Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger Precision or Tikka Tac A1

Options
  • 13-08-2019 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

Interested to hear anyone's experience with a Ruger Precision or Tikka Tac A1. Interested in both and have a for sale advert up but would like some feedback and/or reviews on the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

Not for sale but to answer your question on experience, I have a RPR in 6.5 creedmore and while on the heavy side for stalking (weight never bothered me) it's a cracker of a rifle. I've killed goats at over 500 yards with it, regularly hit clays out to 400 yards on first shot and recently broke one at just over a 1000 yards. That took about 8 rounds as I wasn't sure of my drops and had to walk the rounds in. It clover leafs 3 rounds at 100. I'm using Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELDX

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Thanks GP - appreciated.

Thanks for info on ammo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 duckshooter

Tikkas great guns

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Never understand the fascination with modular rifle systems.

Too heavy for a good stalking rifle and for the price not something you'd see on the line for competition. Perhaps sporting rifle comps, but even then.

I wanted an AICS stock for years. Finally saved up for one. Sold it soon after because the chassis system was nearly 7lb on it's own and with the barreled action i had a 15lb rifle. A tack to be sure, but it was not because of the chassis. Sold the AICS and went back to a standard timber stock. Saved myself 6lb and now have a decently weighted 9lb stalker rifle.

Sorry for going a touch off topic, and i know it's not really helpful to the OPs question, but it's more of a question of my own rather than a review.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

My 2 cents on the tikka is that while they are a really well built and tack driving machine,for the money the barrel and action is a blued finish rather than the manganese phosphate finish they put on the older t3 tactical the blued finish will rust in a heartbeat if not wiped over with an oiled rag every single time it gets damp.
    I’m not exaggerating this as I have seen it happen and it’s the main reason I wouldn’t do the natural upgrade of my tactical to a tac a1 if they had put the manganese finish on the a1 I’d have one in a second!
    As a reply to the above comment it’s true they are heavy but some people prefer heavy me included it’s horses for courses really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement