Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs/Restaurants Reopening June 29th

Options
  • 08-06-2020 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

The Marketbar are running a deal, 2 hour slot for set menu food and drinks and are taking bookings but it's €23 pp. Are anywhere else offering something similar for cheaper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Here is the info.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

there's a pub in clondalkin serving pints in the car park apparently at the moment,
    not sure i'd be into that or just sitting at a table, i go to the pub for the bar and the banter.
    All in good time i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

there's a pub in clondalkin serving pints in the car park apparently at the moment,
    not sure i'd be into that or just sitting at a table, i go to the pub for the bar and the banter.
    All in good time i guess

Haha Jaysus. I meant post lockdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I have booked a meal in Matt the Threshers for Friday, 3 July - I have no idea if they will have any offers, but it is a nice big space so I hope it will feel less packed than a lot of other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Publin are keeping a track of pubs that are opening on the 29th or that week on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Can you just order drinks and no food in the pubs that are reopening on June 29th or will a meal be a condition considering its the restaurant licence such pubs are using to reopen earlier?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

ongarboy wrote: »
    Can you just order drinks and no food in the pubs that are reopening on June 29th or will a meal be a condition considering its the restaurant licence such pubs are using to reopen earlier?

My understanding is that a restaurant licence isn't required in order to open, but food must be served with drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,124 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Amirani wrote: »
    My understanding is that a restaurant licence isn't required in order to open, but food must be served with drinks.

Varadkar's speech was fairly clear on that - but not on whether they want the other terms of the restaurant cert enforced even on bars that don't have one.

Basically the 9 quid and "substantial" rules would lock out anywhere where facilities extend to a soup tureen and a sandwich toaster; but a microwave and a fryer would be fine to knock together some slop. There's some large enough pubs which have only the former or less for kitchen facilities.

Either way - you will not officially get drinks only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

6 pints each and a small chip to share please

6 pints each and a small chip to share please

And this is why they'll probably enforce the restaurant cert rules. 9 quid a head minimum and also has to meet the idea of "substantial"

Soup sandwiches and chips would probably pass.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    And this is why they'll probably enforce the restaurant cert rules. 9 quid a head minimum and also has to meet the idea of "substantial"

OK so, make it a large chip, and a few pre-sucked nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Wonder if anyone will try to do a work around by offering a plate of chips for €9, but it comes with a free pint. Probably something written in the rules somewhere to avoid that happening.

VonLuck wrote: »
    Wonder if anyone will try to do a work around by offering a plate of chips for €9, but it comes with a free pint. Probably something written in the rules somewhere to avoid that happening.

If they're made follow the restaurant cert rules its explicilty disallowed - it wouldn't actually be substantial for starters.

I expect a lot of fudging to be allowed though.

If they're made follow the restaurant cert rules its explicilty disallowed - it wouldn't actually be substantial for starters.

I expect a lot of fudging to be allowed though.

Is there a legal definition of substantial?

Is there a legal definition of substantial?

On the restaurant cert rules; which its now confirmed all pubs have to follow if they want to reopen early:

Has to be what you'd expect as a lunch; or a dinner; or the main course of a multi-course dinner. And cost at least €9

If its included in an entry price it would have to legitimately cost €9 if sold separately - this is to stop somewhere claiming that a bag of chips is €9; this was an issue when this was applied to nightclubs and they were claiming that curry chips or a large spoon of lasagna was €9 (from 2003) / £2 (1979 onwards).

With inflation, that £2 and €9 at the times they were set are almost identical (€11); meaning they must have picked the €9 as the inflation based equivalent; but the £2 was a significant increase over the original (25p in 1962) which wouldn't even be 6 quid now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

A main course at least, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

With all the new rules and regulations I don't think many people are going to want to go back to the pub.

I'd much rather drink at home or at a friends house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

There is so much attention and controversy focused on the €9 minimum food spend but isn't it correct to say, that's just for 3 weeks from June 29th? Once all pubs reopen on Jul 20th, you can just order drinks and no food in any pub that serves food (like pre COVID)? Also, I wonder will the 90 or 105 minute time limits be in place for drinking from Jul 20th onwards?

So far all indications are that it'll only be 3 weeks; but I would still expect a time limit (which could be a suggestion only) after that, possibly higher.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The guidelines state that you can only share a table with people from the same household, how that be enforced, and by who? Surely anyone going for dinner is wanting to do it with someone other than those who they've been starting at for the last three months :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

So far all indications are that it'll only be 3 weeks; but I would still expect a time limit (which could be a suggestion only) after that, possibly higher.

On what basis?

I would not be surprised if pubs can open for drinks sooner than July and then the time limit removed soon after as it is just illogical plus it will put too many people off going out which means the government absolutely have to pay for all costs pubs are paying to open and of course that is ridiculous. Any restrictions on the ability of pubs to make money will have to be paid for by the State and the State does not have unlimited money so it is imperative to ease sooner rather than later. The virus has been effectively extinguished in the community in Ireland so it is hardly going to appear out of no where unless it is imported again but it certainly won't re-occur from people sitting in pubs for 4 hours boozing away.

On what basis?

I would not be surprised if pubs can open for drinks sooner than July and then the time limit removed soon after as it is just illogical plus it will put too many people off going out which means the government absolutely have to pay for all costs pubs are paying to open and of course that is ridiculous. Any restrictions on the ability of pubs to make money will have to be paid for by the State and the State does not have unlimited money so it is imperative to ease sooner rather than later. The virus has been effectively extinguished in the community in Ireland so it is hardly going to appear out of no where unless it is imported again but it certainly won't re-occur from people sitting in pubs for 4 hours boozing away.

On the basis that everything so far has been relatively cautious; and realistically crowded pubs would have the highest transmission potential of anything - hot, sweaty, bugger all air replacement, no distancing.

Music is probably out for a decent amount of time also as talking loudly and/or directly in to someones face to be heard is a total no-no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I'm booked into a local bar next week for drinks, I emailed them and asked about food, they said they only have to have it available and that you can order some if you want.

I thought you had to order food or are they interpreting it the way they want. :confused:

Galadriel wrote: »
    I'm booked into a local bar next week for drinks, I emailed them and asked about food, they said they only have to have it available and that you can order some if you want.

I thought you had to order food or are they interpreting it the way they want. :confused:

You have to order food. They're trading as restaurants, not bars and it is illegal for a restaurant to sell you anything (other than wine, on some licences) without food.

There is likely to be absolutely zero enforcement though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

You have to order food. They're trading as restaurants, not bars and it is illegal for a restaurant to sell you anything (other than wine, on some licences) without food.

There is likely to be absolutely zero enforcement though.

Yeah, that's what I thought but they say differently. As you said there will be no enforcement, surprised they are being so open about it though.

Have already seen a claim that a (small) chain in Dublin have said they will be ignoring the 105 minutes and imposing their own, longer, time limit instead.

Suspect that once places aren't outright ignoring everything all this will be let slide. Dara O Briain has a sketch about Ireland have three levels of right/wrong instead of just right/wrong - "grand", "careful" and "you're taking the piss!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

On the basis that everything so far has been relatively cautious; and realistically crowded pubs would have the highest transmission potential of anything - hot, sweaty, bugger all air replacement, no distancing.

Music is probably out for a decent amount of time also as talking loudly and/or directly in to someones face to be heard is a total no-no.

Drinking diluted poison in a bar full of people to get drunk, enduring a crippling hangover and yet claiming to care about covid are just incompatible. The wave of public willpower to comply will rise against delaying a full opening of pubs if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'd say keep an eye on Harry Byrne's Facebook page... looks like a new outdoor area going up in their car park.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Lux23 wrote: »
    I have booked a meal in Matt the Threshers for Friday, 3 July - I have no idea if they will have any offers, but it is a nice big space so I hope it will feel less packed than a lot of other places.

whats the food like in there. any recommendations from the menu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Amirani wrote: »

Will a bag of taytos or peanuts will cover it

Advertisement