Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

10 Things I Hate About You is on, haven't seen it in years, I love this film!

I love that film, it's awesome! I think I'll just have to watch the dvd while I'm doing the ironing after I finish watching Phantom of the Opera.

It's depressing that I have two films worth of ironing to do. :(

jellie wrote: »
    my debs dress stopped fitting me a long time ago! even when i was actually the same size as the dress, my body shape has changed and the dress just didnt fit (yes i tried it one time when i was clearing out my wardrobe :o)

Buy a new one! :D My debs was only 3 years ago so thank god I haven't outgrown it.

I have a 6 more gowns now too. My mother and I have an awful habit of going to sample sales and buying up the formal gowns and then never having anywhere to wear them. Such a waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Lol just read all the debs stories, ah the memories. Mine was a disaster in every possible way. My outfit was so horrible and unflattering, I had a thing about not asking my parents for money as a teenager so I just borrowed some clothes of my older sister who's still living in an early ninties bubble. I only lasted about ten minutes in my high heels (first time wearing them) before I threw them in the bin and lost my skirt and stuck a pair of jeans and runners on (I know). Hung around just long enough for the dinner, then spent the whole night sitting on the grass in a group drinking buckfast outside the hotel while everyone else made knobs of themselves dancing on tables, crying, snogging, vomiting, saying how even though they'd never been friends before they loved each other really blah blah... By the end of the night I'd fallen out with my best mate for making moves on my boyfriend/date, another kinda slutty friend of mine was coming on to the principle really heavily (seriously gross) and loads of people got grassed up/busted by the cops for pills and coke (classy school or what) and were kicked out of the hotel. I know we went to someone's house in Limerick then for a few hours but I woke up in a house in the middle of nowhere in Tipperary of all places and couldn't get home. My grads was oh so much worse though and there's lots of photos of that, I behaved at my debs because I'd made such a phenomenal tit of myself at the grads :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Since we are on the topic of debs, I thought i would share my horrible experiences! My own was shockingly bad, I got a dress made in Dubai (back story; my aunt lived out there and invited me out after my LC for two weeks, didn't enjoy it , but she suggested I get my dress made, and for whatever unknown reason, we chose sky blue satin (which is the one colour I AVOID nowadays like the plague!) So top that with horrible spotty skin, braces and insanely massive glasses. I would post a pic but I still cry looking at them!!

The night itself was rubbish, I having brought a lovely guy my friend wanted to kiss.

I then went to his debs (we had a pact!), and my mum said she would like to buy me my debs dress, since she hadn't bought the first one (the satin blue disaster). Into Roches, found a purple dress which the shop lady kept saying "it's beeoootiful!' (It's wasn't- spotty skin, braces, glasses AND pinky undertones in my skin). Got it anyway.

Week before the debs it was a scorcher, so I got sunburnt at Slane. A bright neighbour of ours suggested I try a fake tan to cover it up (ten years ago this was, tans weren't 'in')... ANOTHER BAD IDEA, because with the tan on, i started to peel, and yes, resembled a giraffe. Worse, still, that particular debs was a real special one to go to, as the boys school was the good posh school, and all the girls looked bloody fantastic, while I did my best to conceal my shoulders neck and back :(

I shudder reminiscing, but thought I would share. For the record, braces, round glasses, bad skin, greasy hair and giraffe like skin do not go well at a debs, or anywhere in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Saw this dress in a shop in town today and it was €10 cheaper than on Asos.

I always thought Asos were cheaper, I guess it depends on what you buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Saw this dress in a shop in town today and it was €10 cheaper than on Asos.

I always thought Asos were cheaper, I guess it depends on what you buy.

I've noticed that as well, I've seen them charging more for Oasis items online.

All these debs stories are making me feel a lot better, oh you poor ladies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I was reading through all the awful debs stories and thought id link to an awful picture of me in my dress to share! just put it up on my fashion blog too,I suppose it could have been a lot worse!i got off lightly compared to some of the stories on here!

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii195/sarannewrap/1466557684a2098614122b367978526l.jpg?t=1281210158

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

This thread kind of makes me wish I'd gone to my debs :(

(...kind of. ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Stray_Cat

This thread is making me very glad I chose a holiday over my debs:D

Stray_Cat wrote: »

SO wish I had!! When I get home next week, I might pull out a photo of me with that horrific satin sky blue little number to give you all a good laugh (and make ye feel terribly uncomfortable for laughing at my misfortune!!)

Bought a pretty dress for a special event next week in Fenwicks over here, only a cheapo one, but pretty, now that I've done a bit of sewing on it! Will take a photo later or else one of me in it.

Can't wait to get some pennies saved, so much pretty A/W stock coming in over here, admist all the champagne/beige/peach coloured floaty nonsense..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

fonpokno wrote: »
    FAP beers

Can't believe I only noticed this now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I never got to go to my debs :(. Hence, I have no fancy shmancy dress to wear to a FAP beers.

/cry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Wow... I really got away unscathed with my debs. The big disaster for our debs is that my group of friends started fighting and split into two smaller groups, with two groups of four or five sitting at separate tables and me being caught in the middle (two of the girls fell out over a fella of all things, but the whole thing escalated out of all proportions, as they do when you're 17/18)! Thankfully it happened before our debs, but I ended up going on a blind date with one of the girl's cousins because I wouldn't bring a friend into a situation like that. He was nice and looked after me well that evening, so I really think I was lucky!

However, I had to go home relatively early (1am) because I was competing the next day, so I think I missed some of the 'messy' stuff...

And my debs dress just about still fits me! :D Though I'd change the style slightly if I was to wear it again... My style has changed quite a lot since then. But it shouldn't be too difficult as my mum made the dress... She was fantastic to come up with something I'd wear, esp. as I hated any patterns she suggested at the time! And it also ensured that of the 220 girls in my year nobody would have the same dress as me! :p

Now... to go and find somewhere to wear that dress again.... Roll on F&A cigars and brandy/cocktails... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭rainyrun

I have just started browsing fashion and appearance and I am so inspired by the prairie dresses pictures you have been putting up Sapsorrow, the pics are beautiful!! I know another poster has been putting up pictures on the purchases thread, i think its Lindtree(sorry if spelling is wrong) I have always loved dresses like that but never had a clue where to find them!! from the looks of it my waist would never be small enough anyway!! Thanks for the great pics.. and i am definitely going to keep an eye on vintage fashion..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I had 3 debs.. although I only attended two.

Jeepers the antics that went on were something else, and this was only 4/5 years ago! Girls who no one had seen all summer turning up 6 months pregnant. One girl bringing a guy she hardly knew and him becoming violent. The first time I went I was only 16, my dress was gorgeous though. It was lightly corsetted, satin, a sweet heart strapless neckline, completely fitted to my knees before it flared with a black net petty coat underneath in to a fishtail and it was the most beautiful crimson colour too. It fitted me like a glove and I still love it! I'm very pale and I had really dark hair (almost black) at the time and the combination of colours looked gorgeous.. if I do say so myself :o:p

To the second one I wore a green halterneck (the halter started between my boobs and wrapped around my neck and was beaded and embellished - gorgeous!) dress that looking back did absolutely nothing for me. It was beautiful but it was awful on me, but I didn't cop that at the time :rolleyes:

My date was my boyfriend at the time, he didn't go to my school though. He proceeded to get horrendously drunk, puke his ring up and I had to put him in to a taxi at half twelve after he made a massive fool of himself. It was a horrible night overall :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Stray_Cat wrote: »

You were right! It was awful!! I shoulda done the same! ;)

• Advertisement

Back in the day my older sister got a nintendo 64 instead of going to her debs, a day or two after she got it her boyfriend trod on it and completely smashed it!

A few people have been contacting me asking about the dresses I wear and where I get them so I thought I'd post some links here for anyone who's interesting because they can be tricky to find.

There's a Gunne Sax addicts facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25678693075#!/photo.php?pid=171842&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=25678693075&id=100000833674711

A Flickr group:
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=gunne+sax

A Gunne Sax blog here:
    http://gunnesonparade.blogspot.com/

A good etsy shop for gunnes and the owners lovely blog;

http://www.etsy.com/shop/violetfolklore

http://violetfolklore.com/

Another good shop for Black label (Renaissance revival) Gunnes;

http://www.etsy.com/shop/VelvetIris

Ebay and Etsy are both good, although I don't know of any Ebay sellers specializing in Gunnes specifically. Another site I've only recently heard of is Zibbet, apparantly there's a woman witha dedicated Gunne shop on there too!

There's a little vintage shop in the mall just off the English Market in Cork city that has the odd victorian style prairie dress or Gunne too and they are very reasonably priced (30-35euro usually).

I remember my debs was the year that every guy seemed to be wearing a white tie with black shirt. I think it was copied from "The Hives"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Home from Berlin! Oh my god, never been so sad to leave a place! It's an amazing city. Good food, good drink, good shopping! I'll try post some pics tomorrow, got 3 great vintage bits, along with some H&M stuff. Found a Mac Pro store, so stocked up on make up. Even got a manicure for €9 while killing time before the airport! Definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Yay. welcome back Twee. Pics of vintage stuff ASAP please. :)
    The restaurants in Berlin are doing some brilliant things at the moment. A foodies paradice. Mix that in with the underground clubs and the sheer joie de vivre of Berliners and it's one of the best destinations in the World.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

Hehe thought you'd enjoy it! Did you check out the vintage boutiques around Kreuzberg and Freidrichschain at all? We're in the process of saving up to move over there next year, very stressful with all the pets but can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Glad you had a good time over there Twee, it's someplace I keep saying I'll get over to, but never do.

We ended up all over the place stumbling into vintage shops, so I don't really know the districts. Rosenthalerstrasse and the Hackescher Markt had a few, along with some gorgeous boutiques, bars, galleries and theatres.
    Humana Alexanderplatz is big second hand shop, we all got something in there!
    Will post my buys over in Latest Purchases in a bit!

Sapsorrow, I couldn't get over all the dogs around the place! It's mad, they're everywhere, so well behaved and pretty much accepted everywhere. Jealous of you moving over there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

OldGoat wrote: »
    If anyone is really interested I can find out if there are any places/tickets left for the Growed Up Debs. As I said earlier it's a charity event put together by a few of us burlesquers that seems to have grown legs and is getting bigger by the day.
    This sounds really cool!
    We should have a formal FAP beers so we can all wear our deb dresses/tux again.

I'd take any excuse to wear that beauty again.
    Great idea! It's over ten years since I last went to a debs so I no longer fit into any of my debs dresses (:(, I wish I was still as skinny as I was then!) but I am all in favour of dressing-up opportunities :D
    Faith wrote: »
    I never got to go to my debs :(. Hence, I have no fancy shmancy dress to wear to a FAP beers.

/cry
    Dearest, you must have misunderstood the purpose of this forum. If you don't have a fancy-schmancy frock, that's just another reason to go shopping! :D

Welcome back, Twee! Looking forward to seeing all your vintage finds!
    We should have a formal FAP beers so we can all wear our deb dresses/tux again.

I'd take any excuse to wear that beauty again.
    If anyone is really interested I can find out if there are any places/tickets left for the Growed Up Debs. As I said earlier it's a charity event put together by a few of us burlesquers that seems to have grown legs and is getting bigger by the day.

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Hehe thought you'd enjoy it! Did you check out the vintage boutiques around Kreuzberg and Freidrichschain at all? We're in the process of saving up to move over there next year, very stressful with all the pets but can't wait!

Wow! Do you have a job sorted over there? I hope to save up enough money to live over there for a summer, you really can't describe the place, everywhere and everyone is so different and refreshing!

Wow! Do you have a job sorted over there? I hope to save up enough money to live over there for a summer, you really can't describe the place, everywhere and everyone is so different and refreshing!

Nope not yet, focusing on saving for now because if we go it's pretty much for good with the animals, furniture and all and it's going to cost a lot of money one way or another. Bringing the pets back to Ireland probably won't be an option with the whole rabies thing so it's a big decision to leave for so long. Hoping to go in the next year, 2 years max although I'm starting to look for work there now, if I get offered something I'll head over on my own first for a bit but not sure how strong the industries I'm qualified to work in are in Berlin. I'm also considering teaching English if my degree doesn't get me anywhere there. I only went once (for 2 weeks) but I totally fell in love with it (and the rest of the country), I've been determined to settle there ever since. You can come visit me for a cheap holiday (*ahem* shopping spree) anytime when I finally make it ;)

Blah. So sick of been a student. I have no money to buy anything. The last time I bought more than 1 item in a shop was last summer.(spent over 2000 dollars in NY)

Now all I do is depress myself looking at Urban Outfitters/Hollister/American Apparel/AE/Threadless wishing I had some dosh.

Tell me about it!! Love some money to buy some new bits, starting to notice how threadbare my clothes are starting to look...

Gotta force myself to stop looking at lovely websites with lovely clothes.

I just spent about 250 euro online at American Apparel. The only reason I ended up doing it was that i got a 15% off code:o

Gotta force myself to stop looking at lovely websites with lovely clothes.

Nah you just gotta start looking at the cheaper ones like etsy and ebay, been seeing some amazing vintage dresses, hats, shoes etc on etsy for less than a tenner! I'm thinking my next obsession might be a revival of my short lived vintage hat obsession with a focus on cloches... Otherwise I head to the charity shops all the time when I'm broke to get my fix and then you get the thrill of the hunt too, I sustained my wardrobe through years of teenage poverty in the Galway ones! :) I'd make ten or twenty quid busking or face painting and be able to squeeze a packet of rollies and a shopping spree out of it back then it was great! Although they have definately gotten a bit more expensive since, I find even if I don't find much I still get the satisfaction.

• Advertisement

I am also a broke student. I have 20quid at the minute. :( Really very upsetting sometimes!

€20 = 4 jackets from the charity shops and a days entertainment finding them. :)

It also unfortunately means having no money and having to beg the parents! Hate begging the parents for money, they're paying for college for me. Must go wander around charity shops though, I always have the best of intentions.

€20 = 4 jackets from the charity shops and a days entertainment finding them. :)

Charity shops don't work as well for guys as girls unfortunately.

Charity shops don't work as well for guys as girls unfortunately.

Thats because men hang onto their clothes til they are threadbare whilst women buy a new outfit at the drop of a hat ^^

Saying that I found a wonderful cloche hat in TK Maxx yesterday for €9, I've been searching high and low for one, except it was hot pink so I put it back on the shelf :( Would clash with 90% of my wardrobe.

Thats because men hang onto their clothes til they are threadbare whilst women buy a new outfit at the drop of a hat ^^

Saying that I found a wonderful cloche hat in TK Maxx yesterday for €9, I've been searching high and low for one, except it was hot pink so I put it back on the shelf :( Would clash with 90% of my wardrobe.

True. I had clothes from when I was 14 still in my wardrobe there. Did a big clean out and gave it to charity. Some of the clothes were cringeworthy. My personal favourite was this one. I thought I was really deadly when I was 14.:otheman-thelegend.jpg

^^Count yourself lucky. I've seen men in their late 20s wearing that and similar t-shirts. Talk about embarrassing....

pfffft yeah, can you imagine calling yerself a Man at 20. :)

Jesus was just browsing for dresses on ebay when I found this...

123839.jpg

Anything strike you as very, very wrong in this pic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Stray_Cat

She has a weird looking toe,lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

:eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

:confused::confused: Besides the weird toe and the fact that the dress doesn't really suit her, I can't see anything else wrong....what am I missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

^^Count yourself lucky. I've seen men in their late 20s wearing that and similar t-shirts. Talk about embarrassing....

I saw a man who must have been in his late 40's with a "if found, return to pub" teeshirt, I cringed:o

lindtee wrote: »
    I saw a man who must have been in his late 40's with a "if found, return to pub" teeshirt, I cringed:o

The only t-shirts I have bought in the last year have been threadless. I fear for the day when I become too old to wear t-shirts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

This craze has long passed with everyone else, but I love this bag!!! Post #2559
    I love the bag too, it's gorgeous!

Where did you get it? And was it expensive?:o

• Advertisement

lindtee wrote: »

I feel really embarrassed when I see things like that. :-/

Went to the most gorgeous vintage shop today! It's in Tullamore, called Gladys'. Apparently it was featured on Xpose and Off the Rails (or Head to Toe, as my mam still calls it). Anyway went in for a gander, and she has some beautiful clothing. It is a bit on the expensive side, dresses starting at around €150, but the stock is very high quality. Everything in great condition, no musty smells, and generally gorgeous stuff! Left with a wee hat, and told her we'd be back when the coats are in ;) If you were looking for something special, I'd definitely recommend her.

Twee. wrote: »
    Went to the most gorgeous vintage shop today! It's in Tullamore, called Gladys'. Apparently it was featured on Xpose and Off the Rails (or Head to Toe, as my mam still calls it). Anyway went in for a gander, and she has some beautiful clothing. It is a bit on the expensive side, dresses starting at around €150, but the stock is very high quality. Everything in great condition, no musty smells, and generally gorgeous stuff! Left with a wee hat, and told her we'd be back when the coats are in ;) If you were looking for something special, I'd definitely recommend her.

Did you just happen upon the shop down there or had you heard about it before?

My mam had heard about it somewhere, and we were in the area visiting my aunty. Dropped in to have a look, stayed over an hour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Not directly fashion related, but I'm getting some new film for this, which means I'll be able to take more photos of bargains I find (1, 2) and more importantly some stylish (and not so much...) people (1, 2, 3, 4)... which I can't wait for. Give me a shout if you see me wandering around town with it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement