Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

if you were building a commuter bike...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭billyhead

Would anyone know if you could purchase the Rose Pro DX Cross 2000 on the BTW scheme. Looks like a quality commuting/training bike at an affordable price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

How about the Ribble steel frame/bike?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I honestly think that Kaffenback is hard to beat value for money wise.

Diarmuid wrote: »

To answer my own question, there;s no way you are getting 35mm tires on the Ribble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

mp31 wrote: »
    Two (potentially silly so please excuse my ignorance) questions:
    1. Why do you want a power tap hub for commuting?
    2. Are you doing this distance every day?

I use a pm for training, and can incorporate the guts of 4 hrs training into a commute. I have the pm already. In racing season I commute about once or twice a week depending on what's on, and in winter about 2-3 times a week depending on the weather and other commitments.

@doozerie - I ended up getting a surly cross check frame and fork so will use the tcx for commuting for now and race the surly in cx. Alternatively I can race the tcx and commute on the surly. I went with the surly because it seemed like the most versatile option out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

doozerie wrote: »
    * The Rose Pro DX Cross 2000 - aluminium frame and carbon fork, eyelets for mudguards and rack, Shimano 105 groupset (mostly), Avid BB7 disc brakes, 160mm rotors, €1295 plus delivery, 9.2kg. Decent spec, reasonable price, lighter weight for those looking for that, and as my wife's Rose road bike has worked out well I'd be optimistic about the frameset quality of this one too. I e-mailed them a query about tyre clearance very late one night, and I received a cheerful reply very early the next morning - no problem with 35mm spiked tyres and mudguards apparently, they'd even fit them for me if I wanted. I've had very good experiences shopping with Rose, such excellent customer service is no surprise.

Thought I'd provide an update here in case anyone is looking for the same functionality out of this Rose bike as I am.

This week I asked Rose directly whether their Pro DX Cross frameset can take 45mm mudguards (SKS P45 Chromoplastic, to be precise) along with 35mm studded tyres. Their answer was that it can't. I asked them to clarify whether the issue was mudguard clearance at the chainstays, thinking that I could trim the mudguards a little there if necessary, but their answer was quite vague in that they said I'd have to mount the mudguards myself and they they couldn't do so in the workshop. I'm inclined to think the mudguards could be made to fit, but that's a guess so this question remains something to bear in mind by anyone thinking of buying this bike and planning to fit it with mudguards that provide decent coverage with 35mm tyres - they do sell this bike with mudguards fitted but from the photos it looks like the mudguards they fit give little or no "side" coverage, which might be fine for some but for a commute bike I wouldn't be happy with anything less than conventional mudguards which give some coverage at the sides.

I also had a question about clearance around the rear non-drive side dropout. My child trailer hitch point is a big lump of metal that attaches at that side via the skewer, and it needs a flat surface area at the dropout with a radius of about 17mm or so (so cowled dropout won't work with it, for example). I asked whether the Pro DX Cross frameset has the necessary clearance but their answer was a very stark "you can't use this frameset with a child trailer". I asked them to clarify whether this was due to lack of clearance at the dropout or whether they explicitly advise against using the frameset with any form of trailer. It's the latter, or in their own words this frameset "is a sophisticated light weight frame and not made for using a trailer. It is a bike for sportive use".

I'm a bit surprised by that latter answer, but it is in keeping with Kona's refusal to warranty my snapped (steel) MTB frame because I towed a trailer with it. Maybe I'm simply underestimating the stresses that towing a trailer puts on a bike frame but I suspect that the issue here is really just manufacturers covering their own arses by advising that frames that are supposedly designed to take the pounding of being ridden off-load can't take the stress of towing a trailer. Makes you wonder what framesets out there are "officially" deemed suitable for towing a trailer - funnily enough though my wife's aluminium Kona hybrid shows no signs of any issues arising from towing a laden child trailer almost daily for a few years now. But it is something to bear in mind if buying a frame that you plan to use with a trailer, and of course it is something to consider too if you ever look to warranty a damaged frame that you've used to tow a trailer at any stage.

Oh, and that particular Rose frameset's availability seems to be dropping quite fast. They provide an "availabilities" link on the page of each model of bike built from that frameset - the details refer to the availability of the frameset itself rather than the completed bike so if the page for any of their models shows that the frameset is unavailable in your size then it's not available in that size as any of the other builds either. They've already sold out of my size and at least one other size, so if you are thinking about one of these bikes be sure to keep an eye on its availability while you make your decision.

And on that note, the Planet-X Kaffenback that I linked to above is no longer available either, presumably that's sold out too. So I'm now looking further afield for a disc-equipped bike with drop bars, and the most interesting ones so far, all of them steel framesets, are: Kona Rove - fits the bill but is overpriced as far as I am concerned and also I'm still in a huff with Kona, but I've not ruled it out; Cotic Roadrat - very versatile frameset, comes with (removable) v-brake *and* disc mounts which would make migrating to this frameset easier for me over the longer term, reasonable price for the frameset (I don't like the components on the pre-built models so I'm not convinced of the value of those), but not suitable for drop bars (but a new frameset planned by them for next Spring will take drop bars); Kinesis Decade Tripster - another versatile frameset, quite a bit more expensive than the Cotic though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

* The Rose Pro DX Cross Alfine Di2 Randonneur - same frameset as above, Shimano Alfine Di2 (wired electronic) 11-speed hub, Shimano dynamo front hub, Shimano CX-75 disc brakes, 160mm rotors, lights, mudguards, Tubus rear rack, €2349 plus delivery, 11.6kg. Despite the unappealing mudguards (slimline, look like they wouldn't give great protection), this bike meets many/all of my basic requirements and quite a few of my fantasy shopping list options too. Lot of money for a commute/workhorse bike though. But... we wants it!

Anyone have any experience of the Alfine geared hub, electronic or otherwise? It's very appealing from the point of view of minimal maintenance but if it's not as reliable as the marketing blurb claims then that would put me right off.

I love them. If youre looking at that kind of money, the Raleigh pictured here would probably be cheaper when it comes out:

2013-raleigh-commuter-road-bike-with-Alfine-Di2-600x399.jpg

http://www.coolhunting.com/tech/shimano-alfine-di2.php
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/03/29/2013-raleigh-commuter-road-bike-with-shimano-alfine-di2-spotted/

how about the surly disc trucker frame? Im quite impressed with the ride on the crosscheck, finish is very nice, and it feels like it will last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

And on that note, the Planet-X Kaffenback that I linked to above is no longer available either, presumably that's sold out too.

I preordered a kaffenback but haven't received it yet. I contacted them last friday via their facebook page and I got a call back a few hours later from one of the lads in the workshop who said the frames had just arrived and they were unpacking them and getting ready to build them up. I mentioned ti was gone from the website and he said he reckoned they would be back up soon. Probably worth dropping them a mail to see what the story is. Whoever runs the facebook page for them is pretty quick to respond too. You're welcome to have a look at mine when I get it, send me a pm if you like.

@droidus, Thanks for the link, I'll keep an eye out for when that is available. Re the Alfine hub, one thing that has put me off them a bit is that they seem to have a reputation for being draggy - Lumen mentioned it on another thread and I've seen other comments online saying likewise. Have you found that to be a problem?

@lennymc, That's another interesting frame. Their sizing seems weird though, the smallest frame they offer that'll take 700c wheels is a 56cm which would definitely be too big. Bummer!

@WAPAIC, Thanks for the info, and the offer. The Kaffenback was really interesting and seemed great value, my only concern about it was whether it would take 35mm studded tyres and 45mm mudguards and Planet-X couldn't make any guarantees. I'd be very interested to hear how generous, or not, you find its clearance to be when yours arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

@droidus, Thanks for the link, I'll keep an eye out for when that is available. Re the Alfine hub, one thing that has put me off them a bit is that they seem to have a reputation for being draggy - Lumen mentioned it on another thread and I've seen other comments online saying likewise. Have you found that to be a problem?

TBH, I dont have anything to compare it to as I've never had a 'proper' groupset. Though a bit clunky, they're certainly on par or better with anything I've ever cycled, but the main selling points for me are lack of maintenance and ability to change when stopped at the lights.

Alfine 11 with electronic shifting is supposed to be a completely new story compared to my Alfine 8 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Lumen wrote: »
    I would place these above all other considerations, but particularly a front dynamo light. Modern dynamo lights are the most excellent thing ever.

Do they still dim when go slowly and go out when you stop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Do they still dim when go slowly and go out when you stop?

Nope. Over a certain min speed (about 6kph I think) they're up to full brightness, and many now come with a stand light function, which provides light (more to be seen rather than to see with) for a few minutes after stopping.

They're the business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

I'm considering a Triban 5 for this role, once they come back into stock. They're cheap enough to lock up in town, take mudguards and a rear rack. What's not to love (apart from the triple)?

• Advertisement

@lennymc, That's another interesting frame. Their sizing seems weird though, the smallest frame they offer that'll take 700c wheels is a 56cm which would definitely be too big. Bummer!

that is bizarre. If you consider the crosscheck and want a closer look at one let me know and ill bring mine in and you can have a look. Doesnt take disk brakes although you could get a different fork and have disk front, caliper rear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭billyhead

I'm considering a Triban 5 for this role, once they come back into stock. They're cheap enough to lock up in town, take mudguards and a rear rack. What's not to love (apart from the triple)?

I woudn't lock a Triban 5 in town in fairness. Also does the Triban 5 have eyelets for mudguards as these will be needed for commuting

lennymc wrote: »
    that is bizarre. If you consider the crosscheck and want a closer look at one let me know and ill bring mine in and you can have a look. Doesnt take disk brakes although you could get a different fork and have disk front, caliper rear?

Thanks for the offer, but the lack of disk brakes would put me off it as an option. I've developed a bee in my bonnet about v-brakes in terms of maintenance, and cantilevers would feel like a slightly backwards step in terms of performance, so I've latched onto the idea of discs for whatever bike I end up with this time. Mind you, discs might not prove to be entirely compatible with my aims of less maintenance either but I'm determined to put them to the test.

My desire for a low maintenance commuter seems to be growing stronger by the year and the presence of brakes and gears of various forms just makes me feel tired by sight alone, I seem to be heading with horrible inevitability towards a future of commuting on a low-maintenance kick-a-long scooter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

My desire for a low maintenance commuter seems to be growing stronger by the year and the presence of brakes and gears of various forms just makes me feel tired by sight alone, I seem to be heading with horrible inevitability towards a future of commuting on a low-maintenance kick-a-long scooter.

Or a fixie....:pac:

colm_gti wrote: »
    Or a fixie....:pac:

Nah, I tried that for a few months but while it was fun and a decent workout it just didn't suit me for my commute. Not being able to dictate the position of the pedals meant that squeezing up the inside of a line of stopped cars became a real pain (and probably an entertaining spectacle with one foot clipped in and the other pushing along the kerb while trying to avoid the pedal coming around and consistently trying to wallop it), and given the fondness that far too many pedestrians, cyclists, and car doors had for appearing suddenly in my path I found that I was spending more time slowing down preparing to stop than speeding up and making time.

Giving it more time to grow used to the fixie might have helped tackle my slight apprehension over the latter, but the former was always going to be a problem on some of the narrower roads on my commute. I switched that bike to singlespeed though and haven't looked back since, singlespeed suits me well with that bike and with my commute (but it sucks when it comes to towing a trailer!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

* Full length robust mudguards.
    * Pannier rack.
    * Space on the handlebars for at least one decent light.
    * At little carbon as possible.
    * Robust wheels.
    * Clearance for wide tyres.
    * Lockable via my existing locks.
    * Dynamo hub(s).
    * No V-brakes.
    * Hub bearings that are robust but still relatively easy to service when they need replacing.
    * Bottom bracket, or bearings, that last quite a while.
    * Gearing which is as simple as possible, which means no triple chainset for me.

This comes close to most of those. Weight seems high, but perhaps not given it has alfine, dynamo and rack. Flat bars not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Nah, I tried that for a few months but while it was fun and a decent workout it just didn't suit me for my commute. Not being able to dictate the position of the pedals meant that squeezing up the inside of a line of stopped cars became a real pain (and probably an entertaining spectacle with one foot clipped in and the other pushing along the kerb while trying to avoid the pedal coming around and consistently trying to wallop it), and given the fondness that far too many pedestrians, cyclists, and car doors had for appearing suddenly in my path I found that I was spending more time slowing down preparing to stop than speeding up and making time.

Giving it more time to grow used to the fixie might have helped tackle my slight apprehension over the latter, but the former was always going to be a problem on some of the narrower roads on my commute. I switched that bike to singlespeed though and haven't looked back since, singlespeed suits me well with that bike and with my commute (but it sucks when it comes to towing a trailer!).

Did this for awhile myself. Not too bad, except for any climbing involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

Got the Kaffenback on Saturday morning, took one quick spin up to Cruagh Wood this morning and have to say I'm delighted with it. It's not super-quick but it's fast enough, it feels very stable and there's no road buzz (big tyres, steel frame). It seems quite long compared to my plastic bike. Disc brakes on a road bike are great and the Rival groupset seems nice and crisp. I'll get the mudguards and rack on tomorrow or Tuesday and take a picture. Looks like there is lots of clearance which is always the way until you start bolting things on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

What's wrong with a triple? I had the pleasure of riding a compact on the holidays this summer and found too much cross-chaining going on and too big of a jump when changing on the front ring. Much happier with my triple...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Front Shifting Considered Harmful

Just thought I'd add an update here after having spent some time looking at (mechanical) disc brake options for a commute bike. I've not used disc brakes before so while all of this stuff is new to me it might be old hat to many, but I'll put it here in case it helps anyone else starting from scratch:

* Disc rotor sizes vary, the ones I encountered on currently available road bikes were 140mm and 160mm, but 180mm (and perhaps larger?) exist too. The general advice seemed to be that 160mm rotors are preferable to 140mm for greater stopping power, but some argue that 140mm are perfectly adequate on the road. On the bike that I eventually chose, a Kona Rove, the 2012 model has 140mm while the 2013 model has 160mm - I've no idea whether that's Kona expressing their opinion on which they now believe to be "better" or whether they are simply meeting demand for bigger callipers, but I opted for the 160mm since I'll be towing a trailer with this bike.

* The mechanical disc callipers that I encountered on the bikes I looked at were mainly Hayes CX Expert (formerly known as Hayes CX-5), Avid BB7, and Shimano something-or-others. It's tricky finding decent online comparisons of these, the general gist of those reviews/discussions that I found was that the Hayes and Avid ones are similar in performance, though certainly not everyone agreed with that. I couldn't find much on the Shimano ones but I ruled them out early on as they were not on the few bikes I focused on, but the few mentions I found of them were positive. It seems they all have their pros and cons. My bike came with the Hayes CX Expert.

* Online reviews mention that the Hayes CX Expert have rubbish stopping power for the first while. Online docs from Hayes themselves support this, saying that you need several "big" stops to wear the pads in. I've used the bike only once so far and can confirm that stopping power sucked, it's less than I get with the (okay) Shimano 105 callipers on my current commute bike, and a lot less than I got with the XT v-brakes on my dead commute MTB.

* (This one is more rant than informative actually…) Adjusting the Hayes callipers is a real pain. When I got the bike both rotors were rubbing and one rotor in particular was flexing/bending a lot when you applied the brake ("quality" setup from a local bike shop there, a reminder to me of why I remain happy to do all of my own maintenance - if you find a good and conscientious bike mechanic in a local bike shop, imprison them in your shed or somewhere 'cos they are a very scarce resource!). I tried adjusting them myself last night and it was a frustrating experience - the calliper arms, and therefore the brake pads, are not parallel to the rotors, which I assume is down to poor manufacturing tolerances in the frame/mounting posts as there appears to be no means of adjusting the angle on the callipers themselves so the relatively poor positioning seems permanent. I guess the pads will wear in but that kind of thing annoys me as it shouldn't be necessary. They are now in a better state than the bike shop left them, but I'm still not entirely happy with them - but I am fussy. I imagine the same non-parallel issue would apply to other brands of calliper unless they have some built-in means of adjusting their angle to the rotor.

* The location of the mounting points on the frame/fork for the disc calliper varies. The current trend for the rear calliper seems to be to mount it between the seat and chain stays (as opposed to the more traditional location of behind the seat stay). This means that the calliper does not get in the way of the rear mudguard or pannier rack so you don't need a disc-brake specific pannier. That suits me very well! A potential downside though is that the angle of the calliper leaves the cable to the calliper more prone to water running down inside the outer housing - time will tell whether this really proves to be a problem.

* On the fork it seems like anything goes as regards location of the disc calliper. Behind the left fork blades seems the most common, but in front of either fork blade occurs too. Mine is behind the left fork blade, and it makes mounting a mudguard a real pain. It's not helped by the fact that the Hayes calipers are chunky so if I really want to use the mudguard mount at the dropout I'll need a big spacer to position the mudguard stay about 40 or 50mm out from the dropout - bleugh! I might end up using the pannier mount points half-way up the fork blades instead, which will be a horrible faff too but a little less horrible. A calliper mount in front of the forks would make my life a lot easier.

More generally I can't comment on the quality of the overall bike as I've not used it properly yet. I will say though that it is quite literally a tank, which I expected before I bought it and is arguably desirable in a commute bike. I weighed the rear wheel last night though, and with (700x35c) tyre, cassette (11-32 or something similarly ridiculous for my purposes), and skewer all attached it comes in at just under 2.4kg. I've seen people suggest online that this bike would be good for doing cyclocross races, but clearly they've never tried to lift one - this is not a bike to carry over obstacles, it's a bike for ploughing through obstacles!

Oh, and Kona sizing seems odd. I was near the boundary of two sizes but was advised to go with the bigger size of 53cm. The frame itself seems okay in that size but it comes with 420mm handlebars and I'm definitely squarely in the 400mm camp for handlebar width. The extra 2cm wouldn't be too big a deal except that these bars splay out, adding at least another 2cm width at the drops. Initial impression of riding in the drops is that it feels like I expect holding a handglider to feel, but far less graceful. I may have to change the bars at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,140 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Online reviews mention that the Hayes CX Expert have rubbish stopping power for the first while. Online docs from Hayes themselves support this, saying that you need several "big" stops to wear the pads in. I've used the bike only once so far and can confirm that stopping power sucked, it's less than I get with the (okay) Shimano 105 callipers on my current commute bike, and a lot less than I got with the XT v-brakes on my dead commute MTB.

I had this with my Avids. You really need to be brutal with them to wear them in - like cycle with the brakes on for a while. If you're not almost getting thrown over the bars they're not worn in.
    the calliper arms, and therefore the brake pads, are not parallel to the rotors

This sounds plain wrong to me. Setting up mechanical discs with drop bars is a frustrating compromise between rotor rub and lever travel, but everything should be "square".
    I really want to use the mudguard mount at the dropout I'll need a big spacer to position the mudguard stay about 40 or 50mm out from the dropout - bleugh!

Get over it, this is a utility bike. This is my setup.

Untitled.png

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

lennymc wrote: »
    I'm thinking of building a commuter that could be used year round for my commute. Commute is about 105km round trip, and sometimes I take detours, so it could be up to 120 - 130 km.

- Drop bars
    - fixed full length mudguards
    - is 10 speed shimano compatible and must take power tap hub
    - will take a pannier rack
    - some level of comfort
    - can be used for some training

what would you build and why. Im just looking for ideas at the moment, anything considered! :)

100 km commute every day??? That's insane. And you still want to go training at the weekends??

However sanity aside I think this is probably worth a look. Raleigh clubman http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/Product/Default.aspx?pc=1&pt=14&pg=8074

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Joxer_S

I'm dreaming of a Surly straggler, with an 11spd Alfine di2 hub and dynamo on the front. Brooks saddle and drop bars. Am I right in thinking that SRAM red are the only hydraulic sti shifters out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Joxer_S wrote: »
    I'm dreaming of a Surly straggler, with an 11spd Alfine di2 hub and dynamo on the front. Brooks saddle and drop bars. Am I right in thinking that SRAM red are the only hydraulic sti shifters out there?

No. You've just spent too much time in the USA.

ST-R785_B_01-661x440.jpg

• Advertisement

Joxer_S wrote: »

Shimano do them too (R785), and they're Di2-only, but I don't know whether they're compatible with Di2 Alfine yet or what availability is like.

Alfine and drop bars is awkward to set up in my experience so a Di2 version is relatively appealing (though I find the Alfine too draggy so I'm not going there).

edit: maybe this:

http://www.madison.co.uk/products/cycling/transmission-braking-components/sti-gear-brake-levers/st-r785-di2-hydraulic-sti-for-drop-bar-fully-bled-set-with-callipers-e-tube/

Untitled.png
    Jesus that's hideous. Just bend the mudguard stay, like this guy did
    1JLLMIO7-photo.jpg
    and as I did. It's easy.

On the caliper alignments, the BB7 definitely have adustable mounting position to allow you to line it up. You have to loosen off the bolts, tighen one of the pad-screws all the way, pull your brakes, lock the calipers in position then adjust the brakes. Or something like that that. Takes a little while but once done is fine, no rub and responsive braking

Untitled.png

My concern was less over aesthetics than having a sticky-out-ey bit like that on the bike. Sticky-out-ey bits tend to spend every moment trying to be snaggy-on-everything-ey bits usually. Mind you, it's that versus using the higher pannier mount and ending up with a potentially fragile mount on that side, which isn't appealing either. In terms of aesthetics, either option is ugly as sin really.

@kenmc, Bending the stay(s) is not a real option I think. I'll have to look at it again but from memory I discounted it quickly because I'm pretty sure that the plastic end (very same as on Lumen's) doesn't allow either stay to clear the caliper. I could do without the plastic end, but I like having it there to do its job of quick-release if necessary.

As regards the calipers, the chunk of metal that mounts to the frame seems to be square, and where the caliper body itself mounts to that chunk of metal seems square too. To have any adjustability of the angle to the rotor I think that one or other of those mating interfaces needs to allow the mating parts to mount non-square, if you know what I mean. I initially assumed there would be some sort of wedge-shaped washer between the mating interfaces to allow a change of angle, but there doesn't appear to be. The rotor is only a couple of mm off parallel at one "end" of the brake pads, but it's enough to mean that only one "end" of each pad makes contact (until the rotor flexes a little to push flat against the pad faces). Perhaps there is a knack to it that I didn't discover when I tinkered with it but if so it wasn't immediately obvious.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Same here, just bend it around the disc brakes. It works.

As regards the disc pad/rotor alignment, just Google "Credit Card Avid BB7 adjustment".
    Works every time, this method.

PS. On a mobile, can't provide the link.
    This method of aligning pads/hardware is faultless.

Ecovelo from memory have a good pictorial/join the dots explanation.

As regards the calipers, the chunk of metal that mounts to the frame seems to be square, and where the caliper body itself mounts to that chunk of metal seems square too. To have any adjustability of the angle to the rotor I think that one or other of those mating interfaces needs to allow the mating parts to mount non-square, if you know what I mean. I initially assumed there would be some sort of wedge-shaped washer between the mating interfaces to allow a change of angle, but there doesn't appear to be. The rotor is only a couple of mm off parallel at one "end" of the brake pads, but it's enough to mean that only one "end" of each pad makes contact (until the rotor flexes a little to push flat against the pad faces). Perhaps there is a knack to it that I didn't discover when I tinkered with it but if so it wasn't immediately obvious.

Ken is right about the BB7 procedure. You have to start with everything slack and the calipers clamped on to the rotor, and then tighten things in the right order.

Try and find some installation instructions for your calipers (online, even).

Planet X wrote: »
    As regards the disc pad/rotor alignment, just Google "Credit Card Avid BB7 adjustment".
    I take it this means you spend loads of money getting someone who knows how to do it, to do it. :)

This years CI card.

@kenmc, Bending the stay(s) is not a real option I think. I'll have to look at it again but from memory I discounted it quickly because I'm pretty sure that the plastic end (very same as on Lumen's) doesn't allow either stay to clear the caliper. I could do without the plastic end, but I like having it there to do its job of quick-release if necessary.
    Plastic end - easy peasy...

2888hnp.jpg

• Advertisement

I fail to see how a bent piece of metal is better looking than my glorious anodized chainring bolt extension system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I fail to see how a bent piece of metal is better looking than my glorious anodized chainring bolt extension system.

This explains a lot of your bike choices.

kenmc wrote: »
    Plastic end - easy peasy...

2888hnp.jpg

Sweet holy lesus! I'm in my happy place, I'm in my happy place, ... *rock* *rock*

Ken is right about the BB7 procedure. You have to start with everything slack and the calipers clamped on to the rotor, and then tighten things in the right order.

Try and find some installation instructions for your calipers (online, even).

I tried a version of that procedure at the time, and it certainly helped a bit, but the final bit of cinching the bolts always pulled the caliper off parallel again. I need to throw some more time at it in case I missed something last time but it seemed like the (slightly off) angle of the calipers was not adjustable at all.

Yeah, I must root around for online instructions alright. I did a cursory search before but didn't find anything, even on Hayes's own site, but that was between sweary bouts of wrestling with the bike so my focus was, er, lacking.

I have those same mudguards on my Ribble 525 frame with 25 tires. When it's wet, they make a bit of noise from leaves and stones getting pulled up into the mudguard and rubbing slightly. Anyone else have this? I guess the clearance is just too tight with this combo

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I have those same mudguards on my Ribble 525 frame with 25 tires. When it's wet, they make a bit of noise from leaves and stones getting pulled up into the mudguard and rubbing slightly. Anyone else have this? I guess the clearance is just too tight with this combo
    I've a 23 up front and a 28 on the back (babyseat, trying to make the ride a bit more comfy for her). Have also run 35mm winters with no change to the mudguard positioning - that's a little tight to be fair.

On "normal" tyres, no isuses on the back, up front the only issue has been if I manage to tuck the flap back up under the mudguard (e.g. wheeling bike down from a kerb). Guess my bike has a lot more clearance than yours would though.

• Advertisement

I have that issue with the Crud RoadRacers on one of my bikes, with the front wheel mostly. I expected that it would eventually eat away at the plastic and that the mudguard would basically split in two at some point, but 2 years on it hasn’t happened yet. I guess the scraping just sounds worse than it really is. At it’s worst I have to aim the bike through puddles of water to help clear out the leaves and crud that have managed to get lodged inside the mudguard.

It happens with one of my commute bikes too, which has SKS mudguards and sod all clearance despite having 23mm tyres. It worried me less with that bike as I expected those mudguards to be much more robust, but the noise is actually louder (I guess the shape of the mudguard amplifies it more) so it seems worse. I’ve had the same mudguards on that bike for years though, commuting through all kinds of weather, with no problem.

I’m going to give a brief (-ish!) review of the Kona Rove I as I’m currently in the “right” frame of mind to be very honest about it. I bought the 2013 model and I’ve been using it only for my commute for the about the last 3 months amounting to a little under 900km of riding, so basically it has been lightly used and all of that has been on smooth-ish tarmac roads so far - for a bike that is marketed as a “gravel bike”, this amounts to a very easy life to date.

I had problems with the mechanical disk brakes from the outset, I couldn’t orient the pads to be parallel to the rotors. When I bought it they were appallingly setup, but that’s another matter and really one for the thread discussing the merits of buying from an LBS (which is where I got mine) versus online - in short though, the brakes on this brand new bike as it was handed to me were in dire need of attention. It’s my first time using disc brakes so I can’t rule out the possibility that I’ve missed something obvious with their adjustment, but my belief is that either the frame bosses for the disc calipers are slightly misaligned or else the pads themselves are poorly installed or fundamentally rubbish. Either way it’s not good.

The welded bosses on the down tube which acts as guides for the gear cables are located very close to the head tube. As a result the gear cable outers are angled badly as they enter the guides. Mounting the bosses 1cm further away from the head tube would have avoided that. It’s not causing obvious problems as yet but it stresses the gear cables unnecessarily. Anyone that likes smooth lines for any cables would flinch at the sight of them, and might be tempted to relocate them with a hammer.

Kona’s approach to sizing seems to be novel to say the least, or perhaps the LBS were simply lying when they insisted that a medium was “definitely the right size for me”. I’m usually a small in everything, with the very odd exception, but I put my faith in the LBS’s experience of dealing with this brand and its sizing. I now think I just about scrape into the bottom of the size range that the medium (53cm) suits, just. So I’d get by with a medium but it comes with 42cm handlebars, something the LBS neglected to mention, or perhaps even think of. I’m suited to 40cm at most, and arguably 38cm is actually wide enough for me. 42cm bars are silly for me, the fact that these Kona bars are 47cm at the drops (in an earlier post I said they are 44cm at the drops, how wrong I was) makes for an utterly ridiculous setup. I rode the bike away from the shop, on a wave of optimism, but that was a mistake, this bike is not spec’ed for someone of my size and the LBS should have known that. Instead of taking it back to the LBS though I opted to adjust it to my size so I’ve got to live with that decision. I’ve replaced the handlebars with something sane and this has made a big difference but short of replacing the very high headset I can’t lower the bars as much as I’d really like.

I spotted yesterday that the KMC powerlink had broken, one of the plates had simply snapped in two and I’m surprised that the chain itself didn’t break before I spotted it - not sure whether the powerlink’s ability to keep the chain together with only one face plate is a glowing recommendation of its strength, or whether the fact that the other face plate was snapped by a little guy like me is a damning demonstration of its weakness. I also don’t know how long it had been like that. I’ve been planning to swap out the chain and the horrible wide ratio cassette for a better quality chain and a close ratio cassette, and because of that intention I’ve not been looking after the chain properly. I never lubed it, letting it rely on the (rubbish) “lube” that it came coated with. The weather in the last couple of weeks in particular left some surface rust on the chain, and I should have cleaned it and lubed it then but I didn’t. So I didn’t maintain the chain well, but having said that I’ve never experienced a snapped link on any chain this early on in its life so I’m not impressed.

The rear wheel developed a buckle a few weeks back, one of the spokes had come a little loose. It was a spoke to which a wheel reflector was attached - I dislike such reflectors, and it is a reflection (ha!) of the esteem in which I place this bike that I’ve left them on it this far. Taking a spoke key to it has been on my list of things to do since I spotted the buckle, but I reckoned that one loose spoke this early on might indicate that the wheel will need more attention than simply a quick adjustment of that spoke, so I’ve been postponing the job until I have some time to deal with what I expect to find are basically poorly built wheels. This morning one of the other (non-drive side) spokes snapped while on my commute, and appropriately enough it then started to rain heavily so I got soaked as I meandered into work, thinking dark thoughts about Kona - on the plus side, at last I experienced one of the true benefits of disc brakes, the ability to ride a very badly buckled wheel. The hubs are branded “A Class”, a clear example that if you feel the need to openly proclaim your class to all and sundry then you really don’t have any. These wheels appear to be muck, I foresee building my own wheels for it in the near future.

The bike is a tank, in the sense of being extremely heavy rather than any reflection of its robustness. I knew it was heavy when I chose it, its weight is listed in the spec of the bike, but as it is only for commuting I even saw this as a good thing as it should handle the inevitable knocks it’ll take in the shared bike parking where I work. But whenever I retrieve it from my shed each morning I’m slightly surprised each time at exactly how heavy it is, it outweighs my previous MTB by quite a bit. I still don’t consider this a bad thing for my purposes, just something to be aware of if you are thinking of buying one as this aspect of the bike tended to be underplayed in reviews that I read of it.

Last (so far!) but certainly not least, the retail price of this bike is €1,600. To me that is a ridiculous price based purely on its spec on paper. I got a 20% discount on that (for reasons which reflect poorly on Kona), which brought it down to nearly competitive with other brands. My main reason for choosing this bike in the end was because it has clearance for 40mm tyres so it should have no problems handling 35mm spiked tyres with mudguards (though I’ve not tested this combination yet). My experiences to date have demonstrated to me that the bike can’t justify even this reduced price, it is far too expensive given for one the apparently poor quality wheels it comes fitted with.

In short then, this bike is over-priced, weirdly-sized (those handlebars - WTF?), poorly spec’ed, and over-hyped (I’ve seen online reviews rave about it, including suggestions that you could race cyclocross on it - if you have the power to plough this tank of a bike through mud then you’ll almost certainly have exploded the rear wheel within the first 50m of the race). If I were buying again it would not be on my shortlist, I think there is far far better value to be had from other utilitarian CX bike options (e.g. Rose Bikes, Planet X, …) and if you are looking for a bike to race CX on even occasionally then the Kona Rove doesn’t come close to being a good choice. I used to like Kona as a brand but I would hope to never buy another Kona bike again.

FWIW my thoughts on disc options have expanded a little recently.

TRP do some interesting brakes.

The HY/RD is cable-actuated but hydraulic at the calipers. The main advantage is compatibility with conventional brifters and symmetric pad operation, which ought to mean much less scrapy-scrapy than conventional mechanical discs (e.g. Avid BB7). I've read a few reviews and apparently they need careful topping up to avoid excess dead travel at the lever.

The Spyre is a symmetric mechanical brake which ought to offer much the same advantages as the HY/RD without the hydro faffing. There was a recall in December but that mentions "free exchange" so maybe the latest ones are OK.

The Hylex is a full hydro drop lever with no shifters. I'm tempted to combine that with downtube shifters but finding a disc frame with DT shifter bosses is impossible, and the metal frames which might be suitable for a clamp-on bodge are often too heavy (e.g. Genesis Equilibrium Disc) or too girthful.

I'm tempted to get a custom Ti disc frame made up with DT bosses, attach 10sp DA shifters and stick Shimano road hydro levers on it (with electronics retrogrouchily ignored), as I reckon the Shimano hydro calipers and levers probably offer the best adjustability and brake feel with easiest maintenance, but that's an expensive solution and my finances haven't yet recovered from the Great Pompetamine Versa Experiment of 2012 so that mad plan will be deferred until I hopefully lose interest.

@Lumen, How about bar-end shifters as a potentially ugly compromise/stop-gap? I’ve never used them myself so I’ve never formed an opinion on them but they do seem to divide people so they are certainly not for everyone.

Your mention of ti reminds of the On-One titanium CX, which I like the look of. It might be able to take a lever band on the downtube, though their mention of a “uniquely shaped down tube” makes me wonder. Seemingly good tyre clearance, reasonable price, reasonable (road) gearing out of the box, etc. - if that bike had mudguard and rack eyes then I’d want one right now.

How about bar-end shifters as a potentially ugly compromise/stop-gap? I’ve never used them myself so I’ve never formed an opinion on them but they do seem to divide people so they are certainly not for everyone.

Downtube shifters = retro cool*.
    Bar end shifters = dorky tourer.

* Obviously disc brakes destroy all the cool, but hey.
    Your mention of ti reminds of the On-One titanium CX, which I like the look of. It might be able to take a lever band on the downtube, though their mention of a “uniquely shaped down tube” makes me wonder. Seemingly good tyre clearance, reasonable price, reasonable (road) gearing out of the box, etc. - if that bike had mudguard and rack eyes then I’d want one right now.

€1823, 9.5kg, BB7s. Does not compute.

Also, having been down the one-bike-for-everything-including-snow route, I'm really not willing to live with the compromises of CX geometry and handling for a bike that spends >99% of its time not cycling through snow. I'd rather have a fast, light road frame with minimal clearances for 23-25mm tyres and full mudguards.

edit: the Stork Aernario Disc would be perfect if it had clearances for mudguards and wasn't €6k. I'd even live with Di2. It has through-axles at both ends.

• Advertisement
Advertisement