Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

emaherx wrote: »
    You were on holidays, you can be forgiven for that ;) (in time :D)

Had venison terrine in Rosscarbery last weekend - fantastic flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭emaherx

How would anyone know ?

Hotels, restaurants, fast food joints, delis, catering companies and so on, don’t have to declare where their meat is from.

So anyone could be eating beef from Poland, Lithuania or Brazil without knowing.

There’s also a good chance that chicken breast burger, or restaurant chicken Kiev (if thats still a thing), or chicken sambo is chicken all the way from Thailand.

So Ireland exports meat to wealthier countries marked as ‘irish’ (which is marketed as better thus more expensive) and imports cheaper meat from countries such as Brazil, Lithuania and Thailand for the unwitting Irish consumers.

Don't have to, but many/most that I've been in do. And you can ask it's fairly simple.

They would also have to really go out of their way to buy non Irish beef to be fair which makes it unlikely. Even Lidl and Aldi have board bia logos all over their beef.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/where-did-irelands-beef-and-sheepmeat-imports-come-from-in-2016/

Safe to say most likely Ireland or UK for beef.

Don't have to, but many/most that I've been in do. And you can ask it's fairly simple.

They would also have to really go out of their way to buy non Irish beef to be fair which makes it unlikely. Even Lidl and Aldi have board bia logos all over their beef.

Again -

Catering companies, hotels, restaurants, delis, fast food joints and so on.

None of the above need to declare where they source their meat from.

Meat is imported in to Ireland from many countries including Brazil and Thailand.

Again -

Meat is imported in to Ireland from many countries including Brazil and Thailand.

It certainly is. And most businesses will cut corners and mislead the consumer where they can, if there's more profit in it. Which is why it behoves the educated and concerned citizenry, such as for example ourselves, to insist on being supplied with fully Irish produce, or else we remove our custom and take it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Thespoofer wrote: »
    I know this from experience because I've worked in the same abottoir ( again with outside contractor for renovation) and saw one escape.
    It fell out of the killing chamber, ran up the line ( past the dismembered carcasses) and out the loading bay door and down into the forest, quickly being chased by 4 or 5 guys in white trying to catch it. You can guess who I was shouting for.

To be completely fair here, most animals bolt once free, regardless of the environment they're in but especially in a new place. How many dogs get loose and take off? I had a horse who I tied to a post, with plenty of grass, break away and gallop off while I was searching for something. Have you ever been to an agri show and an animal gets loose? It's often all hands on deck trying to get them back again because they've took off running. I gave a miniature shetland to a few teens to walk to the beach one day because they were bored. It took 2 hours to catch him when they dropped the rope half way down the road, and he lives the life of reilly. An animal running off when it's loose doesn't mean much.

I'm not vegetarian, but I do try and ethically source my products. I only buy free range eggs/chicken, I don't really buy any pork (I'm not fond of it anyway), and I go to my local butcher as often as I can afford because I know he can drop an animal before it knows what's happening. I do also enjoy many vegetarian meals and would quite happily eat them for my dinner for a bit of variety.

Vegan I can't get on board with. I've worked in a restaurant, and some of the worst customers I've had to deal with were vegan. Completely ignoring the vegan menu, and making staff run in and out of the kitchen to confirm everything was 100% definitely for them. Talking to absolutely every member of staff (including the bar man) to let them know that they were vegan. You could have 2 members of staff for twenty tables, but many vegans want someone to pretty much become their own personal waiter. A close second are people who give themselves food intolerances, but vegans just slightly edge to the top spot.

• Advertisement

Again -

We were speaking about beef in particular and I can safely say most of our Beef is from the Island of Ireland with the UK a close second and not much else imported.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/where-did-irelands-beef-and-sheepmeat-imports-come-from-in-2016/

We were speaking about beef in particular and I can safely say most of our Beef is from the Island of Ireland with the UK a close second and not much else imported.

Who is speaking about beef in particular ? Not me anyway.

A lot of people eat chicken ‘on the go’ and that chicken is most likely not from Ireland.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/chicken-in-catering-sector-90-sourced-from-outside-ireland-208213.html

Who is speaking about beef in particular ? Not me anyway.

A lot of people eat chicken ‘on the go’ and that chicken is most likely not from Ireland.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/chicken-in-catering-sector-90-sourced-from-outside-ireland-208213.html
    How much beef is imported into Ireland ?

And do you have any idea from where ?

You asked a question and I answered it in full.

Notice you asked about beef

‘But while Ireland is one of the biggest beef and milk exporters, it doesn't stop us buying in €157m worth of beef and €478m worth of dairy products.’

Taken from an article in 2012 from the independent.

...Vegan I can't get on board with. I've worked in a restaurant, and some of the worst customers I've had to deal with were vegan. Completely ignoring the vegan menu, and making staff run in and out of the kitchen to confirm everything was 100% definitely for them. Talking to absolutely every member of staff (including the bar man) to let them know that they were vegan. You could have 2 members of staff for twenty tables, but many vegans want someone to pretty much become their own personal waiter. A close second are people who give themselves food intolerances, but vegans just slightly edge to the top spot.

