Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough Cost of Shipping 20ft Container from China to Dublin??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Thanks Rudolph,your input is much appreciated on this matter .

• Registered Users Posts: 1 UnRealMadrid

Hey... Sorry for posting this on an old thread..

Just looking for some guidance as this is my first time buying and shipping anything on this scale, basically I received a quote of $1600 from a supplier in Dezhou City, Shandong province.

This quote is for a 20 ft container with items weighing around 1100kg delivered to Dublin Port.

Does this sound right, or is it a bit much?

Also how do the customs determine how much Import Tax/VAT to pay?

Any help is much appreciated...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mackermac

RUDOLF289 wrote: »
    Hello Blobert,

I am a freight forwarder and can answer your questions as follows ;

1) Oceanfreight. Depending on the port(s) you intend to ship from, freight cost for a 20'
    container is as follows ;

Shanghai or Dalian or Qingdao or Ningbo Tjianjin or Xingang or Shenzhen - Dublin
    = Us$ 800.00
    Hong Kong would us$ 50.00 less.
    These rates are inclusive of fuel surcharge (BAF) and Currency adjustment factor
    (CAF) and would be valid untill 30JUN09. Currently lines in the Far East to Europe
    Trade are indicating increases of between Us$ 300 and Us$ 400 per container. They
    are unlikely to get the full amount of the proposed increases but since rates are
    rock bottom, they are likely to get some class of an increase. Lines are also
    indicating they intend to implement a peak season surcharge from 01AUG09.

2) Local charges on arrival in Ireland

THC = Euro 130
    ISPS = Euro 14.00
    Agency fee = Euro 68
    Delivery to Dublin City / County Euro 200
    Customs Clearance Euro 55.00
    On average you have 5 days after arrival in Ireland to clear the shipment and take
    delivery of the shipment before the lines start charging storage and quay rent.

3) The maximum permitted weight in a container is roughly 26 tonnes. From aprox 21
    tonnes weight the lines are likely to levy a surcharge. It various from shipping line to
    shipping line.

Please see attach a document which gives some guidance on imports and exports.

Hello Dabko,

can you please specify the port you intend to ship from and I will see what the fastest options are.

Hello Onedmc

You obviously have had some bad experience(s). Drop me a PM with details of where you are buying from and I will issue a fixed quote with full transparency.

Hello Mickk

If you drop me a PM with the details of your shipment(s) I would be happy to give you a second opinion.

Hello Darc,

If you are paying that type of money, you either haven't shipped for a while or there may be another reason why you are being charged that much. If you drop me a PM, with details I would be happy to review it for you and get you a comparison.

If anybody has any questions in relation to shipping or customs I would be happy to offer advice.

Hi there,

Can you give me a price for FOB 20ft from Ningbo to Cork and then 45 miles to location inclusive of all charges excluding vat/duty. I need the container by end of august. Its non hazardous and will be ready by end of this week beginning of next.

Regards

Ger

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hello Mackermac,

Have sent you a PM

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gt spud

I know this is an old post but just seeing if u can help im looking to get some car parts from japan the likes of a bumper seats front an back an a set of clocks an side skirts who would be the best for this an best price..

• Advertisement

gt spud wrote: »
    I know this is an old post but just seeing if u can help im looking to get some car parts from japan the likes of a bumper seats front an back an a set of clocks an side skirts who would be the best for this an best price..

Hello gt spud,

If you send me a PM with the following information, I will be happy to source rates / service for you.

1) Terms of shipment (e.g. Ex Work or Free On Board - FOB)
    2) Port of shipment in Japan
    3) Place of delivery in Ireland
    4) Packed dimenisons, e.g. Length x Width x Height per piece
    5) Packed / Gross weight.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AaronMcDrew

Hi guys,

Just want to say thanks to boards and all you especially Rudolf,

First time sending a big shipment from China and nearly got charged over a 1000$ mark up on charges

from 273 to 1285 so lucky I found this thread.
    the OF was 368 compared to 400

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nem12tom

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a FLC from China to Ireland (to Galway).
    How and where should I start?
    Which companies are the best to get quotations (with no hidden costs later on)?
    If I buy from different Companies in Chine (with FOB parity) how my Container will be filled and how I could arrange this? Should I contact the manufacturers to ship everything in a certain time period or there is a certain storage space somewhere?

