Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Not disagreeing, but all this assumes UFC is meritocratic...Can anyone imagine Dana being dissatisfied if Dustin is injured? Though I wonder how much more Tony would sell over Dustin right now.

Other question - is it as financially viable to have McGregor on middle east card as US? They could probably make more on gate in middle east?

The money made on the gate is irrelevant due to the fact that it is dwarfed by the US PPV buys, so the only thing viable financially is to have him fight in the US. If it was down to the gate having him fight in Croke Park in front of 80k+ fans would have been done by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

VW 1 wrote: »
    The money made on the gate is irrelevant due to the fact that it is dwarfed by the US PPV buys, so the only thing viable financially is to have him fight in the US. If it was down to the gate having him fight in Croke Park in front of 80k+ fans would have been done by now.

Yeah agreed, had heard PPV agreement changed with ESPN, not sure of details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Yeah agreed, had heard PPV agreement changed with ESPN, not sure of details.

Well the way it works for a customer is they've to sign up to espn plus for a month and buy a (now cheaper) ppv so the overall cost is the same but there's an extra step in subscribing.

But the word is also that as the ufc have now cut out the middleman (box office provider) and gone straight to espn for network coverage, that the ufc are seeing more of the 60 dollars or whatever it is that a customer pays, compared to (rumoured) 50% cut from previously. Its a little ambiguous as they don't release any of the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

They should have done the wwe model 9.99 a month or whatever and you get all ppvs

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Mod: Posts moved about the Charity boxing match to the Off Topic thread, it has nothing to do with MMA, it's very clear what goes where so post in the right place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

I understand moving the gossip/showbiz stuff, but the boxing match is him fighting so a bit weird to put it in off topic. If this is strictly 'mma' only then may as well close the thread until a fight is announced. Or change the thread name since most of the discussion seems to be general UFC rather than conor mcgregor related.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

The first post explains what goes here and what goes there, it's quite easy to follow. There's no need to close the thread or change the name, just a need for people to read and post in the right place..

Also, there was the opportunity to discuss this in the feedback thread for those that were interested and the off topic thread set up as a result with a first post here and there explaining what goes where - it's not up for discussion or debate again here. The posts were moved, continue the talk there if you wish. Back on topic here - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

hi Axwell, can you provide a link to the Charity boxing match thread I cannot seem to find it. tks

Its mentioned in the off topic discussion thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Someone going back to 145 to take the belt back?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Someone going back to 145 to take the belt back?

He doesn't look any smaller than usual and looks a good bit bigger than he ever was at 145.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

He doesn't look any smaller than usual and looks a good bit bigger than he ever was at 145.

His cheeks do look sunk like they do during a weight cut though? He's still miles bigger than 145 Conor though.

Lads.. him posting pictures of himself isn't MMA related..

Not sure if srs. His shape could be related to what weight he might possibly return to mma at, same way his boxing match was related to his current skill level in one of the many mixed martial arts.

Don't understand what can or cant be posted in this thread anymore, even after reading 1st post. The last post before the boxing match stuff was moved is "They should have done the wwe model 9.99 a month or whatever and you get all ppvs" How is that more conor mcgregor related than him boxing? Is this just a general ufc thread now?

So funny when you look at his instagram sometimes, he posts a photo and people reply he's looking huge etc. Then a week later, hes apparently after losing weight and moving back to 145. Its just different camera angles and lighting.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,522 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've been alerted to this post and have taken the opportunity to look at your record in the forum. I've also had a word with Axwell. Based on all that and your continued low-level trolling I'm going to offer you an option:

1. A 6 month ban from the forum,; or
    2. A permanent ban from this thread

If you take option 2 please note any further trolling in the forum (low-level or otherwise) will trigger a 6 month forum ban

Please drop me a PM with your choice. In the meantime do not post in this thread again

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

A week without any posts in here? That's pretty telling

A week without any posts in here? That's pretty telling

Fear not, we're busy stitching bunting and ironing the champ champs's clothes for him.

Tell Jose we're coming...again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Amazing how quickly you become irrelevant when not active. Love to see him booked against Tony more than anyone I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Amazing how quickly you become irrelevant when not active. Love to see him booked against Tony more than anyone I think.
    Thing is Tony deserves a title fight. Khabib is the Champion and they had this stupid interim belt just to make a mess of everything.
    So right now Conor is third in line, at best, for a title shot.
    I think he needs an easier fight to build confidence before he goes up against a serious contender again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

eagle eye wrote: »
    Thing is Tony deserves a title fight. Khabib is the Champion and they had this stupid interim belt just to make a mess of everything.
    So right now Conor is third in line, at best, for a title shot.
    I think he needs an easier fight to build confidence before he goes up against a serious contender again.

Tony through his own unfortunate issues put himself down the pecking order, I'm dying to see that fight though so hopefully we do soon. Dustin deserves the shot though on merit, in the last year and a half he beat two former champs, an absolute warrior in Justin & the current FW champ. He's earned his tittle shot without a doubt ahead of both McGregor & Tony. The most logical fight is Ferguson v McGregor then winner gets the shot, but the ufc is never as straightforward as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,080 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tony turned down the interim fight. And then had himself ruled out on medical grounds. It's unfortunate as I want to see it too. But don't see any other way at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

A fight against Tony or Cowboy would be great, anything to change the tune away from promotion of that f*cking whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭robwen

Did he give any response to Cowboy calling him out for a July fight after he bet Ragin Al over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭xtal191

Prob be Tony vs Cerrone to see who is next for a title shot

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

xtal191 wrote: »
    Prob be Tony vs Cerrone to see who is next for a title shot

Or an interim, interim belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wasn't Dana spose to be meeting him 'next week's for the last 2 months? Cowboy fight would be cracking.

https://twitter.com/Maclifeofficial/status/1125857349460156416?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

If it's on the Mac Life does that mean that Conor might be arsed meeting him this time?
    Or just trying to drum up clicks?

I think Cerrone would be a good litmus test for him at this juncture. If he can pull it off, have a quick turnaround and go again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I think Cerrone would be a good litmus test for him at this juncture. If he can pull it off, have a quick turnaround and go again...

Agree it would be a good litmus test but I doubt think a quick turnaround would be likely after a Cerrone fight. Id say if hes getting by Cerrrone they will both be suitably busted up ruling out a quick turnaround.

Advertisement