Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

^^^ Twitter and youtube banned Steve Bannon yesterday after he called for Dr Fauci and the director of the FBI to be executed and their heads impaled on stakes.

https://twitter.com/peltzmadeline/status/1324471538310127618

And in Irish news, Declan Ganley is taking a case to the High Court to overturn the ban on religious worship, or presumably, catholic mass anyway:

https://www.irishcatholic.com/breaking-news-court-challenge-to-ban-on-public-mass/
    Irish entrepreneur Declan Ganley has begun a constitutional challenge to the ban on attending Mass and other religious ceremonies.

Co. Galway-based Mr Ganley, who has been a vocal critic on social media of the ban on Mass, initiated judicial review proceedings against Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly and the State on Thursday and the matter was mentioned in court this morning (Friday). The Irish Catholic understands that the court postponed the matter until next month.

It comes as Primate of All-Ireland Archbishop Eamon Martin used a column in The Irish Catholicto urge Catholics to write to their elected representatives calling for restrictions on Masses and other religious ceremonies to be eased. Archbishop Eamon said that “In making the case for public worship at all stages of lockdown we are not claiming special privilege over other places – like gyms, restaurants or sports. We are simply stating the fact that, for Christians, gathering to worship God is not an optional extra – it is a profound expression of who we are as individual spiritual beings and as Church. The communal celebration of Mass and the sacraments is an essential source of nourishment and well-being which is not only positive for individuals, but is also healthy for community resilience and for social cohesion,” the archbishop wrote.

Mr Ganley’s legal time is expected to argue before the High Court that the State’s Covid-19 restrictions preventing public worship is unconstitutional since Bunreacht na hÉireann enshrines the right to worship as a key part of religious freedom.

North of the border, the authorities have not prevented people from attending Mass and other religious ceremonies. The restrictions in the Republic are amongst the most draconian in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don’t agree with the religious on this, but I can se why they’re so eager to fight it.

In the past, if this shutdown happened and if there were a list of things to be exempted from the shutdown, religion would be at the top of the list as a reflection of how important things are to the country. Right now we have schools and important community things like sports events, but no mass. Can’t blame them for seeing it for what it is... religion having lost its place among the most important events and institutions in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I see a rush in tinfoil stocks and shares ahead

China has successfully launched the world's first 6G satellite into space to test the technology.
    It went into orbit along with 12 other satellites from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in the Shanxi Province.
    High-speed technology will be trialled, which will be one of the core elements of sixth-generation communications.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=115173753

• Registered Users Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Any update on Declan Ganley's brave stand against the ebil church-oppressing regime?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

The Irish Times describes Mr Waters as a "civil rights activist" in an article on a court case concerning Andrew Heasman who got onto a bus in Ballyhaunis without wearing a mask and then proceeded to fail the attitude test, with knobs on, when the police showed up:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/two-months-in-jail-for-man-wearing-mask-on-head-like-a-hat-1.4439903

Mr Waters acted in court as a McKenzie friend to Mr Heasman, who was subsequently jailed for two months.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

robindch wrote: »

Mr Waters acted in court as a McKenzie friend to Mr Heasman, who was subsequently jailed for two months.

With friends like that....

At what point does this go from taking the p1ss out of a clown, to stigmatising the mentally ill.

No diagnosis is public but, going by his recent behaviour over he last few years, I have to think he’s not right in the head.

Was he always like this or has he always been this much of a nob?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

At what point does this go from taking the p1ss out of a clown, to stigmatising the mentally ill.

Its one of the reasons I feel bad for GemmaO'D, in that she clearly had a mental break, clearly was groomed by a group of people and may never return mentally to normality. In a way, we as a society failed her. JW I do not, I think he knows what he is at, and while it makes him creepy and appear mentally deficient, I think he should be locked up for abuse and predatory behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No diagnosis is public but, going by his recent behaviour over he last few years, I have to think he’s not right in the head.

Was he always like this or has he always been this much of a nob?

Waters was always a nob.

• Advertisement

Waters was always a nob.

Fair enough. I never paid much attention to him when I was young, but I had the impression he was a reasonably well regarded thinker. I gather his ideas might have been more interesting 20 years ago then they are now and he has had to become more and more outrageous to stay some way relevant.

Sad to see a person do that to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

He was always some people's idea of what an intellectual sounded like but I think he simply can't cope with being challenged in any way and social media has shown him up for what he really is. He couldn't handle a soft ball interview with Eamon Dunphy during the repeal campaign.

lazygal wrote: »
    He was always some people's idea of what an intellectual sounded like but I think he simply can't cope with being challenged in any way and social media has shown him up for what he really is. He couldn't handle a soft ball interview with Eamon Dunphy during the repeal campaign.
    That was comical. It was a sympathetic interview but he still couldn’t handle it that he wasn’t able to preach.

https://youtu.be/wjt1FYIXi5E

That was comical. It was a sympathy interview but he still couldn’t handle it.

And it kicked off because he didn't want to be corrected on his mistake of saying the morning after rather than abortion pill. Absolutely pathetic storm out.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    With friends like that....
    Very hard to feel sorry for Mr Heasman, though one suspects he may refer to himself as Andrew of the Family "Heasman".

Ms O'Doherty and Mr Waters have just had another case dismissed. Any more failures and they'll be eligible to receive set of six wine glasses and the Blankety Blank checkbook and pen which they're going to need in order to pay costs which were awarded against them.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/court-rejects-challenge-by-waters-and-o-doherty-to-covid-laws-1.4499018
    John Waters and Gemma O’Doherty’s appeal against a refusal to permit them to challenge the constitutionality of laws introduced in response to the Covid-19 pandemic has been dismissed.

They had appealed the High Court’s refusal to permit them to bring their challenge and its award of costs of that hearing against them. [...]

Some of their submissions to their appalling and offensive, counsel said. Counsel said they have made many wild and general assertions, which he said were not supported by any reports or evidence.

Counsel adding that some of the applicant’s submissions was “Bermuda Triangle stuff.”

The (unapproved) text of that judgement is here and justice Birmingham does deliver a good bollocking:

The applicants have chosen rhetoric over substance and fiction and distortion over fact.

https://www.courts.ie/acc/alfresco/d5dcbbdd-b4b8-480d-959f-5c94d094d2d6/2021_IECA_59%20(Unapproved).pdf/pdf?
    while the requirement to establish an arguable case is a low threshold, it is not a non-existent threshold. [...] ; it is, in one sense, arguable that the earth is flat, but it seems to me that to meet the arguability threshold [...] the argument must, as a minimum, be based on reason and common sense, and not such that it can be fairly and noncontroversially be categorised as absurd and nonsensical.

It must be said that their submissions, both written and oral, are quite tendentious. [...] To put it at its mildest, there is a tendency on the part of the applicants to present, as unchallenged fact, what is keenly in dispute. One is reminded of comments in another context of the existence of “alternate facts”.

I should say, in clear and unequivocal terms, that I regard these proceedings as misconceived and as being entirely without merit. The arguments advanced might have a certain appeal if addressed to a flag-waving assembly outside the Customs House, but have no purchase when addressed to a Court of Law.

I do not exclude the possibility that it might be possible to formulate a serious challenge to one or other of the measures taken on some constitutional grounds, but what I am absolutely clear about is that the applicants have not done that. Both in this court and in the High Court, the applicants have made assertions in trenchant terms. I do not doubt that the views expressed are sincerely held, implausible, and indeed, eccentric, as many of them might appear to be, but the fact that individual citizens disagree with government policy and legislation enacted by the Oireachtas, does not provide a basis for a constitutional challenge. Bald assertions do not morph into anything more than that merely because the assertions are couched in strong, or indeed, extravagant language.

I am quite satisfied that the attempts to persuade a court to interfere with the internal procedures of the Oireachtas, as the applicants seek to do, must fail.

It must be noted that the reasonable bystander from whose perspective the matter is judged, is just that; a reasonable bystander, not a devotee of conspiracy theories. I cannot believe that any reasonable bystander would be concerned. [...] So far as the applicants now seek to draw support for their concerns from the judge’s conduct and demeanour during the trial, such criticisms formed no part of the appeal and do not impress. Indeed, I am bound to say that the raising of this issue at this stage and in this manner smacks of desperation.

[...] these proceedings have singularly failed to raise issues of substance. The applicants have chosen rhetoric over
    substance and fiction and distortion over fact. In my view, they have singularly failed to meet the threshold of establishing an arguable case. I am quite satisfied that the approach in the High Court was the correct one and that this is an appeal that should be dismissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The Court of Appeal has ruled that John Waters and Gemma O'Doherty must pay the legal costs of their failed appeal against a refusal to permit them to challenge the constitutionality of laws introduced in response to Covid-19.
    In March the court ruled that their appeal against the High Court's decision not to grant them leave to bring their action should be dismissed on the basis it was "misconceived and entirely without merit."
    https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2021/0430/1213064-legal-costs/

https://twitter.com/fergalrte/status/1388104105818787845

That should soften their cough a bit.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

And their 'GoFundMe' campaign starts in 3, 2, 1....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah sure waters can pay it with the money he got from RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Probably praying that somebody in RTE defames him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

I think he got 40K from that, where will he get the balance?

Mr Waters, who is not a racist, appears in a video with Ms O'Doherty who is also not a racist. Mr Pye, who is also not a racist, says nothing.

https://twitter.com/aciquestion/status/1402918524021059584

Mr Waters, who is not a racist, appears in a video with Ms O'Doherty who is also not a racist. Mr Pye, who is also not a racist, says nothing.

https://twitter.com/aciquestion/status/1402918524021059584

That's actually very sad to see. It's low level trolling from a man who used to be considered a "thinker" in Irish society.

"On the buses" sounds like a phrase from racists in England talking about the Windrush generation.

They're probably just looking to be accused of being racist so they can claim to be the victims of something or other. Very sad to see, they're not well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

That's actually very sad to see. It's low level trolling from a man who used to be considered a "thinker" in Irish society.

"On the buses" sounds like a phrase from racists in England talking about the Windrush generation.

They're just looking to be accused of racist so they can claim to be the victims of something or other. Very sad to see, they're not well.

Yes, sad and you're right the Waters of the 1980s and 1990s would never have come out with something like that.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Yes, sad and you're right the Waters of the 1980s and 1990s would never have come out with something like that.
    I doubt this is true.
    A lot of people are 'not racist,but' types. He has held offensive views for years, maybe he just got worse at hiding them or his newspaper and book editors edited that sort of stuff out.

Waters (a bit like Mary Kenny - I refer to her opinions on feminism/RCC) has become the embodiment of everything that he once professed to detest.

Life ain't always empty.

Well Mary Kenny has denied there were no blacks, no dogs, no Irish signs in London, and claimed that the most popular name in France is Muhammad and that white Europeans aren't having enough babies so we all can read what we want into her views.

• Advertisement

Well I didn't mean to say that she was definitively not a racist, just that I was not accusing her of being one :)

Interestingly, nobody has ever been able to produce a single authentic photo of a "no blacks, no dogs, no Irish" sign which is rather strange don't you think?

The example which is used in articles etc. is always the same one and a very obvious decades later fake.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement