Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Sure why would she go anywhere? She's getting 250k+ a year to run a company into the ground with no requirement for oversight or checks and balances. And the 2 photos in that article are like an after and a before for photoshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

retalivity wrote: »
    And the 2 photos in that article are like an after and a before for photoshop.

Hahaha never noticed that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

The salaries of the presenters and sending off countless people to events like the Eurovision have been touted many times as wastes of money in RTE. What is less mentioned are a lot of the crappy programmes made. These when considered alone are cheap to make and give RTE fodder they can repeat over and over. Taken as a whole, they are very expensive. The likes of Pulling With My Parents, Wingman, Room To Improve and Fertility Shock are some recent examples. There have been countless one off shows with the likes of Francis Brennan, Keith Barry, Dermot Bannon, etc. too and I am sure NONE of these presenters come cheap either. When taken together, all these add up and add up to a lot of money wasted.

Money was also wasted on expensive but ultimately poor dramas like Rebellion and Taken Down. When compared to what others were making during the same time such as Peaky Blinders, The Handmaid's Tale, Better Call Saul. Killing Eve and Game of Thrones, these simply were not up to scratch. RTE's poor dramas have been put on DVD but how many have purchased their copies of Rebellion, Taken Down or Striking Out I wonder? All this waste of money is why RTE are where they are.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Well the paintings are going under the hammer today in London!!

Any bets what they’ll get? Anywhere between €300-€600k? Higher? Lower?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Money was also wasted on expensive but ultimately poor dramas like Rebellion and Taken Down. When compared to what others were making during the same time such as Peaky Blinders, The Handmaid's Tale, Better Call Saul. Killing Eve and Game of Thrones, these simply were not up to scratch. RTE's poor dramas have been put on DVD but how many have purchased their copies of Rebellion, Taken Down or Striking Out I wonder? All this waste of money is why RTE are where they are.

The budget of one episode of the non rte dramas mentioned above would be many multiple of the total budget for all eyes yearly drama budget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The budget of one episode of the non rte dramas mentioned above would be many multiple of the total budget for all eyes yearly drama budget

Yeah it is crazy to expect the highest of quality drama from any producer. Plenty of mediocrity coming during that time from the America and England that don't have a patch on Rebellion and Taken Down.
    Peaky Blinders, The Handmaid's Tale, Better Call Saul. Killing Eve and Game of Thrones

I was dissapointed by Better Call Saul. I never got into Game of Thrones. Peaky Blinders looks good but yet to get to it fully, The Handmaid's Tale wouldn't be for me, nor would Killing Eve.

Not saying I was watching Grey's Anatomy or any Shaundaland rubbish, watched the first episode of The Good Doctor and thought good god. The DC set of comedy dramas from the CW, badly acted, badly written and often not funny. All being produced on the budget that RTÉ give to Drama.

The issue is that RTÉ aren't producing as many Drama as they once where, RTÉ have gone from spending 40m on drama in the 2000s to 25m on drama in the 2010s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Elmo wrote: »
    Yeah it is crazy to expect the highest of quality drama from any producer. Plenty of mediocrity coming during that time from the America and England that don't have a patch on Rebellion and Taken Down.

I was dissapointed by Better Call Saul. I never got into Game of Thrones. Peaky Blinders looks good but yet to get to it fully, The Handmaid's Tale wouldn't be for me, nor would Killing Eve.

Not saying I was watching Grey's Anatomy or any Shaundaland rubbish, watched the first episode of The Good Doctor and thought good god. The DC set of comedy dramas from the CW, badly acted, badly written and often not funny. All being produced on the budget that RTÉ give to Drama.

The issue is that RTÉ aren't producing as many Drama as they once where, RTÉ have gone from spending 40m on drama in the 2000s to 25m on drama in the 2010s.

I never got into Breaking Bad, or BCS. Just stopped watching a lot of TV, tbh. Game of Thrones started to dip around Season 5, the rest was poor, and then the final season killed it. Handmaid's Tale should have ended after one season-once they tried to 'add' to the book, it was ridiculous.

Yeah, the Shondaland shows are soap operas with a bigger budget-I miss the days of medical dramas where you spent the majority of the show in the hospital, but got the best damn drama out of it. (ER for example. Even All Saints, that New Zealand or Australian medical drama).
    I find the likes of Grey's Anatomy a slog to get through-and that's just one episode.

Jesus-have they really cut down that much? And you know that 25 million in 2010's money won't go as far as 25 million in 2000's would have. Probably have tighter shooting schedules too-because if the budget is smaller, they'll probably have to have everything done a lot quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Marcos

The salaries of the presenters and sending off countless people to events like the Eurovision have been touted many times as wastes of money in RTE. What is less mentioned are a lot of the crappy programmes made. These when considered alone are cheap to make and give RTE fodder they can repeat over and over. Taken as a whole, they are very expensive. The likes of Pulling With My Parents, Wingman, Room To Improve and Fertility Shock are some recent examples. There have been countless one off shows with the likes of Francis Brennan, Keith Barry, Dermot Bannon, etc. too and I am sure NONE of these presenters come cheap either. When taken together, all these add up and add up to a lot of money wasted.

Well take a look at all the talent represented by NK management and see how many of them appear on RTE regularly. I bet even the ones that don't have their own programmes appear on the likes of the Late Late etc.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Marcos wrote: »
    Well take a look at all the talent represented by NK management and see how many of them appear on RTE regularly. I bet even the ones that don't have their own programmes appear on the likes of the Late Late etc.

I just don't know what it is, I think its Ryan Tuberity. That An Post Book awards ad, we're all a bit of a novel .... oh **** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Fair point, but Better call Saul is as basic as you can get for a drama. An office, some locations. We could recreate something similar for cheap enough.

• Advertisement

I'm very sure when Lottie Ryan caught her 'break' this was a major factor.
    It's how these big agencies work. Give such and such a spot and I'll send over the other fella. Sad thing is this is a monopoly of the mundane keeping out any unknown, unconnected talent.

Fair point, but Better call Saul is as basic as you can get for a drama. An office, some locations. We could recreate something similar for cheap enough.

never understood RTÉ's opposition to an Irish version of something like Law & Order. Your talking Murder scene, interrogation room, office, court room.

never understood RTÉ's opposition to an Irish version of something like Law & Order. Your talking Murder scene, interrogation room, office, court room.

They don't have the talent in house and would rather do something else than bring in outsiders. I've had dealings with one of their Drama commissioners. It can be a total one person vetting process, that's if you've an in to be vetted in the first place. Like most RTE folk their credentials consist of having gotten a job in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

Well take a look at all the talent represented by NK management and see how many of them appear on RTE regularly. I bet even the ones that don't have their own programes appear on the likes of the Late Late etc.

this is kinda what ive been banging on about for years - the same overpaid faces, or so called "it" ppl, same old shows, junk reality irish tv etc and chat shows. merry go round.

RTE its a closed shop and guaranteed earner for socialites and their entourage . its noting but repugnant, sloth type money waste, we dont need rte, full stop mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Or what about something like midsummer murders, Vera, Lewis or endeavour or doc Martin.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Well the paintings are going under the hammer today in London!!

Any bets what they’ll get? Anywhere between €300-€600k? Higher? Lower?

they got €195k in total.

2 of the paintings didn't even sell

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

they got €195k in total.

Says it all really about whats wrong with RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭elperello

VinLieger wrote: »
    Says it all really about whats wrong with RTE

I am glad they didn't sell because I don't believe selling things off is the answer to their problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jelutong

They could always put Joe,Tubs and Ray on the transfer market. That would bring in a tidy penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭facehugger99

they got €195k in total.

So enough to almost pay 7 months of Dee Forbes salary and allowances.

What a fcuking joke of an organisation.

• Advertisement

So enough to almost pay 7 months of Dee Forbes salary and allowances.

What a fcuking joke of an organisation.

And allowance pish awh more like 5 months and a half.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If a show is well written (like BCS) it doesn't have to be expensive . RTE keep commission badly written shows though and keep commissioning shows by the same bad writers.

Amy Huberman, Alison Spittle and a few others are nicking a living through rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Weepsie wrote: »
    If a show is well written (like BCS) it doesn't have to be expensive . RTE keep commission badly written shows though and keep commissioning shows by the same bad writers.

Amy Huberman, Alison Spittle and a few others are nicking a living through rte.

RTE have given both of them more than a good leg up. If they can't make it in the real world by now they should give up.

I know of with a producer on TG4. He use to write, produce and direct his own show, (might still do). There was no oversight. He literally had his own tax payer funded hobby. Again his only credentials were he had gotten a job in RTE.

I know of with a producer on TG4. He use to write, produce and direct his own show, (might still do). There was no oversight. He literally had his own tax payer funded hobby. Again his only credentials were he had gotten a job in RTE.

I assume its their Comhra programme? Otherwise all most everything is Independently produced for TG4, with the exception of RTÉ's programmes on the channel such as An Nuacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Was it good content?

elperello wrote: »
    Was it good content?

It was not. It was an Irish language sketch show. I forget the name. Many years ago. I mean we'd all have heard of it if it were any good.

It was not. It was an Irish language sketch show. I forget the name. Many years ago. I mean we'd all have heard of it if it were any good.

RíRá? not really a sketch show. I need to know lol.

Anyway Tubs won't be found wanting, his audience will on the other hand, suppose when a 15% cut means you have to live of 420,000 per year you wouldn't want to be found wanting!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

they got €195k in total.

Why has no-one asked them why the hell they are collecting art in the first place? How is that within their public service remit? :mad:

• Advertisement

Why has no-one asked them why the hell they are collecting art in the first place? How is that within their public service remit? :mad:

All public buildings have to provide 1% of their cost to Art.

https://www.thejournal.ie/central-bank-approves-sculpture-4799737-Sep2019/
    In line with planning requirements, the Central Bank agreed with Dublin City Council to commission an artwork for the public space directly outside the campus on North Wall Quay.

Following submissions through an invited competition, and subsequent procurement process, it was decided to commission a sculpture by the artist Eva Rothschild entitled ‘A Double Rainbow’. Planning permission for this artwork was submitted to Dublin City Council on 2 May 2019.

The artist’s fee will come to €70,000 and design and build costs will come to approx. €250,000. Ms Rothschild currently represents Ireland at the 58th Venice Art Biennale.

https://www.centralbank.ie/images/default-source/about/docklands-campus/public-art-testimonial-756x292px.jpg?sfvrsn=4

If I was a conspiracy theorist on that commission from the central bank of Ireland to an artist named Rothchild. :eek:

Advertisement