Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do junkies always walk out in front of traffic?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

I had a look at the Social Welfare site, and the information there conflicts with a lot of what you said. Nowhere does it say that a drug addict qualifies. If they are in receipt of certain SW allowances, they could apply, but not simply on the basis of their addiction.

Was there anything there about free buggies though?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,490 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Tammy! wrote: »
    Was there anything there about free buggies though?

There's a limit of three a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

To get to the others side man !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

What freebies do they get ?

Free methadone and every other kind of tabs they can get their hands on so they can sell outside Christchurch.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

14dMoney wrote: »
    I've noticed this around the city. People will stop at a crossing and wait patiently, and Anto and Deco will just walk straight out in front of speeding cars, which then have to slam on their brakes. What is with this reckless abandon? Is it something that comes with heroin?
    They do it because they're off their bins and probably haven't a clue what they're at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    have you ever actually conversed with an addict?

No. I have enough of my own problems without listening to a junkie tell me about how hard their life was. Also, I have no interest in it.

As an aside, why is it that no matter where you are in the country, the junkies sound like they're from Dublin? Something I noticed over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I had a look at the Social Welfare site, and the information there conflicts with a lot of what you said. Nowhere does it say that a drug addict qualifies. If they are in receipt of certain SW allowances, they could apply, but not simply on the basis of their addiction.

You do know they apply through unfit to work, disability etc etc....

Look if you don't believe me go into the city and follow any single drug addicts hanging out and watch them board the bus free, the Luas, the dart, train or bus eireann..... They are even getting the nitelink free.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,490 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You do know they apply through unfit to work, disability etc etc....

Look if you don't believe me go into the city and follow any single drug addicts hanging out and watch them board the bus free, the Luas, the dart, train or bus eireann..... They are even getting the nitelink free.

If they are the types who walk out in front of cars, I expect that they pay no heed to rules about fares.

If they are the types who walk out in front of cars, I expect that they pay no heed to rules about fares.

Ok seriously ill spell it out for you THEY HAVE FREE TRAVEL PASSES.....

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Anto and Deco

Hey, I don't jaywalk!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Ok seriously ill spell it out for you THEY HAVE FREE TRAVEL PASSES.....

NOT ALL OF THEM.

NOT ALL OF THEM.

No as I stated only if they apply....

Obviously those in full employment also that are on hard drugs but so far have been able to hide doing so.

Look I couldn't give a fiddler's if you don't believe me but as I said I work with them and I know very well what I'm talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

I've noticed this around the city. People will stop at a crossing and wait patiently, and Anto and Deco will just walk straight out in front of speeding cars, which then have to slam on their brakes. What is with this reckless abandon? Is it something that comes with heroin?

I’m eating my breakfast, Kate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Yes they do I work with them.... They are given the pass and even quite a few get spouse pass.

This is the same argument thrown out there that kids don't have social welfare bus passes as they do.

No way , you work with addicts.
    So do I , in drugs services and homeless services at all different levels.
    Addicts do not get free travel , if they are on a disability allowance, they'll qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Anto and Deco will just walk straight out in front of speeding cars
    They're homeless. If they get hit, they'll spend time in a hospital, in a warm bed, and daily food.

Also, they'll get money that they can spend on drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Yes they do I work with them.... They are given the pass and even quite a few get spouse pass.

This is the same argument thrown out there that kids don't have social welfare bus passes as they do.

Nope.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

You don't get out much if you've never seen a junkie using their free bus pass on public transport. 99% of them I've seen use one and I've often seen them getting their mate on it with them for free. It's an absolute joke.

Again, nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Stowrwy bud, any loose change for a hostel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

No as I stated only if they apply....

Obviously those in full employment also that are on hard drugs but so far have been able to hide doing so.

Look I couldn't give a fiddler's if you don't believe me but as I said I work with them and I know very well what I'm talking about.

You don’t work with all the junkies. And a junkie could have one for other reason, as being a junkie and having a medical condition aren’t mutually-exclusive.

I’ve been through the process of getting free travel in the recent past. It’s not easy. Like I said, not even all cancer patients get it, even some who use public transport daily to get to treatment. Those battered travel passes that didn’t feature a photo ID aren’t accepted anymore. The new ID makes scamming much more difficult. You need to get it first of all. And certainly companion passes aren’t handed out willy nilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭worded

Its not just junkies op. It's people who've been brought up with an attitude that other people need to watch out for them and keep out of their way.

When ever bump into anyone just say .... “Why don’t you watch where I’m going ! “

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭worded

Ah here .... give us a brake

https://youtu.be/k-UjRhP_dbI

You don’t work with all the junkies. And a junkie could have one for other reason, as being a junkie and having a medical condition aren’t mutually-exclusive.

I’ve been through the process of getting free travel in the recent past. It’s not easy. Like I said, not even all cancer patients get it, even some who use public transport daily to get to treatment. Those battered travel passes that didn’t feature a photo ID aren’t accepted anymore. The new ID makes scamming much more difficult. You need to get it first of all. And certainly companion passes aren’t handed out willy nilly.

Oh for the love of God.... I'm well fn aware my mother had cancer and passed away young....

As she had worked and my father worked even though on absolute SH1t pay she was still turned down.... 4 kids, mortgage and all the medicine, it's actually so sad we had to go through what we did so young and my parents and us got no help..

I'm fooking sick to death what i see going on out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

worded wrote: »
    Ah here .... give us a brake

https://youtu.be/k-UjRhP_dbI

:pac::pac: the yop

Usually see them with lucozade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Hey diddle de dee
    A Junkies life for me!,
    A tab of methadone and pint of Yop!
    A track suit bottoms and a shiney top!
    Hi Diddle de day a junkies life is great.
    Trouble with the law? There is FLA for me,
    Hi Diddle de dum life is never glum
    A shot of a needle and a box of pills
    a ride in an ambulance and a bed in A&E
    A junkies life for me!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD78dtBhwtw

Oh for the love of God.... I'm well fn aware my mother had cancer and passed away young....

As she had worked and my father worked even though on absolute SH1t pay she was still turned down.... 4 kids, mortgage and all the medicine, it's actually so sad we had to go through what we did so young and my parents and us got no help..

I'm fooking sick to death what i see going on out there.

Hey, we all have a sad story. Doesn’t make you right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Do either of you actually know this? What’s the process for a drug addict getting a free travel pass? Enlighten me. I’d love to compare it to my own experience.

Purely anecdotal evidence here ...

When I was last in treatment (2 years ago) there were 20 women in the centre, almost all of whom were on social welfare of some sort. All would have been in addiction for years.

Only two of us were on disability benefit (and therefore we were the only two with free travel cards) - I was on disability due to severe mental health issues, the other woman had HIV and liver failure.

It's actually a really long difficult process to get on disability allowance, I've never heard of anyone qualifying purely on the grounds of their addiction. If anything I'd imagine my addiction would have gone against me in my application.

Those addicts you see using free travel passes on the buses, I'd imagine a lot of the time the passes belong to sick or elderly relatives. After all, it's not like they usually show them to the driver, they just scan them on the machine. Everyone is entitled to a free travel pass once they turn 65, so I'd say it's not too difficult to find someone to borrow one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Also remember that many addicts become invalids and lose a limb or lose the use of their legs from infections. The addict I know will probably have to get one of his legs removed sooner or later, constantly in and out of hospital with blood clots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Also remember that many addicts become invalids and lose a limb or lose the use of their legs from infections. The addict I know will probably have to get one of his legs removed sooner or later, constantly in and out of hospital with blood clots.
    And?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Edgware wrote: »
    And?

And therefore they probably get disability passes for transport

Advertisement