Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freemasons

Options
  • 05-09-2019 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭

What is this bunch all about ? What do you gain from becoming a freemason ? Are they all a bunch of Wally's with secret handshakes doing eachother favours ?

Anyone here considered joining ? I'm not interested myself but supposedly there are people from high walks of life in Ireland participating. Wasn't there some Irish government officials members of them in the 1990s ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Nothing more than a charitable social club with some theatrical work thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Dr Strange wrote: »
    Nothing more than a charitable social club with some theatrical work thrown in.
    Just for tax purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Old boys' club. A secret network to gain influence and social advantage. A relative was a senior member a long time ago but left because it was too corrupt apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Oh wee oh
    Wee ohhhh

A refuge from the wife/girlfriend, apparently. I prefer the local.

• Advertisement

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Decent chaps. They do charity without looking for Facebook likes.
    Might help each other out when it comes to business opportunities but mainly social and charitable and classy.
    If you hear of an anonymous donation or act of some kind there’s a good chance it was George Michael or a Freemason.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,424 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Who keeps Atlantis off the maps?
    Who keeps the Martians under wraps? We do. We do.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bilderberg group is where the action is at now. But you have to be a lizard.

Or is it the Stonecutters. I get confused.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,486 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

BDI wrote: »
    Decent chaps. They do charity without looking for Facebook likes.
    Might help each other out when it comes to business opportunities but mainly social and charitable and classy.
    If you hear of an anonymous donation or act of some kind there’s a good chance it was George Michael or a Freemason.

George Michael?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

giphy.gif

George Michael?

He also was charity mad on the sly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,209 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

George Michael?
    He gave a tonne of money to charity anonymously apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

mondeo wrote: »
    Anyone here considered joining ? I'm not interested myself but supposedly there are people from high walks of life in Ireland participating. Wasn't there some Irish government officials members of them in the 1990s ?

Actually in 1990s Dublin I thought you needed to be a regular in Dohenys and Nesbitts.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,538 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Feel free to read the most recent thread on the freemasons.

The repetition is a bit too....

Repetitive ;) for my liking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

gmisk wrote: »
    He gave a tonne of money to charity anonymously apparently

If he gave the money anonymously, how is it known that it was him ?

Back to the Freemasons, I believe they celebrate Christmas by killing two camels and eating a tub of butter.

He also was charity mad on the sly.

It just read like he might still be doing it. That's be very impressive indeed.

It just read like he might still be doing it. That's be very impressive indeed.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he set it up that he is. There’s probably a George Michael foundation or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,097 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

A conservative/republican/fianna fail club but without the politics (or their own politics).

And orgies.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

A conservative/republican/fianna fail club but without the politics (or their own politics).

And orgies.

With or without the orgies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,209 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

If he gave the money anonymously, how is it known that it was him ?

Back to the Freemasons, I believe they celebrate Christmas by killing two camels and eating a tub of butter.
    I think a lot of the info only came out from friends and family etc after he had died.
    Some more details
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/celebrity-news/george-michaels-secret-charity-work-13770168.amp

I wouldn’t be surprised if he set it up that he is. There’s probably a George Michael foundation or something.

I remember details were made public after his death, so he might have included donations of royalties etc. in his will.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Lizard people!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Dunno much about them but Rain down love is a great tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Wonder what the secret handshake is ? Surely someone spilled the beans on that one.

Wonder what the secret handshake is ? Surely someone spilled the beans on that one.

In a thread with George Michael being discussed and you bring up spilling beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

fdHDDoU.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

People have this ridiculously outdated “view” of the Masons. It’s just a social club, like any other.

They do a lot of charitable work and serve the community. Similar to the “Lions Club”, in a way.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

In a thread with George Michael being discussed and you bring up spilling beans.

Because he was a bachelor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

There are various handshakes known as “grips”, you are shown different grips as you progress through the ranks. This came from when stone masons could not read or write so would not have papers to show their qualifications, they would instead be shown grips so that when they went to a new site they could prove they were an apprentice, master mason etc.

Advertisement