Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

if you were building a commuter bike...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Lumen wrote: »
    €1823, 9.5kg, BB7s. Does not compute.

Value for money is a very subjective thing, and bear in mind that I'm comparing it to a (admittedly overpriced) bike with a similar retail value but with some components that appear to be made of cheese.

But even taken in isolation, €1823 for a bike with a titanium frame isn't a bad price. Assuming that the frame proves to be any good, of course, and that its components are at least middle of the road in terms of quality. Possibly some big assumptions in there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

I bought a £400 2012 cannondale caadx tiagra (that covered 20 miles and was retired to the shed, it still had the protective plastic bits on the groupset!) for commuting/training/racing on when I moved to london and I adore it!

It has clearance for fat tyres, bosses for mudguards that only a trained eye would spot, bosses for 2 bottle cages and takes any abuse that is thrown at it! I have 28mm armadillos on the factory wheels for commuting, which are heavy, slow and dead. Swap out the sh1te factory wheelset for something lighter with gp4000s and it's as light, stiff and snappy as any road bike I've ever ridden. I notice little difference between it and the scott cr1sl I had in the summer! Swap on a set of aksiums with schwalbe cx pro's and it can handle the mud and slop around Richmond park. It's sufficiently comfortable for 5 hours in the saddle.

I intend on riding a few road races on it in the summer, once I get some avid shorty ultimates!

I still don't see the compromises of using a cx bike as a winter/commuter bike!

IMG_20140202_115721.jpg

It now has a 3t seatpost and handlebars, kcnc stem, fizik antares saddle, and most importantly pink bartape!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

edit: the Stork Aernario Disc would be perfect if it had clearances for mudguards and wasn't €6k. I'd even live with Di2. It has through-axles at both ends.

On the topic of through-axles, the new Focus Mares CX has an interesting approach:
    The disc version of the Mares CX will feature a clever re-think of the traditional thru-axle, dubbed RAT or Rapid Axle Technology.

The new design replaces the threads normally found on the driveside dropout with a simple slotted insert. The axle itself has a T-shaped pin that fits into this slot and is then turned, locking in place.

The result is a thru-axle that is quicker to engage and disengage than the usual threaded versions, bringing wheel swap times closer to a traditional quick release — removing one of the barriers to a disc brake takeover of cyclocross and road bikes.

It's not exactly a bike that's aimed at the commuter market mind you, but if we're talking Storcks I reckon the thread boundaries have already been widened by quite a bit :) ...I like Storcks, I hope a Stork will deliver me a Storck some day, as nature intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Some really nice design from Focus there.

They recently switched to a crown-mounted housing stop for their canti bikes.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/gallery-start-line-tech-from-scheldeprijs/259917 (pic below)

I've owned two CX bikes (a PX and a Focus) which both suffered brake judder, and crown mounting ought to eliminate this by vastly reducing the amount of bike between the hanger and the brake bosses.

ag2r_05_670.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭montac

I'm wondering if I can piggyback off this thread for some advice?
    I have been contemplating getting a CX-type bike to use as a commuter bike. I am looking for something sturdy (I am not light), but not sluggish.

I've looked at the Canyon Inflite AL 8.0 S (http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3201)

and at a Rose Pro DX with Shimano 105 http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pro-dx-cross-randonneur-2000-2014/aid:721780

I am hoping to occasionally carry my toddler son (2 yrs) in a Hamax seat on the back. Would this be out of the question with either of these two bikes?

Separately, I contacted Canyon about fitting a rear rack - they were quite emphatic that firstly it would not be possible to fit a rear rack, and when I suggested a particular model of rear rack, they told me that I would be voiding all warranty. So, I'm not too hopeful about asking their opinion about a child seat!

I know it is quite a bit more expensive, but I reckon the Rose might meet my needs better - (wheels look stronger, dynamo light...) however, if fitting a child seat is not an option, I think I may mothball this plan for the moment!

A seatpost-mount child seat will work fine with either, but you may need to consider possible interference between the child seat and the rack. There are racks which allow direct mounting of seats, but these are less comfortable as they don't have the same leaf-spring effect of the Hamax mounting.

Both those bikes have Shimano mechanical disc brake calipers which have the advantage (over BB5/7) of independent inboard and outboard pad adjustment.

Don't much like the look of the mudguards on the Rose.

Dynamo lights are awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

montac wrote: »
    I'm wondering if I can piggyback off this thread for some advice?
    I have been contemplating getting a CX-type bike to use as a commuter bike. I am looking for something sturdy (I am not light), but not sluggish.

I've looked at the Canyon Inflite AL 8.0 S (http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3201)

and at a Rose Pro DX with Shimano 105 http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pro-dx-cross-randonneur-2000-2014/aid:721780

I am hoping to occasionally carry my toddler son (2 yrs) in a Hamax seat on the back. Would this be out of the question with either of these two bikes?

Separately, I contacted Canyon about fitting a rear rack - they were quite emphatic that firstly it would not be possible to fit a rear rack, and when I suggested a particular model of rear rack, they told me that I would be voiding all warranty. So, I'm not too hopeful about asking their opinion about a child seat!

I know it is quite a bit more expensive, but I reckon the Rose might meet my needs better - (wheels look stronger, dynamo light...) however, if fitting a child seat is not an option, I think I may mothball this plan for the moment!

Having worked in a bike shop, I'm pretty confident that there are no manufacturers of traditional bikes that would offer a warranty on their bikes if a child seat was fitted. That's not to say that child seats would damage the bike, it's just unlikely they have tested the frame with an additional cantilevered load attached to it from a range of unspecified locations.

I wouldn't worry about it. Nor would I tell them in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭montac

A seatpost-mount child seat will work fine with either, but you may need to consider possible interference between the child seat and the rack. There are racks which allow direct mounting of seats, but these are less comfortable as they don't have the same leaf-spring effect of the Hamax mounting.

Both those bikes have Shimano mechanical disc brake calipers which have the advantage (over BB5/7) of independent inboard and outboard pad adjustment.

Don't much like the look of the mudguards on the Rose.

Dynamo lights are awesome.
    Thanks
    Having worked in a bike shop, I'm pretty confident that there are no manufacturers of traditional bikes that would offer a warranty on their bikes if a child seat was fitted. That's not to say that child seats would damage the bike, it's just unlikely they have tested the frame with an additional cantilevered load attached to it from a range of unspecified locations.

I wouldn't worry about it. Nor would I tell them in advance!

Yeah, I just thought it was a very defensive line from them - kinda took the sheen off their cool brand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

montac wrote: »
    Thanks

Yeah, I just thought it was a very defensive line from them - kinda took the sheen off their cool brand!

I have an inflite, the one with the ultegra group set, red and black-top of the range one basically. There are eyelets on the frame for mudguards, but I reckon you could probably also use these to fit carriers. I mainly bought it as a winter bike, but one that I could potentially use for commuting and some trail riding. It's a great bike and very versatile, so from a riding perspective, no problem. However, it may be overkill for the purposes you mentioned.

the Stork Aernario Disc would be perfect if it had clearances for mudguards and wasn't €6k. I'd even live with Di2. It has through-axles at both ends.

The ROSE XEON DX-3100 Di2 2014 seems to offer a similar spec to the Storck except it's €2600 rather than €6500, and almost 2kg heavier though still light for a commuter at a claimed 8.25kg.

http://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-xeon-dx-3100-di2-2014/aid:671260

Vlad recently pointed out that Di2 on a commuter means less maintenance, and combined with hydro discs would mean the end to all cable maintenance and rim cleaning, with the only routine maintenance being plugging it in and changing brake pads every now and again.

1952506_1_s4upllhekc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

in my never ending quest to acquire more bikes, and seeing as how the surly ended up as a single speed cx race bike, I'm going to hijack my own thread and look at building a commuter. No, really.

Steel is lovely and comfy, so I think I want a steel f&f. Must take 10 spd, downtube shifters are fine and dandy (I'm on a retro buzz), and caliper brakes. Proper mudguards and rack are a must have. I'm really looking for advice on the f&f to see what is out there. I have most of the other parts to build something up.

I was looking at the ribble steel frame, but Im not sure if that takes proper mudguards or a rack. The kaffenback seems to be steel only now. Anything else out there? Dunno what the budget is yet, but nothing crazy. Dynamo hubs and that can wait.

Ending up with something like the bobbin scout would be nice

2014Scout1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭D!armu!d

Have you looked at the Soma Smoothie? Built one up over the winter and it has eyelets for mudguards & rack. Can throw a few pics up if you want

yes please. is it available as a frameset?

lennymc wrote: »
    I want a steel f&f. Must take 10 spd, downtube shifters are fine and dandy (I'm on a retro buzz), and caliper brakes. Proper mudguards and rack are a must have
    Bianchi Campione and Tipo Corsa have DT bosses. Not sure about eyelets.

Not a great pic but you get the idea - if you're around Dublin you can take it for a spin. Got frameset through Andy in Staggs

D!armu!d wrote: »
    Not a great pic but you get the idea - if you're around Dublin you can take it for a spin. Got frameset through Andy in Staggs

thanks D!armu!d. I might take you up on that.

Bianchi Campione and Tipo Corsa have DT bosses. Not sure about eyelets.

they don't seem to have eyelets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

I always liked the Soma range, what weight is the Smoothie coming in at with guards etc?

I'm riding a Genesis Equilibrium myself and can't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Have you seen oldbean's velo orange?

Pretty sure it has cantis, but it is lovely.

I was close to getting a soma a couple of years ago, very nice in the flesh

• Advertisement

cantis would be fine. I think :) I haven't seen oldbean's velo orange.

Ah. I also found a <$1000 Titanium frame with DT bosses. I'm just putting it here for posterity.

http://www.habcycles.com/teamissue.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

cantis would be fine. I think :) I haven't seen oldbean's velo orange.

It's In the images of beauty thread, looks well but probably not aggressive enough for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

This is her..

13219929904_8d4a3d2664_b.jpg

It does have canti's, but it can take callipers too - The redundant rear socket might look a little odd, but hey. There's eyelets for everything, Velo Orange make their frames to be custom built to suit whatever the rider might need, from lightweight single speeds, 8 speed alfines and 27 gear tourers, based over 3 (Soon to be 4) frames.

Canti's themselves need a bit more setting up, but work well when they are (And maintained!).

The Pass Hunter frames are really nicely built, responsive, feels nice and fast but probably not that aggressive. But then, I don't have it set up to be very aggressive. Geometry isn't a million miles from the Bobbin Scout, but you'd be looking at spending twice the amount as the Scout.

If you're based in Dublin during the week and fancy a look, let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

My "other" race bike is the soma smoothie. Takes shallow drop callipers and full mudguards if you run 25mm or less.
    Also has second eyelets for a pannier rack if your coach wants you to suffer more !-)

• Advertisement

AmberGold wrote: »
    I always liked the Soma range, what weight is the Smoothie coming in at with guards etc?

Weighs in at 12kg with veloce, khamsins & marathon plus on it
    thanks D!armu!d. I might take you up on that.

Yeah, sure send on a pm if you want to take it out for a spin

Weighs in at 12kg with veloce, khamsins & marathon plus on it

Really? IIRC mine is 11 with the Rival, powertap g3 wheel set and mudguards!

anyone know anything about the ribble 525?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It clocks in at about 11kg with kishma's, veloce and sks mudguards and apparently rides like a dream, haven't say on one myself though.

how about the dolan preffisio?

• Advertisement

how about the dolan preffisio?

The Prefissio is the same frame as the Ribble 7005/Winter Trainer (Terry Dolan used to design some of Ribble's frames), plenty of reviews for the Ribble online.

Idleater wrote: »
    Really? IIRC mine is 11 with the Rival, powertap g3 wheel set and mudguards!

You're right - weighed mine properly - 11kg with full length mudguards

You're right - weighed mine properly - 11kg with full length mudguards

I got it about 9kg in race trim. In fact I'd love to race it, but it's too much effort to take off the mudguards when I have a dedicated race bike.

For the record my Genesis Equilibrium built with Rival, carbon seatpost and 36 spoke wheels (DA and Ambrosio) with SKS chromos, pedals and cages comes in at 10kg.

Idleater wrote: »
    I got it about 9kg in race trim. In fact I'd love to race it, but it's too much effort to take off the mudguards when I have a dedicated race bike I've retired.

Fixed your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭longford76

I bought a frame and fork recently but haven't used it too much yet as have another bike for commuting.

It's nice to ride, a bit heavier than I thought it would be, but comfortable.

I fitted it with 23c gatorskins and sks 35 mudguards and there isn't much clearance for larger tyres. I don't think it would take larger. I fitted a rack too but had to bodge a bit around the brake caliper.

I'll try get a photo up to give you an idea.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22906732@N05/13965106950/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

This looks like a good thread to illicit elicit some advice from.
    I've accumulated the components necessary for a fast commuter /light touring bike build. (groupset, handbuilt 36H 135 OLN wheels, finishing kit, B17).

I'ld like a bike that I can commute with a rack and pannier(s) and do the odd sportive/ ROK on.
    Currently I've a trek 7.5FX hybrid that I changed to dirt drops and bar ends that does the job reasonably well, or should I say I've managed to get by with for the last two years or so. I want to stick with large volume tyres, 28 s or 32s. In terms of fitness ,commute is 30K round trip but I stretch that out to 70 fairly regularly (round blessington lakes).

In the past I had a reynolds 500 Dawes Horizon, maybe its rose tinted glasses but I'ld get a new bike together with the same 'feel' the dawes had (I still have it btw but its far too big for me). I'm 95KG, so bike weight is not a huge factor.

Anyway, I've looked at all the many options within my frame budget of 600 euro which would include,
    Surly , Velo Orange Pass Hunter/Campeur, Ribble 525, Genesis Equilibrium, Bob Jackson, hewitt chiltern .
    at the moment I'm leaning towards the thorn Audax MK111 or Spa Audax.
    I have bar end shifters and long pull brake levers as well as a pair of STIs, so cantis or deep drop road brakes are an option.
    bit of an agony of choice I'm afraid.
    Any advice would be appreciated, as once I choose I'm married to it for the next few years at least.

Niall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

njburke wrote: »
    This looks like a good thread to illicit some advice from.
    I've accumulated the components necessary for a fast commuter /light touring bike build. (groupset, handbuilt 36H 135 OLN wheels, finishing kit, B17).

I'ld like a bike that I can commute with a rack and pannier(s) and do the odd sportive/ ROK on.
    Currently I've a trek 7.5FX hybrid that I changed to dirt drops and bar ends that does the job reasonably well, or should I say I've managed to get by with for the last two years or so. I want to stick with large volume tyres, 28 s or 32s. In terms of fitness ,commute is 30K round trip but I stretch that out to 70 fairly regularly (round blessington lakes).

In the past I had a reynolds 500 Dawes Horizon, maybe its rose tinted glasses but I'ld get a new bike together with the same 'feel' the dawes had (I still have it btw but its far too big for me). I'm 95KG, so bike weight is not a huge factor.

Anyway, I've looked at all the many options within my frame budget of 600 euro which would include,
    Surly , Velo Orange Pass Hunter/Campeur, Ribble 525, Genesis Equilibrium, Bob Jackson, hewitt chiltern .
    at the moment I'm leaning towards the thorn Audax MK111 or Spa Audax.
    I have bar end shifters and long pull brake levers as well as a pair of STIs, so cantis or deep drop road brakes are an option.
    bit of an agony of choice I'm afraid.
    Any advice would be appreciated, as once I choose I'm married to it for the next few years at least.

Niall

There's a Passhunter owner on here somewhere. AFAIR he was very pleased.

Yep, I saw Oldbeans passhunter in the thread.

I called Tramore cycle services to ask for a price on the frame kits for the pass hunter and campeur, lovely looking bikes by the way.
    I think a full tourer would be overkill for the load I usually carry (lunch,shower kit and work clothes) plus from what I've read the handling and ride is better on them under load, had a landrover that was just like that, ride was like a big american car when loaded.

Are you based in Tramore, Waterford?

I'll be in Waterford with the bike soon enough if you wanted a look.

• Advertisement

@ njburke - i have a surly cross check, its a great bike. very versatile, will take big or small tyres, single speed, gears, 132.5 spacing so will take road or mtb wheels, lots of mounting points for racks, mudguards, and everything else. I built it up as a single speed cx bike and it really is lovely to ride. I am yet to try it as a commuter, i have put gears on it with bar end shifters, and it rides nice, but, it does seem heavy. I am comparing it to a full carbon race bike tho :)

I also saw on tritoncycles that they had the cross check frame from 280 sterling.

Im yet to try commuting on it but may just do so tomorrow.

@Oldbean .
    Splendid looking bike you have there.
    I'm in Naas, but Tramore cycles is the only velo orange dealer listed for Ireland.
    I've a decent LBS nearby and they'll build up the bike for me when I get a frame sorted.

Thank you, I'm very happy with it.

Ah ok - I didn't know there was any dealers here at all!

Freshtripe in the UK have a good stock of VO frames and parts, and I think ParcelMotel still do a month free, could be the best way of doing it. I'm based in Dublin most of the time if you wanted to have a look before deciding either ways. The guys that work for VO are incredibly friendly & knowledgable too, so if you had any queries, shoot them a mail and they get back pretty fast.

@lennymc
    I had the surly crosscheck on the list too, and Triton do seem to have the best pricing on Surly frames at least.
    I also have a CB Cape Wrath MTB, which I use down the canal towpath, mind you the trek manages that too, so its not really a one bike solution I need.
    I'll put the trek hybrid up for sale, to leave me with an MTB and whatever steel audaxy type commuter I end up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

OldBean wrote: »
    Freshtripe in the UK have a good stock of VO frames and parts, and I think ParcelMotel still do a month free, could be the best way of doing it.

Beware. Parcel Motel are now charging extra for oversize parcels. They're using volumetric weight (dimensions of the parcel determine price) which will make a bike/frame quite pricey...

That's a balls. Thanks for the heads up though!

so, is there any reason I should not buy a preffisio/ribble winter frameset.
    race(ish) geometry - check
    10 spd compatible - check
    full mudguards - check
    pannier - check
    199 pounds - bargain

Ok, its not steel, and it wont take 32mm tyres, but apart from that it seems to do everything on the list.

Get the Ribble reynolds? same frame but in steel? Only €200 for the frame aswell...

so, is there any reason I should not buy a preffisio/ribble winter frameset.
    race(ish) geometry - check
    10 spd compatible - check
    full mudguards - check
    pannier - check
    199 pounds - bargain

Ok, its not steel, and it wont take 32mm tyres, but apart from that it seems to do everything on the list.

My 2c:
    for a winter/commuter I'd be looking for something that'd last a fair few years - a steel frame would be worth paying a bit extra for.

• Advertisement

If you are a race orientated rider buy the Dolan. If you are into longer spins / Audax etc. buy the Ribble.

Fickle as I am the paint job on the Dolan would swing it for me.

Advertisement