Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-04-2019, 22:28   #16

My aunt has been single for most of her life and I'd definitely describe her as happy. She has a good social life and she's always on holidays. We joke that she goes away that much she's going to meet herself in the airport one day on the way back

I think you should just try your best to enjoy life in general. Obviously it has it's ups and downs. If you're happy and single and you do happen to meet someone then you will want to be in a relationship with them rather than feel you need too.
Advertisement
02-04-2019, 22:29   #17
TomasMacR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelli! View Post
My aunt has been single for most of her life and I'd definitely describe her as happy. She has a good social life and she's always on holidays. We joke that she goes away that much she's going to meet herself in the airport one day on the way back

I think you should just try your best to enjoy life in general. Obviously it has it's ups and downs. If you're happy and single and you do happen to meet someone then you will want to be in a relationship with them rather than feel you need too.
How many cats does she own?
02-04-2019, 22:30   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomasMacR View Post
How many cats does she own?
Zero!
02-04-2019, 22:37   #19
TomasMacR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buried View Post
Yes. Yes I do enjoy it. Would like to be with someone but the rural area I live in its difficult to get any sort of new relationship going. I love living out in the wild countryside but at the same time I also like listening to electronic music that sounds like a drone computer is eating/$hitting itself alive, I love to read books about the history of the world that concerns the most weird and darkest occult aspects of it. That's my craic. But that sort of craic don't exactly fly if you go out on a first date here and a lady asks ya - "So, what sort of stuff are you into?"
Unless you enjoy listening to Nathan Carter and watching 'Dancing with the Canteen staff of RTE' out here, prepare to enjoy being single. And as long as I can listen to the sounds of a computer $hitting itself alive, those sounds turned up to 11 at 1am of a Friday night, then get up the next morning spending the day reading about the history of witchcraft drinking coffee and eating a rasher sandwich, I'm going to continue to enjoy the Hell out of it.
Have you been on First Dates Ireland yet? They'd snap you up.
(2) thanks from:
02-04-2019, 22:38   #20
FTA69

I had bought a house with my ex-partner and we split last week. Now I live in a converted warehouse with loads of alternative types. They look like a bunch of scruffs but most of them are actually fairly sound and good craic and I’m someone who f*cking hates hippies.

Being single has its benefits and its drawbacks. It’s that simple really. The adjustment of leaving a long term relationship is very hard but also it’s thrilling to be going out meeting new people, doing new stuff etc. Being 31 and single in London and going out regularly is the business.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-04-2019, 22:39   #21
Purple Mountain

We should start our own little club!
I'm late 30s and am completely blissful being single.
I'm a bit of a cheat though, I was engaged and have a 12yo from that so I'm in no panic over a biological clock.
It would give me heebegeebees getting into a relationship now.
I love my space, my independence and I get a great balance with my friends and my child.
I have enough friends to go away for a weekend with but sometimes they're not always available because they have partners or young babies but then again I'm not one to be going somewhere every week.
In an ideal world, I wouldn't mind a part time boyfriend, someone to go out with once a week or holiday with but I'd never give up my independent living or want a husband!
02-04-2019, 22:41   #22
buried

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomasMacR View Post
Have you been on First Dates Ireland yet? They'd snap you up.
They couldn't afford my rasher sandwich requirements man. Yer TV licence would have to go up a good 20% to get me go on that mess
(2) thanks from:
02-04-2019, 22:47   #23
This is it

It has it's pros and cons. While I can do most things when single, some things are just better when you have someone to share them with. I'm happy being single, with the right person I'd also be happy in a relationship.

Also, saving for a mortgage on your own is a bîtch.
02-04-2019, 22:48   #24
blergh

I enjoyed being single or in very casual relationships a lot more than I enjoyed being in serious relationships - with the exception of the one with my wife. Most serious relationships are a bit ****.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-04-2019, 22:48   #25
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
Good question AC... Hmmm, kinda six of one, half dozen of the other for me. I've loved been in a good relationship, grew to hate being in a bad one. Been happy out single too. It depends. I do remember with one ex we temporarily split up and on the one hand I was all forlorn and bereft conjuring bad poetry while looking into a gale, and on the other hand a large part of me exhaled and relaxed as I was no longer dealing with her all too regular emotionals. The forlorn part won the battle temporarily as the "love" bit was still running strong, but after a reconciliation the relaxed part won the war(though the love bit kept niggling for a while, more built on the fantasy of all that).

I certainly did find down the years that where once I was much more open and engaging with the emotional ups and downs, as I got older that got really bloody old really bloody quickly.
Finding the right relationship is the tricky bit. Needs a fair bit of luck as well IMO. Spot on of course. I'd love to meet someone but at the same time might as well crack on with things I want to do.
(3) thanks from:
02-04-2019, 22:54   #26
Lady Haywire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buried View Post
Yes. Yes I do enjoy it. Would like to be with someone but the rural area I live in its difficult to get any sort of new relationship going. I love living out in the wild countryside but at the same time I also like listening to electronic music that sounds like a drone computer is eating/$hitting itself alive, I love to read books about the history of the world that concerns the most weird and darkest occult aspects of it. That's my craic. But that sort of craic don't exactly fly if you go out on a first date here and a lady asks ya - "So, what sort of stuff are you into?"
Unless you enjoy listening to Nathan Carter and watching 'Dancing with the Canteen staff of RTE' out here, prepare to enjoy being single. And as long as I can listen to the sounds of a computer $hitting itself alive, those sounds turned up to 11 at 1am of a Friday night, then get up the next morning spending the day reading about the history of witchcraft drinking coffee and eating a rasher sandwich, I'm going to continue to enjoy the Hell out of it.
I'm 95% sure you're someone who lives about 800m across the way from me. And if you're not you should meet him.
02-04-2019, 23:02   #27
TomasMacR
Banned

I'm with someone what I would consider a very long time (13 years), kids etc. Everything going well enough, I think. No rows of any importance, good companionship, we do whatever we can to spend time with one another etc.

What scares me to death are not only the stuff on TV but friends of our parents who have after 40 odd years of marriage that have packed it in with their respective other. I know there was a previous generational issue with spouses putting up with one another for financial and social pressures but I'm more talking about the two people that you hear about in their twilight years that decide to part and remain best friends.
02-04-2019, 23:07   #28
Mad_maxx

Men are better off single, women have all the power in marriages nowadays
02-04-2019, 23:38   #29
Sorry about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_maxx View Post
Men are better off single, women have all the power in marriages nowadays
Except for the ones who don't.
(2) thanks from:
02-04-2019, 23:46   #30
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry about that View Post
Except for the ones who don't.
If things don't work out, who is hit hardest, who does the state side with?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion