Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trouble with car dealer

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

Why couldn't garage do all these checks before transaction took place ....they are supposed to be a professional buisness ...most of us before we buy a private sale do our checks first .....

Surely that would be just good business practise on part... i would t have thought a garage could really go back on it once they agreed it/took the balance? Not exactly your fault they didn’t do the proper checks...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Have you done a history check op?

What sort of money was spent and what were trade in costs.

Was the car a ball of SH1t or what...

Very vague..

Do a check come back with results, how long had you the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Are you a lady or someone who might not look like they know much about cars? (No offence)

I'd guess they're trying a bit of extortion. Ask them to put their demands in writing lol

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’ve seen a thread almost identical to this one before.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’ve seen a thread almost identical to this one before.

Denzel Washington? Deja vu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109823480

Was this the same car you traded that had €3,800 damage?

elperello wrote: »

Oh so they knowingly sold on a damaged repaired.....
    Still think dealer fooked up though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Uh oh
    Are you a lady or someone who might not look like they know much about cars? (No offence)

:-|

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Del2005 wrote: »
    The OP didn't do a history check, twice, and the numerous threads here and other forums would suggest that the majority of people don't either.

Last October I was on verge of buying a car , agreed price and day I would be picking up and I told seller I would be doing a full online check and if that comes back ok sale would go ahead ....

Turned out the car had been stollen , was in a garda pursuit and crashed into wall ... not hugely damaged but I went to my local garda station to confirm this and it was correct ....

Youd be mad not to have cars checked out ....€15 euros is all it cost !!!!! 15 euro!!!! Nuts .

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Boogeyman123

Not the same car but thanks for your concern. The car that was crashed is my own and the car that was traded is my partners.

The garage are claiming that the car traded in was crashed in England before being imported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Worth maybe doing a check and seeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's very likely if the dealer didn't run a history check when taking it as a trade in, they wouldn't have ran a history check when selling it. I'd say a potential buyer ran a history check and then the penny dropped when mentioned to the dealer. Either way dealer should have done proper due diligence before accepting the car as a trade-in. The information was available to them but the chose not to check it. The OP is under no obligation to compensate them for their mistake imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Not the same car but thanks for your concern. The car that was crashed is my own and the car that was traded is my partners.

The garage are claiming that the car traded in was crashed in England before being imported.

So you bought the original car without doing a check on it and were not aware of its history (?). If so you traded it in, in good faith, same way as you bought it.

They only did the check after they agreed the trade in and sale of the new motor. Now they want an extra 1500 after the deal was done and are withholding the logbook on the new motor.

Is the older motor now in their name ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's ok.
    You will understand why I asked.
    Your reply clarifies the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Is the garage asserting that the car you traded in was not roadworthy? If not, and on the basis that you sold it as a consumer not a business, they do not have any redress against you. If you were not aware of any UK crash, it's hard to see how even the most moralistic person could consider you owe them the steam emanating from your urine/!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭FrankPoll.

Similar to a private person buying a stolen, clocked, crashed car as a result of not doing a single €20 check on the car they are buying, no comeback.

What check is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

FrankPoll. wrote: »
    What check is it?
    Numerous websites offering basically the same service...
    cartell.ie, motorcheck.ie, myvehicle.ie, mywheels.ie etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

And so what ? A crashed repairable that has been repaired correctly is perfectly fine.

As a private person dealing with a business you have essentially presented your trade in as seen and the dealer agreed to go ahead.

There’s hundreds of cat C and D damaged vehicles going through auctions in the UK every day of the week to supply the second hand market with perfectly fine second hand vehicles when repaired properly.

On a fleet car at end of lease a dent in a door and an expensive wing mirror broken of would make it an economical write off as it doesn’t make sense to spend money on an expensive repair on a low residual vehicle. There’s truckloads of that type of stuff going through UK auctions every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

I traded in a Passat a few years ago to a BMW main dealer.

I can't remember exactly the issue with the Passat but a small internal part needed replacing that was causing the radiator light to come on. I told the salesman about it on day one and he had the on site mechanics check it out to confirm. We did the deal and a few days later when I was collecting my car he checked it again.

Next day he called me and told me the head gasket was gone and he wanted X amount of money as he wasn't going to take the hit. I told him where to go and not contact me again.

Bumped into him about six months later when I dropped the new car in for something and he told me the head gasket wasn't actually gone and they'd made a mistake.

Advertisement