Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ryanair discusion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

I'm off to Edinburgh on the 23rd. Time to look at alternative arrangements!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    It’s only the directly employed pilots. The flight may still operate esp if it’s Spanish based. Is the MAD DUB before or after yours? If before it’s a MAD based plane.

Are Ryanair pilots asking for a 70% pay rise?

Most of the union is made up of the Captains, flights can’t operate without a Captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

There are three flights to Madrid and four to Edinburgh. You'll be getting to your destination on the day and most likely on flight you booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Morby

When will the affected routes be publicised? I was just about to book a flight flying out the 23rd, I'm thinking I had best leave it now though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Flying mid-day on 24th. Is there likely to be much of a delay, family of 5, 3 young kids.

• Advertisement

Flying mid-day on 24th. Is there likely to be much of a delay, family of 5, 3 young kids.
    No, it will be a fresh new day with no strike planned for that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

rivegauche wrote: »
    No, it will be a fresh new day with no strike planned for that day.

Thanks, I'm thinking backlogs etc

No, they'll cancel what they need to cancel and run the rest on strike days. They won't be able to find any excuse deny compensation on a day when there is no industrial action so they'll make sure to deliver the service to avoid eu261 payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

It’s only the directly employed pilots. The flight may still operate esp if it’s Spanish based. Is the MAD DUB before or after yours? If before it’s a MAD based plane.

6:15 AM so one of the first flights out of the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule

Are flights on the 22nd okay or is it included?

• Advertisement

defrule wrote: »
    Are flights on the 22nd okay or is it included?
    Strike Action is from Midnight 00:00AM on 22nd in an attempt to maximise impact on Ryanair and its Customers as British based pilots are striking on the same days.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Diagonalley

I live about 15 min drive so I might be able to do that alright, although I don't see any evidence of being able to do this on their website!
    Oh wait just read the above emails. Anyway turns out it wont be an option for me as wont be able to borrow a car.
    Has anyone had to do this bag drop thing early morning lately? Are the queues ridic?

My flight was at 5:45 the other week. RyanAir bag drop at Dublin is the most efficient I have ever seen. 2 minutes max, there is never a queue and always self service machines free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

101% pay rise apparently on top of €172,000 current salary: https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-passengers-face-48-hour-strike-as-pay-row-talks-with-pilots-break-down-38404633.html

Last time Irish based pilots striked, I think they cancelled mostly flights to and from the UK due to the large number scheduled to reduce disruption as it was easier to move around passengers on these routes. With any luck they will do the same again so as to avoid disruption for those booked on sun holidays. I think this coincides with UK pilots strike so presumably the Ireland/UK routes will be the worst hit with less frequent destinations prioritised.

Hopefully anyone already booked in here will be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Diagonalley

grimm2005 wrote: »
    101% pay rise apparently on top of €172,000 current salary: https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-passengers-face-48-hour-strike-as-pay-row-talks-with-pilots-break-down-38404633.html

Last time Irish based pilots striked, I think they cancelled mostly flights to and from the UK due to the large number scheduled to reduce disruption as it was easier to move around passengers on these routes. With any luck they will do the same again so as to avoid disruption for those booked on sun holidays. I think this coincides with UK pilots strike so presumably the Ireland/UK routes will be the worst hit with less frequent destinations prioritised.

Hopefully anyone already booked in here will be okay.

101% - OMG, They don’t deserve jobs. That is outrageous. If they feel their jobs are that underpaid then I think it’s time to move on and see if that grass is really greener. All us poor workers who are lucky to get a few percent a year and have scrimped and saved, and looked forward to our bit of Sun all year. Shame on them.

101% - OMG, They don’t deserve jobs. That is outrageous. If they feel their jobs are that underpaid then I think it’s time to move on and see if that grass is really greener. All us poor workers who are lucky to get a few percent a year and have scrimped and saved, and looked forward to our bit of Sun all year. Shame on them.

I don't have a thorough knowledge of the average pay of an Irish based airline pilot but certainly on the surface this does seem ludicrously excessive considering their current pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

Probably worth noting that it's Ryanair stating that the Pilots want a 100% pay increase, take it with all the salt you can hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

Are people really that gullible/naive that they’d take what Ryanair’s chief people officer is saying as gospel particularly as it relates to an industrial dispute and is using the medium of the IRISH INDEPENDENT?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Are people really that gullible/naive that they’d take what Ryanair’s chief people officer is saying as gospel particularly as it relates to an industrial dispute and is using the medium of the IRISH INDEPENDENT?

Agreed but don’t IALPA say what their demands are?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭paulocon2

Flying to Manchester Friday 23rd and back 25th (treating the young lads to a football trip before back-to-school)

Should I look at alternative arrangements (boat + train) for the trip out.

Assume no extra flights on the Saturday to make up for Friday’s cancellations?

The same figures are being published via many media outlets (RTE, Irish Times etc). Presumably if the figures are completely false Forsa/IALPA or whoever will come out and dispute that. You can't take anything as gospel from either side, but work with whats out there, until now we've heard nothing about what's been sought from either side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭blackwhite

grimm2005 wrote: »
    The same figures are being published via many media outlets (RTE, Irish Times etc). Presumably if the figures are completely false Forsa/IALPA or whoever will come out and dispute that. You can't take anything as gospel from either side, but work with whats out there, until now we've heard nothing about what's been sought from either side.

The union rep on Newstalk this morning did more damage to the pilots' public image than Ryanair ever could.
    Evasive, dithering, and refused more than once to actually refute the 101% number.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

Comhra wrote: »
    Judging by most of the media reports I've seen and heard, majority of the flying public are supporting the pilots and blaming Ryanair for their failure to negotiate meaningfully or show any respect towards their staff.

Wishful thinking. The fact is that, whether it be BA, Aer Lingus or Ryanair, to the general public the names of BALPA/IALPA are and always will be synonymous with greed and selfishness. Moreover, trying to camouflage IALPA in the guise of Forsa will fool only the very naive.

Most of the union is made up of the Captains,

i.e., the already very well paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭billie1b

€172,000 p.a, best joke of the morning ever, Ray Conway would be lucky to be even on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

blackwhite wrote: »
    The union rep on Newstalk this morning did more damage to the pilots' public image than Ryanair ever could.
    Evasive, dithering, and refused more than once to actually refute the 101% number.

After listening to her I have complete sympathy with Ryanair, I've never heard such an evasive interviewee for a long time. No matter how many times she was asked how much of an increase they were looking for she wouldn't answer so can only assume the 101% figure is correct.

After listening to her I have complete sympathy with Ryanair, I've never heard such an evasive interviewee for a long time. No matter how many times she was asked how much of an increase they were looking for she wouldn't answer so can only assume the 101% figure is correct.
    In the interests of fairness if you have 9min50sec spare it is probably better for people to decide for themselves after listening: https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts
    The link is labelled "Pilots pay is a complex matter".

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Just listened to it myself there. Completely avoiding the questions about their demands. Typical union behaviour here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Very interesting what's going on, I don't think the pilots will get much public sympathy when there's lots of flight delays and cancellations...

And with Ryanair having 900 too many pilots and cabin crew than they need, and the Max groundings, I would predict RA will close more bases and terminate pilot contracts..

While i'd have sympathy for pilots they aren't low paid or low skilled and can apply for jobs with any of the major established airlines..

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    While i'd have sympathy for pilots they aren't low paid or skilled
    ? Pilots have skills. Can you phrase that a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

rivegauche wrote: »
    ? Pilots have skills. Can you phrase that a bit better.

Yes I can. They have skills which are in demand so are eminently employable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Winning the media narrative has never won a labour dispute for the unions. The majority of the time the general public won't be on the side of the strikers. So there isn't too much point in wasting time and energy on a media campaign. The corporation trying to suppress the strikes will go to lengths to fight a media battle as they will try to put as much pressure on their workers to back out.

Clearly there are problems network wide for Ryanair with both cabin crew and pilot strikes planned here, the UK, Portugal and Spain so far.

As far as comments relating to them having too many pilots and cabin crew. It all relates to Ryanairs media campaign. They are not overcrewed and continue to hire and advertise for positions. Remember expansion is at worst flat but there is no reduction in capacity this winter vs last winter.

Advertisement