Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Apparently JW has been banned from the tweet machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Odhinn

lazygal wrote: »
    Apparently JW has been banned from the tweet machine.

Apparently so. Any idea what he came out with to get a ban?

https://twitter.com/RealJohnWaters

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Odhinn wrote: »
    Apparently so. Any idea what he came out with to get a ban?

https://twitter.com/RealJohnWaters

apparently G'OD was using his account to tweet or something like that. somebody posted a screenshot either on this thread or on Gemmas own thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

apparently G'OD was using his account to tweet or something like that.
    Without wishing to whitewash an entire political movement/rabble, it does need to be said that Ireland's far-right is peculiarly incompetent, if not downright stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

robindch wrote: »
    Without wishing to whitewash an entire political movement/rabble, it does need to be said that Ireland's far-right is peculiarly incompetent, if not downright stupid.

Oh come on. Famous notable success John Mcguirk ran a stonking campaign for the anti choice side, it was just that the Irish people didn't recognise the brilliance of his strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

He was very successful at getting the vote out, just not for the side which was paying him...

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

Twitter has also closed GO'D's "Anti-Corruption Ireland" account:

https://twitter.com/anticorruptire

Oops.

Buh buh FreE sPeeCh1!!1!1!!!

robindch wrote: »

Joking aside - it's only a matter of time before they get their act together. There is plenty of money flowing around, and plenty behind the scenes willing to pull strings. They just need the right puppet.

Gone off twitter, gone off youtube and her facebook hasn't had content posted in 6 months or so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

They just need the right muppet.

FYP:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Joking aside - it's only a matter of time before they get their act together. There is plenty of money flowing around, and plenty behind the scenes willing to pull strings. They just need the right puppet.
    "Plenty of money" does not guarantee either competence or intelligence.

Exhibit A: Donald Trump.

He got elected though didn't he? Competence and intelligence not a requirement.

He got elected though didn't he? Competence and intelligence not a requirement.
    They're not a requirement for getting elected, plainly.

But they are, to some extent, a requirement for making effective use of the position you have been elected to. Trump has been very annoying, but largely useless. He has inflicted much short-term damage but has acheived comparatively little and (God willing!) much of what he did acheive can be reversed in the next four years. A competent, intelligent Trump would be a much, much greater danger to the republic than actual Trump.

And Trumps funders, I'd argue, although rich, were equally lacking in what they needed to effect real change. Exhibit A: they backed Donald Trump. You do not want to be relying on Trump to deliver your project for you.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    They're not a requirement for getting elected, plainly.

But they are, to some extent, a requirement for making effective use of the position you have been elected to. Trump has been very annoying, but largely useless. He has inflicted much short-term damage but has acheived comparatively little and (God willing!) much of what he did acheive can be reversed in the next four years. A competent, intelligent Trump would be a much, much greater danger to the republic than actual Trump.

And Trumps funders, I'd argue, although rich, were equally lacking in what they needed to effect real change. Exhibit A: they backed Donald Trump. You do not want to be relying on Trump to deliver your project for you.

for the most part that is correct. he does appear to have done something for his evangelical supporters when it comes to israel. isn't moving the capital back to jerusalem one of the preconditions for the return of Christ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

(God willing!) much of what he did acheive can be reversed in the next four years.
    i hope you're right. but there's been a massive brain drain in many american institutions and i suspect his legacy will be long term damage to trust in public institutions and polarisation of public opinion.

for the most part that is correct. he does appear to have done something for his evangelical supporters when it comes to israel. isn't moving the capital back to jerusalem one of the preconditions for the return of Christ?
    No, not even among the loonier evangelicals.

There are millenials who think that the restoration of the Temple is a precursor to the End Times, and I suppose they might think that proclaiming Jerusalem as the capital of Israel is something that makes the eventual restoration of the Temple fractionally less improbable than it currently is. But you'd be drawing a very long bow there.

Besides, Trump didn't move the capital of Israel to Jerusalem. How could he? Whoever gets to decide what the capital of the State of Israel will be, it's not the President of the United States.

Jerusalem was declared to be the capital of Israel by the Knesset way back in 1980. Most other countries, then and now, did not recognise this, and maintain their embassies in the old capital of Tel Aviv. Diplomatic staff travel to Jerusalem as required. (It's about an hour's drive.) Most countries take the view that the status of Jerusalem cannot be resolved apart from the resolution of wider questions, and cannot be resolved unilaterally.

What Trump did was to recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel in 2017, and to direct that the US embassy should be relocated to Jerusalem (which happened in 2018). Only one other country - Guatemala - followed suit. All the other embassies in Israel remain in Tel Aviv, so Trump's move hasn't exactly opened the floodgates.

i hope you're right. but there's been a massive brain drain in many american institutions and i suspect his legacy will be long term damage to trust in public institutions and polarisation of public opinion.
    This. Plus there's a whole wodge of judicial appointments that can't be reversed. Plus lasting damage to the reputation and credibility of the US - if the likes of Trump can become president once, who can be confident that such a thing couldn't happen again?

No, not even among the loonier evangelicals.

There are millenials who think that the restoration of the Temple is a precursor to the End Times, and I suppose they might think that proclaiming Jerusalem as the capital of Israel is something that makes the eventual restoration of the Temple fractionally less improbable than it currently is. But you'd be drawing a very long bow there.

Besides, Trump didn't move the capital of Israel to Jerusalem. How could he? Whoever gets to decide what the capital of the State of Israel will be, it's not the President of the United States.

Jerusalem was declared to be the capital of Israel by the Knesset way back in 1980. Most other countries, then and now, did not recognise this, and maintain their embassies in the old capital of Tel Aviv. Diplomatic staff travel to Jerusalem as required. (It's about an hour's drive.) Most countries take the view that the status of Jerusalem cannot be resolved apart from the resolution of wider questions, and cannot be resolved unilaterally.

What Trump did was to recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel in 2017, and to direct that the US embassy should be relocated to Jerusalem (which happened in 2018). Only one other country - Guatemala - followed suit. All the other embassies in Israel remain in Tel Aviv, so Trump's move hasn't exactly opened the floodgates.

well now, i said that moving the capital back to jerusalem was a precondition of the return of christ. I didn't say that trump had moved it as I am as aware as you that he does not have that power. BUT, by moving the embassy back to jerusalem it is a sop to his evangelical supporters. they dont care what the rest of the world thinks, they only care what the US thinks. I dont think you can apply to much logic to the mind of an evangelical.

well now, i said that moving the capital back to jerusalem was a precondition of the return of christ. I didn't say that trump had moved it as I am as aware as you that he does not have that power. BUT, by moving the embassy back to jerusalem it is a sop to his evangelical supporters. they dont care what the rest of the world thinks, they only care what the US thinks. I dont think you can apply to much logic to the mind of an evangelical.
    Oh, sure, they'll be delighted. But (a) this is something that could be reversed; the US embassy could move back to Tel Aviv. And (b) moving it to Jerusalem is a pretty token gesture; it may delight some of Trump's supporters but it acheives precisely nothing and changes precisely nothing.

For the latter reason I think the embassy probably won't move back to Tel Aviv; in the scheme of things, it doesn't really matter that it has moved to Jerusalem. And this just underlines my point that Trump lacks the skills and abilities and judgment neede to acheive anything substantial. Delighting his own supporters is not a substantial acheivement; they are delighted if he manages to deliver a speech without tripping over his own tie or losing control of his bowels.

• Advertisement

Besides, Trump didn't move the capital of Israel to Jerusalem.
    Do you want to tell him, or will I?

https://twitter.com/dpinsen/status/1295483079662997504

It's actually the rebuilding of the Temple on Temple mount thats the precursor to either the return of christ, or the rise of the anti-christ, depending who you ask.

We're more or less in agreement here I think. The figurehead / puppet just needs to do the right things to get elected, the string-pullers are the ones who need to be competent and intelligent to get anything done once their puppet is in place.

Thankfully in Ireland we've never yet had anything approaching either a competent far-right puppet or string-puller, but that may change.

Trump's backers may be disappointed with the outcome so far, but there's a LOT he can do after his forthcoming defeat (:)) and he's got two conservative judges appointed to the Supreme Court, this is like finding the Holy Grail for certain conservatives who never acknowledged the legitimacy of the Roe v. Wade ruling.

smacl wrote: »
    FYP:)

Muppet = portmanteau of marionette and puppet.

It's much to my disappointment that this has for some reason turned into a term of abuse (is it more or less exclusive to Ireland?) The Muppets and Sesame Street are great. I thought they were great when I was a kid and now I have kids of my own I still think they're great :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Muppet = portmanteau of marionette and puppet.

It's much to my disappointment that this has for some reason turned into a term of abuse (is it more or less exclusive to Ireland?) The Muppets and Sesame Street are great. I thought they were great when I was a kid and now I have kids of my own I still think they're great :)

I dunno, still not sure which of the two muppets below I'd trust more to run the country :pac:

Animal-Supreme-2019-01.jpg

00150882-800.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

smacl wrote: »
    I dunno, still not sure which of the two muppets below I'd trust more to run the country :pac:

Animal-Supreme-2019-01.jpg

00150882-800.jpg

ANIMAL!
    ANIMAL!
    ANIMAL!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't really see what any of the last few comments have got to do with Atheism & Agnosticism.

Rather, it show's that this forum, particularly it's moderation, is run by Left wingers, i.e. biased.

I used to like the intelligent threads on this board, some ppl with such learned intellect, but not any more, it's just a lefty sh*t show now.

You are all an utter disgrace.

edit: smugness. I trust my instinct's in relation to contentious issues by my evalutaion of the persons character in combination with the point's they make. I never trust ppl who are smug, and all I see in this thread is ppl who are so full of themselves, for their obvious feelings of superiority.

Message to MOD: I demand that this thread be shut down. It ppl want to talk between themselves they can do that elsewhere if they so wish. I'm warning you, if you persist on endorsing this thread I'm going to complain, and I don't see how you can win that argument. It's hardly an intellectual thread but more a bitchy one. Try me.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't really see what any of the last few comments have got to do with Atheism & Agnosticism.

Rather, it show's that this forum, particularly it's moderation, is run by Left wingers, i.e. biased.

I used to like the intelligent threads on this board, some ppl with such learned intellect, but not any more, it's just a lefty sh*t show now.

You are all an utter disgrace.

MOD

Good Evening.

FYI

We have a thread where you can post all about your views on this forum's moderation here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056770280

Perhaps it being titled The Feedback Thread confused you in some way so you decided you would just pop into any old thread at all at all to have a wee vent.
    I'm afraid that's just a bit anarchic and could result in your valuable insights being missed.

Do feel free to leave feedback in the Feedback thread - it doesn't have to be learned, or even lefty, but it would help if it was reasoned.

Any further feedback related comments in this thread will be moved/edited/deleted as deemed appropriate by your friendly allegedly lefty mods.

Do not respond to this warning in thread.

Thanking you.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »

Message to MOD: I demand that this thread be shut down. It ppl want to talk between themselves they can do that elsewhere if they so wish. I'm warning you, if you persist on endorsing this thread I'm going to complain, and I don't see how you can win that argument. It's hardly an intellectual thread but more a bitchy one. Try me.

MOD

Request denied.

Advertisement