Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do junkies always walk out in front of traffic?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Oh lord jebus, I'm out.....

As I said go look at any getting on a bus or train etc..... They nearly all now have the new type pass.

Yes of course some were using stolen ones over the years but some of these were just scum bags too.

How do you all think it's over a million now on free travel and rising also a huge number are eligible to be companion to pass holder.

As I said not all as some don't apply but what I do know is at least 80% if not more have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

As I said go look at any getting on a bus or train etc..... They nearly all now have the new type pass.

Yes of course some were using stolen ones over the years but some of these were just scum bags too.

How do you all think it's over a million now on free travel and rising also a huge number are eligible to be companion to pass holder.

As I said not all as some don't apply but what I do know is at least 80% if not more have them.

Would you not apply ?
    I'm sure your rage would entitle you one .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Would you not apply ?
    I'm sure your rage would entitle you one .

You ok hun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Purely anecdotal evidence here ...

When I was last in treatment (2 years ago) there were 20 women in the centre, almost all of whom were on social welfare of some sort. All would have been in addiction for years.

Only two of us were on disability benefit (and therefore we were the only two with free travel cards) - I was on disability due to severe mental health issues, the other woman had HIV and liver failure.

It's actually a really long difficult process to get on disability allowance, I've never heard of anyone qualifying purely on the grounds of their addiction. If anything I'd imagine my addiction would have gone against me in my application.

Those addicts you see using free travel passes on the buses, I'd imagine a lot of the time the passes belong to sick or elderly relatives. After all, it's not like they usually show them to the driver, they just scan them on the machine. Everyone is entitled to a free travel pass once they turn 65, so I'd say it's not too difficult to find someone to borrow one off.

Yes, thank you. They are not just handed out. I hope you’re doing well now.

The bolded bit - yeah, that probably does happen. That is them fraudulently using somebody else’s pass rather than qualifying for one themselves. Any money saved on fare can be used to feed an addiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

When your life has little relevance and you are genuinely regarded as scum of the earth, it's nice to know you can still matter in some small way by casually stepping in front of oncoming vehicles and know if the drivers don't want to get sued or have your hep infested blood on their windshield, they will have to slow down or stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Because they're high and they don't care about rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

You’re correct. They might not necessarily get a pass due to being a junkie scumbag but the majority are on d bleedn disibility

They have key workers, social workers, doctors, nurses all at their beckon call

Plenty of advice to get their bleedn entitlements

I say **** them . ****ing smelly *****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

There is very little use you get with a stolen bus pass now. Because everything is electronic, you need to get it replaced quickly. The DSW cancel the former card when the current one is lost. You have to log on with a current bus pass each time you use the bus or the train or go through the gates at the train station.

You’re correct. They might not necessarily get a pass due to being a junkie scumbag but the majority are on d bleedn disibility

They have key workers, social workers, doctors, nurses all at their beckon call

Plenty of advice to get their bleedn entitlements

I say **** them . ****ing smelly *****

WEll if you like that then you are going to love this .....
    Have you seen about the privately run junkie hotels where they can shoot up under the supervision of nurses and doctors?
    So we are going to take Doctors and Nurses from an underfunded and understaffed public health from people with real problems ...... for illegal drug users?
    The mind boggles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

No way , you work with addicts.
    So do I , in drugs services and homeless services at all different levels.
    Addicts do not get free travel , if they are on a disability allowance, they'll qualify.

Can I ask how unsafe is it for homeless/addicts to be sleeping rough? I heard actually staying on the streets even when its raining is safer than many shelters with robberies, violence, drugs etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

WEll if you like that then you are going to love this .....
    Have you seen about the privately run junkie hotels where they can shoot up under the supervision of nurses and doctors?
    So we are going to take Doctors and Nurses from an underfunded and understaffed public health from people with real problems ...... for illegal drug users?
    The mind boggles

This is how many advanced and civilised countries treat addicts.

Maybe look up Canada which also has a health service in trouble; cannot post the link .. an entire excellent facility.

It is also the way to cut down on treatment from overdoses etc and also prevent deaths .
    And of course support the addicts seeking to get off drugs. And most of the drs and nurses involved there give spare time willingly so it does not affect staffing issues.

One point; if anyone opines that drug addicts should not get good medical care then logically that should extend to smokers, alcoholics who do damage to themselves by their excesses

Signing off on this.

I heard that in the U.K. or U.S., it's easier for junkies to get methadone for withdrawal than it is for cancer patients to get prescribed any opioids.

Don't know how much of that is true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I heard that in the U.K. or U.S., it's easier for junkies to get methadone for withdrawal than it is for cancer patients to get prescribed any opioids.

total non sequitur

Graces7 wrote: »
    total non sequitur

Answer the question please. Is it true or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What is your source and how recent is it? Likely to vary in the UK, given the NHS "postcode lottery". The US does not have a NHS, go again big variations likely.

Graces7 wrote: »
    This is how many advanced and civilised countries treat addicts.

Maybe look up Canada which also has a health service in trouble; cannot post the link .. an entire excellent facility.

It is also the way to cut down on treatment from overdoses etc and also prevent deaths .
    And of course support the addicts seeking to get off drugs. And most of the drs and nurses involved there give spare time willingly so it does not affect staffing issues.

One point; if anyone opines that drug addicts should not get good medical care then logically that should extend to smokers, alcoholics who do damage to themselves by their excesses

Signing off on this.

Heroin/opium is not drug but it is a weapon of mass destruction. Yes it does have it medicinal uses. But I view it as a weapon as the British used it to destroy China and I am sure other super powers have used it to destroy other civilisations in the past.

You wouldn't get me working with Drug addicts for love nor money. I have done 6 months in the SIMON community which is soul destroying stuff. There is no recovery from Heroin. The kinder thing to do is to cut them away.

I don't subscribe to the idea that it is a personal decision and the only person they are hurting is themselves. They hurt their former friends and family. They are a blight on their community. Who wants to live next to someone who defecates in their neighbours doorway? Who disposes of needles in an improper way and leaves syringes in the park.

No medical professional would give their time willingly to that unless they were paid big money and the money you would earn seeing that crap wouldnt pay you for the stuff you would have to do to destress after seeing that abuse.

You dont throw good money after bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The junction of merchants quay and winetavern st? Yes I know it well. They were all in the middle of the road having a mass brawl on merchants quay near the junction for about 5 mins there on Tuesday morning. Merchants Quay bus stop had to be moved down the road at tax payer expense to keep the normals safe while commuting to work. Irish people will tolerate this though because we're a passive race

Advertisement