Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justice League **Spoilers from post 980 onward**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If the Man of Steel trailer is anything to go by we won't be seeing much jokes.

Thank God. I'm sick of all these terrible, trying-to-be-funny, leave your brain at the door pieces of garbage.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Nolan's Batman is going to be very difficult to beat not to mind go on par with IMO.
    I'm guessing the new Batman in JL will be decent,there will be a lot of hype and anticipation only for it to be an anti climax when the movie is released and be one of the less successful Batman releases. I could be totally wrong but just have a gut feeling it will suck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If the Man of Steel trailer is anything to go by we won't be seeing much jokes.

If Zach Snyder's previous films are anything to go by, the whole film will be a joke.

Let's hope not though. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If Zach Snyder's previous films are anything to go by, the whole film will be a joke.

Let's hope not though. :pac:

I'm hoping Nolan will be able to prevent it being too bad.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Not sure why Synder gets the bad press from. His adaptation of Watchmen is one of the best comic book movies released to date. Dawn of the Dead was a good remake and 300 was also a good adaptation. Not a fan of Sucker Punch but it did look visually amazing. I quite enjoyed the MoS trailer and have high hopes for the movie.

• Advertisement

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Not sure why Synder gets the bad press from. His adaptation of Watchmen is one of the best comic book movies released to date. Dawn of the Dead was a good remake and 300 was also a good adaptation. Not a fan of Sucker Punch but it did look visually amazing. I quite enjoyed the MoS trailer and have high hopes for the movie.

Watchmen sucked. It captured all of the visuals of the comic and none of the emotion. Dawn of the Dead sucked. Missed the point of the original and had a stupid zombie baby. 300 sucked. Less so, I'll admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I don't see how Watchmen can be said to be anything other than a success tbh. It was considered unfilmable by it's author yet 90% of the fans of the comic liked it, it's opening scene is brilliant by any standard and many, myself included, thought the altered ending was better than the graphic novel's.

300 was braindead. But it was meant to be.

Can't remember if I saw his Dawn of the Dead as tbh, all the "of the dead" movies I've seen have blended into one which, if I've seen it, would mean it was no worse than the Romero movies.

Dawn of the Dead was an excellent movie, if you take it as a standalone and remove anything to do with the original.

I think it's unfair to run Synder down for Watchmen. It's just not something that would make for a good film. There's too much in it. 300 was fun and Dawn of the Dead was just abysmal. Could be worse. We could have got Michael Bay as director.

H. H. Asquith

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dawn of the Dead was an excellent movie, if you take it as a standalone and remove anything to do with the original.

Agreed! It's tonnes of fun, just a shame they called it Dawn of the Dead. I like Watchmen and 300 too. Watchman is about as good an adaptation as there could have been, 300 was pure style over substance but it was great on the big screen for the visuals alone. Legend of the Guardians is very underrated too although it could have done with the awful montage bit in the middle which nearly derailed the whole thing.

Considering Sucker Punch is one of the worst films I've sat through in the last few years it seems Snyder should stick to adapting other people's work. His visual flair married to a good script could make for a great Superman film, it could be truly iconic and I'm hoping Nolan can reign him in a bit so he doesn't over do it on the slo mo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

John Hamm - Superman
    Nathan Fillion - Green Lantern
    Emily Deschanel - Wonder Woman
    Ryan Reynolds/Neil Patrick Harris - Flash

jpcarlow wrote: »
    Emily Deschanel - Wonder Woman

That is a great shout.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Had no idea Bones is Zooey Deshanel's sister!

She's definitley got that Lynda Carter-esque sophistication about her.

7cdc7bae4a5641a637e8512d32c4f811.jpg

Very, very good casting.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Very, very good fantasy casting.

FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Just imagine it

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE
    800802077.jpgSuperman
    20090311-nathan-fillion-290x218.jpgGreen Lantern
    emily-deschanel-hair.jpgWonder Woman
    36682L.jpgThe Flash
    9.jpgBatman

Friday afternoon must be making me giddy, I read that as "FAP."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

She dressed as tv WW in an episode. Good call.
    493302B0-BAA1-428D-9AA0-F11B69E20620-478-0000009A17710C10.jpg

F99E4F54-21B6-4287-8909-C13DF735810F-478-0000009A3DFFFC88.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Reports today say that levitt will be playing batman in the justice league movie and a rumoured cameo in the upcoming man of steel. I for one would be pleased if they are true

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

ricero wrote: »
    Reports today say that levitt will be playing batman in the justice league movie and a rumoured cameo in the upcoming man of steel. I for one would be pleased if they are true

He's nowhere near big enough to play Batman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Liam O wrote: »

He's nowhere near big enough to play Batman.
    Nothing a bit of steroids cant fix ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I always thought that the big selling point with the Justice League was the dynamic between the two big guns, you know, Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne. John Blake and Clark Kent, in comparison, doesn't sound all that enticing to me, and that's a comic book fan talking...so you can only guess the indifference the general audience would have towards it.

I'm 90% sure this isn't true anyway but in the small chance that it is, it'd have to go down as the biggest misfire WB could possibly make in regards to this potential franchise. Not only in terms of hurting the JL franchise, but also a Batman reboot.

I always thought that the big thing about the Justice League was the dynamic between the two big guns, you know, Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne. John Blake and Clark Kent, in comparison, doesn't sound all that enticing to me, and that's a comic book fan talking...so you can only guess the indifference the general audience would have towards it.

I'm 90% sure this isn't true anyway but in the small chance that it is, it'd have to go down as the biggest misfire WB could possibly make in regards to this potential franchise. Not only in terms of hurting the JL franchise, but also a Batman reboot.

Agreed, not a chance will they launch a whole new Batman film franchise with John Blake as Batman. JL wouldn't be JL without Bruce and Clark's friendship either, for a JL movie to be a success Bats and Supes will have to take centre stage and it won't work if it's not Bruce under the cowl imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    alexandra daddario

93d4c891.jpg

384f0e71.jpg

401065fa.jpg

297b70dd.jpg

b9aa6d8c.jpg

Alexandra Daddario certainly has the look although not six foot. But with SFX it wouldn't be a problem.
    Was she just in "Its always Sunny in Philadelphia" sexy piece of gear.

Back on topic,I for one like affleck,He was good in "Boiler Room" and daredevil gets alot of abuse.
    I think people just hate him because its the cool thing to do.Seriously there are alot of other actors I hate than ben affleck.

Can someone point me in the direction to the I hate Paul Walker thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I don't think a Justice League idea is a good idea.

If it all goes badly wrong, its going to end up watering down established characters and franchises, most notably Superman and Batman.

Think Alien & Predator. Bad idea all round!

As for Affleck directing, he's a good director when sticking to his genre and from what I see so far that's not fantasy and superheroes.

FlashD wrote: »
    I
    Think Alien & Predator. Bad idea all round!

While your point is valid (unless they do movies for everyone this is going to be a superman/batman movie rather than a proper ensemble) the comparison with AvP is way off. JLA is a well established series in it's own right with some brilliant story archs, any one of which could make a great film, and have done in animated form already in some cases.

AvP films were shameless cash-ins which showed no respect for either of the series they were supposed to be bringing together, particularly the alien franchise. I liked one or two of the comics I suppose, at least they were set in the actual universe of the films but imho JLA and AvP are chalk and cheese.

I suppose if it all goes wrong like you said, then it could be horrendoues, but I reckon they will put a lot of effort into getting it right. This will be a tent pole for WB where as the studios for AvP obviously only saw AvP as B-movie fodder.

I'm guessing WB saw how well The Avengers did at the box office so hopefully this'll get the respect it deserves.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, I'm sure it'll make lots of money in the box-office, but as a concept it seems quite badly thought out. Say what you will about Marvel, they had a plan all along and deliberately built up to the Avengers, using the solo movies as elongated prologues, acclimatising the audience to the various characters. Those multi-movie contracts in particular were a stroke of genius (Hulk notwithstanding) and it ultimately made Wheadon's job relatively easy; the backstories were done, we knew how the relationships fitted together & so it all felt quite natural. Even the most casual of cinemagoers knew who these superheroes were, directly or indirectly; despite the fact (in effect) we were watching the 6th film in the franchise. You couldn't say that about the Harry Potter films, for instance.

On the other hand, the JL universe is a mess. At the moment there's only Superman confirmed, with the Batman films of course operating within its own mythology / universe. Ditto the Green Lantern: the rest of the JL crew are MIA. So arguably DC should have gone with their own set of solo/prologue films, to break in the less popular characters & the new Batman. Give the audience time to familiarise themselves with Wonder Woman, The Martian Manhunter, but especially the new Batman. Instead they're galloping towards a 2015 straight off the bat - which means the JL movie will have to cram in all the characters' backstories & relationships on-top of its (likely) convoluted setup & need for splashy set-pieces. I can't see how this won't be a mess.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I dunno, I'm sure it'll make lots of money in the box-office, but as a concept it seems quite badly thought out. Say what you will about Marvel, they had a plan all along and deliberately built up to the Avengers, using the solo movies as elongated prologues, acclimatising the audience to the various characters. Those multi-movie contracts in particular were a stroke of genius (Hulk notwithstanding) and it ultimately made Wheadon's job relatively easy; the backstories were done, we knew how the relationships fitted together & so it all felt quite natural. Even the most casual of cinemagoers knew who these superheroes were, directly or indirectly; despite the fact (in effect) we were watching the 6th film in the franchise. You couldn't say that about the Harry Potter films, for instance.

On the other hand, the JL universe is a mess. At the moment there's only Superman confirmed, with the Batman films of course operating within its own mythology / universe. Ditto the Green Lantern: the rest of the JL crew are MIA. So arguably DC should have gone with their own set of solo/prologue films, to break in the less popular characters & the new Batman. Give the audience time to familiarise themselves with Wonder Woman, The Martian Manhunter, but especially the new Batman. Instead they're galloping towards a 2015 straight off the bat - which means the JL movie will have to cram in all the characters' backstories & relationships on-top of its (likely) convoluted setup & need for splashy set-pieces. I can't see how this won't be a mess.

I agree they should have followed the Marvel model. Would be better off rebooting Batman first, tie him in with man of steel then do Flash, Wonder Woman and MM in their own movies. No need to reboot GL even if the film was poor. Since they're not doing that they should just have a bit of faith in the audience and forget about fitting all the origins in, just act like everything is established alreadly. arguably most of the JL characters are more recogniseable to the average joe than The Avengers were before the films came out anyway, so I think they could do that if they want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Read this yesterday...my question is: Will JGL be the same character is he was in the last Batman film in Nolan's universe? Or is it just a coincidence that he was taking over the Batman role from Bruce Wayne..

Its obvious though that DC are taking the same approach as Marvel did for the hugely successful Avengers

Looking forward to Man of Steel...seeing Batman slipped in at the very end would be very exciting!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/nov/27/joseph-gordon-levitt-batman-justice-league

Joseph Gordon-Levitt could be set to play Batman in the latest high-profile superhero ensemble film, Justice League, a prominent US blogger has revealed.

Drew McWeeny of Hit Flix quotes sources who say Gordon-Levitt will "absolutely" appear as the caped crusader, alongside Superman and Wonder Woman, in the DC Comics adaptation. He also suggests Batman could show up in Man of Steel, Warner Brothers' forthcoming Zack Snyder-directed Superman reboot, possibly in a post credits sequence.

"They're a long way from filming anything Justice League related, but [Warner] appear to be solidifying deals for Gordon-Levitt and, potentially, at least one other actor from the Nolan films to do … something," writes McWeeny. "So let's take what we know and speculate a little bit. How crazy do you think fans would go if Superman were to take to the skies at the end of Man of Steel, finally ready to fully accept his role as mankind's most powerful protector, only to have the closing credits interrupted when something catches his attention and he swoops down out of that sky, landing on a rooftop where Jim Gordon stands next to the Bat-Signal, interrupting just as the new Batman arrives for a chat about Gotham's latest problem?"

The report has resonance because Gordon-Levitt's Gotham police officer John Blake was revealed to be Batman's sidekick Robin at the end of Warner's recent conclusion to its Batman trilogy, The Dark Knight Rises. With Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne either dead or stepping away from the cowl and cape at the end of that film, there has been speculation that Blake could step into his shoes.
    Hit Flix's report follows comments by Snyder in an interview with the New York Post at the weekend, during which he hinted that his 2013 film would be used to "set up" Justice League, with Henry Cavill potentially appearing as Superman in both films. Warner Bros has previously confirmed the latter movie will arrive in cinemas in 2015. There are increasing indications that the studio is looking to use Man of Steel as a launchpad for a series of linked movies set in the DC Comics universe, just as Disney's Marvel Studios did with its selection of films (beginning with 2008's Iron Man) that set up this year's $1.5bn blockbuster The Avengers.

Asked if he and Warner had discussed integrating Man of Steel into a larger superhero universe, Snyder told the Post: "Um, how can I answer that? I can't really say anything to that, because that's a big spoiler. I will say, yeah, they trust me to keep them on course."
    Man of Steel, which stars British actor Henry Cavill as Superman with Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Russell Crowe as Jor-El and Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent, is due in cinemas in June next year. Production is being "godfathered" by The Dark Knight Rises' Christopher Nolan, increasing speculation of a tie-in.

Advertisement