Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trouble with car dealer

Options
  • 20-09-2019 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

So last weekend I bought a car from a dealer. I traded my own against it. No financing on the new car or anything. Then today the garage ring me and tell me that they did a car tell on the car I had traded and found out it was crashed in the UK before, which I was unaware of, and that I either have to return their car or give them an extra €1500.

Just wondering if anyone knows my rights here. I am worried they will withhold the log book.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,077 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'd do my own cartell check first if I was you.
    How do you know they're telling the truth?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So last weekend I bought a car from a dealer. I traded my own against it. No financing on the new car or anything. Then today the garage ring me and tell me that they did a car tell on the car I had traded and found out it was crashed in the UK before, which I was unaware of, and that I either have to return their car or give them an extra €1500.

Just wondering if anyone knows my rights here. I am worried they will withhold the log book.

A garage has to tell if the car was crashed. Do a history check yourself to see if you got ripped off when you bought it.

It it is crashed you either pay the extra or void the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

If it was crashed take it back and let them keep it. It will be worthless if you try to sell it on as too no one wants such a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Why couldn't garage do all these checks before transaction took place ....they are supposed to be a professional buisness ...most of us before we buy a private sale do our checks first .....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Why couldn't garage do all these checks before transaction took place ....they are supposed to be a professional buisness ...most of us before we buy a private sale do our checks first .....

Unless they had a buyer for it that done a history check then told the dealer it was crashed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Once they done the deal and didn't check fook all the fault is with them, these places should be shut down as they bring ****boxes in to the trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,077 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

screamer wrote: »
    If it was crashed take it back and let them keep it. It will be worthless if you try to sell it on as too no one wants such a car.
    Nope, op is saying that the car the op traded in was found to be crashed before the op bought it originally.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

If the op has a receipt for the purchase then I don’t see any reason for him to do anything. Deal is concluded and if he didn’t purposefully hide the fact that the car was previously crashed then the onus is on the dealer to perform all necessary checks.

The dealer is, after all, the expert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Tell the garage you will facilitate them in an exchange but you require 500 euro for the inconvenience. If the car was crashed most likely it was a cat D basically , cosmetic. Another poster claimed a garage has to tell you a car was previously crashed soz to say but that's crap, I know this from personal experience . What amuses me is people thinking a dealership being SIMI registered affords then protection.
    Long story short 'caveat emptor'. Buyer beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What is he legal standpoint here? I’ve never heard of anything like this happening as you’d expect the garage to give it a once over pre finalising any deal. After that I can’t see what the comeback would be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The OP didn't do a history check, twice, and the numerous threads here and other forums would suggest that the majority of people don't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

road_high wrote: »
    What is he legal standpoint here? I’ve never heard of anything like this happening as you’d expect the garage to give it a once over pre finalising any deal. After that I can’t see what the comeback would be?

Similar to a private person buying a stolen, clocked, crashed car as a result of not doing a single €20 check on the car they are buying, no comeback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Del2005 wrote: »
    The OP didn't do a history check, twice, and the numerous threads here and other forums would suggest that the majority of people don't either.

Says it all when a dealer does a check after he/she signs off on a deal. They are the experts, after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No-one is a solicitor here OP.
    All advice is guesses and not legal advice.
    Boards do not allow legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd do nothing.

I'm no legal expert but imo they made the mistake of not running a history check prior to buying the car from you, a schoolboy error on their behalf given they are motor dealers whose profession is to buy and sell vehicles. Being experts in their field of buying and selling vehicles the onus would be on them to do due and proper diligence on any vehicle they take as a trade-in. They would also have to prove that you deliberately mislead them about the car's history which imo would be cancelled out by the fact that the history of the previous crash damage was easily available from a third party report which they didn't avail of prior to buying the car. Yes it's not a nice situation for them but the mistake was theirs, not yours.

They are trying to blow wind up your ass now by demanding another 1500 which I certainly wouldn't be giving them. You can probably forget about going back to them for any warranty work though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Betcha the dealer is a portakabin in a yard type of outfit who changes name every 12 months. I reckon they are chancing their arm trying to get money out of you.

Any dealer with a clue would do their check before a deal is done, and they wouldn't go back harassing a customer like this.

If they continue to contact you, report the harassment to the garda.

Betcha the dealer is a portakabin in a yard type of outfit who changes name every 12 months. I reckon they are chancing their arm trying to get money out of you.

Any dealer with a clue would do their check before a deal is done, and they wouldn't go back harassing a customer like this.

If they continue to contact you, report the harassment to the garda.

I’d block their number and move on with life. Up to them to do their homework. Surely they should do a basic set of checks before accepting a trade in. If not then their own look out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I’d block their number and move on with life. Up to them to do their homework. Surely they should do a basic set of checks before accepting a trade in. If not then their own look out

He can only do that if they've sent the logbook, if they still have it he have to go legal approach to get it.

pippip wrote: »
    He can only do that if they've sent the logbook, if they still have it he have to go legal approach to get it.

I don’t think the OP said either way did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I don’t think the OP said either way did they?

Not yet, wonder can they just ring tax office and see.

Either way I don't think the dealer has a leg to stand on unless they can prove the op knew, which they didn't. I certainly wouldn't be bringing car back or handing over any money but they have to sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Boogeyman123

Hey so just to clarify it was the car I traded in that they are saying was crashed. I didn't do a car tell when I originally bought it so I'm not sure. I did one before buying the car from them.

I have not recieved the log book so I am worried that they will withhold that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hey so just to clarify it was the car I traded in that they are saying was crashed. I didn't do a car tell when I originally bought it so I'm not sure. I did one before buying the car from them.

I have not recieved the log book so I am worried that they will withhold that.

Do one on your previous car, state you were not aware it was crashed once this is true....

Anything after that is up to you.

If they don't put VLC through you can go a different route to getting it and you have to sign affidavit to state this.

If you were aware then that's on you whether you facilitate them
    They should have checked previous to exchange to be honest and it does happen the best of us.

What are you thinking yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Do you have a receipt ?

It's not unusual for someone who isn't in the trade to buy a repaired car without noticing anything amiss.
    It is unusual for a dealer to walk himself into a situation like this.

Yeah I have a receipt and I also have a photocopy of the signed log book for the car I bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yeah I have a receipt and I also have a photocopy of the signed log book for the car I bought.

Well then I would say sit tight.
    Only a very foolish dealer would go to law over €1500 and make himself a laughing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What sort of dealer setup was it? What year was the car you traded in?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What sort of dealer setup was it? What year was the car you traded in?

It was fairly small. Portacabin in the corner and a yard that's about it.

It was a 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It was fairly small. Portacabin in the corner and a yard that's about it.

It was a 2010.

Area???

2010 is 9 years old or there about.

Be better off buyinf private at that age...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Car traded in was 2010 I’d day.

• Advertisement

Yeah car I traded in was 2010

Advertisement