Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta thunberg, climate hero or trojan horse?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Every single generation goes through this "end of times" stuff. I have no doubt of Greta's good faith, but she is being used as a red herring by those who want their agenda unchallenged.

That science says that we are impacting the climate is pretty undeniable. That this is bad for the planet - or bad life in the abstract on the planet - is disingenuous. Flora and fauna thrived on earth under hotter temperatures, and the coastlines were different but there is no way the current coastlines and continent distribution can be called optimal.

The coal and oil we have pulled out of the ground have enabled humanity to reach otherwise impossible technological and social heights, but of course this has come with a cost. Unfortunately there is almost no reasoned debate on balancing those two things.

PS: Ethiopia planted 350m trees in 12 hours. That's better than talking to the UN, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Have you any real evidence of the actual planting of 350 million trees apart from the photo opportunity? Link please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

I feel sorry for the child. She has quite clearly been groomed/brainwashed from a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

WB Yokes wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the child. She has quite clearly been groomed/brainwashed from a young age.

Oh please, is that the best that you can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭speckled_park

Del.Monte wrote: »
    See you in another five years. :rolleyes:

Is it your job to post a smart remark every 5 minutes? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I hope I don't get banned for writing this. It is the greatest problem with climate change discussion is that because it is a relativity "new" phenomenon, everyone seems to be an expert on it, including the experts themselves. The greatest weakness are the lack of real and genuine benchmarks for comparison. All we are left with is a barrage of information from scientists with a plethora of different agenda's. All driven through PR campaigns which are focused on different stakeholders.

In short it is disgusting that they are using a 16 year old girl in such a fashion, borderline child abuse imo.

I have written about this before, but climate change experts and deniers both face the same problem, no one really believes them. The experts remind me of the early times of religion, where the churches' opinion was paramount, if you disagreed with them you were burnt at the stake or excommunicated and ostracised. Believe in us or die.

For what it is worth I do believe the climate is changing and yes it is highly likely that humans are influencing this, but that it is also the breeding ground for thousands of different agendas, some of them a lot more sinister than others.

A 16 year old girl is not old enough to scold me and tell me what I believe in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Guys, I don't know how to be more clear. There is to be no discussion of climate science in this forum apart from the stickied thread at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    A 16 year old girl is not old enough to scold me and tell me what I believe in.

That's an odd statement. Age really has no bearing on this. There are millions of people out there that are younger than you but are more intelligent and more informed. Do you ignore everyone with an opinion that is younger than you?

@Macha: I am not here to discuss climate change or science.

No matter what side of the fence you are on, whether you believe in climate change or not and whether you believe that this young girl is being used as a propaganda tool or whether she is truly doing this off he own bat, you cannot deny that she is helping to focus the worlds attention on Climate change, and that can only be a good.

In reality, the world has been lied to for far to long, an example is the diesel vs petrol circus of the last 15 years. Everyone told that diesel is the way to go, it is cleaner and safer... all whilst the manufacturers pulled the wool over our eyes and found ways to manipulate data in favour of diesel engines to keep sales going. Now we have millions of diesel powered cars in Europe that need to be taken off the road. If anything, the multinationals need to be held accountable.

Whether you like Greta or not, she makes a very valid point about "money". It is the only thing that matters in the world, it is the cause for the majority of conflicts and it is the reason the world is heading on the path that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

beejee wrote: »
    Came across her latest speech and found it to be particularly cringe-inducing.

"you stole my childhood and dreams!" blah

Climate action and attention is a good thing, but there's something really questionable about her, hard to put your finger on it.

So I read a bit more about her. Some very cynical history there! It seems more and more likely that this is one gigantic marketing machine that purposefully created a brand to sell to younger people (naturally!). The mothers book launch, the big marketing firm, financial tech companies... All before anyone ever heard of her

Some interesting theories floating around about the re-organisation of capital markets to center on "green policies" in order to extract previously protected financial zones, with pensions in particular.

In other words, kiss pensions goodbye and say hello to a million new "charges" under the guise of climate action.

The kicker being, of course, that it will be the same people as now accumulating all the wealth, just more of it. This greta thunberg "phenomenon" is certainly a well-oiled machine. Suspiciously so.

Anyone else find it all a bit too good to be true? Am I and others just unreasonably cynical?

Tell me are you receptive to the internet when you're wearing a tinfoil hat ? The only cynicism evident is the Op's. The fact that money makes the world turn is absolutely no secret, indeed it is the sole reason for humanity facing a legitimate crisis. I suggest you read some of the actual science underpinning Greta's arguments but that's the thing isn't it. There's a young girl trying to push the climate agenda for the sake of humanity and keyboard warriors old enough to know better sit and smirk and spout conspiracy theories they heard elsewhere on the internet. If Thunberg's actions result in money flowing into market sectors that support eco sustainability then so be it but dont be so outlandishly Machiavellian as to think Thunberg is a front for something nefarious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

ZiabR wrote: »
    That's an odd statement. Age really has no bearing on this. There are millions of people out there that are younger than you but are more intelligent and more informed. Do you ignore everyone with an opinion that is younger than you?

No I don't. I listen to music produced by 16 year olds, so I am not being ageist here either. Messi and Ronaldo were both playing professional soccer at 16 also, I am not being ageist.

But I recognise an agenda when I see one. This one stinks of liberal academia, its' greatest irony being that it would be horrified of being accused of such an abuse. I will reiterate, I don't need a 16 year old teenager to enlighten me on the dangers of plastic production, I learnt this and thought about it in Science class when I was 16, a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

The girl is too young and is been treated like a puppet to meet other peoples' agenda. She would be far better off being an adolescent and enjoying the remainder of her "childhood" . The world will still be turning in 5 years time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Climate change is genuine.

Greta Thunberg is not.

She's a puppet, and anyone who disagrees with anything she says or does is shot down for attacking a child or someone with a disability.

Genius move really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The girl is too young and is been treated like a puppet to meet other peoples' agenda.

That is something we both agree on then.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Macha wrote: »
    Congrats you've also earned yourself a ban for repeated ignoring mod instructions.

Please get back on topic everyone. And that topic does not include questioning climate science or prentending to be concerned about someone because they have aspergers.

How can posters get back on topic when you have blocked all discussion on said topic. You have just told boards.ie members that they cannot question the IPCC or the so-called case of man-made-global warming, you have basically shut down all discussion in regards to this issue on thread.

You have completely shut-down valid counter discussion.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

OK after two glorious pages of questioning modding, climate denialism and taking pot shots at a 16 year old girl for having aspergers, I'm closing this thread.

Cue: outrage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement