Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Remember spoiler tags, even if your post doesn't say anything, being speculative can be just as annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

CramCycle wrote: »
    MOD VOICE: Remember spoiler tags, even if your post doesn't say anything, being speculative can be just as annoying

Sorry about that, I was hesitating

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Sam will wear the Young Rider's Jersey in Stage 2.

20150813cy8006_670.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great win.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Sam has just won Stage 2 of the Arctic Race of Norway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

The race isn't televised anywhere in Ireland is it?

I think its on eurosport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Eurosport.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

It was a great win. Bora Argon 18 had the strongest lead out but Sam got swamped and lost the wheel of his train. He had about 15 riders ahead of him and I though he'd lost it there, but in the last 100m he cut through the centre like a knife.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

CMYXnudWsAEGq9G.jpg:large

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Guys

Images don't work through spoilers - I have started a stage-specific thread if you wish to openly discuss today's stage without spoiler tags

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Isn't updating this specific thread on the day of a race featuring Sam pretty much a spoiler that he did well, or crashed? :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

buffalo wrote: »
    Isn't updating this specific thread on the day of a race featuring Sam pretty much a spoiler that he did well, or crashed? :D
    As is starting a separate stage thread for a non Grand Tour event after the stage has ended, which is what I did yesterday. However I am sure some posters want to discuss it, and at least using spoilers or specific stage threads leaves some scope for posters to watch delayed coverage without knowing exactly what happened beforehand

Same applies for the likes of Dan Martin and Nico Roche

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Not everyone here is Irish, you know? What about the Polish and Engerlish? Where do we draw the line?

buffalo wrote: »

Not really, in the past we have updates about riders where they fell short or just rode in.

I am following the race with an interest in Sam and TNN as well.

I prefer no spoilers about any of it if I wasn't watching it. The spoiler tags are the best we can do, no one has to look at them, if you don't it's either good, bad or indifferent so it spoils nothing IMO. Might hint (if you know the posters) that it is interesting but not in which regard (positive/negative).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Not everyone here is Irish, you know? What about the Polish and Engerlish? Where do we draw the line?
    Nico is French and Dan is British. Does that help? :pac:

Lumen wrote: »
    Nico is French and Dan is British. Does that help? :pac:
    Sam is Belgian just to even things up a bit ....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Great for Sammy. Very good sprint, made Kristoff looking like a junior

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Sam is Belgian just to even things up a bit ....

Just not as Belgian as Wiggins and no convict blood in him either ;)

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Where do we draw the line?
    With the Aussies by the sound of it:
    RobFowl wrote: »
    Just not as Belgian as Wiggins and no convict blood in him either ;)

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

Just spotted this - was on last weekend it is available as a podcast could be worth a listen

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2015/0925/730247-from-carrick-on-suir-to-the-cote-dazur/

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Sam did well yesterday. Sprint finish at about 22 mins in
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM7Sj_zSEuQ

Don't think he has much chance today though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Sam did well yesterday. Sprint finish at about 22 mins in
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM7Sj_zSEuQ

Don't think he has much chance today though.

Super ride yesterday

Feck all chance today esp as not selected by team ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

definitely worth a fiver each way for Milan San Remo at 80/1 although I think next year might be his year. I've a concern that the distance might still be beyond him this year although he's made rapid improvement

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    definitely worth a fiver each way for Milan San Remo at 80/1 although I think next year might be his year. I've a concern that the distance might still be beyond him this year although he's made rapid improvement

He's young but did ride the full distance last year and came in about 5 mins back. Definitely worth a shot and can climb a bit certainly better than most sprinters.
    We forget he's still very young !!
    Took Kelly til he was 27 to win a classic.....

Aha!
    Good call! Hopefully he'll do well again in another of the races over the weekend anyway.

Aha!
    Good call! Hopefully he'll do well again in another of the races over the weekend anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

RobFowl wrote: »
    He's young but did ride the full distance last year and came in about 5 mins back. Definitely worth a shot and can climb a bit certainly better than most sprinters.
    We forget he's still very young !!
    Took Kelly til he was 27 to win a classic.....

his end of season was brilliant, the Worlds was a massive step up on anything he'd done including his wins. if he hadn't put the hammer down bringing the second bunch across on the hill before the bell lap he would have had a bit more for the final.

if he took that and a blemish free race campaign, he could easily make the front group this year and after that everyone is on the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

4th today in Mallorca

1º Greipel (LTS)
    2º Bouhanni (COF)
    3º Page (Roth Sköda)
    4º Bennett (BOA)
    5º Torres (ESP)

Moves onto Tour of Qatar Monday week (8th Feb) which typically ends in a sprint for 4/5 stages

Advertisement