Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

pelevin wrote: »
    Big result for Sam, winning Paris-Bourges! CyclingQuotes.com have a decent write up.

That's two years in a row... Impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

He'd be a great signing for the new Irish team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Can't see him departing his current setup. He'll still get plenty of opportunity to go for it in sprints

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

He's too big a star for them at this time. Has his train and in a good set up where he is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

RobFowl wrote: »
    He's too big a star for them at this time. Has his train and in a good set up where he is :)

Sagan coming next year might inconvenience him, but if Bora get a world tour licence there should be enough races to get around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

He'd be great for the team but I think Bennett should have loftier ambitions to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Good piece with him on CyclingTips with Shane Stokes:
    https://cyclingtips.com/2016/12/syncing-with-sagan-sam-bennett-looks-ahead-to-2017/

Glad he'll be doing the Giro.

Nice easing of any early season pressure for Sam & his team with a win for him today in Australia:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/cadel-evans-great-ocean-road-race-towards-zero-race-melbourne-2017/elite-men/results/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Sam riding KBK then Paris Nice.
    I hope to see at least one win ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Looks like Sam is doing well for himself, has he just got a Lamborghini Aventador?

https://twitter.com/Sammmy_Be/status/872142507706109956

https://twitter.com/ButlerP73/status/872141525161046019

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,497 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

He named it after me.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Ah here, that's obscene. I mean, where's the bike rack :pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,497 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ah here, that's obscene. I mean, where's the bike rack :pac:

You mean that thing on the back is not a specially designed Saris variant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Sam has won Stage 1 of the Tour de Slovénie (2.1).
    He beat Colbrelli, Mezgec, Ferrari and some old bloke called Cavendish.
    Highlights on Eurosport2 at 11.30pm tonight.
    "I must admit that today I didn’t expect stage victory. I'm still feeling tired from Giro and I'm surprised over this amazing result. After the crash in that last corner positions changed somewhat and I saw my opportunity for a victory and I took it. Thanks to my team I did it!"

Sam gets to wear the green leader's jersey during Stage 2, which is also expected to finish in a bunch sprint.

• Advertisement

Another win for sam in Slovenia great few days for him and the team love how his lead out men always celebrate as he cross the line

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

too bad he misses tour de france, hope he'll made la vuelta de espana

connachta wrote: »

Yeah hopefully he'll make the Vuelta squad, although looking at the stage profiles, only about 4 will end in a big bunch sprint. So there won't be many opportunities for Sam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Sam is doing some job for the Country's Ranking re a bigger Worlds Team. Higher than usual at this stage thanks to his results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Sam is doing some job for the Country's Ranking re a bigger Worlds Team. Higher than usual at this stage thanks to his results.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

connachta wrote: »

I think he said after the Giro that he wasnt doing the Tour to be ready for Spain. Can't find the interview now.

Given his results how would he rank between him, dan and Nico?

Would it be Dan, Sam, Nico based on results?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

2017 UCI Ranking Points

Dan Martin - 2542
    Sam Bennett - 546
    Nico Roche - 511

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Sh1t camera work right at the end of the race. Disgraceful. What's the Slovenian equivalent of the Indo so I can write a letter of dismay.

Inquitus wrote: »
    2017 UCI Ranking Points

Dan Martin - 2542
    Sam Bennett - 546
    Nico Roche - 511

Not updated with latest results yet, should be tomorrow though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

2017 UCI Ranking Points

Dan Martin - 2542
    Sam Bennett - 546
    Nico Roche - 511

Is that this year or career?

godtabh wrote: »
    Is that this year or career?

Calendar year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

http://www.uci.ch/road/ranking/

U.C.I. Road rankings

Highlights of today's stage on Eurosport 1 now. 40km to go.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    http://www.uci.ch/road/ranking/

U.C.I. Road rankings

Interesting reading the Individual rankings. Didn't expect to see Dan so high up. To pick one other, surprising to see Diego Ulissi 15th - 2 ahead of Kwiatkowski.

pelevin wrote: »
    Interesting reading the Individual rankings. Didn't expect to see Dan so high up. To pick one other, surprising to see Diego Ulissi 15th - 2 ahead of Kwiatkowski.

Ulissi is ranked so high because he picked up a bucket load of UCI points for finishing 5th in the Tour Down Under GC and winning the 1.1 ranked G.P. Costa degli Etruschi one-day race (against a bunch of amateurs... okay slight exaggeration but opposition was weak).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

How much bike would Sam or the other WT guys sit on ? I'm sure my car is worth less :D

How much bike would Sam or the other WT guys sit on ? I'm sure my car is worth less :D

Guts of €10k but many items bespoke so in many ways invaluable

Guts of €10k but many items bespoke so in many ways invaluable

In this case its more about the replacement frame/lack of bike. He is getting a lot of offers for lends on twitter.

godtabh wrote: »
    In this case its more about the replacement frame/lack of bike. He is getting a lot of offers for lends on twitter.

Don't think Sam was ever at risk of not having a bike ;)

I could only imagine what he would turn up in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Just saw Sam's Giro nemesis Gaviria is recovering from surgery and won't be riding the Vuelta. Anyone know if Sam plans on doing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

happytramp wrote: »
    Just saw Sam's Giro nemesis Gaviria is recovering from surgery and won't be riding the Vuelta. Anyone know if Sam plans on doing it?

Sagan will surely do it now

happytramp wrote: »

Sagan will surely do it now
    Sagan supposedly concentrating on Worlds now and is not planning to do Vuelta.

• Advertisement

Think he may have been a few years ago when he was close to jacking it all in;);)

Sagan supposedly concentrating on Worlds now and is not planning to do Vuelta.

Sagan is doing Poland and Worlds so unlikely he'll contest the Vuelta too?

So if segan is doing poland maybe Sam is in for San Sebastian ? must have a look and see if there are any team listings for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

2017 UCI Ranking Points

Dan Martin - 2542
    Sam Bennett - 546
    Nico Roche - 511
    Someone mentioned elsewhere that this impacts size of team Ireland is allowed in world road race.
    Last year I think we had two. How many will we have this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

rtmie wrote: »
    Someone mentioned elsewhere that this impacts size of team Ireland is allowed in world road race.
    Last year I think we had two. How many will we have this year?

6 as it stands I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Bennet not listed in initial Vuelta line up so far but could appear yet.

Sagan is doing Poland and Worlds so unlikely he'll contest the Vuelta too?

So if segan is doing poland maybe Sam is in for San Sebastian ? must have a look and see if there are any team listings for those.

Procyclingstats.com is usually pretty good for team listings and unofficial start lists.

A full team is listed for San Sebastian but no Sam; it wouldn't be his type of parcours anyway.

For the Vuelta, Procyclingstats just have Majka and Konig listed for Bora-Hansgrohe.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd have thought Sagan's dq in TdF would make his appearance in vuelta greater. He's the most bankable name and sponsors can influence

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'd have thought Sagan's dq in TdF would make his appearance in vuelta greater. He's the most bankable name and sponsors can influence

From what I saw Veulta isn't a race for either Sagan or Bennet which was what made me think Sam lost out with Sagan riding Poland next week. I'm convinced Sam was there before the DQ at the Tour de France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Weepsie wrote: »

Sagan has a history of doing the two Canadian one day races (Quebec and Montreal) and these overlap with the Vuelta and are often seen as better prep for the worlds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Sam is on the provisional start list for the Surrey-London Classic on Sunday which takes over most of the London 2012 Olympic RR route and is seen as a sprinters race. Previous winners include Boonen , Renshaw and Blythe.
    It will be good to see where Sams form is after such a gap in racing. There are a few sprinters also racing coming off the back of a tough TDF (Greipel, Matthews, Degenkolb) as well as Viviani and Jean-Pierre Drucker

Other Irish interest will be in the form of Ryan Mullen and the AquaBlue boys

Coverage will be live on BBC 1 from 15.30-18.30 (Hugh Porter :(:() with highlights on Eurosport in the evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

cunavalos wrote: »
    Sam is on the provisional start list for the Surrey-London Classic on Sunday which takes over most of the London 2012 Olympic RR route and is seen as a sprinters race. Previous winners include Boonen , Renshaw and Blythe.
    It will be good to see where Sams form is after such a gap in racing. There are a few sprinters also racing coming off the back of a tough TDF (Greipel, Matthews, Degenkolb) as well as Viviani and Jean-Pierre Drucker

Other Irish interest will be in the form of Ryan Mullen and the AquaBlue boys

Coverage will be live on BBC 1 from 15.30-18.30 (Hugh Porter :(:() with highlights on Eurosport in the evening

Prize pool

https://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/events/classic/prizes/prize-money/

• Advertisement
Advertisement