Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Gamb!t wrote: »
    I doubt it,he could easily have just quit last night with his leg busted up.

Was it not a problem with his leg that wasnt being kicked? His left leg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Gamb!t wrote: »
    I doubt it,he could easily have just quit last night with his leg busted up.

Being a quitter is a separate issue. I don’t think he’d ever quit on the stool. He still looks way more tentative in his fights since his comeback, doesn’t have the same fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

Lukker- wrote: »
    I'm not so sure. His cardio was suspect last night even though he was throwing much less. He was incredibly slow too.

More suspect than 1.5 rounds? I love to watch McGregor fighting as much as anyone, but I don't see how he takes Robbie out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Inviere wrote: »
    More suspect than 1.5 rounds? I love to watch McGregor fighting as much as anyone, but I don't see how he takes Robbie out.

Story of his career isn't it........when the history books are wrote 'theres always someone who would beat him' ................it's the same after everyone one of his fking fights

"well that was great but he has no chance against z y and z"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Story of his career isn't it........when the history books are wrote 'theres always someone who would beat him' ................it's the same after everyone one of his fking fights

"well that was great but he has no chance against z y and z"

Nate took a bit of the shine off. "You beat all midgets," Diaz said. "I fought every f—ing week, forever, motherf—–. I've been in the UFC forever, fighting everybody. "You fight midgets".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,934 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

cloudatlas wrote:
    Nate took a bit of the shine off. "You beat all midgets," Diaz said. "I fought every f—ing week, forever, motherf—–. I've been in the UFC forever, fighting everybody. "You fight midgets".

And Nate beat him but if he was a chicken he would have moved on. He didn't though, he got back in the ring with Nate. Nate is bigger than him too and he never backed down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,934 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Inviere wrote:

Robbie has an awful defense and McGregor has power. It's an awful matchup for Robbie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cloudatlas wrote: »

He was fighting in his weight class class. Nate is heavier.
    It would be like Woodley slagging Nate for fighting Midgets at Lightweight. Or TJ slagging MM's title run. It's not a valid criticism in terms what actually happened.
    Nate was was having a pop specifically in relation to their fight. He shouldn't be taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Conor was down at 145 and tbh his proper weight class is 155 but he only ever accepted one fight there. Won the belt and took his ball and went home. Conor owes alot 2 titles defences and nate rematch. Conor seems to have attitude once he gets what he wants he loses interest. Nate could have refused a rematch so conor owes him one.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Robbie has an awful defense and McGregor has power. It's an awful matchup for Robbie.

I think Robbie's resilience trumps Conor's impressive, but time limited power. Conor would have to fight a very measured fight, like he did with Nate 2. I don't think Robbie would give him the breathing room that Nate did though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

dave1982 wrote: »
    Nate could have refused a rematch so conor owes him one.

By 'rematch' you mean a shít-tonne of money so he doesn't really owe him anything.

Nate took that fight for Nate, not because he was being super sound to Conor

Conor was down at 145 and tbh his proper weight class is 155 but he only ever accepted one fight there. Won the belt and took his ball and went home. Conor owes alot 2 titles defences and nate rematch. Conor seems to have attitude once he gets what he wants he loses interest. Nate could have refused a rematch so conor owes him one.

Lol the only fights Nate refuses are ones that aren't Conor McGregor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭cletus

Any given fighters 'proper' weight class is the one they can successfully make. If a fighter can stand on the scales at the requisite time and weigh, say 145lbs, then that is their weight class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

D'Agger wrote: »
    By 'rematch' you mean a shtonne of money so he doesn't really owe him anything.

Nate took that fight for Nate, not because he was being super sound to Conor
    I know balls conor got paid nothing for that fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

cletus wrote: »
    Any given fighters 'proper' weight class is the one they can successfully make. If a fighter can stand on the scales at the requisite time and weigh, say 145lbs, then that is their weight class

When almost every fighter is draining themselves significantly to make weight then it may not be best for them long term

RDA has looked great since moving up, ditto for Gastelum, and the extremes of former WW Anthony Johnson looking good as a jacked LHW, Whittaker going from WW to MW has improved him too

When everybodys cutting weight to get an advantage nobody is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

When everybodys cutting weight to get an advantage nobody is

They no longer do. They cut weight so they're not at a disadvantage.
    If fighters are prepared to push it so far that their liver shuts down, i can't see any gentleman's agreement between them to be realistic.

