Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pubs/Restaurants Reopening June 29th

• 08-06-2020 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

The Marketbar are running a deal, 2 hour slot for set menu food and drinks and are taking bookings but it's €23 pp. Are anywhere else offering something similar for cheaper?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭CWF

Here is the info.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

there's a pub in clondalkin serving pints in the car park apparently at the moment,
    not sure i'd be into that or just sitting at a table, i go to the pub for the bar and the banter.
    All in good time i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭CWF

there's a pub in clondalkin serving pints in the car park apparently at the moment,
    not sure i'd be into that or just sitting at a table, i go to the pub for the bar and the banter.
    All in good time i guess

Haha Jaysus. I meant post lockdown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I have booked a meal in Matt the Threshers for Friday, 3 July - I have no idea if they will have any offers, but it is a nice big space so I hope it will feel less packed than a lot of other places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Publin are keeping a track of pubs that are opening on the 29th or that week on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Can you just order drinks and no food in the pubs that are reopening on June 29th or will a meal be a condition considering its the restaurant licence such pubs are using to reopen earlier?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

ongarboy wrote: »
    Can you just order drinks and no food in the pubs that are reopening on June 29th or will a meal be a condition considering its the restaurant licence such pubs are using to reopen earlier?

My understanding is that a restaurant licence isn't required in order to open, but food must be served with drinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Amirani wrote: »
    My understanding is that a restaurant licence isn't required in order to open, but food must be served with drinks.

Varadkar's speech was fairly clear on that - but not on whether they want the other terms of the restaurant cert enforced even on bars that don't have one.

Basically the 9 quid and "substantial" rules would lock out anywhere where facilities extend to a soup tureen and a sandwich toaster; but a microwave and a fryer would be fine to knock together some slop. There's some large enough pubs which have only the former or less for kitchen facilities.

Either way - you will not officially get drinks only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

6 pints each and a small chip to share please

6 pints each and a small chip to share please

And this is why they'll probably enforce the restaurant cert rules. 9 quid a head minimum and also has to meet the idea of "substantial"

Soup sandwiches and chips would probably pass.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    And this is why they'll probably enforce the restaurant cert rules. 9 quid a head minimum and also has to meet the idea of "substantial"

OK so, make it a large chip, and a few pre-sucked nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Wonder if anyone will try to do a work around by offering a plate of chips for €9, but it comes with a free pint. Probably something written in the rules somewhere to avoid that happening.

VonLuck wrote: »
    Wonder if anyone will try to do a work around by offering a plate of chips for €9, but it comes with a free pint. Probably something written in the rules somewhere to avoid that happening.

If they're made follow the restaurant cert rules its explicilty disallowed - it wouldn't actually be substantial for starters.

I expect a lot of fudging to be allowed though.

If they're made follow the restaurant cert rules its explicilty disallowed - it wouldn't actually be substantial for starters.

I expect a lot of fudging to be allowed though.

Is there a legal definition of substantial?

Is there a legal definition of substantial?

On the restaurant cert rules; which its now confirmed all pubs have to follow if they want to reopen early:

Has to be what you'd expect as a lunch; or a dinner; or the main course of a multi-course dinner. And cost at least €9

If its included in an entry price it would have to legitimately cost €9 if sold separately - this is to stop somewhere claiming that a bag of chips is €9; this was an issue when this was applied to nightclubs and they were claiming that curry chips or a large spoon of lasagna was €9 (from 2003) / £2 (1979 onwards).

With inflation, that £2 and €9 at the times they were set are almost identical (€11); meaning they must have picked the €9 as the inflation based equivalent; but the £2 was a significant increase over the original (25p in 1962) which wouldn't even be 6 quid now.

A main course at least, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

With all the new rules and regulations I don't think many people are going to want to go back to the pub.

I'd much rather drink at home or at a friends house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

There is so much attention and controversy focused on the €9 minimum food spend but isn't it correct to say, that's just for 3 weeks from June 29th? Once all pubs reopen on Jul 20th, you can just order drinks and no food in any pub that serves food (like pre COVID)? Also, I wonder will the 90 or 105 minute time limits be in place for drinking from Jul 20th onwards?

So far all indications are that it'll only be 3 weeks; but I would still expect a time limit (which could be a suggestion only) after that, possibly higher.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The guidelines state that you can only share a table with people from the same household, how that be enforced, and by who? Surely anyone going for dinner is wanting to do it with someone other than those who they've been starting at for the last three months :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

So far all indications are that it'll only be 3 weeks; but I would still expect a time limit (which could be a suggestion only) after that, possibly higher.

On what basis?

I would not be surprised if pubs can open for drinks sooner than July and then the time limit removed soon after as it is just illogical plus it will put too many people off going out which means the government absolutely have to pay for all costs pubs are paying to open and of course that is ridiculous. Any restrictions on the ability of pubs to make money will have to be paid for by the State and the State does not have unlimited money so it is imperative to ease sooner rather than later. The virus has been effectively extinguished in the community in Ireland so it is hardly going to appear out of no where unless it is imported again but it certainly won't re-occur from people sitting in pubs for 4 hours boozing away.

On what basis?

I would not be surprised if pubs can open for drinks sooner than July and then the time limit removed soon after as it is just illogical plus it will put too many people off going out which means the government absolutely have to pay for all costs pubs are paying to open and of course that is ridiculous. Any restrictions on the ability of pubs to make money will have to be paid for by the State and the State does not have unlimited money so it is imperative to ease sooner rather than later. The virus has been effectively extinguished in the community in Ireland so it is hardly going to appear out of no where unless it is imported again but it certainly won't re-occur from people sitting in pubs for 4 hours boozing away.

On the basis that everything so far has been relatively cautious; and realistically crowded pubs would have the highest transmission potential of anything - hot, sweaty, bugger all air replacement, no distancing.

Music is probably out for a decent amount of time also as talking loudly and/or directly in to someones face to be heard is a total no-no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I'm booked into a local bar next week for drinks, I emailed them and asked about food, they said they only have to have it available and that you can order some if you want.

I thought you had to order food or are they interpreting it the way they want. :confused:

Galadriel wrote: »
    I'm booked into a local bar next week for drinks, I emailed them and asked about food, they said they only have to have it available and that you can order some if you want.

I thought you had to order food or are they interpreting it the way they want. :confused:

You have to order food. They're trading as restaurants, not bars and it is illegal for a restaurant to sell you anything (other than wine, on some licences) without food.

There is likely to be absolutely zero enforcement though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

You have to order food. They're trading as restaurants, not bars and it is illegal for a restaurant to sell you anything (other than wine, on some licences) without food.

There is likely to be absolutely zero enforcement though.

Yeah, that's what I thought but they say differently. As you said there will be no enforcement, surprised they are being so open about it though.

Have already seen a claim that a (small) chain in Dublin have said they will be ignoring the 105 minutes and imposing their own, longer, time limit instead.

Suspect that once places aren't outright ignoring everything all this will be let slide. Dara O Briain has a sketch about Ireland have three levels of right/wrong instead of just right/wrong - "grand", "careful" and "you're taking the piss!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

On the basis that everything so far has been relatively cautious; and realistically crowded pubs would have the highest transmission potential of anything - hot, sweaty, bugger all air replacement, no distancing.

Music is probably out for a decent amount of time also as talking loudly and/or directly in to someones face to be heard is a total no-no.

Drinking diluted poison in a bar full of people to get drunk, enduring a crippling hangover and yet claiming to care about covid are just incompatible. The wave of public willpower to comply will rise against delaying a full opening of pubs if anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,271 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'd say keep an eye on Harry Byrne's Facebook page... looks like a new outdoor area going up in their car park.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Lux23 wrote: »
    I have booked a meal in Matt the Threshers for Friday, 3 July - I have no idea if they will have any offers, but it is a nice big space so I hope it will feel less packed than a lot of other places.

whats the food like in there. any recommendations from the menu

• Advertisement

Amirani wrote: »

Will a bag of taytos or peanuts will cover it

Minime2.5 wrote: »

No... it must be a significant meal as described in licensing legislation.

Needs to be equivalent to a full lunch or a main course of a dinner, and cost at least €9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I am sure we will be wings and fries'ed out of it in a few weeks, that'll be the go to in most pubs, wings and chips for 9 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Needs to be equivalent to a full lunch or a main course of a dinner, and cost at least €9

Which is already causing problems in rural places - there was one guy on the news saying his biggest lunchtime seller is a soup and sandwich combo for €6.50. So in the case of a pub, the meal needs to be inconsequential enough that the place doesnt need a restaurant license, but substantial enough that it counts as a main meal? Or are all the health and safety requirements associated with a restaurant just conveniently parked for three weeks?

This is nonsense of the highest order, and exactly the kind of thing I associate with modern FG (Ive always voted FG til the most recent election, before shinner bombs are thrown...). Either its safe to be in these places or its not. They want people spending in pubs, but dont have the conviction to state as much, so they can wash their hands of it if we get a second wave.

You don't need a restaurant certificate (the licence is a misnomer - a Special Restaurant Licence is a totally different thing for actual restaurants to serve spirits) to serve food; there are just some small advantages to having one. You need to be HSE cleared to do it; which places doing the soup'n'sandwich will be.

Basically, they're going to have to add some chips to the combo and charge 9 quid for it for three weeks.

There's a loophole they've not only decided to leave open but actually open up more (not require the restaurant cert) rather than do a general opening - my guess is they want to see if it causes a spike without opening everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's good but fairly pricey. Amazing seafood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I'd say keep an eye on Harry Byrne's Facebook page... looks like a new outdoor area going up in their car park.

Pizza and pint sounds good 😎

Just saw a clip on RTE News featuring the Market Bar, they've setup a grid structure of cubicles so each group is walled off from each other. So they're well setup but they have a lot of space to play with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Slattery's of capel st was open at 7am serving breakfasts and pints. Never thought of the early houses...tempted to go for a few scoops now with a big fry, and back at the wfh desk before 9am!

Does every person at the table have to order a €9 meal to be eligible to drink?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭recyclops

Does every person at the table have to order a €9 meal to be eligible to drink?

in the pub i was in yeah they did

We had to cancel, but from my last visit we had Oysters, Mussels and the Scampi which were all lovely.

:D:pac:

That level of piss-taking will get you closed down. Also seen somewhere trying to include a pint in the €9, which is also sailing too close to the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

That level of piss-taking will get you closed down. Also seen somewhere trying to include a pint in the €9, which is also sailing too close to the wind.

I think I saw 10 for basket of food, with complementary pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

L1011 wrote:

11.95 for chicken goujons & chips?

Too right it's taking the pi$$

You don't need a restaurant certificate (the licence is a misnomer - a Special Restaurant Licence is a totally different thing for actual restaurants to serve spirits) to serve food; there are just some small advantages to having one. You need to be HSE cleared to do it; which places doing the soup'n'sandwich will be.

Yes, thanks to you I think, I have learned that:

Restaurant Certificate is not the same as Special Restaurant Licence.

Restaurant Certificate is an extra on top of a pub licence, to allow selling of food.

Special Restaurant Licence is what a restaurant must get to sell beer and spirits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

:D:pac:

I’d bet decent money this is a gag

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, thanks to you I think, I have learned that:

Restaurant Certificate is not the same as Special Restaurant Licence.

Restaurant Certificate is an extra on top of a pub licence, to allow selling of food.

Special Restaurant Licence is what a restaurant must get to sell beer and spirits.

A pub can sell food without a Restaurant Certificate. Plenty do.

They just can't open outside of alcohol trading hours to do so. Plus the Restaurant Certificate gives an extra hour on top of norm (non extended/late) trading hours to continue serving alcohol to those who are eating, if you so wish.

To further confuse things, a restaurant with a Wine licence and a Restaurant Certificate can sell beer to those eating; but not spirits. Can sell wine without food.

A pub can sell food without a Restaurant Certificate. Plenty do.

They just can't open outside of alcohol trading hours to do so. Plus the Restaurant Certificate gives an extra hour on top of norm (non extended/late) trading hours to continue serving alcohol to those who are eating, if you so wish.

To further confuse things, a restaurant with a Wine licence and a Restaurant Certificate can sell beer to those eating; but not spirits. Can sell wine without food.

You are a mine of information.

Can I ask - if a pub doesn't need a Res Cert to serve food between 10:30am and closing time, then why bother with the Res Cert?

I don't see any pubs serving food pre 10:30am?

Or after 11:30pm?

• Advertisement
Advertisement