use highly processed meat, some beef or chicken from the butcher is perfectly healthy, many studies have shown no appreciable difference in life span between vegetarians and non vegetarians

biko wrote: »
    Since you didn't bother backing up your statement I won't bother either.

OK, we will continue in this ignorant bliss. If you can show me that the consumption of meat is actually good for the environment, I will be all ears

• Advertisement

You started the thread, where is your evidence?

Advertisement