Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

I’m a little surprised that so many people are shocked by this program.

We have a truly abysmal record of animal welfare in this country and a population that actively see no evil, hear no evil supports it.

You only have to visit your local animal shelter to see the neglect, abandonment and cruelty that animals are subject to and yet we fancy ourselves as a nation of “animal lovers”.

Think about that the next time you arrange to meet someone in a Tesco car park to buy a “teacup Yorkie” from a litter in their boot. Or you attend your office party at the dogs.

This goes on because we, as a nation allow it to, we pay for it with our taxes and we support it with our money.

Completely and utterly agree. I had written a very similar post about 10 minutes ago and it didn’t get posted for some reason (maybe my mistake). We have an appalling track record in Ireland for animal welfare, far far worse than the UK. Remember the recent jailing of Wexford puppy breeder , carcasses of dogs and horses found on his farm!

I spoke to 3 people this weekend who were saying they were getting dogs . ALL of them were getting brand new puppies. I suggested rescue dogs and it was something they had never considered as they wanted pure bred puppies. Our rescue centres are bursting at the seams .

But that’s another story, let’s concentrate at the moment on the poor innocent greyhounds. I noticed that it was all men who were involved in coursing and greyhound breeding , plus racing , selling and abuse of these dogs.... not women. Do men not have the same feelings as women when it comes to animal welfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

"Mans Best Friend"

Dogs are fantastic creatures that do so much for the human race and to treat them as commodities is a disgrace.

Those scumbag greyhound owners need to be boiled alive by the Chinese not the poor defenseless greyhounds.

The government have to stop funding these crooks in the IGB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Right so. This is now a man bashing thread??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

You'd have to wonder what kind of darkness lurks in those who take enjoyment in the barbarism that is coursing.

Our regulations are better for animals bred for food than most of Europe, including other developed countries. There’s a lot of room for improvement but we do okay in that regard.

Dogs are domesticated animals which means they are not bred for food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

mikeym wrote: »

Tell that to the Chinese

How many of you have actually seen an Irish Hare running wild in Ireland?

It’s quite a sight and I’ve only seen it 3 times in my lifetime and it was so special every time.

OK as in kill one in 3 Greyhounds born in Ireland?

That “OK” with you?

Shall we sit on our fcking hands and just let Europe pat ourselves on our back?

Like fck we will...

Fine gael needs to wake up.

The IGB doesnt need government funding because theres no real economic benefit to the country just to the bookies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

You'd have to wonder what kind of darkness lurks in those who take enjoyment in the barbarism that is coursing.

It’s baffling isn’t it.

I think it was fox hunting Oscar Wilde was referring to when he said

“The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable”

That about sums up blood “sports” for me.

The IGB doesnt need government funding because theres no real economic benefit to the country just to the bookies.

Great. So no more of my hard earned tax euros will be applied to this abomination so called “sport”

Great. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Right so. This is now a man bashing thread??

No, definitely not, but I’ve always wondered . Women tend to be more involved in animal welfare issues and in the rescue of abandoned and abused animals. I’ve seen it in a few of the rescue centres I’ve volunteered in. It’s just something I’m curious about, the men in my life are animal lovers !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

It’s quite a sight and I’ve only seen it 3 times in my lifetime and it was so special every time.

Only on Monday, my second ever time seeing one, he was pegging up the road in front of me approaching a corner and I was PRAYING there wasn’t another car coming from the other side because he would have been TOAST! Thankfully he found a gap in the brambles and took off across the fields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

We have an appalling record on puppy farms and dog breeding. Think that's what previous poster was referring to

Take a quick look through Donedeal and you'll see this to be true. The amount of utter s h itheads running puppy farms is there for all to see. I report them all the time and yet Donedeal do diddly squat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Completely and utterly agree. I had written a very similar post about 10 minutes ago and it didn’t get posted for some reason (maybe my mistake). We have an appalling track record in Ireland for animal welfare, far far worse than the UK. Remember the recent jailing of Wexford puppy breeder , carcasses of dogs and horses found on his farm!

I spoke to 3 people this weekend who were saying they were getting dogs . ALL of them were getting brand new puppies. I suggested rescue dogs and it was something they had never considered as they wanted pure bred puppies. Our rescue centres are bursting at the seams .

But that’s another story, let’s concentrate at the moment on the poor innocent greyhounds. I noticed that it was all men who were involved in coursing and greyhound breeding , plus racing , selling and abuse of these dogs.... not women. Do men not have the same feelings as women when it comes to animal welfare?

Should they have gender quotas?
    It may come as a surprise to you but we aren't all like that.

Pretty sure the coursing supporters have some women in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Men are typically less empathic, but it's not really something you can express. Despite the fact the women typically will be more drawn to professions requiring empathy. Nursing & teaching. Jordan Peterson talks about it alot, and has lots of stats to back it up.

All the above is of course at population level, there will always be outliers

No, definitely not, but I’ve always wondered . Women tend to be more involved in animal welfare issues and in the rescue of abandoned and abused animals. I’ve seen it in a few of the rescue centres I’ve volunteered in. It’s just something I’m curious about, the men in my life are animal lovers !

There are plenty of men out there who are very passionate about dogs and their welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Fine gael needs to wake up.

Amazing the way we keep hearing about this government having picked off all the "low hanging fruit" down the years of austerity yet these lads and the lads in the horse racing "industry" keep getting this money. Strange that.

Should they have gender quotas?
    It may come as a surprise to you but we aren't all like that.

Pretty sure the coursing supporters have some women in them.

See my post #72 in which I said ALL the men I know are animal lovers. It was a question, not a generalization.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I somehow doubt the industry is going to be disbanded so would there be any merit in a major campaign to get people to consider rescue greyhounds as really good family pets ? They are very gentle and surprising lazy, I believe. so easy to manage and it might just save the poor creatures from being boiled alive in China.

Also, is a knackery the same as an abattoir for say cattle who have TB etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I can honestly say hundreds of times. You can’t walk anywhere in Dublin Airport and not see Irish hares. They are everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

What happens them after export is not our concern though right?

Well, I’d imagine it’s hard to control what other jurisdictions do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

this will be big news for a few days and then forgotten . i rescued a greyhound and knowing the cruelty they endure upsets me all the time. my greyhound is the nicest dog i have ever owned and i have owned almost 20 dogs in my lifetime. i am weary of the fight against cruelty because its the same people all the time trying to help and the same bastards being cruel.
    there was a global greyhound walk in June and it was well supported allover the world. our "famous ethnic minority are the worst culprits for greyhound & lurcher cruelty ask any rescue centre. As long as someone is earning big bucks and prize money is big there will be greyhound men willing to do anything to get near it. we are no longer a moral society we are lost.

OK as in kill one in 3 Greyhounds born in Ireland?

That “OK” with you?

Shall we sit on our fcking hands and just let Europe pat ourselves on our back?

Like fck we will...

You... didn’t read my first post in this thread, did you? Perhaps read the thread before jerking your knee?
    I went to the dogs for the first time for a communion party last month. Everyone was like “Oh, it’s such craic, you’ll love it!”. It was hugely boring and all I could think about was the welfare of the dogs. Rightfully as it turns out. The fretting fed into my non-enjoyment, to be honest. I just couldn’t.

Greyhounds are dotes too.

Well, I’d imagine it’s hard to control what other jurisdictions do.

But we CAN control what we do :)

There are plenty of men out there who are very passionate about dogs and their welfare.

That was my point, ALL the men in my life are animal lovers.
    But the breeders, racers, abusers, knackers who killed these dogs, drivers who transported them ,the Chinese who boiled them, were all men. Do a certain cohort of men just not have that gene that loves, cares and protects ?

Most of the rescuers were women, plus the guy who runs the rescue center in Tipperary for retired racing dogs. So as I said earlier it was NOT a generalization, however the majority of the people who were involved in the abuse of dogs on that programme tonight were men. Even my male partner who was watching this with me commented on it .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

I can honestly say hundreds of times. You can’t walk anywhere in Dublin Airport and not see Irish hares. They are everywhere.
    i live in county galway i have seen 1 hare in recent times and when in limerick i saw 3 in the wild but plenty at the coursing track in newcastlewest for the 2 day meet at Xmas being held in captivity for the enterainment post xmas terrible savages enjoy this

And there’s only one reason for that: money.

The countries with lower standards for animal bred for food are just as interested on money. :confused: Linking higher standards to money-making doesn’t follow as bringing things up to those standards costs money.

Obviously! I was simply pointing out that in some areas, Ireland punches above its weight with regard to animal welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Take a quick look through Donedeal and you'll see this to be true. The amount of utter s h itheads running puppy farms is there for all to see. I report them all the time and yet Donedeal do diddly squat.

Well I was pillored and the whole thread was removed right here on boards.ie because I said it was a great day for animal welfare in Ireland that the Puppy Farmer in Carlow was convicted. A moderator said... you must be sick...

It was an even better day that this individual lost his appeal and that conviction was upheld.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

The Chinese.
    A bad bunch of *****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

On a holiday in West Cork a few years ago, we were driving on this little country road, the type with grass growing in the middle of the road and we came upon a group of hares sitting smack bang in the middle of the road. They sat there, bold as brass, not budging an inch, a bit of a standoff between us and them ensued. That was the only time I ever saw them in the flesh and I'm grew up in the countryside. I couldn't believe they were so huge. Really beautiful creatures.

Advertisement