Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs/Restaurants Reopening June 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Will a bag of taytos or peanuts will cover it

No... it must be a significant meal as described in licensing legislation.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Will a bag of taytos or peanuts will cover it

Needs to be equivalent to a full lunch or a main course of a dinner, and cost at least €9

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I am sure we will be wings and fries'ed out of it in a few weeks, that'll be the go to in most pubs, wings and chips for 9 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

L1011 wrote: »
    Needs to be equivalent to a full lunch or a main course of a dinner, and cost at least €9

Which is already causing problems in rural places - there was one guy on the news saying his biggest lunchtime seller is a soup and sandwich combo for €6.50. So in the case of a pub, the meal needs to be inconsequential enough that the place doesnt need a restaurant license, but substantial enough that it counts as a main meal? Or are all the health and safety requirements associated with a restaurant just conveniently parked for three weeks?

This is nonsense of the highest order, and exactly the kind of thing I associate with modern FG (Ive always voted FG til the most recent election, before shinner bombs are thrown...). Either its safe to be in these places or its not. They want people spending in pubs, but dont have the conviction to state as much, so they can wash their hands of it if we get a second wave.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You don't need a restaurant certificate (the licence is a misnomer - a Special Restaurant Licence is a totally different thing for actual restaurants to serve spirits) to serve food; there are just some small advantages to having one. You need to be HSE cleared to do it; which places doing the soup'n'sandwich will be.

Basically, they're going to have to add some chips to the combo and charge 9 quid for it for three weeks.

There's a loophole they've not only decided to leave open but actually open up more (not require the restaurant cert) rather than do a general opening - my guess is they want to see if it causes a spike without opening everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

whats the food like in there. any recommendations from the menu

It's good but fairly pricey. Amazing seafood

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭toffeeshel

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I'd say keep an eye on Harry Byrne's Facebook page... looks like a new outdoor area going up in their car park.

Pizza and pint sounds good 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just saw a clip on RTE News featuring the Market Bar, they've setup a grid structure of cubicles so each group is walled off from each other. So they're well setup but they have a lot of space to play with.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,069 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Slattery's of capel st was open at 7am serving breakfasts and pints. Never thought of the early houses...tempted to go for a few scoops now with a big fry, and back at the wfh desk before 9am!

Does every person at the table have to order a €9 meal to be eligible to drink?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭recyclops

Does every person at the table have to order a €9 meal to be eligible to drink?

in the pub i was in yeah they did

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

whats the food like in there. any recommendations from the menu

We had to cancel, but from my last visit we had Oysters, Mussels and the Scampi which were all lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

:D:pac:

That level of piss-taking will get you closed down. Also seen somewhere trying to include a pint in the €9, which is also sailing too close to the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,131 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

That level of piss-taking will get you closed down. Also seen somewhere trying to include a pint in the €9, which is also sailing too close to the wind.

I think I saw 10 for basket of food, with complementary pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

L1011 wrote:

11.95 for chicken goujons & chips?

Too right it's taking the pi$$

You don't need a restaurant certificate (the licence is a misnomer - a Special Restaurant Licence is a totally different thing for actual restaurants to serve spirits) to serve food; there are just some small advantages to having one. You need to be HSE cleared to do it; which places doing the soup'n'sandwich will be.

Yes, thanks to you I think, I have learned that:

Restaurant Certificate is not the same as Special Restaurant Licence.

Restaurant Certificate is an extra on top of a pub licence, to allow selling of food.

Special Restaurant Licence is what a restaurant must get to sell beer and spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,190 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

:D:pac:

I’d bet decent money this is a gag

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, thanks to you I think, I have learned that:

Restaurant Certificate is not the same as Special Restaurant Licence.

Restaurant Certificate is an extra on top of a pub licence, to allow selling of food.

Special Restaurant Licence is what a restaurant must get to sell beer and spirits.

A pub can sell food without a Restaurant Certificate. Plenty do.

They just can't open outside of alcohol trading hours to do so. Plus the Restaurant Certificate gives an extra hour on top of norm (non extended/late) trading hours to continue serving alcohol to those who are eating, if you so wish.

To further confuse things, a restaurant with a Wine licence and a Restaurant Certificate can sell beer to those eating; but not spirits. Can sell wine without food.

A pub can sell food without a Restaurant Certificate. Plenty do.

They just can't open outside of alcohol trading hours to do so. Plus the Restaurant Certificate gives an extra hour on top of norm (non extended/late) trading hours to continue serving alcohol to those who are eating, if you so wish.

To further confuse things, a restaurant with a Wine licence and a Restaurant Certificate can sell beer to those eating; but not spirits. Can sell wine without food.

You are a mine of information.

Can I ask - if a pub doesn't need a Res Cert to serve food between 10:30am and closing time, then why bother with the Res Cert?

I don't see any pubs serving food pre 10:30am?

Or after 11:30pm?

• Advertisement

I hope you don't mind, I have another question.

What you say above implies that a restaurant with a wine licence can serve beer?

OK, so therefore every cafe in the country can serve beer if they like, without spending 60-80k on a pub licence? As long as it's served with food?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/excise-licensing/wine-retailers-on-licence/index.aspx

And every cafe can pay 500 for the wine retailers on-licence and serve wine without food?

So, in a sense, we already have what McDowell proposed - the cafe-bar?

Loads and loads of pubs open for breakfast. Only about ten have early house licences. That needs a restaurant cert

McDowells cafe bar licencing went a lot further than the very limited rules about selling beer with food that the Restaurant Cert allows - with the meal, 30mins after, 9 quid minimum. McDowell would have allowed spirits and (actual Spanish, not what is charged in restaurants here) tapas pricing and different times

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I know of one pub open that doesn't serve food, but they are telling customers there is a free curry available if they want. It only takes one phone call from a fussy neighbour and they will be shut down for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Is the 90 minute rule still in affect ? Is it being adhered to ?

105 minute. Mostly

Places taking the piss are risking their licence and also potentially their industry if they decide to kick phase 4 out further

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

105 minute. Mostly

Places taking the piss are risking their licence and also potentially their industry if they decide to kick phase 4 out further

I think the 105 min limit only applies if physical distancing is less than 2 metres? Page 9...?

https://failtecdn.azureedge.net/failteireland/Guidelines-for-Re-opening-Restaurants-and-Cafes.pdf

Which is basically everywhere

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Queue the busy bodies out this weekend in full force with their camera on their phone, ready to pounce at the first instance of rule flouting they see and upload it to social media. Fcuk off Karen :D:D

Don’t know why anyone would report their local pub, maybe different in the city if a big establishment are blatantly packing people in...

There are some people who hate drinking and hate pubs and will be out and about this weekend for “a meal” they have no more interest in being in the pub for, just to find an opportunity to snitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Which is basically everywhere

Ah Ok thank you. Heading to Searsons on Baggot St tomorrow. Booked table but no mention of 105 mins. Walking by last night and sign outside states tables are 2 metres apart.

• Advertisement

Hubertj wrote: »
    Ah Ok thank you. Heading to Searsons on Baggot St tomorrow. Booked table but no mention of 105 mins. Walking by last night and sign outside states tables are 2 metres apart.

The spacing needs to be 2m+ between people at a table as well as between tables to be considered 2m+

The Belgard Inn was probably the only pub big enough to do that, used to be able to seat over 1000 in its 70s config!

Advertisement