Chap walks into a restaurant and meets the head chef: "I'm vegan, lactose-intolerant and coeliac! What can I get?"

"The fuck out, sir!"

:D

• Advertisement

‘But while Ireland is one of the biggest beef and milk exporters, it doesn't stop us buying in €157m worth of beef and €478m worth of dairy products.’

Taken from an article in 2012 from the independent.

Yes and I gave you the numbers for where it goes and where it comes from and how much, like you asked. Infact we quite possibly import a lot of our own meat/dairy too in a more processed form. And it's mostly between Ireland and the UK, which is nothing compared to the millage of our fruit/veg imports.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Chap walks into a restaurant and meets the head chef: "I'm vegan, lactose-intolerant and coeliac! What can I get?"

"The fuck out, sir!"

:D

And you can tell they've made up their own intolerance because you can't have lactose as a vegan anyway, and a coeliac should have a fair idea (with maybe a few questions about ingredients) of what you can and can't eat. No joke, I've had people ask if the breadcrumb scampi was gluten free, and if the goats cheese salad was suitable for vegans.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

How would anyone know ? Hotels, restaurants, fast food joints, delis, catering companies and so on, don’t have to declare where their meat is from.
    So anyone could be eating beef from Poland, Lithuania or Brazil without knowing.
    There’s also a good chance that chicken breast burger, or restaurant chicken Kiev (if thats still a thing), or chicken sambo is chicken all the way from Thailand. So Ireland exports meat to wealthier countries marked as ‘irish’ (which is marketed as better thus more expensive) and imports cheaper meat from countries such as Brazil, Lithuania and Thailand for the unwitting Irish consumers.

Jeez h bicycle - for a self declared vegan your obsessed by meat. Do you dream about it? Do you salivate when you see a nice steak? Or are you just beating a dead horse (bad pun I know!) For the sake of it?

Pay more attention what you eat and make sure you know it is wheres it from, how many food miles it's travelled, whether it's production involves indentured or slave labour and what the environmental conditions it is produced in. Then come back and let us know what you've found out, instead of attacking everyone else with such a holier than thou attitude.

I’ve a feeling the Irish farming community don’t like talking about exporting and importing the same meats for consumption.

A picture is painted that Ireland is a great wee place and farming standards are second to none. For profit maybe but not for the animals of course.

So export it to make greater profit and import even ****tier meat for the Irish consumer.

Next time you, as a consumer, are sitting in a restaurant, or a hotel, or using outside caterers, or are in a fast food joint or in a deli ask them this -

Can you tell me where this chicken is from ?

Can you give me the name and number of your supplier ?

See how you get on.

Repeat those questions for any types of meat you consume outside the home from all different types of establishments.

If you do manage to get any names and numbers of suppliers then give them a quick call and ask them what country, the specific piece of meat you ate, came from.

I wonder will your experience in doing this create any concerns.

It all seems simple doesn’t it ? You just want to know where the meat you’re being served came from.

Best of luck and feel free to report back.

If you do manage to get any names and numbers of suppliers then give them a quick call and ask them what country, the specific piece of meat you ate, came from.

If?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I’ve a feeling the Irish farming community don’t like talking about exporting and importing the same meats for consumption. ....

I've a feeling some vegans dont like talking about about the exporting and importing of produce from around the world to support a lifestyle choice. A picture is painted of vegan food as being environmentally friendly and not doing any damage. All for profit maybe but not good for the the environment, other animals and organisms or other people of course. So try not to support the importation of food to make greater profit for mega corporations

Next time you, as a consumer, are sitting in a restaurant, or a hotel, or using outside caterers, or are in a fast food joint or in a deli ask them this - Can you tell me where this food is from ? Can you give me the name and number of your supplier ? See how you get on. Repeat those questions for any types of food you consume outside the home from all different types of establishments. If you do manage to get any names and numbers of suppliers then give them a quick call and ask them what country, the specific piece of food you ate, came from. I wonder will your experience in doing this create any concerns.

Whatever you do - make sure to consider your almond milk and you quinoa and your avocados and your lentils and the 'beyond burgers' all flown in. And then ask yourself is there a better way than relying on produce flown halfway around the world and in many instances produced in places with few if any environmental or ethical standards.

It all seems simple doesn’t it ? You just want to know where the food you’re being served came from. Best of luck and feel free to report back.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Some vegetarians eat wafer thin ham.

I’ve a feeling the Irish farming community don’t like talking about exporting and importing the same meats for consumption.

You have strange feelings, you asked a load of questions about importing/exporting beef got some detailed answers but then there is your feelings.

We import and export a lot of the same fruits and vegetables too! And even other consumer goods.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

No body mention the brown envelopes from Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

That's not just a meat issue either.

That product (cooked chicken) was made in Ireland, but we don't actually make chickens. Wording is a very important issue with many consumer products from all industries not just food.

'made' means reconstituted from other meat procured from the same creature..

Denny's Ham has some very vague wording. Cooked in Co. Wicklow.. sold as, 'sliced ham', yet the packaging clearly states the following:
    Cured and cooked sliced ham reformed from cuts of pork leg meat

Contradictory or what.. :)

There's a BORD BIA logo, but that could be for the salt they use and nothing else..

Good ol' loopholes, you'd think the trade would have copped on after the horse meat scandal.

Scans of packaging attached.

• Advertisement

Amalgam wrote: »
    'made' means reconstituted from other meat procured from the same creature..

Denny's Ham has some very vague wording. Cooked in Co. Wicklow.. sold as, 'sliced ham', yet the packaging clearly states the following:

Contradictory or what.. :)

There's a BORD BIA logo, but that could be for the salt they use and nothing else..

Good ol' loopholes, you'd think the trade would have copped on after the horse meat scandal.

Scans of packaging attached.

The chicken product had no such logo.
    Let's not make it more complicated than it actually is.
    Board Bia wrote:
    The Logos have been developed to promote the QASs to the consumer. While the use of the applicable Logo(s) is not
    an obligatory part of membership, it/they can only be used on product by members of Bord Bia QASs. Where a Logo is
    to be used on product, all links in the production of the finished product must be QAS Certified members. For example,
    for meat to be eligible to carry the Logo, the farmer, the abattoir and the processing plant must all be members of the
    producer or Meat Processor Quality Assurance Schemes. For horticultural produce, the grower and packer (and
    processor for prepared fruit & vegetables) must be members of the Sustainable Horticulture Assurance Scheme (SHAS).
    Although retailers are not members of Bord Bia’s QASs they may use the Logos for promotion and marketing purposes
    in accordance with the conditions contained in this document. Where retailers are members of the Retail Butchers
    Assurance Scheme they must comply with the conditions set out in this document.
    The overriding principle, in Bord Bia allowing any Bord Bia Logo to be used, is that the Logo must be clear,
    unambiguous and must not mislead the consumer, whether on pack, or on advertising and promotional material.

Let's not make it more complicated than it actually is.

Unless you work for them, how would you know? You're giving them the benefit of the doubt, when, with the gift of hindsight.. you really should not.

EDIT: As long as you sprinkle pepper, sliced onions or any other type of 'processing', in this country, the meat does not have to have the source country listed.

Unless you work for them, how would you know? You're giving them the benefit of the doubt, when, with the gift of hindsight.. you really should not.

EDIT: As long as you sprinkle pepper, sliced onions or any other type of 'processing', in this country, the meat does not have to have the source country listed.

Don't work for Board Bia but I'm a Farmer and know enough about their quality assurance inspections at farm level.

So unless you have some evidence to back up what you are saying?

I am saying it is suspect that there is no mention of the provenance of the ham, surely, that would be mentioned anywhere on the packaging, but it is not..

It took a journalist to 'reveal' the nature of the chicken product and that's a shame really. If Denny are quite happy to avail of this food 'loophole' for one meat product, it is quite likely this arrangement exists in other products.

As it stands, that ham packaging is suspect, with or without a Bord Bia logo.

I am saying it is suspect that there is no mention of the provenance of the ham, surely, that would be mentioned anywhere on the packaging, but it is not..

It took a journalist to 'reveal' the nature of the chicken product and that's a shame really. If Denny are quite happy to avail of this food 'loophole' for one meat product, it is quite likely this arrangement exists in other products.

As it stands, that ham packaging is suspect, with or without a Bord Bia logo.

Yes that was some in dept Journalism!

They said "hi, where did this chicken originate"
    Denny replied "Brazil"

The product as far as Denny are concerned was produced in Ireland using chicken from Brazil. It is shocking that they are allowed do such a thing but they didn't use the Board Bia logo as they were not allowed use it, so why would they use it on the ham unless they were allowed use it? And they are only allowed use it if the ham came from not just an Irish farm but a Board Bia Quality Assured farm.

Yes that was some in dept Journalism!

They said "hi, where did this chicken originate"
    Denny replied "Brazil"

The product as far as Denny are concerned was produced in Ireland using meat from Brazil. It is shocking that they are allowed do such a thing but they didn't use the Board Bia logo as they were not allowed use it, so why would they use it on the ham unless they were allowed use it? And they are only allowed use it if the ham came from not just an Irish farm but a Board Bia Quality Assured farm.

There's no mention of the *meat's* origin country.

There's no mention of the *meat's* origin country.

Well salt can't be in a Board Bia Quality assurance scheme.
    The overriding principle, in Bord Bia allowing any Bord Bia Logo to be used, is that the Logo must be clear,
    unambiguous and must not mislead the consumer, whether on pack, or on advertising and promotional material.

Advertisement