Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting fixed to multi-choke

Options
  • 15-04-2019 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Anyone know of someone that can convert fixed-choke gun to multi-choke? I'd really like to get the gun Teague Chokes ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Fabian Connolly did my Remington barrel, Well happy with it, as it was a tricky enough job to do, due to the barrel wall thickness.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I'm not a 100% sure on this, but issues with deactivated guns is my train of thought.
    AFAIK you'll need the barrels reproofed after being threaded and this is were the connection to deactivated guns comes in. There are no Irish proof houses and if indeed the barrels need to be reproofed then they'll have to be sent abroad, UK etc to be proofed. Newly or updated deactivated firearms have to be certified by a recognised proof house, hence the trip to the UK.

It is or was an expensive modification even with out the cost of reproofing and if the barrel wall is not of the desirable thickness it is not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

image.jpeg
    Teague them selves do it if ya send the barrels over to them.
    Attached is their price list, it from a few years ago though

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bluezulu49

Teague current price list per their website attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Thanks for that lads.

• Advertisement

I'm not a 100% sure on this, but issues with deactivated guns is my train of thought.
    AFAIK you'll need the barrels reproofed after being threaded and this is were the connection to deactivated guns comes in. There are no Irish proof houses and if indeed the barrels need to be reproofed then they'll have to be sent abroad, UK etc to be proofed. Newly or updated deactivated firearms have to be certified by a recognised proof house, hence the trip to the UK.

It is or was an expensive modification even with out the cost of reproofing and if the barrel wall is not of the desirable thickness it is not possible.

FIK,it only applies to the UK, and others as we [1] don't have a proof house,as you said [2] Dont have any legislation to state that a gun must be in proof before it is sold, or used after work is done to it.[3] The deact situation is EU legislation, and TBH is becoming EU wide unworkable,as everyone is simply changing to selling parts kits minus the bolt , chamber and barrel,and others are providing steel blank rods that fit in to make the gun look intact [4]This only applies to if you are going to sell the Deact either privately orin the public domain.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Hey this is old but what the hell worth a read even if we don't have anymore proof houses:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1969/si/65/made/en/print

S.I. No. 65/1969 - Firearms (Shotguns) (Proofing Methods, Marks and Fees) Regulations, 1969.

Yep, another rush to legislate, but forgetting to put the necessary people[IE employ a proof master] and equipment in place to carry out this function.All came about from the plan to sell "The Fenian" shotgun from Birr in that era...As these guns were going to be all and every bit made in Ireland, they had to have some sort of guarantee that they were up to some sort of standard.:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The 1968 Firearms (Proofing) Act was repealed less than three months after it's passing which also included the SI. So with the principle act gone the secondary legislation of the SI disappeared too.

IOW no act, no legal requirement for proofing, no proofing house.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

There may be no legal requirement for 'reproofing' a firearm after it has been modified but the revised Firearms (Proofing) Act 1969, (Number 20 of 1968 FIREARMS (PROOFING) ACT 1968 REVISED Updated to 1 January 2016) recognises the use of forgein proof marks and a body, i assume, to act as a standards agent.
    I qoute-
    the Institute” means the Institute for Industrial Research and Standards;'

http://revisedacts.lawreform.ie/eli/1968/act/20/revised/en/html

• Advertisement

Not sure where you're going with this. The Act was repealed. It no longer exists.

Actually to be correct, it exists, but was never implemented. Its still on the books, but has never been enacted by any Minister.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Not going anywhere in particular, just my natural curiosity of the how's and whys of things.

Q. Do we have legislation about proofing and in particular the requirement to re-proof after modification.

A. We did, and it did mention post proofing modifications. But it was 'defunct' (lay person terms) within months of enactment.

Q. What do we have now?....surely we have to have something or otherwise our market would be flooded with cheap village workshop clones'!

A. The 1968 REVISED Updated to 1 January 2016.
    Gone is the requirement for reproofing (no more nifty diagram and confusing tables), in is the recognition of forgein proof standards and a new institute to watch over us.

Q. What happened to the 2016 update did that get ammended aswell, as I can't seem to find any more info on it.

What if any was the requirement prior to 1968, did we not have a thriving gun industry here at one stage or were they all manufactured in England and assembled / finished over here?

Not going anywhere in particular, just my natural curiosity of the how's and whys of things.
    My post above sounded a little confrontational. Not my intent.

What i meant by "where you going" was are you saying that proofing is a legal requirement in Ireland? Also are you under the impression that we have a proofing law in Ireland that requires all guns manufactured or sold to be proofed?
    Q. Do we have legislation about proofing and in particular the requirement to re-proof after modification.

A. We did, and it did mention post proofing modifications. But it was 'defunct' (lay person terms) within months of enactment.
    Correct. It was repealed within months, apparently, due to the discovered cost of building such an institute to deal with proofing. By default all SIs attached to the Act stand repealed with it.
    Q. What do we have now?....surely we have to have something or otherwise our market would be flooded with cheap village workshop clones'!

Gone is the requirement for reproofing (no more nifty diagram and confusing tables), in is the recognition of forgein proof standards and a new institute to watch over us.
    That is from the Law Reform society site? That is a revision of the Act and the disclaimer even says it (as with all revisions) may have been repealed or revoked.
    Q. What happened to the 2016 update did that get ammended aswell, as I can't seem to find any more info on it.
    As i said above that is the revision by the Law Reform society, not an update, amendment or anything else by the Government.
    What if any was the requirement prior to 1968, did we not have a thriving gun industry here at one stage or were they all manufactured in England and assembled / finished over here?
    I believe, and my history on this is not good, we had manutfacturing of firearms which was the cause to introduce such a proofing act, but as i also said above the apparent reason behind the repealing of it was the cost of setting up such a facility was only calculated AFTER the Act, and it lead to the Act being repealed.

To keep it short.

We have no proofing laws in the country. WE had for a few months, but they were repealed. Ireland recognises foreign proof marks, but has no laws to say a gunssmith building a new rifle has to mark his firearm with any sort of proof mark(s).

What does all that mean?

We can buy, sell and trade firearms with or without proof marks. If we go to sell abroad or even use them abroad where most other countries demand proof marks we have to get the firearm proofed. That requires sending it to a proofing house abroad as none exist in Ireland.

NO!

Nope..We accept either proof marks or SAMMI standards of production.I dunno,but I doubt that our resident gunsmiths are forging their own gun barrels and building lock works and actions from a solid billet of steel. There is no legislation to say you can only use prooved barrels and actions before you sell it on the market here.And even that proof legislation of back then applied to SHOTGUNS only.

Gone is the requirement for reproofing (no more nifty diagram and confusing tables), in is the recognition of foreign proof standards and a new institute to watch over us.

The old Irish Industry Standards Authority... Great bunch of lads:). Its why we had so many wonky domestic appliances,cars,pipe fittings and just about everything else "Deanta in Eireinn" back then.:P Thankfully,Europe took over on that standard testing of things and killed the Graunteed Irish campaign as well. Come across some of their approved Irish pipe fittings on plastic from back then once in awhile still...Let's just say the Monday morning production of same in China or Pakistan has precision tolerances in comparison. Shudder to think what those gun barrels would be like if they HAD approved them.:eek:
    Q. What happened to the 2016 update did that get amended as well, as I can't seem to find any more info on it.

Proably JIC legislation, on the books, but never enacted.Same as reloading amendments to the act.There, but never commenced or enacted
    Or repealed as Cass stated.

What if any was the requirement prior to 1968, did we not have a thriving gun industry here at one stage or were they all manufactured in England and assembled/finished over here?

We actually did have a thriving gun industry in Ireland, Greener, Nock, and a couple of other bespoke names of yore started in Dublin,[mostly around Capel st],as well as a few scattered around the place of regional or town gunsmiths. It came under English legislation post the act of Union.and we did have our own proof house and marks up in Dublin Castle. Post-independence /civil war it obviously wasn't a big thing, as most arms were either British or German/Continental proof, so that was covered, and interestingly enough the Irish army has never accepted or used proved small arms to Irish proof legislation.IOW if the makers have proved it in the country of origin.It's good enough for us.In contrast to most Western EU armies...

Thanks Cass and Grizz for filling in the blanks and grey areas.

I had to go back and review the role of the Law Reform Committee...... hmmmm how much of their stuff is actualy listened to or enacted?

I did come across a few journal abstracts and ref to books. I knew of the wide spread exsistence of gun smiths but was unsure as to the extent of the work / manufacturing process they were involved in. There are ancestral links in my family to silver smiths / gun smiths from Cork, from what i was told it wasn't uncommon to have the two trades linked.
    Ireland indeed had a triving gun industry with the main centres in Dublin, Cork, Waterford, but Dublin was the main area.
    For a while the quailty and standards were not only on par but also exceeded those found on main land Britian.

Advertisement