Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

elperello wrote: »
    I think one has to actually watch a TV show to get it all in context rather than base an opinion on tweets and clips.

I accept that makes me old fashioned but there you are.

I don't get the current fad for referring to any item on TV that is based on the sadder side of life as "misery".

As you say fair play to the kids, it's their gig anyway.

So wait your telling me that me by not watching one episode last night, but having grown up with the toy show, and seen it on multiple occasions as an adult, I can’t express an opinion on some of the clips that I have seen since? Also all of the tweets that I saw were clearly amazed by the show and were very positive.

But you can take my misery comment out of context?

Let me restate: like most Irish TV chat show the toy show seems to have ultimately become misery dressed as entertainment.

Again that criticism is not on the children, who as I say were in RTÉ since 12 that day, or any other guests that appear on TLLS or the Ray D’Arcy Show to tell their stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Elmo wrote: »
    So wait your telling me that me by not watching one episode last night, but having grown up with the toy show, and seen it on multiple occasions as an adult, I can’t express an opinion on some of the clips that I have seen since? Also all of the tweets that I saw were clearly amazed by the show and were very positive.

But you can take my misery comment out of context?

Let me restate: like most Irish TV chat show the toy show seems to have ultimately become misery dressed as entertainment.

Again that criticism is not on the children, who as I say were in RTÉ since 12 that day, or any other guests that appear on TLLS or the Ray D’Arcy Show to tell their stories.

Just to make this completely clear you are of course entitled to express an opinion.
    Different points of view are what makes this place interesting.
    However in taking on board your opinion I will balance it with the knowledge that you didn't actually watch the show.

I didn't mean to take your "misery" comment out of context.

I feel that sadder topics are part of life. People who have had to deal with tragedy and adversity have a lot to teach us about life. If it is ok for those people to tell their stories it is ok for RTE to facilitate them.

Again as I said, fair play to the kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Yeah I am surprised by the twitteraty tonight. Oh he’s so good with the children.

From the sounds of Twitter it’s a children’s version of the main show, misery dressed as entertainment.

Does Twitter make sounds now?

Maybe its the sound of a load of gobs**ts who have no life :p:p:p:p

P.S. Im an influencer :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

What is annoying, kids want to watch you show so stuck on RTÉ player On tv....4 advertisements later, it finally comes on all blurry but finally clears up

The 2-3 mins of advertisement where perfect....the 2 year old screaming the house down waiting for it to go off wasn’t good

• Advertisement

F**king piece of sh*t works for 5 mins....then stops.....then back to 2-3 mins of the same f**king ads

I feel that sadder topics are part of life. People who have had to deal with tragedy and adversity have a lot to teach us about life. If it is ok for those people to tell their stories it is ok for RTE to facilitate them.

I agree but that’s also my point that both chat shows have become less about entertainment and more about tragedy, and that goes for most other Irish chat shows, I am not saying that they shouldn’t do this I am saying that this is what they have become.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I agree but that’s also my point that both chat shows have become less about entertainment and more about tragedy, and that goes for most other Irish chat shows, I am not saying that they shouldn’t do this I am saying that this is what they have become.

I guess there is a balance and that is tricky to find
    I think it is important that the sadness in peoples lives is not exploited or turned into entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I guess there is a balance and that is tricky to find
    I think it is important that the sadness in peoples lives is not exploited or turned into entertainment.

LLS and various other shows on RTE think the misery is the entertainment that people want, not that they ever asked the people
    There is a time and place for the misery slots and prime time tv is not it
    RTÉ have this constant flailing attitude towards entertainment and that everyone wants to endure it, no we don't

I think one of the main reasons the lls is like it is its because no stars want to be on the show yet they would be queueing up to be on the gns because...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    F**king piece of sh*t works for 5 mins....then stops.....then back to 2-3 mins of the same f**king ads

I don't have an aerial, just a satellite dish for the English channels so when there is the occasional thing I want to watch live on RTE I try the player in the hope it might be fixed since the last time I tried.

The last Ireland football game I gave up and had to find a dodgy stream which worked perfectly! Some lad with a PC in his bedroom can do better than a company with a multi million budget says it all! I really resent paying the 160 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I don't have an aerial, just a satellite dish for the English channels so when there is the occasional thing I want to watch live on RTE I try the player in the hope it might be fixed since the last time I tried.

The last Ireland football game I gave up and had to find a dodgy stream which worked perfectly! Some lad with a PC in his bedroom can do better than a company with a multi million budget says it all! I really resent paying the 160 quid.

Is there some sort of unofficial website to stream or download the toy show from? The Mrs is trying to use the rte player, and it's giving all the usual problems. I assume since I pay the rte subscription I'm entitled to use the alternate sources.

So anyway just to further my utter dislike of Mr Tubs
    as overwhelming as it has been humbling

Uhhh smarmy sycophantic claptrap.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Is there some sort of unofficial website to stream or download the toy show from? The Mrs is trying to use the rte player, and it's giving all the usual problems. I assume since I pay the rte subscription I'm entitled to use the alternate sources.

Loads but not for discussion on boards......

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If you have Sky+ you can use it to download and watch RTÉ iPlayer shows, and it works perfectly (because it's not RTÉ's platform).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Dee is out this morning banging the drum at an oireachtas committee again this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,130 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

As usual banging all the wrong drums.

The biggest heaviest drum that needs banging is pay of the so called ‘stars’!

She just might have some public support if that drum gets a good bang, otherwise zero chance.

And that drum needs a good heavy whack, not a token tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

As usual banging all the wrong drums.

The biggest heaviest drum that needs banging is pay of the so called ‘stars’!

She just might have some public support if that drum gets a good bang, otherwise zero chance.

And that drum needs a good heavy whack, not a token tap.

Clean headshot there Benny...asking the hard pressed punter for a license increase while shovelling moolah just south of half a million to some so called "Stars" will never get traction.

Until they realise that ......nothin will change ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Theyre going to get another 10m apparently. Enought to grease the wheels til after an election and an unpopular decision can be made with little consequence

retalivity wrote: »
    Theyre going to get another 10m apparently. Enought to grease the wheels til after an election and an unpopular decision can be made with little consequence

The government were going to give them 10 million from the Social Protection fund but back away from that in this budget.

However the government have already agreed to give them an increase by taking the responsibility for the NSO away from RTÉ in 2020, in effect giving RTÉ around a €7m increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,143 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We often hear the likes of Tubs, Joe Duffy and Darcy are worth their massive salaries because they bring in massive advertising revenue.

I heard Ryan's show yesterday in the car. The first break had 3 adverts.
    1st for the licence fee
    2nd for the undertaker show on rte
    3rd for the Sean O'Rourke show.

Yeah that break was worthwhile for raising money for rte!

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    We often hear the likes of Tubs, Joe Duffy and Darcy are worth their massive salaries because they bring in massive advertising revenue.

I heard Ryan's show yesterday in the car. The first break had 3 adverts.
    1st for the licence fee
    2nd for the undertaker show on rte
    3rd for the Sean O'Rourke show.

Yeah that break was worthwhile for raising money for rte!

That argument NI is the greatest load of crap from RTE, that they have been peddling for ages.

The argument that their top ‘stars’ would be ‘poached’ for the salaries and conditions they have at RTE is totally ridiculous.

Pat Kenny left and the Sky didn’t fall down.

Tubs and D’arcy don’t draw advertising per se from their own ‘popularity’ and charisma.

The slot dictates the attractiveness of ad placing to a huge percentage.

Duffy in fairness does attract a bit of a personal draw but not enough to justify his outrageous wedge.

RTE can’t have an election quick enough to get a new lot in who might be more amenable to wasting more taxpayers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Dee reckons that the licence fee is good value compared to what other competitors like Netflix are offering.

What planet is she on? RTÉ continues to serve up subpar content at an extortionate cost to the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

RTE can’t have an election quick enough to get a new lot in who might be more amenable to wasting more taxpayers money.

I reckon they're holding out for an FF-led government that will fast-track a reformed/increased licence fee, and they're likely to get their wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dee reckons that the licence fee is good value compared to what other competitors like Netflix are offering.

What planet is she on? RTÉ continues to serve up subpar content at an extortionate cost to the taxpayer.

Did she actually name netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Did she actually name netflix?

Yeah, It was mentioned on Virgin Media news there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I reckon they're holding out for an FF-led government that will fast-track a reformed/increased licence fee, and they're likely to get their wish.

Just realised that the Director of 'Strategy' at RTE is the current Tanaiste's brother.
    There's plenty of strokes being pulled/to be pulled yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Just watched Dee Forbes getting told off by Timmy Dooley. She's handling the fool well. Clearly, Timmy's short memory about messing about with votes in the House has slipped his mind. Kate O'Connell is lashing RTE about the pay for stars while clearly forgetting her own unvouched expenses as a TD and her double jobbing as a pharmacy owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Let's see if the recent tone when adressing the myriad societal problems will adjust now tbe top 10 salaries are saved.

• Advertisement

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Just watched Dee Forbes getting told off by Timmy Dooley. She's handling the fool well. Clearly, Timmy's short memory about messing about with votes in the House has slipped his mind. Kate O'Connell is lashing RTE about the pay for stars while clearly forgetting her own unvouched expenses as a TD and her double jobbing as a pharmacy owner.

So it’s open season on the taxpayer now, is it.

Why not, all pile in and sink their snouts deep into the trough.

Hmm....

Advertisement