Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antisemitism rising sharply across Europe

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Lmfao what a cesspool of a thread
    ‘Liberals are responsible for anti semitism!’

I really want to see the people who posts these in real life. And im guessing they’re the types you’d call lowlives and scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 13,269 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Pter wrote: »
    Mod

Substantiate this or dont come back into this thread.

https://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/277657/what-the-eu-survey-reveals-about-european-anti-semitism

A survey from the EU Agency on Fundamental rights.

That such a post as mine is even considered contentious at this stage is pretty amazing.

None so blind as ..., denial is not just...

That you had to ask is mind ****ing blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

PinotNero wrote: »
    I'm not denying any of that but saying only Muslims and the "Left" are the causes of modern anti-semitism is nonsense.
    Much of the anti-semitism in Eastern Europe is down to right wing ultra nationalist groups.
    In Western Europe there are many Neo-Nazi and fascist groups which are deeply hostile to Jews and Judaism.

The thing is that the neo nazi's in europe could be described as resurgent. So there were a few decades where it would have been far left groups that were mainly responsible.

However, in the last 10 years we have seen a resurgence in the far right. Pretty much all the anti semitism across eastern europe can be laid at their doorstep. The same can be said for places like the US.

There's been a lot off cross community cooperation between muslim and jewish religious leaders in many countries because the far right target both.

Absolutely not, but there is a significant part of the international pro-Israeli lobby that leaps to conflate criticism of Israeli policy with anti-Semitism.

There is and they really run with it, there is also a significant enough problem though of real antisemitism to give them never ending ammo and for the public to nod their head.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

PinotNero wrote: »
    I'm not denying any of that but saying only Muslims and the "Left" are the causes of modern anti-semitism is nonsense.
    Much of the anti-semitism in Eastern Europe is down to right wing ultra nationalist groups.
    In Western Europe there are many Neo-Nazi and fascist groups which are deeply hostile to Jews and Judaism.
    Sure, but the other poster didn't say causes, they said sources. Bit of a difference. They also said they were the two main sources, which I don't agree with. While antisemitism is a broad church across different politics it's generally more a hard right wing thing and while it was once very much Christian Islam has certainly caught up, particular in the largely secular countries of Europe.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Danzy wrote: »
    https://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/277657/what-the-eu-survey-reveals-about-european-anti-semitism

A survey from the EU Agency on Fundamental rights.

That such a post as mine is even considered contentious at this stage is pretty amazing.

None so blind as ..., denial is not just...

That you had to ask is mind ****ing blowing.

Mod

You think people shouldnt have to substantiate one liner comments in your posts? From your follow up, i can see you are capable of doing it, so were you just being lazy before?

Ill give you the benefit of the doubt on your veiled insults above, but cop yourself on going forward, wont you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭1641

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Lmfao what a cesspool of a thread
    ‘Liberals are responsible for anti semitism!’

I really want to see the people who posts these in real life. And im guessing they’re the types you’d call lowlives and scumbags

I haven't noticed anyone claiming this. Some have referenced the hard left, some the hard right, some islamic, and some all 3. I didn't notice the ones that claimed that Liberals are responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Human Stupidity: The Cancer of Existence.

Really wish people would stop believing all this conspiracy crap 99% of the time these days its just àssholes stiring shìt up. Jews hardly did anything most of the time its always said àssholes scapegoating to deflect from their own ****ups.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

1641 wrote: »
    I haven't noticed anyone claiming this. Some have referenced the hard left, some the hard right, some islamic, and some all 3. I didn't notice the ones that claimed that Liberals are responsible.

Ah yes, wordplay, the bastion of afterhours.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Ah yes, wordplay, the bastion of afterhours.
    or debate, though I can see how some might be confused. For fun and frolics please point out the posts where someone said "Liberals are responsible for anti semitism!", or just do the usual veiled and not so veiled insults at anyone who doesn't subscribe to your worldview.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Infini wrote: »
    Human Stupidity: The Cancer of Existence.

Really wish people would stop believing all this conspiracy crap 99% of the time these days its just àssholes stiring shìt up. Jews hardly did anything most of the time its always said àssholes scapegoating to deflect from their own ****ups.

And it's weird because of the three types that are mentioned here, they each have different causes. In some ways the left leaning ones have more incommon with the islamic ones. Until relatively recently there was next to no anti semitism against French jews by muslims. It has its roots in the geopolitical landscape more than religion. Not to say there aren't religious parts to it but it's mainly since the war on terror and the flare ups in the israel palestine conflict. They're not thinking of racial purity or any of the other conspiracy crap that the right wing believe in.

The same goes for the left. It's more grounded in the israeli palestinian conflict with a bit of conspiracy thrown in. It's all globalists type crap. But there's pretty much no religious aspect to it.

Whereas the right wing has everything from conspiracy theories about global domination and cultural marxism to racial purity. There's also christian overtones to a lot of it and you'll find a lot of the anti semites on the right believe they are protecting european/christian purity and values.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

markodaly wrote: »
    The fact that people equate Jewishness or Jews in general to Israel is a form of anti-Semitism.

There is no evidence that Jews are part of some hive mind.
    the problem with that argument is that anyone who voices concerns about Israeli government policy is inveriably accused of antisemitism.

so which is it?

the problem with that argument is that anyone who voices concerns about Israeli government policy is inveriably accused of antisemitism.

so which is it?
    It's a difficult one SC, because it often is antisemitism, so can be hard to tease it out. Never mind that it's politically advantageous for some in the Israeli government to always and immediately label it as antisemitic any time questions are raised about Israeli government policies.

Hell, I've seen it levelled at Jews if they raise questions. Well often it's twisted into "well, you don't understand because you don't live here"(if they don't) or they get described as "self hating". And there are quite the number of Jews inside Israel and across the rest of the world that do have concerns. They can be afraid to voice them though for obvious reasons. They don't want to add fuel to the fire of both Israeli government spin and antisemites. Rock --- them --- Hard place. Easier to remain silent.

Ill let one of the other mods step in to mod the thread and ill take part going forward.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    It's a difficult one SC, because it often is antisemitism, so can be hard to tease it out. Never mind that it's politically advantageous for some in the Israeli government to always and immediately label it as antisemitic any time questions are raised about Israeli government policies.

Hell, I've seen it levelled at Jews if they raise questions. Well often it's twisted into "well, you don't understand because you don't live here"(if they don't) or they get described as "self hating". And there are quite the number of Jews inside Israel and across the rest of the world that do have concerns. They can be afraid to voice them though for obvious reasons. They don't want to add fuel to the fire of both Israeli government spin and antisemites. Rock --- them --- Hard place. Easier to remain silent.

How can you possibly know the bolded bit?

In fact, you are presenting a lot of facts in the above post Wibbs - and for my education, at least, id love for you to show your sources rather than just hope we accept your word as sacrosanct.

How the heck can you suggest you know what Jews in Israel who are afraid to voice their concerns think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I get it when some people are criticising Israel or whatever but it always surprises me that people in Ireland have any opinion on Jewish people, I mean we are not really in contact with them and they seem harmless enough.

How can you possibly know the bolded bit?
    Are you honestly trying to suggest that criticism of Israel doesn't often mask antisemitic overtones? Really?

I get it when some people are criticising Israel or whatever but it always surprises me that people in Ireland have any opinion on Jewish people, I mean we are not really in contact with them and they seem harmless enough.
    There used to be more and Jews have a long history in Ireland, but there are a fair number of Irish Jews living here. A couple of thousand anyway, mostly in Dublin in fairness.

Are you honestly trying to suggest that criticism of Israel doesn't often mask antisemitic overtones? Really?

Im trying to understand how you can speak with the authority you are trying to speak with.

I, for one, am able to criticise Israel without being anti-Semitic, so i want to know how you know that it is often fueled by antisemitism.

I love Dara O'Brians joke about a jew in cork. He asked in a show what year it was in the jewish calendar and she answered "the jewish year of the rat".

I worked with an english jewish girl in Dublin. I said happy Hanukkah to her and she said "It's Hanukkah?". She and her family were not even vaguely religious. It was really just a kind of cultural thing.

Mod

You think people shouldnt have to substantiate one liner comments in your posts? From your follow up, i can see you are capable of doing it, so were you just being lazy before?

Ill give you the benefit of the doubt on your veiled insults above, but cop yourself on going forward, wont you?

It hardly seemed necessary to point out that the 2 biggest sources of antisemitism in Europe today emanate from the Left and Islam.

Suppose not all in this forum follow politics or the news.

They weren't insults veiled or otherwise.

• Advertisement

It hardly seemed necessary to point out that the 2 biggest sources of antisemitism in Europe today emanate from the Left and Islam.

Well i dont think your first point is true to be honest, as others have also pointed out.

I suppose not everyone else does, no.

Ok so.

In fact, you are presenting a lot of facts in the above post Wibbs - and for my education, at least, id love for you to show your sources rather than just hope we accept your word as sacrosanct.

How the heck can you suggest you know what Jews in Israel who are afraid to voice their concerns think?
    For your delectation and from the The New York Jewish Weekly speaking around this subject.

Bits of interest:

The broad brush of criticism often begins with the implication that diaspora Jews ought not to be questioning Israeli government statements AKA "well you don't live here" stuff I referenced above.

Where once a robust dialogue involving world Jewry and its Israel partners had been encouraged and nurtured, today many wish to impose a veil of silence. "veil of silence" AKA Easier to stay silent stuff that I also referenced.

"Sacrosanct" enough for you? This is hardly news BTW, this kinda dialogue has been going on for decades within the wider world Jewish community and within Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Can you show this? What left wing country clubs do you know that refuse people of the Jewish faith membership?
    The blaming it all on the left is a ruse. The whole point of 'the left' is equality. Of course there are extremes as with everything.

"Sacrosanct" enough for you? This is hardly news BTW, this kinda dialogue has been going on for decades within the wider world Jewish community and within Israel.

Your opinions are never too important or valuable to be interefered with, Wibbs. Noones are, tbh.

Thank you for the source. Ill read it and learn something beyond your opinion on the matter, now.

Im trying to understand how you can speak with the authority you are trying to speak with.

I, for one, am able to criticise Israel without being anti-Semitic, so i want to know how you know that it is often fueled by antisemitism.
    Oh well that's just brilliant logic there. You can criticise Israel and not be anti semitic, so it naturally follows it can't be fuelled by anti semitism in others. Again, Really? As a Yiddish speaker might say to that; Oy vey.

Oh well that's just brilliant logic there. You can criticise Israel and not be anti semitic, so it naturally follows it can't be fuelled by anti semitism in others. Again, Really? As a Yiddish speaker might say to that; Oy vey.

Thats not my logic at all and i hope you know that and are just being facetious.

If its possible for me to not be anti-semitic, its possible for others to as well. Im asking you to dispel that possibility with something other than your sayso.

You accused another in this thread of not liking an alternative viewpoint. Im actually just trying to explore yours and you dont seem happy about it, nor actually willing to engage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

1641 wrote: »
    Yes, Israel can go overboard with the anti semitism defence. But they are confronting an enemy in Hamas who are blatantly anti semite and who seem little interested in peace. I am not equating Hamas with all Palestinian people, or even all Palestinian people in Gaza. Hamas will tolerate no dissenting views.
    It is strange that no anti Israelis call out the treatment of indiginous Jewish people in Arab lands after 1948. The pograms there are ignored, and the forced eviction . How would Jews be treated there now? Better or worse than Arabs in Israel?
    Israel can rightly be criticised. But it is complex situation with wrong on both sides. Is a lot of the one-sided criticism of Israel not an out-growth of anti semitism?
    And the actions of Israel reflect on Israel , not Jews in general or the "Jewish faith".

Do you think Hamas would be 'blatantly anti semite' if Palestinians weren't persecuted and murdered by the Israeli state?
    No. You'll find critisism of Israel goes beyond, 'they look shifty'.
    Tell that to BibI.
    Of course it is growing. And in some instances, it is being supported tacitly by politicians.

Look at the Labour Party in the UK? Riven with Anti-Semitism that "Dear Leader" refuses to deal with. He had the chance years ago to get tough and nip it in the bud but chose to whitewash it by commissioning the Sham(i) Report that spent more time moaning about Islamophobia than Anti-Semitism!

Show one example.

Your opinions are never too important or valuable to be interefered with, Wibbs. Noones are, tbh.
    Who said they were Ted? :confused: Though one would hope for better "interference" than is all too often on display.
    Thank you for the source. Ill read it and learn something beyond your opinion on the matter, now.
    It might help. Oh and if you do some more googling you'll tend to find my opinions tend to be based on those pesky things called facts. Most pretty universally known facts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Can you show this? What left wing country clubs do you know that refuse people of the Jewish faith membership?
    The blaming it all on the left is a ruse. The whole point of 'the left' is equality. Of course there are extremes as with everything.

They provided a source a page or two back. I have some misgivings with it, but it's there.

• Advertisement

Who said they were Ted? :confused: Though one would hope for better "interference" than is all too often on display.

It might help. Oh and if you do some more googling you'll tend to find my opinions tend to be based on those pesky things called facts. Most pretty universally known facts too.

This post is just heaps of petty Wibbs. Im trying to discuss this with you and your last couple of posts have been of the level you seem to be criticising me of in this quoted post.

Advertisement