Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifetime VPN €14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Hi all,

I know it's been answered before that this VPN works with BBC iPlayer as well as US Netflix, but are there any other good free catch-up services from around the world that people would recommend? I'm considering picking up the VPN but just trying to make myself aware of what content I can access with it!

Thanks

There are loads of US or UK only free tv and movie apps. For example the UK has itv hub, my5, and all4. I think all4 works without vpn, it has great content.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

TheDriver wrote: »
    Works fine on firestick for BBC IPlayer. Crackle also works with it.

I bought this after seeing offer on here. I can get the US Netflix, but although there is a specific setting for iplayer I can't get bbc iplayer working on the firestick. It's there real reason I bought it. Any advice please ??

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭w4ntedman

I bought this after seeing offer on here. I can get the US Netflix, but although there is a specific setting for iplayer I can't get bbc iplayer working on the firestick. It's there real reason I bought it. Any advice please ??

I don't have a firestick handy to check so you might have to google the exact steps but try
    settings-network settings---ipv6 (set to off)
    Sorry if the terms are wrong I haven't used my firestick in a while and I'm not at home to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

No issues here using iPlayer streaming on firestick.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Same for me. Worked first time and have been using the player daily for the last week or so. No issues.

• Advertisement

Fair enough! so anyone think I may be using it wrong or could maybe offer something in the direction of a solution. I will look into the above post from w4antedman and any other info around this welcome.

I open it on the firestick. I scroll down to the iplayer (I even tried using one of the UK regions listed). I exit the app and then open bbc iplayer, which tells me it's unavailable...

Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I don't have a Firestick just Chromecast V1, what's the cheapest way of casting say bbc iplayer from vpn enabled phone to the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Q&A

Fair enough! so anyone think I may be using it wrong or could maybe offer something in the direction of a solution. I will look into the above post from w4antedman and any other info around this welcome.

I open it on the firestick. I scroll down to the iplayer (I even tried using one of the UK regions listed). I exit the app and then open bbc iplayer, which tells me it's unavailable...

Tks

You've ticked for a TV licence and all those bit? Or not got that far?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

toonarmy1 wrote: »
    Love to have BBC iPlayer on my firestick ,is this what I need ? And is it hard to install ? Many thanks peeps

It won’t let you install bbc Iplayer if account- region is Ireland. You need to sideload the bbc player. Best way to do this is to install from the firetvstick’s File linked store. Think I posted a link to her filelinked tutorial earlier in the thread

https://youtu.be/exNioWxsIII

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I don't have a Firestick just Chromecast V1, what's the cheapest way of casting say bbc iplayer from vpn enabled phone to the TV?

if you want to do that you'd need to be setting the vpn or smartdns on the router, as you're only really sending a url to the chromecast which isn't on the vpn.
    you could cast the screen but that'll waste battery on the phone

this vpn seems good for it, smartdnsproxy or getflix also work well with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Another option would be to sell the chromecast and buy an android TV box. Good ones are selling for less than €50 now. As you can install VPN on the box itself then you wouldn't need it on your phone (or you could have it on both) just press the cast button in the app you want to send the show fromon the phone and the android TV box provided it's connected to a UK VPN will start streaming.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113658634&postcount=5637

Q&A wrote: »
    You've ticked for a TV licence and all those bit? Or not got that far?

Where about is that in the iplayer? When I open it it just says unavailable. or are you referring to somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

Not recommended to setup a cheap VPN on your router. Might be a bit tin foil hat but I wouldn't have my regular traffic (banking/surfing etc) going through the VPN. Plus it will cut your speed from 1000 down to 20.
    Remember netflix doesn't work when VPN is on a router, only when it is the device itself.
    I use a GLi mini router to establish a seperate wifi in the house that is basically the UK so allows my freesat box to do catchup

@TheDriver Which GLi mini do you use?

Irish Kev wrote: »
    @TheDriver Which GLi mini do you use?

GL-AR300M16

Where about is that in the iplayer? When I open it it just says unavailable. or are you referring to somewhere else?

See my post from two days ago. You have to sideload it

IrlJidel wrote: »
    It won’t let you install bbc Iplayer if account- region is Ireland. You need to sideload the bbc player. Best way to do this is to install from the firetvstick’s File linked store. Think I posted a link to her filelinked tutorial earlier in the thread

https://youtu.be/exNioWxsIII

The iplayer is on the stick all ready. Do I have to set my Amazon delivery address to a UK address to access?

The iplayer is on the stick all ready. Do I have to set my Amazon delivery address to a UK address to access?

Delivery address and location is nothing. It checks your IP address. So you need a VPN such as this to trick it.

Er I bought the VPN. Like I said I can get US Netflix but iplayer coming up unavailable.

Looking to get to the bottom of the problem as to why...

Er I bought the VPN. Like I said I can get US Netflix but iplayer coming up unavailable.

Looking to get to the bottom of the problem as to why...

when are you getting the unavailable message, when trying to play something?

When I go out of the 'Keepsolid' VPN after selecting bbc iplayer on it, I go to open the iplayer app on the stick. Where I guess it should say open in yellow it just says 'unavailable'
    It allows me to see a few screenshots of stuff available on the iplayer but can't get into it.

• Advertisement

When I go out of the 'Keepsolid' VPN after selecting bbc iplayer on it, I go to open the iplayer app on the stick. Where I guess it should say open in yellow it just says 'unavailable'
    It allows me to see a few screenshots of stuff available on the iplayer but can't get into it.
    you're sure you've it installed properly. go to setting on the firestick & clear the app data from it.
    have you registered an account for iplayer?

For a start thanks for taking the time to help me out.

If your asking if I installed the VPN correctly, well the US netflix is working fine. The iplayer app was on the firestick when I bought it. I reg'ed an account that I can see on my laptop but it doesn't give me anywhere I can see to log in on the firestick iplayer app.

If your asking if I installed the VPN correctly, well the US netflix is working fine. The iplayer app was on the firestick when I bought it. I reg'ed an account that I can see on my laptop but it doesn't give me anywhere I can see to log in on the firestick iplayer app.

no was asking about iplayer. you sure you've it installed & aren't just looking at the download page for it

Main issue is usually VPN. You could try ITV HUB and if that works, then your VPN is working correctly.
    I'd say your iplayer could be out of date? Try uninstalling and reinstalling maybe.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    no was asking about iplayer. you sure you've it installed & aren't just looking at the download page for it
    I have just opened it and where it has the yellow button with the shopping trolly it just says unavailable. I can access 'Trailers and Screenshots'
    It comes up the same for the ITV hub. I just checked. I used the iplayer button on Keepsolid app, so not sure if that makes any difference there. The firestick was purchased only 2 months ago but is not the 4k version.

I was just checking in the settings and looking under 'Applications' where it says 'Manage installed applications' It does not list bbc iplayer or ITV on there.

I was just checking in the settings and looking under 'Applications' where it says 'Manage installed applications' It does not list bbc iplayer or ITV on there.

please just install the app from the file linked store.

IrlJidel wrote: »
    please just install the app from the file linked store.

Ok lets try this then. Can you tell me where is the file linked store ?

I have just opened it and where it has the yellow button with the shopping trolly it just says unavailable. I can access 'Trailers and Screenshots'
    It comes up the same for the ITV hub. I just checked. I used the iplayer button on Keepsolid app, so not sure if that makes any difference there. The firestick was purchased only 2 months ago but is not the 4k version.

Turn off the VPN. Search for iplayer again & see what it says.
    If it says get, press it.

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Turn off the VPN. Search for iplayer again & see what it says.
    If it says get, press it.

Just done that and it didn't even list it in 'Apps & Games' or in 'Search in Apps'

Grrrrr!

Advertisement