Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
15-04-2019, 12:58   #1
Fuaranach
Registered User
 
Fuaranach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,174
Antisemitism rising sharply across Europe

Just came across this from Romania on the BBC this morning. Very disturbing stuff. Given how there are so few Jews left in the country, and eastern Europe generally, the mind boggles even more at how they can still target Jews. It must take great effort to find the handful of Jews left after the Holocaust and target them.

Having visited several Jewish museums in Poland, and Auschwitz, in the past year and learnt about the extirpation of entire villages, towns and cities of its Jewish population as recently as 75 years ago it's uniquely harrowing. All those photographs of vibrant communities and evidence of community life and in the space of a few years those centuries-old communities are exterminated forever. Some 3 million Jews, half of all Jews killed in the Holocaust, were Polish Jews. 90% of Poland's Jewish community were removed from this earth. The magnitude of this, and how recently it was, should make us worried about rises in antisemitism among local communities in Eastern Europe again. I would make distinctions between this and most (all?) of the French attacks in the sense that the latter seems to be from Arab Muslim communities, whereas this seems to have a deeper, indigenous origin. It's all antiseimitism of course, but there appear to be distinctions.

We all make a mistake if we think what the Nazis did could not happen again. It may not be Jews next time - simply because there wouldn't be enough of them - but there will unfortunately be populists in our societies who will always seek a scapegoat.

Antisemitism threatens Romania's fragile Jewish community (15 April 2019):

Quote:
Ugly scenes of smashed and toppled headstones at a Jewish cemetery in Romania have shocked the country's dwindling Jewish community and prompted international condemnation.

Vandals badly damaged 73 gravestones in the north-eastern town of Husi earlier this month, amid a surge in anti-Semitic attacks across Europe.... Before the war, Romania had one of the largest Jewish communities in Europe. Today it is a fraction of its original size and most of the community are elderly.

"In 20 years there will be no Jewish community in Targu Mures," predicts history teacher Gyuri Diamantstein. Aged 64, he is one of the youngest at the prayer service, attended by around 20 people.

"We are the last representatives of (Romania's) Jews - we are dying,
" he says.

The Husi cemetery attack occurred less than a year after the childhood home of Romanian Auschwitz survivor Elie Wiesel, a Nobel laureate who for decades fought against hatred, was defaced with anti-Semitic graffiti. The graffiti scrawled on his former home, now a museum, read: "Public toilet, anti-Semite paedophile" and "Nazi Jew lying in hell with Hitler." Romania is not alone in witnessing anti-Semitic attacks. France reported a 74% rise in violence against Jews last year, while German police recorded a 60% rise...
Loads more recent examples:


1. Anti-Semitism rising sharply across Europe, latest figures show (15 February 2019)

2. 'Hundreds' of US Jewish graves attacked in Philadelphia

3. 37 Tombstones Desecrated at Jewish Cemetery in France (NYT, December 2018)

4. Jewish cemetery vandalised in ‘horrible act of antisemitism’ in Greater Manchester (10 Feb. 2019)

5. The longest hatred: Anti-Semitism on the rise (9 December 2018)

Fuaranach is online now  
Advertisement
15-04-2019, 13:05   #2
Erik Shun
Registered User
 
Erik Shun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 211
Ah religion...the opiate of the masses and the mask behind which we hide our hatreds
Erik Shun is offline  
(4) thanks from:
15-04-2019, 13:07   #3
RWCNT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Shun View Post
Ah religion...the opiate of the masses and the mask behind which we hide our hatreds
What does your highly original observation have to do with anything in the OP?
RWCNT is offline  
15-04-2019, 13:11   #4
Berserker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 7,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Shun View Post
Ah religion...the opiate of the masses and the mask behind which we hide our hatreds
Say what? Modern day anti semitism is rooted in politics, not religion.
Berserker is offline  
15-04-2019, 13:14   #5
super_furry
Registered User
 
super_furry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 24,022
People are always looking for someone or something convinent to blame for their ****ty lives. It's horrible but with the rise of far right populism, Jewish people always seem to be in the firing line.
super_furry is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-04-2019, 13:18   #6
Erik Shun
Registered User
 
Erik Shun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Say what? Modern day anti semitism is rooted in politics, not religion.
The attacks in Herrlisheim had absolutely nothing to do with politics
Erik Shun is offline  
Thanks from:
15-04-2019, 13:30   #7
1641
Registered User
 
1641's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 385
Modern day anti-semitism is based on history and conspiracy theories.

Jewish people wouldn't convert and accept the "true religion" - therefore they were "christ killers". They continued on this tradition (allegedly) by stealing christian children and drinking their blood.

Jewish people weren't accepted into mainstream living - therefore they were "different","strange", "untrustworthy". They kept to themselves!

Jewish people were barred from owning land or the professions - they had to make a living from making things and trading. Therefore they were money-grabbers.

Banking and lending for money was banned as sinful for Christians up until the 16th century. People borrowed instead from Jews - therefore they were usurers who sucked out your money through interest.

Jewish people always had to be ready to flee when the next pogram began - therefore they are transient, strangers, foreigners, etc.

Things aren't going so well in society - crop failures, economic slump, war etc? Well blame the Jews - they are evil outsiders after all.

The "theories" and conspiracies change with time - but anti-semitism remains the same.
1641 is offline  
15-04-2019, 13:34   #8
Il Fascista
Registered User
 
Il Fascista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_furry View Post
People are always looking for someone or something convinent to blame for their ****ty lives. It's horrible but with the rise of far right populism, Jewish people always seem to be in the firing line.
Quote:
PARIS (Reuters) - A series of attacks across France in recent days has alarmed politicians and prompted calls for action against what some commentators describe as a new form of anti-Semitism among the far-left and Islamist preachers.

You're very disingenuous person. There's far more antisemitism from followers of Islam than there is from native Europeans.
Il Fascista is offline  
15-04-2019, 13:35   #9
Grayson
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 14,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Say what? Modern day anti semitism is rooted in politics, not religion.
Not quite. There's valid criticism of Israel as a state but that doesn't mean that antisemitism should naturally flow from it. The majority of jews in europe aren't even Israeli citizens.

I'd say most of the antisemitism that exists today, exists for the same reason it always has. And part of that is religion. For hundreds of years jews were portrayed as duplicitous and the killers of Jesus. It definitely still leads into western antisemitism.

Plus the same old tropes are used. The idea of a secret organisation controlling europe etc. And that even manages to spill into islamophobia. The idea that people like George Soros are trying to overrun europe with muslims. So that's a double whammy, the jews and the muslims are trying to destroy the west.

Antisemitism is weird, not just because it's stupid, but because it's also complex. The crap that feeds it is everything from religion, to the myth of cultural marxism to the state of israel and many other crazy bits and pieces.

So, I don't think anyone can say religion isn't involved. It's 100% in the mix. But I don't think anyone can say it's 100% the cause either.
Grayson is offline  
Advertisement
15-04-2019, 13:37   #10
Grayson
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 14,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Fascista View Post
You're very disingenuous person. There's far more antisemitism from followers of Islam than there is from native Europeans.
I guess we can trust an opinion about anti semitism from someone with that username
Grayson is offline  
15-04-2019, 13:38   #11
biko
Arbiter
 
biko's Avatar
I agree the rise of anti-semitism is very disturbing.
It seems to come from many directions too, the right, the left, the muslims, the conspiracy theorists.
Even people I know are "Jews did 911" which is causing some friction between us.
biko is offline  
15-04-2019, 13:41   #12
Grayson
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 14,091
I'm always amazed at how stupid antisemitism is. Ok, all racial discrimination is really but it's just that after the holocaust, after all the myths were shown to be lies, there's still people who support this crap.
Grayson is offline  
15-04-2019, 13:52   #13
Berserker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 7,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
So, I don't think anyone can say religion isn't involved. It's 100% in the mix. But I don't think anyone can say it's 100% the cause either.
If you are saying that it contributes in some subconscious manner then I can see your point. I have to disagree with you otherwise. If I opened a thread on this site, discussing the pros and cons of Judaism in 2019, I strongly doubt that we'd see a single post mentioning duplicity or killing Jesus. The modern day politics of Israel would dominate it.
Berserker is offline  
15-04-2019, 13:56   #14
TomSweeney
Registered User
 
TomSweeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Say what? Modern day anti semitism is rooted in politics, not religion.



Yeah - the politics of Islam
TomSweeney is offline  
15-04-2019, 14:03   #15
topper75
Registered User
 
topper75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSweeney View Post



Yeah - the politics of Islam
If the Romanian jews want to relocate here, they should be given priority as genuine cases ahead of the bogus element in our direct provision centres.
topper75 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet