Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S on licence

Options
  • 08-04-2019 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Got my grant letters today.
    Applied 28th Feb. Grants in post today.
    However, how do I know if the s for moderator is granted? Do I need to wait for the licence to arrive?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Hack12

When the licence arrives it will have or haven't a S on it. You will also know how many rounds you have been approved for.

If you know your firearms officer give them a call and they may tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭J.R.

It will be under the letter e in firearm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Cheers for that. I'll wait and see if it's on it.
    Didn't get the last time so hopefully this time as I included a letter with application

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shootin79

The s on the licence is a bit of a hit and miss from my experience. I have a .22 and a .223 for years and every time i renew them their different. For example i always tick silencer/moderator on the renewal form. This year the. 223 was renewed but no s on the liscence. The last liscence had an s ???? And similar for the .22 . For the past 12 years iv had no s on the liscence but last year they decided to put an s on it?? Im sure this is the case for many people. ðŸ‘

I'll know soon enough I guess.
    Is it a serious offence to get or have a mod without the elusive little "s"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Shootin79

kay 9 wrote: »
    I'll know soon enough I guess.

To be honest i dont know. It never really bothered me whether i had the s or not. But if you were approached then have your reasons why an application for a silencer/ moderator was sought. I wouldn't worry unless you get it in writing that you are refused a silencer.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Hack12

No S on your licence you cannot use one. If you're caught with one without permission say goodbye to your gun at a minimum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

kay 9 wrote: »
    A suppressor is a firearm under Irish law. It means being caught with one without authorisation is the same as having a shotgun, rifle, pistol, etc. with no license. It is a very serious offence.

Anyone who says to "just go for it" is giving you piss poor advice and won'tt have to worry about you being caught or the ramifications (which can include in the absolute worse case scenario, a fine up to €25,000 and/or up to 5 years imprisonment).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    A suppressor is a firearm under Irish law. It means being caught with one without authorisation is the same as having a shotgun, rifle, pistol, etc. with no license. It is a very serious offence.

Anyone who says to "just go for it" is giving you piss poor advice and won'tt have to worry about you being caught or the ramifications (which can include in the absolute worse case scenario, a fine up to €25,000 and/or up to 5 years imprisonment).

Cheers for clearing that up.
    Was in a grey area with it up to now.
    Good to know.
    Hopefully the s is printed or I'll have to approaches fo again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If you've ticked the box for a silencer/moderator on the application form/renewal form and the magic "S" doesn't appear on your licence, make sure and go into the Garda Station and ask why it's not on it. Ask was it refused and if it was refused, ask for that refusal in writing.

It happened me before and when I went in and questioned it, lo and behold a new licence was sent out to me with the magic "S" on it.

I was told it was a 'typing error'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

At this stage I have the 's' on all of my rifles licences including one that will never be threaded for a moderator due to its design.

My reasoning is, in the future, if I need one etc etc I have a history of ownership. It cost nought to apply and there's no requirement for you to actualy use one.

If I could, and legally I can't see why not, the technology and hardware exsists, I'd apply for them on the shotguns as well.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    If you've ticked the box for a silencer/moderator on the application form/renewal form and the magic "S" doesn't appear on your licence, make sure and go into the Garda Station and ask why it's not on it. Ask was it refused and if it was refused, ask for that refusal in writing.

It happened me before and when I went in and questioned it, lo and behold a new licence was sent out to me with the magic "S" on it.

I was told it was a 'typing error'.

Thanks for that mate

Just a quick update.
    Got the "S"
    Now to hang onto it for renewals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Does it mention the 'S' anywhere in legislation.

I know ignorance is no defence when it come to the law, but could you argue that you applied for it on your application and were never told that precise part of your application was refused.

After all, if your license arrives in the post and you knew nothing about the 'S' you could easily presume your entire application had been successful.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Does it mention the 'S' anywhere in legislation.
    Not the "S" but the authorisation that is required to hold a suppressor which must be in written form, and in 2009 with the issuing of new licenses was substituted from a letter written by the Super every year (with renewal of the yearly gun license) tothe "S" in the license every three years.

The 1990 offensive weapons act, section 7 i believe.
    I know ignorance is no defence when it come to the law, but could you argue that you applied for it on your application and were never told that precise part of your application was refused.
    Nope.

As a suppressor is classed the same as a firearm, under the 1990 act, it would the same as being caught with a rifle, no license, and saying you didn't know your license wasn't renewed.
    all, if your license arrives in the post and you knew nothing about the 'S' you could easily presume your entire application had been successful.

Section 2 of the 1925 act states the onus is on the applicant to know the type of license required and who it must be sent to. So if you claim ignorance it will be ignored and you'll be done for it as the law says you showuld know you need authorisation (whether that is in written letter form or the "S" on the license).

So you're on the hook regardless of how it plays out.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Cass wrote: »
    Not the "S" but the authorisation that is required to hold a suppressor which must be in written form, and in 2009 with the issuing of new licenses was substituted from a letter written by the Super every year (with renewal of the yearly gun license) tothe "S" in the license every three years.

The 1990 offensive weapons act, section 7 i believe.

Nope.

As a suppressor is classed the same as a firearm, under the 1990 act, it would the same as being caught with a rifle, no license, and saying you didn't know your license wasn't renewed.

Section 2 of the 1925 act states the onus is on the applicant to know the type of license required and who it must be sent to. So if you claim ignorance it will be ignored and you'll be done for it as the law says you showuld know you need authorisation (whether that is in written letter form or the "S" on the license).

So you're on the hook regardless of how it plays out.

Are the Gardaí obliged to issue a refusal in writing?

They should, yes.

If, and it is, a suppressor is the same a firearm under law then to be refused a firearms licenses you must be notified in writing with a reason why. So it stands to reason you should be notified of the same when refused a suppressor.

The biggest issue i've seen when lads don't get the "S" is they simply didn't get it and won't ask for a reason. IOW they simply accept the fact they don't have it. In some cases it's omission on behalf of the FO when issuing the license via PULSE and in others its simply not put on the license and because no ones questions it the authorisation is withheld.

Sometimes a simple call or meeting can get the authorisation without too much fuss. It's always worth pursuing.

Advertisement