The only other option is fight day weigh ins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

His weight class at the time was 145. He is bigger now, so 155 is his proper weight class. How does he owe Nate a rematch? lol.

He owes a defense at 155. Not sure why you are saying 2 defences.
    RDA has looked great since moving up, ditto for Gastelum, and the extremes of former WW Anthony Johnson looking good as a jacked LHW, Whittaker going from WW to MW has improved him too
    Those guys, particularly Johnson and Whitaker are bigger at the higher weight classes. They haven't just started cutting less weight.
    By filling out their natural frame better they've performed better. Instead of hindering recovery but fighting to stay lighter. But they are still cutting a fair bit of weight. I've seen Whitaker in person and he is huge. 210lbs I'd guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Conor McGregor owes nobody a thing lads will ye stop, he is mma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I know balls conor got paid nothing for that fight

McGregor gets that money whoever he's fighting, Nate does not. Again, super sound of Nate all the same, looking out for Conor like that and saying yes to the rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

When is he fighting Tony?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Probably as much chance of him fighting Grant Mitchell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It already happened after he wouldn’t get out of bed to go to work.

Paully D wrote: »
    It already happened after he wouldn’t get out of bed to go to work.

Conor 0-1 vs his pappy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Tony next and if RDA beats Woodley then Conor would defo entertain the idea of going after the WW belt again.

if RDA beats Woodley

Should be a guddun', I don't see past the Woodmeister for it though.

Should be a guddun', I don't see past the Woodmeister for it though.

Only way RDA wins is by decision. It's actually a decent matchup, but ya can't really look past Woodley. Woodley isn't the most exciting fighter, and doesn't exactly impose his own style on fights, but he's one of the best at countering his opponents strengths. His fight style is totally reactive but it's got him this far.

It's hard to look past Woodley indeed but RDA is more well-rounded than Woodley's last three or four opponents so T-Wood is not just focusing on one strength and has shown weakness to pressure fighting opponents in the past. To me it seems that Woodley needs space to throw his sprinting mega-bombs so its up to RDA to get inside that range and tire Woodley out. Decent match-up for sure.

It's hard to look past Woodley indeed but RDA is more well-rounded than Woodley's last three or four opponents so T-Wood is not just focusing on one strength and has shown weakness to pressure fighting opponents in the past. To me it seems that Woodley needs space to throw his sprinting mega-bombs so its up to RDA to get inside that range and tire Woodley out. Decent match-up for sure.

I think Woodley has definitely improved in that regard too though. He's fairly comfortable fighting against the cage. He won't throw much but he still managed to drop Wonderboy a couple of times with his back against the cage. He can also use the cage to propel himself for a power double. RDA is very well rounded though, I'd hope for a fast paced fight but again Woodley is very good at slowing things down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

Lukker- wrote:
    I think Woodley has definitely improved in that regard too though. He's fairly comfortable fighting against the cage. He won't throw much but he still managed to drop Wonderboy a couple of times with his back against the cage. He can also use the cage to propel himself for a power double. RDA is very well rounded though, I'd hope for a fast paced fight but again Woodley is very good at slowing things down.

Woodley's a beast. Nobody is beating him anytime soon

eurokev wrote: »
    Woodley's a beast. Nobody is beating him anytime soon

Indeed. He gets flak, but personally I think if you're into technical fighting, he's fantastic to watch. He's hugely talented, and RDA is quite prone to doing the chicken dance after a knock to the jaw, so I don't see past TW for that one.

• Advertisement

Indeed. He gets flak, but personally I think if you're into technical fighting, he's fantastic to watch. He's hugely talented, and RDA is quite prone to doing the chicken dance after a knock to the jaw, so I don't see past TW for that one.

I think that is a small overstatement. He's compelling at times, but his last 2 fights have been stinkers. It's the equivalent tactic of parking the bus in football. I respect the grind and concentration it takes to apply, but it can be dismal viewing at times. For me, an actual technician who is fantastic to watch would be TJ Dillashaw

I actually think Woodley could break the defence record at WW too.

but his last 2 fights have been stinkers

No disputing that, though I would say, it takes two to tango. Thompson's point scoring style of fighting does not combine well at all with Woodley's defensive style. Similarly, Maia spent five rounds attempting take downs, which were all stuffed. Not compelling to watch, but for tdd alone, Woodley was fantastic that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

I actually think Woodley could break the defence record at WW too.

The record is 9 isn't it? I'd say that's a bold prediction, considering 2 of his 3 defences so far were razor thin, a majority decision and a majority draw, adding in to that there is a new wave of talent at 170, to win 7 more in a row would be remarkable. Considering the level of competition he would face I'd say it would make him the greatest of all time without question if he manages that. He's also not very young, only a year younger old than GSP.

I'd love to see Till get a crack at Woodley, now that's an exciting prospect.

Django99 wrote: »
    The record is 9 isn't it? I'd say that's a bold prediction, considering 2 of his 3 defences so far were razor thin, a majority decision and a majority draw, adding in to that there is a new wave of talent at 170, to win 7 more in a row would be remarkable. Considering the level of competition he would face I'd say it would make him the greatest of all time without question if he manages that. He's also not very young, only a year younger old than GSP.

Yeah I know, it would be a massive ask. Comparatively though he has much less miles on the clock than GSP and doesn't really get hit that much. His style is the ultimate grinder style, so if a fight doesn't finish they will tend to be very narrow. Thing is he can usually do enough to win the fight and he knows the fine margins it takes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Am I the only one that thinks Saffeidene, Magny and a Lawler on the slide who has fought twice in two and a half years shouldn't amount to a title shot?

Cowboy had a longer, more impressive streak at WW (albeit admittedly not fighting anyone as high on the ladder as Lawler) until he got absolutely wrecked by Masvidal, who subsequently got wrecked by Wonderboy.

If RDA gets the shot, Woodley will annihilate him.

Isn't this the Conor McGregor thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭monty_python

http://www.punditarena.com/mma/sraftery/joe-rogan-claims-floyd-mayweather-2/

Rogan says Dana and flyod are in talks for the second finght in the octagon

• Advertisement

I wouldn't put any stock whatsoever in something that Rogan said that Dana said that Mayweather said...

Certainly nothing indicating they're in serious talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Ah Rogan talks a load of hoop. Why in the world would Floyd ever possibly agree to that? It would make less money than a boxing match and he would literally stand a 0% chance of winning.
    I know Rogan is quoting Dana White but this is the same guy who kept telling everyone that McGregor was going to fight Khabib in Russia in December. Complete nonsense

Ah Rogan talks a load of hoop. Why in the world would Floyd ever possibly agree to that? It would make less money than a boxing match and he would literally stand a 0% chance of winning.
    I know Rogan is quoting Dana White but this is the same guy who kept telling everyone that McGregor was going to fight Khabib in Russia in December. Complete nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

1 kick in the head and it's over, not a hope of this happening

They couldn't even advertise it that Floyd had a punchers chance, it took Floyd 30 mins of punches only to put McGregor away first time around and he didn't even KO him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

dulux99 wrote: »
    They couldn't even advertise it that Floyd had a punchers chance, it took Floyd 30 mins of punches only to put McGregor away first time around and he didn't even KO him.

Don't think this is going to happen but if it did it does astronomical numbers. He doesn't have to have a punchers chance. People will tune in to see him get knocked clean out with a spinning head kick, or to see him
    " tap out like a little bitch"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Isn't this the Conor McGregor thread?

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Floyd let it take 30 minutes of punches.

he didn't even KO him.

Lol

he didn't even KO him.

Lol
    What's "Lol" about it? It was a technical knockout where McGregor didn't touch the canvas. That's not a KO.
    If you think I'm trying to stand up for McGregor's performance in the ring - I'm not. I'm under no illusions that Floyd was in control of every moment of the fight, and gave away the rounds. My point that Floyd didn't KO Conor is in conjunction with pointing out the absurdity of McGregor vs Mayweather in an MMA fight.

They're all the same. The ref saved him.

Floyd didn't KO him the way McGregor didn't KO Alvarez, Mendes etc. Pedantic nonsense.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement