Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Options
  • 05-12-2015 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

We're a week out, so it's time for the event thread. Hopefully we can use this one purely for discussion on the actual fights. Unsure how the moderators want to handle this so feel free to move, lock etc if wanted. I've included a couple of the main FAQ's that always crop up for these events and our usual poll too.

057ac044a16a1ea92c49ff72757c717b.png

Date: Saturday December 12th
    Venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas
    Time: Early Prelims (Fight Pass 12am GMT), Prelims (BT Sport 2, 1am), Main Card (BT Sport 2, 3am)
    Odds: McGregor (8/11) vs Aldo (11/8)
    Other Events: Q&A with Holly Holm on Friday 11th December (9pm GMT), Weigh-Ins on Friday 11th December (11pm GMT)

Note - if either McGregor or Aldo have to pull out, Frankie Edgar steps in.

What time will the McGregor v Aldo fight start at?
    It's difficult to give a precise time, but if you tune in from 5am you won't have to wait too long.

How can I watch the event if I don't have access to BT Sport?
    It's a pay-per-view. You can purchase the event on UFC TV to stream for €17.99. This will give you access to all of the fights on the main card, including Conor's fight. If you want to watch the prelims too, you'll need to take advantage of the one week free trial that UFC Fight Pass offer or pay the €7.99 monthly fee if you've already used said free trial, just remember to cancel if you don't want to continue to use the service. Live events via UFC TV/Fight Pass are available to view on devices such as Xbox One/Xbox 360, iPad, iPhone, Andrioid and Apple TV via their app.

MOD NOTE:
    Paully D has kindly included any details needed to watch the fight. Do not post in this thread asking what are start times or you will receive a warning/infraction. Nobody wants this thread full of the same question over and over again.

Also, please be civil towards one another and don't drag the forum down by resorting to petty sniping or all out flame wars.
    If you think someone is trolling, report the post. Do not respond to them.

Lastly,.....Enjoy the fight everyone. Whether you're watching in a pub, or at home, or if you're one of the lucky ones in Vegas.... I hope everyone has a great time watching it.
    Irish mma has come a long way in recent years and it's brought us to this point. We should all enjoy it, and realise we're watching history in the making. It's going to be a great night no matter what the result.

Who Will Win The Main Event? 443 votes

McGregor via KO/TKO
    0%
    McGregor via Decision
    60%
    DeVoreSickBoySkyStercournioniNunoBorderfoxShamoARGINITEondaflythe whole year innPsychedelicBambaataDodgeT-b0n3laforsCalidenOmegaReddentjoe316Bluefoam 267 votes
    McGregor via Submission
    4%
    TippexsReq | uTeKGrumPyDubOnHolidayrichyDamien360DancorJennyAntRossD1983Trilla90moeblogsbrianregan09deadwood85brijayDecember2012beaufboydkevaidanathomeCtrl Alt DeleteLights On 21 votes
    Aldo via KO/TKO
    1%
    karltimberjustboredASOTCarefulNow!Jake Stiles 5 votes
    Aldo via Decision
    24%
    v10BigConTCP/IPiggybmmCanis LupusMr.Nice Guymonster1Dave147UmaroGatorooterforce eleventommyboy2222Heisenberg.Terrlockkeith16wandatowellChevy RVartanevilla 107 votes
    Aldo via Submission
    9%
    moneymadmailburnerblackdog2Pac1Manextra-ordinary_PyjamaramajimmiiMr VeloNabyLadisthemancallaway92KathleenFwayne0308mcgucc22Swashbucklermagma69Mr. ManagerJimmyAlfonsohotsKing CantonaPhiloCypher 43 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

McGregor via Decision
    I change my mind on a daily basis between Aldo/McGregor and Weidman/Rockhold, can't wait for this. This is what UFC cards should look like!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Paully, excellent info as usual but I'm locking this for now. No need or for another thread just yet. There'll only be cross-post ING even more than we have now.
    I'll re-open this when we get a bit closer to fight day and it can be used for fight discussion.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

MOD NOTE:
    Paully D has kindly included any details needed to watch the fight. Do not post in this thread asking what are start times or you will receive a warning/infraction. Nobody wants this thread full of the same question over and over again.

Also, please be civil towards one another and don't drag the forum down by resorting to petty sniping or all out flame wars.
    If you think someone is trolling, report the post. Do not respond to them.

Lastly,.....Enjoy the fight everyone. Whether you're watching in a pub, or at home, or if you're one of the lucky ones in Vegas.... I hope everyone has a great time watching it.
    Irish mma has come a long way in recent years and it's brought us to this point. We should all enjoy it, and realise we're watching history in the making. It's going to be a great night no matter what the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

McGregor via Decision
    So excited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Aldo via Decision
    Sorted out the poll this time I see ;) no more mysterious Holm fans voting after the fight ended!

Hmm I can't see past an Aldo win unless age and the last 18 undefeated fights have caught up with him. Too much in his arsenal for Conor's sole, admittedly very scary, standup. I voted KO/TKO because I think Conor is too big to have the cardio for 5 rounds against a guy like Aldo and he'll get sloppy and lose from there.

I'll be shouting for the Irishman in the fight though. Would be a lovely surprise to have an Irish UFC champion come Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

McGregor via Decision
    Aaaaand we're off.

19 meltdowns, 45 infractions, 8 bans and 2 death threats is my prediction for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Aldo via Decision
    Wonder will the weigh in make us even more excited? McGregor don't do quiet weigh ins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Would love to see him come out straightaway , orthodox stance and left sidekick into aldos ribs, no way aldo would be expecting it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

McGregor via Decision
    what time are the weighins kicking off?

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    what time are the weighins kicking off?

Can you not read the opening post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

McGregor via Decision
    Paully D wrote: »

and 2 death threats is my prediction for this thread.

Oh ya? I'll kill you! (especially if you score better in the fight picks!)

Looking forward to the weigh ins. Curious to see if Conor will maintain Zen or will there be an incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

McGregor via Decision
    if this stays on the feet i won't worry as conor has a concrete noggin

if aldo takes it to the ground , ill worry , i remember him having faber in the mounted crucifix for like a minute and was lucky the ref didnt end it there , and faber us supposed to be a better wrestler than conor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

McGregor via Decision
    Wonder will the weigh in make us even more excited? McGregor don't do quiet weigh ins.

I cant even wait for the weigh in's. Ive 20 quid on CM to win by the 2nd by KO. Anybody staying up for the franky fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

McGregor via Decision
    what time is the main fight on at?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Axwell wrote: »
    In 5 mins...

Please make it stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

Aldo via Decision
    Go Aldi!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Aldo via Submission
    Gonna miss the old thread! Like a lot of people I'm back and forth on who's gonna win. Part of me thinks Aldo will try and point a victory with takedowns. Another part things the leg kicks could mess up Conor's knee. Another part of me thinks Conor will wear Aldo down with his striking accuracy. Just have no idea how this will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

I normally buy PPVs on UFC.tv but I'm worried its going to be unstable. Fight pass was unstable this last night/this morning (they fixed up the replay for PVZ card around lunch time.)

Is the youtube version HD? It doesn't say at this link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yatS6fVnUGQ

• Advertisement

Aldo via Decision
    if this stays on the feet i won't worry as conor has a concrete noggin

if aldo takes it to the ground , ill worry , i remember him having faber in the mounted crucifix for like a minute and was lucky the ref didnt end it there , and faber us supposed to be a better wrestler than conor

Yep. Faber was one win away from NCAA Div. 1 All American status so would be a much more proficient wrestler than Conor, but his stand up is nowhere near as deadly. I think most people can agree that if the majority of the fight takes place on the ground Conor will lose, so I'd say TDD would've been a huge part of his training. He's quite lanky for the division though which won't help him there.

As a general rule Americans have the best grappling bases because of the popularity and high standard of coaching of wrestling in high schools and then college. So it isn't really a knock on McGregor that all these guys have much better wrestling than him, it's just that we don't really have anything like that here. Russia and in particular the Dagestani guys seem to have very good Sambo bases though, but I know very little about Sambo, that might be a better base again. They've got a wrestling culture there too as evidenced by the olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Aldo via Decision
    Going to record tonight event, can't do 2 late nights in a row

Speaking off late nights, what's everyone's plan for staying awake till 6am?

Alcohol?
    Power naps?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I normally buy PPVs on UFC.tv but I'm worried its going to be unstable. Fight pass was unstable this last night/this morning (they fixed up the replay for PVZ card around lunch time.)

Is the youtube version HD? It doesn't say at this link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yatS6fVnUGQ

Watched the whole event last night on fight pass without any issue apart from one moment where it skipped and repeated about 3 seconds. I've watched plenty of events on it and rarely had any issues and personally wont be worried about it tomorrow night. If anything you tube will prob be worse as theres a comments window feed on the side of it isnt there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

McGregor via Decision

Alcohol?
    Power naps?

A small sprinkling of drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Decision

Alcohol?
    Power naps?

iStock_000022733187XSmall.jpg
    only way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Alcohol?
    Power naps?

I generally try sleeping on the couch between 11 pm and maybe 2 am. Get up then and get myself a bit of food and a beer and I'm ready for the remainder. I've always got it recording on Sky box so when i wake up i start watching the prelims which start at 1 am and then fast forward through the ads. I usually catch up by either the start of the main card at 3 am or just after. Gotta watch this main card live though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Axwell wrote: »
    Watched the whole event last night on fight pass without any issue apart from one moment where it skipped and repeated about 3 seconds. I've watched plenty of events on it and rarely had any issues and personally wont be worried about it tomorrow night. If anything you tube will prob be worse as theres a comments window feed on the side of it isnt there?

You can close the Youtube chat window, I close it every damn time :)

For one of the biggest events ever I just wonder if Youtube's servers would be more reliable.

The fight pass prelims wouldn't load for me at all till about 2pm. The main event was stuttery as fúck all morning too. Very disappointed as its normally very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Decision
    You can close the Youtube chat window, I close it every damn time :)

For one of the biggest events ever I just wonder if Youtube's servers would be more reliable.

The fight pass prelims wouldn't load for me at all till about 2pm. The main event was stuttery as fúck all morning too. Very disappointed as its normally very reliable.

its funny sometimes though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Alcohol?
    Power naps?

Bolivian marching powder

• Advertisement

Aldo via Decision
    How much do people normally drink during a PPV event? I've never drank for one, I'd drink for matches as they're only 90 mins-2 hours. I think if I was drinking for this I'd be smashed by the main event and it'd be wasted on me. What's the advice for pacing myself here? Planning on watching the full main card.

Advertisement