Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

fricatus wrote: »
    I saw on Twitter that apparently there's a new Japanese place on the Manor.

Anyone know the name or have a link to a website?

I had heard the people who bought the Manor Court were going Japanese, but I haven't seen much action there .
    That is the old Holy Ghost Lodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I had heard the people who bought the Manor Court were going Japanese, but I haven't seen much action there .
    That is the old Holy Ghost Lodge.

That would be a big mistake in Waterford!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

That would be a big mistake in Waterford!

Why would that be?

iseegirls wrote: »
    Why would that be?

Quite obvious:
    The Irish Don't eat Japanese food.
    To small a population in Waterford.
    No demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Waggamamma do pretty well. Yammamori also.

I think it would do great.

• Advertisement

Waggamamma do pretty well. Yammamori also.

I think it would do great.

In Dublin or London.
    Time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

In Dublin or London.
    Time will tell

Wagamama's does well in Cork as well. As for the UK - they have a lot of restaurants outside of London.

Do you have a business that is going to seriously affected if this place opens? Such negativity from you and it hasn't even opened yet - any new restaurant that opens up in Waterford, especially one that's a new cuisine should be welcomed and supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Any link to the Japanese Restaurant news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Dúirt bean liom go ndúirt bean léi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭deisemum

I went over to Waterford Castle for dinner last night. It was excellent and by far the best meal I've ever had there, service was excellent too and good to see it busy considering it was a Monday night and they weren't all residents either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Was in Burzza the other day for lunch was fantastic.

Had chicken wings to start. They where not the small frozen chicken wings that you get everywhere but they where proper full size wings and where extremely tastily.

Have also had there Anti Pasta before as well as a starter and it was proper Italian style as they are using high quietly tastey meet on it.

But for mains i had a burger with beacon and cheese on it with chips the burger was so tasty and wet with its juices like a proper burger should be and the brioche bun is also extremely nice and not to sweet like some brioche buns seem to be.

Had a bottle of Brow Dog Punk IPA with it and was extremely delighted with everything.

If i am ever out for lunch this seems to be the place i am always heading lately.

deisemum wrote: »
    I went over to Waterford Castle for dinner last night. It was excellent and by far the best meal I've ever had there, service was excellent too and good to see it busy considering it was a Monday night and they weren't all residents either.

What did you have to eat? drink? any details...!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Dinner tonight in Kambos in the Ballinakill Centre. Early bird for €19.50 - starters, mains, dessert and coffee. And nice food. We usually get a take away but we thought what the hell and sat down. Well worth it

What did you have to eat? drink? any details...!!!

I had the amuse bouche, strawberry and balsamic sorbet, smoked salmon starter, fillet steak for main course, white chocolate brownie for dessert, cappuccino and petit fours with half a bottle of white wine.

My other half had the same apart from the lamb for the mains and the cheeseboard for dessert. The cheeseboard is a lot of cheese and he couldn't finish it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Had food in Burzza recently - just a pizza and dessert. Very good service, excellent food. Highly recommend it.

Also had food in Oskars - another excellent restaurant. Very good service, excellent food, excellent sized portions and tasted delicious. Had Lasagna one day and breakfast another (the breakfast wasn't as nice, but was still good).

Great to have good selection of restaurants!

Sully wrote: »
    Had food in Burzza recently - just a pizza and dessert. Very good service, excellent food. Highly recommend it.

Also had food in Oskars - another excellent restaurant. Very good service, excellent food, excellent sized portions and tasted delicious. Had Lasagna one day and breakfast another (the breakfast wasn't as nice, but was still good).

Great to have good selection of restaurants!
    I hope the lasagne in Oskars has improved. I had it about a year ago, and it was a mushy slop. I had to eat most of it with a spoon.

I eat there once a month or so, and I really like their food (apart from the "Fat"chips, which tend to be hard on the inside. But I've shied away from the lasagne since that time.

Going to L'Atmosphere during the week for my husband's birthday - can't wait!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

katydid wrote: »
    I hope the lasagne in Oskars has improved. I had it about a year ago, and it was a mushy slop. I had to eat most of it with a spoon.

I eat there once a month or so, and I really like their food (apart from the "Fat"chips, which tend to be hard on the inside. But I've shied away from the lasagne since that time.

Going to L'Atmosphere during the week for my husband's birthday - can't wait!

The lasagna was a bit sloppy but I wasn't bothered, it was very nice and tasty. Chips were too.

Sully wrote: »
    The lasagna was a bit sloppy but I wasn't bothered, it was very nice and tasty. Chips were too.

I like my lasagne firm and my chips soft in the middle. Seems Oskars do things the other way round! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

The longer Lasagna is left out, the harder it gets. This is a fine example of difference in taste. When I make lasagna at home, I prefer it the next day, wheras the missus prefers it fresh out of the oven...when it's, sloppy as described above. Seems to me that Flash is being criticised for having fresh lasagna!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Quite obvious:
    The Irish Don't eat Japanese food.
    To small a population in Waterford.
    No demand.

Rubbish... I'm Irish and would eat Japanese food until the cows come home. I spent some time in Tokyo and loved practically every meal. There's plenty of variety there, so if you don't like sushi/sashimi, there are lovely warming noodle (ramen, soba, udon) dishes that are the business.

Stuff like tonkatsu is just a breaded fillet of pork or chicken and goes with rice and a curry sauce, or maybe a separate bowl of lovely miso soup. There is practically nothing there that you wouldn't eat if you already eat Indian and Chinese. I can remember when there was one Chinese in Waterford and no Indian, and there were people saying it would never catch on. Japanese cuisine is top notch, and if such a place opens, I'll be in there whenever I can.

...and I really like their food (apart from the "Fat"chips, which tend to be hard on the inside.

Eugghhhh!!! I hate that - so much so that if I get a chip like that, I want to vomit. I will gladly give my custom to a place that either has skinny, soft-in-the-middle chips, or at least allows you to specify the type you want. So many places do these fat chips which are like a whole quarter of a potato - rotten!

Anyone know any place that does French fries the proper way? (and I mean like in France/Belgium/NL, not McDonalds, BK, etc!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Was in Burzza Recently, the Food and service was a bit patchy, Pizza was good where as the Burgers were only ok. When things were calm the service was good and friendly but when things got busy the service got a little sloppy and even snippy at one point.

Over all though it was a good experience and I would go back. Although I have to say that "Burzza" is an awful name for a restaurant.

The longer Lasagna is left out, the harder it gets. This is a fine example of difference in taste. When I make lasagna at home, I prefer it the next day, wheras the missus prefers it fresh out of the oven...when it's, sloppy as described above. Seems to me that Flash is being criticised for having fresh lasagna!

There's sloppy and there's sloppy. Fresh lasagne should be soft but firm, with not too much cheese sauce or tomato sauce. I make it at home a lot, and when it comes out of the oven it's nice and soft. But not so you have to eat it with a spoon.

Anyway, it's all down to taste in the end.

fricatus wrote: »
    Eugghhhh!!! I hate that - so much so that if I get a chip like that, I want to vomit. I will gladly give my custom to a place that either has skinny, soft-in-the-middle chips, or at least allows you to specify the type you want. So many places do these fat chips which are like a whole quarter of a potato - rotten!

Anyone know any place that does French fries the proper way? (and I mean like in France/Belgium/NL, not McDonalds, BK, etc!)

I do like fat chips if they're properly done, and they can be. In Oskars they only do fat chips, and I just don't order them anymore because the last few times I did I had to leave at least half of them. I asked if they had other types of chips, but no, they only do the "fat chips". A shame; I love fish and chips and they do lovely fish...

Was in Burzza Recently, the Food and service was a bit patchy, Pizza was good where as the Burgers were only ok. When things were calm the service was good and friendly but when things got busy the service got a little sloppy and even snippy at one point.

Over all though it was a good experience and I would go back. Although I have to say that "Burzza" is an awful name for a restaurant.

I haven't been yet, but I have to say that I've heard more slightly negative reports than positive ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

I haven't been yet, but I have to say that I've heard more slightly negative reports than positive ones.

We didn't have a negative experience at all, there is just a bit of room for improvement.

L'Atmosphère was lovely tonight. Not many there, but the food was fabulous. My other half had snails - they smelt nice and garlicky, but I didn't dare trying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭shayp83

Myself and da lack go to brooklyn pizza place in tramore, we can't get enough of the food there its fantastic and the staff are brilliant, it's always busy which is not a bad thing from a business point of view

My friends and I went to Water Valley restaurant tonight- it used to be Kongs and it's behind the Topaz garage on the Dunmore Road. It does both Indian and Thai food. It was excellent and very reasonable. €124 for 5 of us - starters - 2 complimentary, main courses, 2 bottles of wine and complimentary tea and chocolates. The menu's on their facebook page.

deisemum wrote: »
    My friends and I went to Water Valley restaurant tonight- it used to be Kongs and it's behind the Topaz garage on the Dunmore Road. It does both Indian and Thai food. It was excellent and very reasonable. €124 for 5 of us - starters - 2 complimentary, main courses, 2 bottles of wine and complimentary tea and chocolates. The menu's on their facebook page.
    I got the leaflet in the door and I was thinking of trying them. I was put off, to be honest, by the badly written leaflet - full of bad spellings and strange descriptions. I might try a take away this weekend.

I do love Kambo's though. But they don't do Indian, so it's good to have an Indian out this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭shayp83

I got the leaflet in the door and I was thinking of trying them. I was put off, to be honest, by the badly written leaflet - full of bad spellings and strange descriptions. I might try a take away this weekend.

I do love Kambo's though. But they don't do Indian, so it's good to have an Indian out this way.

I'm glad you said it, it took me awhile to figure out what was going on, I was like what is this strange food they got! Must try them soon loves an Indian food so I do. Still looking for some one beat my eastenders tho

Advertisement