Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do junkies always walk out in front of traffic?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

I'm hazarding a wild guess it's because they're out of their box on heroin.

That pretty much sums it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

They just don't really care and know people will stop. They aren't all junkies many are alcoholics. Bolton Street seems to have a particular problem with this for some reason.

Somebody already mentioned this but it is getting much worse and it is the people standing at the edge of the curb. Perfectly sober people have taken to this. Can't make any sense of why the do it. The vast majority of near misses and collisions has been pedestrians walking into traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They are generally harmless. Imagine the suffering they go through and try and feel some compassion. You wouldn't wish that life on your worst enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

question for the dubs.is it hard get parking near Shelbourne Park do ye know

Inconsideration and self centredness. Largely the same reasons why they stuck needles in their arm to begin with.

lol. You must have had a sheltered life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Suicide. They have nothing to live for. Junkies couldn’t give a flying f about you or anyone else. I see it all over the city as well.

Someone's son, brother, sister, daughter, friend.

The irony is that you say it is "they that don't give a flying f about anyone else "

The world is truly blessed to have you, hopefully it never comes to your door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

lol. You must have had a sheltered life.

How does that make any sense?

Junkies are pure scum and did it to themselves so fk them.

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    How does that make any sense?

Junkies are pure scum and did it to themselves so fk them.

Right. If you had alcoholic or junkie parents who were never around and when they were they were abusive and didn't care about you, and were from some absolute sh*thole with zero chance in life, well you might actually considering taking drugs yourself to get away from the pain of it all. Why the f*ck not?

But no I bet you'd rise above it all despite the horrific childhood and abuse because you're not like the junkie scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They ain't got time to wait, are you mad.....

They are shouting constantly and in a hurry to get over to get their fix or beat the sh1t out of one another....

They tend to very rarely get knocked down funnily enough.

Right. If you had alcoholic or junkie parents who were never around and when they were they were abusive and didn't care about you, and were from some absolute sh*thole with zero chance in life, well you might actually considering taking drugs yourself to get away from the pain of it all. Why the f*ck not?

But no I bet you'd rise above it all despite the horrific childhood and abuse because you're not like the junkie scum.

Cry me a river

• Advertisement

Cry me a river

I wont cry you a river no, because I doubt you came from anything like that kind of background. Try putting yourself in their shoes.
    Check your privilege!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

They want a BIG claim so they can buy more drugs until their eye balls explode out of their heads.

The junkies that I worry about are the ones that follow you down the street, I don't need that sh!t when I got my kid with me. Happens consistently more and more. You have to literally run to get away from them. Some have followed me into underground car parks to because they know you will be pulling your wallet out.. There are so many streets in Dublin that I wont walk down anymore because of this, and other types of non national beggars shoving their paper cup in your face from every door step, post box, ticket machine.

I wont cry you a river no, because I doubt you came from anything like that kind of background. Try putting yourself in their shoes.
    Check your privilege!

And this is the case for all the scum or are you just an apologist for the scum.

I know a guy who was a heroin addict and I never saw him like that. He was always dressed well, always looked well, always had a job. He had a very difficult childhood. He was a nice person. He just went down the wrong path. He passed away a couple of years ago.

I think people tend to dehumanize heroin addicts. Some heroin addicts are not nice people as some people who are not heroin addicts are. Others just got caught up in something and are struggling to get out of it.

I also know of two people who have managed to get off it and are doing really well.

And this is the case for all the scum or are you just an apologist for the scum.

You should join a debating team, you're a natural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

endacl wrote: »
    Too pointless to be given a crap about. Would be a tragedy if one was hit and a nice car was damaged.

Jesus Christ. Seriously that's a horrible thing to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

They want a BIG claim so they can buy more drugs until their eye balls explode out of their heads.

The junkies that I worry about are the ones that follow you down the street, I don't need that sh!t when I got my kid with me. Happens consistently more and more. You have to literally run to get away from them. Some have followed me into underground car parks to because they know you will be pulling your wallet out.. There are so many streets in Dublin that I wont walk down anymore because of this, and other types of non national beggars shoving their paper cup in your face from every door step, post box, ticket machine.

In and about Dublin most days and have never had this experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Jesus Christ. Seriously that's a horrible thing to say

It's after hours....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,552 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    They just don't really care and know people will stop. They aren't all junkies many are alcoholics. Bolton Street seems to have a particular problem with this for some reason.

Somebody already mentioned this but it is getting much worse and it is the people standing at the edge of the curb. Perfectly sober people have taken to this. Can't make any sense of why the do it. The vast majority of near misses and collisions has been pedestrians walking into traffic.

More common in my experience, and more dangerous, are "Salmon" cyclists. Not likely to be drunk or drugged, but with a serious death wish.

They cycle on the wrong side of the road against oncoming traffic, and cross junctions with emerging and turning traffic without slowing down or stopping. A lot of the time they are in cycle lanes on the opposite side of where they should be. There is a thread in the Cycling forum about these people.

Why do people assume junkies are always lower class, surely there should be junkies that are middle classh/rich.

There are a surprisingly high number of opiate addicts from middle/upper classes in Irish society, including heroin. The thing is, you wouldn't notice because they get their kicks in private. Heroin itself isn't particularly bad for you, it's just extremely habit forming. The ones you see on the street forego basic stuff like hygiene, diet, exercise etc. because all that stuff costs money....money which is better spent on getting whacked out of it, in their eyes.

People of means can afford to live an otherwise normal life, while getting skagged out of it in the comfort of their own home. Doctors are infamous for getting high off their own supply.

• Advertisement

More common in my experience, and more dangerous, are "Salmon" cyclists. Not likely to be drunk or drugged, but with a serious death wish.

They cycle on the wrong side of the road against oncoming traffic, and cross junctions with emerging and turning traffic without slowing down or stopping. A lot of the time they are in cycle lanes on the opposite side of where they should be. There is a thread in the Cycling forum about these people.

How many people have they injured/killed lately?? should I be worried?

I'd be worried about motorists killing 2 or 3 people a week if I were you!

It's after hours....

Yes. And that's why it's ok to observe that enda is a sad C**T!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

There are a surprisingly high number of opiate addicts from middle/upper classes in Irish society, including heroin. The thing is, you wouldn't notice because they get their kicks in private. Heroin itself isn't particularly bad for you, it's just extremely habit forming. The ones you see on the street forego basic stuff like hygiene, diet, exercise etc. because all that stuff costs money....money which is better spent on getting whacked out of it, in their eyes.

Interesting research there!

Tammy! wrote: »
    I think people tend to dehumanize heroin addicts. Some heroin addicts are not nice people as some people who are not heroin addicts are. Others just got caught up in something and are struggling to get out of it.

The ones who piss and **** in public do a good enough job of that themselves. I don't give a **** what someone is or isn't on, I judge people on behaviour. They can blame it on substances but if someone behaves like a scumbag then they're a scumbag.

The ones who piss and **** in public do a good enough job of that themselves. I don't give a **** what someone is or isn't on, I judge people on behaviour. They can blame it on substances but if someone behaves like a scumbag then they're a scumbag.

If you were out on the street and a bit tapped in the head and strung out on all sorts you may find yourself relieving yourself god only knows where.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I know a guy who was a heroin addict and I never saw him like that. He was always dressed well, always looked well, always had a job. He had a very difficult childhood. He was a nice person. He just went down the wrong path. He passed away a couple of years ago.

I also know of two people who have managed to get off it and are doing really well.

Well said, some heroin - drug addicts are bad people, some are decent but ended up succumbing to their hardship.probably at an age when they were too young to know better, that and poor if any guidance

Drug dealers are scum however

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

If you were out on the street and a bit tapped in the head and strung out on all sorts you may find yourself relieving yourself god only knows where.

Would you even be aware of relieving yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Why do people assume junkies are always lower class, surely there should be junkies that are middle classh/rich.

People of means can afford to live an otherwise normal life, while getting skagged out of it in the comfort of their own home. Doctors are infamous for getting high off their own supply.

Sure the likes of Keith Richards and iggy pop were nothing but junkies for much of their life, wealthy junkies.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Sure the likes of Keith Richards and iggy pop were nothing but junkies for much of their life, wealthy junkies.

Ye sure you wouldn't have thought Peaches Geldoff was on it. Granted she had lost alot of weight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Abso-fucking-lutely. “They are other, I am better than them”. Sure look, it’s not just junkies. So many people jump at any chance to dehumanise others, to judge them. Any thread on fat people or smokers here on boards will neatly demonstrate that. I shared a hospital ward with a junkie once (just a general ward in a hospital) and it was interesting to chat to her and to understand how she got to where she was in life. But understanding someone takes work. Judgement is so much easier.

Advertisement