Thanks for the advices in advance. This is the first time when I use Container shipping.

Thx
    Tom

nem12tom wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I am looking for a FLC from China to Ireland (to Galway).
    How and where should I start?
    Which companies are the best to get quotations (with no hidden costs later on)?
    If I buy from different Companies in Chine (with FOB parity) how my Container will be filled and how I could arrange this? Should I contact the manufacturers to ship everything in a certain time period or there is a certain storage space somewhere?

Thanks for the advices in advance. This is the first time when I use Container shipping.

Thx
    Tom

Hello Tom,

In order to asses what would be the best possible solution, this is the information required ;

1. Details of the suppliers, e.g. location
    2. Per supplier nr of cartons, weights and dimensions
    3. Commodities
    4. Values
    5. Cargo ready date

It really depends on the location of your suppliers v.v. the nearest shipping port and when each shipment would be ready. It would be possible to combine freight in the Ningbo area with freight in the Shanghai area. However, if one supplier is based in Qingdao and another in Shenzhen, trying to combine that freight would be very expensive as inland transportation in China is heavily regulated.

If you send me a PM with the above details I will be able to assist you in getting rates for you.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 1 engineer_nat

hello
    i am interested to buy three tonn of used shoes from china and wondering if someone would like to ship something from china to dublin we can bring it both together in one containter
    20ft
    my stuffs will takes space of 12 meter cupic while the 20ft container have space around meter cupic so u got a space of 22 meter cupic
    so we can share the shpment together
    and would like to know
    i should visit the avenu for tax before i recive the shipment here in ireland or after i got the stuffs
    guys its my first try for me
    so little bit zero experience of this of whole stuffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Clonjess

Hello Mackermac,

Have sent you a PM

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Hi Rudolf289,
    Old thread i know but I'm moving back from China and would love any details you could give me on container charges or point me in the right direction on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Seany Cee

darc wrote: »
    Currently you are looking at about €2,300 for a 40ft from port in china delivered to address in leinster.

For a 20ft I'd guess it would come in about €1800 - €2,000.

If what you have coming in is less than a 20ft container, try a part load - I have 6 pallets coming in fron guangzhou and the freight is $450 + local delivery & customs charges - probably €600 in total.

About 2 years ago, all above costs would have been almost double!! - Recessions can have some positives!

Can you give the name of the shipping company you used ?

Seany Cee wrote: »
    Can you give the name of the shipping company you used ?

I have sent you a PM.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Topetake

Has anyone got up to date rough cost of getting a full load container 20 ft or 40ft from China to Dublin please.

I know costs have gone up since the last post on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Topetake wrote: »
    Has anyone got up to date rough cost of getting a full load container 20 ft or 40ft from China to Dublin please.

I know costs have gone up since the last post on this thread.

Got quoted €8,500 for a 40ft from China about 3 weeks ago. This time last year it was €2,500.

Scotty # wrote: »
    Got quoted €8,500 for a 40ft from China about 3 weeks ago. This time last year it was €2,500.

Hi Scotty

Thanks for that I know they have gone up but that is a crazy amount. Was that including your port fees insurance ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Topetake wrote: »
    Hi Scotty

Thanks for that I know they have gone up but that is a crazy amount. Was that including your port fees insurance ect.
    Yea that's including fees.

In the UK they are being quoted upto €13,000 as there is a surcharge being charged due to holdups in the English Channel.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/dec/09/cost-shipping-goods-uk-covid-pandemic

Scotty # wrote: »
    Yea that's including fees.

In the UK they are being quoted upto €13,000 as there is a surcharge being charged due to holdups in the English Channel.

I actually just got onto MSC here in Dublin and was quote roughly €8900 for a 40ft.

Thats crazy prices both here and especially in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fran_AZNEU

Check this one out, https://ship.freightos.com/ Consider that other charges may be involved like VAT, tariffs, etc

Mod Edit: No advertising/self promotion allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭FaaF

I see Freighos are quoting $12,527 for a 40ft from Nantong to Cork right now. This compares to $14,583 for shipping to Belfast.

It's ridiculous that it's approaching 10 times the cost prior to the current crisis. I'm starting to see prices feed through to Amazon pricing and am seeing quite a few reviews where consumers, not realizing the issues faced by retailers, are complaining about retailers of fitness equipment price gouging and taking advantage of the current crisis.

