Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRO Records

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

After a fruitless couple of hours (bogband) I've given up. Mainly searched deaths Mallow in late 1800s but no joy, too many NRs, no images and a few where my refs from Familysearch (I have name, Pg, Vol, year, and DED) were not found. If the GRO puts material in the public domain they should communicate and manage it, not let the taxpayer do it for them by trial-and-error. We're on your side, talk to us.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

If the GRO puts material in the public domain they should communicate and manage it, not let the taxpayer do it for them by trial-and-error.

Absolutely!!

That they can't even manage a line or two on their site to explain the update paints them in a very poor light.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Hermy wrote: »
    Absolutely!!

That they can't even manage a line or two on their site to explain the update paints them in a very poor light.

Except that they're providing it all for freeeeeee! so I won't be too hard on them. When you think the English GRO has recently launched its wonderful historical/research PDF certificate service - a mere £6 per copy. I'd be bankrupt if I had to pay for all the certs I've looked at on the Irish GRO

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Absolutely. You can't argue with free and it allows so much more research which for those of us far away leads to trips to Ireland--two so far for me. And to places well off the beaten tourist routes. And, more importantly, it leads to warm connections with family we never knew we had, connections after five generations since my ancestors got on those boats.

Firstly, it's not free - it's funded by our taxes.

And secondly, just because something is free that's no reason not to do it properly.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well I'm busy later but Tabbey mentioned that Tadg could be ambushed in Dun Laoghaire tonight!!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Absolutely!!

Maybe they're waiting until the update is complete before making an announcement. Otherwise, people would be crowding to the site complaining that it's not done properly.

leck wrote: »
    Maybe they're waiting until the update is complete before making an announcement. Otherwise, people would be crowding to the site complaining that it's not done properly.
    Surely that's a terrible way to go about doing things when all that's needed is a little bit of communication to set the record straight.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,638 ✭✭✭✭josip

Surely that's a terrible way to go about doing things when all that's needed is a little bit of communication to set the record straight.

Nobody will get a mark on their record for not communicating.
    But if they communicate and they shouldn't, they might.

josip wrote: »
    Nobody will get a mark on their record for not communicating.

They would if I was in charge.:D

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 MAGZERFLOOD

Apparently the images went up by mistake yesterday and should have gone up on a test site first. Marriages are from 1870 and deaths from 1878 will go up in due course following an announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,638 ✭✭✭✭josip

...due course...

I'm really starting to hate that expression

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Apparently the images went up by mistake yesterday and should have gone up on a test site first. Marriages are from 1870 and deaths from 1878 will go up in due course following an announcement.
    Are you joking?!!

Where did you hear that? Wonder if that means they'll take them down first.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Where did you hear that? Wonder if that means they'll take them down first.

It makes sense. I tried to post the following earlier in response to Hermy but kept getting frozen out in the captcha loop.
    >>

I thought the last line ( of my post (#392) made it clear?

It’s a project management issue. As the data belongs to the GRO, issues are identified as ‘their’ problem even if the development side and launch are outside their direct control. The GRO should have made that clear to the developers at the outset, it’s their image, after all, even though some minister is right now havingspeeches drafted to claim the credit and say what a great job s/he has done.

When a firm has a revised software product under development it would be standard industry practice to run it in beta mode for a while, and include some trusted users as ‘testers’ to help identify any bugs to be ironed out before launch. However, ‘best practice’ is unheard of in our government circles which already has developed a hodgepodge of IT systems almost all of which are unable to talk to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Boscod

There was no mention of the 'new' records being removed, however there are now 'old' duplicates of these that have no images, and they will be removed. If I heard correctly, and I may not have, the problem occurred in Poland. I got the impression he had planned to announce the latest launch last night, but events superseded that.

Overall, Tadgh gave a very interesting talk on the history of the site, and the challenges that were overcome to achieve what we have today. The following are the takeaways in terms of future developments:

Next release, death records back to 1870, no date mentioned.
    Remaining death & marriage records back to 1864 /1845, eta mid 2018
    Other unspecified GRO record sets are currently being prepared, possibly WW1 and Deaths at Sea, which are not part of 'normal' records.
    RCBL registers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Boscod wrote: »
    I presume when that happens, URLs to individual records will 'break' again? (Has GRO ever said why URLs to records cannot stay permanent but change at updates? Very frustrating when references break.)
    P

So via an email from someone else at the talk last night, this is now what's on the site.

Births 1864-1916
    Marriages 1870 -1941
    Deaths 1891 - 1965

The indexes which show the Registration District as NR are a glitch on the website which will be sorted out soon.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    So via an email from someone else at the talk last night, this is now what's on the site.

Births 1864-1916
    Marriages 1870 -1941
    Deaths 1891 - 1965

The indexes which show the Registration District as NR are a glitch on the website which will be sorted out soon.

At this rate the 1926 census will be old news before they're finished!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Boscod wrote: »

Next release, death records back to 1870, no date mentioned.

Other unspecified GRO record sets are currently being prepared, possibly WW1 and Deaths at Sea, which are not part of 'normal' records.

RCBL registers.

:eek: :( So 2020 then? I think it's time to take a step back from my research; I'll spend the winter and spring (only, hopefully, he said cynically) on other endeavours.

• Advertisement

Fortunately (or unfortunately) what I'm researching at the moment predates civil registration so I'll not be stuck for something to do on that line of inquiry but it's frustrating that the whole thing isn't up and running by now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Don't forget you can always order the older records that are not yet imaged online.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'll still visit Werburgh Street for the important ones but I might hold off doing a big GRO download for a while yet.

Genealogy Forum Mod

1966 deaths are now indexed but no images yet. Tomorrow I presume.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

I can now see deaths back to 1881

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I'll still visit Werburgh Street for the important ones but I might hold off doing a big GRO download for a while yet.

Yesterday the GRO was as quiet as I have seen it,and staff appeared despondent, but there will still be a need for modern certs when all the historic records are free online.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

If you know the exact death date for someone, but they don't appear in search results, will the GRO staff do a search based on date alone?

• Advertisement

tabbey wrote: »
    ...staff appeared despondent...

Business as usual so.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement