Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPDATED FOR 2015- IEC FAQ Thread - please read here first and ask any questions here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

Dargog wrote: »
    AS FAR AS I'M AWARE YOUR CHILDREN DONT NEED A STUDY PERMIT TO GO TO SCHOOL ONCE YOU HAVE THE VISA AND WORK PERMIT.

However I AM STRUGGLING TO FIND OUT IF MY FIANCE CAN COME WITH ME. Ive been told by IEC AT THE TRADE show that she can and that she will be issued with a visitor visa at the port of entry. She is not planning to work for the first 2 years and as she is only 32 she could apply in 2 years - dont want to use her allocation at this point if we dont have to. Anyone got any other feedback re this situation - planning to head over with my fiance and 2 small children

Pretty sure the kids will need a study permit she can go to Canada as vistor but she have to show that she can fund herself for that time as far as I read .because can't really have her depednts on the iec as far as I know. But the visas for the kids be issued at the border I believe same as the visitor one for the wife
    .and a visitor visa is only for 6 months so you both should really be applying for the iec visa even if she's not working

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bonbondar

Yep i know kids need study visa if they go to school. I just cant get a straight answer as to where we get it. As far as i know we put thrm down on the iec form and they get the study visa at the immigration border. As for your fiance and visitors visa, thats only valid for 6 month stay, thats why we are both going for iec.

bonbondar wrote: »
    Yep i know kids need study visa if they go to school. I just cant get a straight answer as to where we get it. As far as i know we put thrm down on the iec form and they get the study visa at the immigration border. As for your fiance and visitors visa, thats only valid for 6 month stay, thats why we are both going for iec.
    Pretty sure it's issuued at the border

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dargog

I will be studying or working in Canada temporarily. Can my dependent child(ren) go to school in Canada?
    In most cases, minor children require a study permit to study in Canada. Please check the eligibility requirements below for the conditions that apply to your particular circumstance.

Eligibility
    These are the study permit requirements for children who are accompanying a parent(s) or legal guardian(s) who will study or work temporarily in Canada:

•Pre-school/Kindergarten: no study permit required.
    •Primary and secondary school (age 6-18): open study permit required. You do not require an acceptance letter from the child’s school in Canada. Please note: children accompanying parents who are visitors in Canada (ie. they do not have a study or work permit) are not eligible for an open study permit.
    •University and college (age 18-22): study permit required. Follow the standard process to apply for a study permit. The application for the child’s study permit should be made on a separate form from the parent’s application.
    •Studying in Quebec: In addition to the standard requirements, minor applicants destined for Quebec will need a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (Certificate of Acceptance or CAQ) from the Government of Quebec. For more information on how to apply for a CAQ visit the immigration website of the Government of Quebec.
    No study permit required
    In some cases, minor children do not need a study permit to study in Canada. These cases include:

•minor children attending pre-school or kindergarten,
    •minor children who are refugees or refugee claimants, or whose parents are refugees or refugee claimants,
    •dependent children of accredited foreign representatives in Canada, and
    •minor children who are already in Canada with parents who are allowed to work or study in Canada, and who want to attend pre-school, primary or secondary school.
    Validity
    •No study permit is required to attend pre-school or kindergarten.
    •Study permits for primary school (grades 1 to 8) are normally valid for one year and can be renewed in Canada.
    •Study permits for secondary school (grades 9 to 12), college or university are normally issued for the the full length of the intended period of study in Canada, plus 90 days (maximum 4 years).
    •Study permits for minor children studying in Quebec are valid for the same length of time as the Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (Certificate of Acceptance or CAQ).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dargog

The IEC TEAM AT THE rds Show seemed to think that my fiance could go with me as long as we can prove we are common law and that they will issue her with a visitor visa at the border control - however I'm not sure I want to take the risk - as far as my last post shows - it looks as though my kids (5+2) will not need a study permit but dont know your kids ages so not sure - see fourth bullet

- minor children who are already in Canada with parents who are allowed to work or study in Canada, and who want to attend pre-school, primary or secondary school.

iTS NOT VERY CLEAR TBH!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭JamHn

Anyone know the answer to this: When you have the via through IEC, is there a limit to how many times you can go and stay in Canada? Can you work for a couple of months and then leave Canada and then go back again and do that as many times as you want? :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

JamHn wrote: »
    Anyone know the answer to this: When you have the via through IEC, is there a limit to how many times you can go and stay in Canada? Can you work for a couple of months and then leave Canada and then go back again and do that as many times as you want? :)

Theoretically, you can enter and leave as often as you like, but your insurance policy will only cover you for a specific number of visits back to Ireland, of a specific length. If you breach these, your insurance policy will be invalidated and your visa could theoretically be cancelled due to the lack of coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭JamHn

Faith wrote: »
    Theoretically, you can enter and leave as often as you like, but your insurance policy will only cover you for a specific number of visits back to Ireland, of a specific length. If you breach these, your insurance policy will be invalidated and your visa could theoretically be cancelled due to the lack of coverage.

Thanks, Faith!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Hi, could anyone tell me if, given I am now living in Germany - but am an Irish citizen of course, that I can still apply? Naturally enough I can also give an address of a family member/friend in Ireland but the problem is I don't live there myself any more (at least at the moment). So I'm wondering if me not being an Irish resident would exclude me?

Pain in the ar** having to get all those police checks, sadly in my case it is a lot more than one that I require.

Thank you and best wishes.

OTC

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hulgraine

Hi,

Can someone please tell me how to identify what the Visa number you got is by using the World Tracking Number (WTN) you received.

There are two sets of numbers within the WTN. Which set of numbers denotes your Visa number?

My WTN is DUBLIN-IE-14-XXXXXX

So did I get Visa number 14?

Thanks,
    Hugo

• Advertisement

No, 14 is the year. Your number is the bit you have X'd.

Faith,

Thanks for that. Well then I think that means I got Visa 3900.

Please tell me that means that I got Visa 3900 out of the total 7700 and not out of the 3850 up for grabs today?

Tearing my hair out here!

Thanks,
    Hugo

Yes, you got 3900/7700. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 stevplum

I think it started at the 3851 I got a wtn aswel but this still doesn't mean uve got a place yet though does it?

Faith,

Delighted :D

Thanks a million,
    Hugo

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Tea rocks

I got a WTN!
    *weeps*

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mossy14

I have a querey. I know it says on the kompass account that : Acceptable formats: PDF, JPG, BMP, GIF, TIF. for the passport and cv documents. But i see here some people saying only pdf is exceptable? can someone confirm will either of the others do as i cannot get my files into pdf.. adobe is acting the arse with me.

mossy14 wrote: »
    I have a querey. I know it says on the kompass account that : Acceptable formats: PDF, JPG, BMP, GIF, TIF. for the passport and cv documents. But i see here some people saying only pdf is exceptable? can someone confirm will either of the others do as i cannot get my files into pdf.. adobe is acting the arse with me.

Can you email your resume to someone, get them to save it as a pdf then email back to you then upload.

Possibly... anyone care to do it? would rather not send my details to someone but whatever it takes i suppose.

Possibly... anyone care to do it? would rather not send my details to someone but whatever it takes i suppose.
    Ill do it if you like. Mines all just gone through.

• Advertisement

i have the files in jpg.. isnt that acceptable? if someone that has already sent them as jpg can confirm.??

i have the files in jpg.. isnt that acceptable? if someone that has already sent them as jpg can confirm.??
    Not sure. My passport photo gone in jpeg, resume gone in pdf.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 finlayspub1

I got the letter of introduction tonight through the cic account , happy days !! anyone else get it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Is it ok to send resume in pdf and passport pic in jpeg like someone else just asked?

Is it ok to send resume in pdf and passport pic in jpeg like someone else just asked?

Yep thats exactly what way I uploaded them.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I have been asked to pay the fees now and after reading the site several times, I am still not exactly clear whether I would receive a refund of the +/- 100 euros should I not be accepted, I am certainly not flush enough at the moment to be throwing away 100 euros.

So, would anyone know if not currently being an Irish resident (but an Irish citizen) would render my application invalid and prevent me being a participant on the programme?

Thanks

No, you should be fine. As far as I know, they've scrapped the residency requirement.

you can get a refund up to a certain point i cant remember where of the top of my head but there is to a point .

Faith wrote: »
    No, you should be fine. As far as I know, they've scrapped the residency requirement.

OK thanks Faith, much appreciated.
    you can get a refund up to a certain point i cant remember where of the top of my head but there is to a point .

Yes exactly, on the site it is implied that once you have paid the fees and submitted CV etc, that you might still get rejected when you apply for the Work Permit, although they will give you instructions how to try and get your money back. Which is not quite the same thing as saying 'fees will be refunded.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

does anyone know what the situation is regarding leaving and re-entering Canada?
    my situation is this - i received my LOI but i'm not ready to move before the activation date so i was planning on travelling to Canada, activating the visa, staying for a week and then coming back to Ireland. does anyone know if their is a time limit for me to re-enter Canada or can i return say 6 months later - therefore still have 18 months?

Advertisement