Unfortunately, for a lot of businesses, they're going to either remain out of stock until some unknown date in the future where prices normalize - or they're going to have a tough time explaining to customers the real reason behind the significant price increase.

On another note, do any freight forwarders here know whether it's an option to ship to Cork/Dublin for a Northern Ireland based business and transport by road across the border? Presumably, there are some additional requirements in relation to VAT and import duty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

These freight prices (and its worldwide, not just UK & Ireland) are going to feed into retail prices very quickly. Already I'm seeing packaging companies here and UK implement large across the board price increases. Zeus, one of the largest packaging supply companies in Europe and based in Rathcoole have put a 12.75% across the board price increase. A UK company we deal with has an 18% increase and this is just the start.

Any bulky items (think toys, bulky household goods & furniture in particular) will see fairly dramatic price increases this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

I was quoted USD12k from China to Dublin yesterday for a standard 40ft. Proce expected to fall after Chinese New Year but will remain expensive compare to prices 6+ months back.

I've also heard that some services have been moved from European routes to serve China - US. Higher demands, shorted trans pacific transit time and better prices are all a factor.

I see they've rose further again. Crazy, crazy stuff.

We're well beyond the point where retailers can absorb the costs via reduced margins. The cost of imported goods are about to go mental.

To all suffering importers. Container shipping prices are beginning to soften. It is too early to tell if this trend will continue as we are now approaching Chinese New Year. However, we are well inside Us$ 9500 per 40' and about half that for 20' containers. In certain cases we achieve better rates than that

The challenge is still that there is a large shortage of equipment in China. That creates significant upward price pressures. It is too simplistic to blame it all on greedy shipping lines. They do face higher operating costs as a result of containers not coming back to the Far East quick enough in significant numbers. What certainly does not help is that for instance there are currently over 30 (very large) container ships waiting to dock at Los Angeles/Long Beach. Some are there nearly two weeks. Also, the UK is still a no go area due to significant port congestion in Felixstowe and Southampton.

Looking at all the indicators it is likely to be well into the 2nd quarter before we will see any significant improvement. In the meantime keep checking the market, speak to Irish based forwarders and there may be opportunities to safe some money.

For instance, shipping lines will offer discounts for using Non Operating Refrigerated containers (socalled NOR's). Granted the cubic capacity is a little less than ordinary equipment, but if you don't have a full, full container it may be worth considering. It handles the same as a normal container, but not all cargoes are suitable/acceptable to the line. Difference could be Us$ 500 to Us$ 700 per container.

Hopefully this is some food for thought and an indication that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I'll just say that RUDOLF289 is a very good shipping agent - he's been around many years and will tell it to you straight and knows how to circumvent issues that arise.

Fingers crossed that the coming few weeks will paint a rosier picture. There's not much movement just yet on freighos quotes - though I imagine freightos rates may be slower to come down versus using a forwarder.

FaaF wrote: »
    Fingers crossed that the coming few weeks will paint a rosier picture. There's not much movement just yet on freighos quotes - though I imagine freightos rates may be slower to come down versus using a forwarder.

We are seeing some movements on rates from certain ports down to around Us$ 6500 per 40' container to Dublin and Cork. But it is very challenging to secures space and equipment.

We are seeing some movements on rates from certain ports down to around Us$ 6500 per 40' container to Dublin and Cork. But it is very challenging to secures space and equipment.

Here's hoping the trend continues. I've set up a new business and my first shipment is expected next month. Between two shipments being manufactured, I'll be expecting four 20ft and one 40ft containers (my business is primarily heavy weight stuff, hence the 20ft versus 40ft).

I've sent you an email so would be grateful if you could get back to me when you get a chance.

So do we think this Suez Canal problem is going to have any major impact on shipping rates?

• Advertisement

FaaF wrote: »
    So do we think this Suez Canal problem is going to have any major impact on shipping rates?

I reckon it depends on how quickly this gets solved. If they can get the vessel moving quickly, like in the next couple of days, then probably not.

However, if, as some commentators are suggesting, this could take several weeks, yes, freight rates will shoot up. It takes at least 7 to 10 days longer to go around South Africa. Fuel prices will go up, so we will see significant increases on top of current already inflated prices.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement