Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foynes Line

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

You would think these would be designed in now. Especially speeds and bridges but most infrastructural work really.

Is there an actual customer on board to use this line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they seem to be laying new rail, rather than 2nd hand stuff from elsewhere on the network so you'd hope they're building it to passenger standards rather than having to relay it all again in a few years. The extra work would be the stations and maybe signalling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I'd say the Ryder Cup will ensure it's done to a good standard at least to Adare, sure that's why the N7 was built as it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I imagine the installation of level crossings will be a huge job. Anyone know how many there are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

13 road crossings and 50+ accommodation crossings

• Advertisement

I assume an accommodation crossing is for the farms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,539 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Generally. There's been huge efforts to close them on all lines in recent years - buy out the field it connects to or group a few together to build one bridge or whatever else works for each case. I'd hope they are doing that here - they are a significant safety risk and there have been a few incidents in recent years

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

it is all new rail and sleepers with restored foundational and drainage work. So a good chance this might carry passnengers in time - but it really should be reopened to Newcastle West to make that aspect reach full potential I'd say. Still, great news all around. Almost hard to believe, but here we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Paddico

What stations are people thinking? Adare has a population of just over 1000. Not many towns of that size can justify a train station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Tiernster7

I would say Adare is a destination for visitors more than a commuter channel. There is a considerable population who it would be the closest station to if going to Dublin, Limerick or Galway in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Foynes Line Reconstruction

Work is due to commence on reconstruction of the Limerick to Foynes for freight traffic in the coming weeks. In advance of phase one of the project, vegetation clearance is already underway and it appears that the route has been fully cleared. The last train operated over the route in 2001 and the line has gradually fallen into disrepair over the last 21 years. The current phase of work that is about to begin and the subsequent phases will facilitate rail freight services, but will not preclude the possibility of passenger services being reintroduced on this line in the future, but this would require further infrastructure upgrades and funding. The Ryder Cup Golf tournament is to be held at Adare, which the railway passes through in 2027 and it is mooted that a passenger service will be reinstated for this between Adare and nearby Limerick City. 

I undertook a photographic survey of the route on Sunday 27th November from Limerick City to Foynes. With the route being upgraded to modern standards no doubt many of the features of the route at stations and level crossings will vanish over the next three years.

Click https://bit.ly/3UhlSGj to view all the images.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

It the line going to end at the site of the old station or will it extend to the dockside itself? Sorry, I have never been there so unfamiliar with the location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,029 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There are stations in Ireland with way less. And also it's about growth potential.

Patrickswell would be an important one with the amount of commuting from there to Limerick or as a park and ride. Also a station in Raheen Industrial Estate would be vital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

The station and other Irish rail land are adjacent to the dockside anyway so I don't think there are any third party landholders to get in the way of them running the tracks wherever works best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭pigtown

The thing is though, where will people get a train to Raheen Industrial Estate from? Highly unlikely there'll be many from the city centre/Colbert. Maybe some from Adare and Patrickswell but not enough to justify a stop I imagine.

I don't think a couple of stations will be enough to effectively increase public transport use. Stations in population centres such as Corbally, Parkway, Kilteragh, and Lisnagry/Annacotty are all needed too.

I actually think the Parkway Shopping Centre should be levelled and replaced with a high density mixed use development of modern shopping centre and apartments with integrated train station.

The plan is to run a new spur from the port access road into the port. So the old station site won’t reopen.

Well what would happen in bigger cities would be big housing projects around the stations. No good just building the stations you would need to plan both together.

Those towns would become handy places for anyone working in the industrial estate or hospital who was looking for a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭pigtown

That's what I'm worried about- there's no plan to densify the areas around the proposed station locations. The new Development Plan has just been adopted and will be in place for 6 years.

In order to establish a successful (useful and effective and reasonably cost effective) urban rail network, it's not enough to just build a few stations and hope for the best.

I'd hate for the new stations to be ineffective and public sentiment to turn against investing in any more.

My dream would be for a few Oranmores around Limerick. Its doable on the Foynes and Dublin lines if the will is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Well, they’ve announced Moyross but I think a station at Corbally would be great. I’ve always thought that land to the back of O’Driscolls would be ideal for one.

• Advertisement

I can't see the point of the Moyross one. It will suit me on a few jaunts out to Ennis so personally not complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

In that case it would be nice to restore it to complement the Flying Boat Museum across the road, include an indoor bus waiting area out of it, it's an utter eyesore as it is.

Looking forward to walking a few sections of track over christmas before its taken up! I wonder would any construction crews give me an X sign from the old gates when being removed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭Markcheese

So is there expected to be 13 new level crossings ?

That in itself would be seriously expensive

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

So i believe. I was down there today. Crazy clearance work done. It seems only 2 Semaphore signals are left on the line just outside Raheen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Interesting thread on twitter about what's to be done on the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I was looking at the line on Google Maps. Just west of the old Ballingrane station there are 3 LCs within 1km, it should be fairly straightforward to close all three by building one bridge and linking up the existing roads. How would the cost of that compare to three LCs?

Would they build a bridge if it's a low traffic area ?

I think each level crossing is 2 or 3 million euro . (they were over 2 million ,15 or so years ago)

I suppose they could still close 2 out of 3 crossing..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

They built bridges for serving 4/5 houses in Co. Cork in recent years so some sort of rationalisation of LCs may be sensible.

The train frequency in this case may make that less viable though.

• Advertisement

I assume the cost of a LC is fairly fixed regardless of the level of traffic or train frequency. Obviously with low traffic and low frequency, the benefit could be said to be lower but you'd still be spending a couple of million quid which could be spent on something much safer (i.e. a bridge). A bridge seems a much better long term investment than three LCs, even if the bridge is more expensive. At that figure x 3, I think the bridge would be a better solution.

They got rid of a few manual crossings too and installed bridges in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 34 FrankLeeSpeaking

Some clowns are demanding the project be held up to accomadate a greenway being built next to the tracks. As if these types haven't consumed enough rail lines already.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Can you please explain how a greenway path alongside the railway would require "consuming" the railway?

I mean, if there's enough space on the alignment for the single track and the greenway, why can't the railway be laid out fairly quickly in a way which allows the greenway to be placed alongside it once it gets planning etc?

Theres loads of it offloaded below in Foynes. All new. Tho its in panels

There is not enough space for this, some of the route passes through narrow cuttings. It cannot be widened without blasting through solid rock, which costs money. The wanting something for nothing brigade strikes again.

They already have a lengthy greenway running from Ardagh to Listowel and looks likely to extend on into Tralee, surely that is enough for the kiddiwinks on their training wheels??

• Advertisement

The people campaigning for it say that IE own enough room beside the track for it to work. Might need to go round a few bridges alright. If that's incorrect then all that needs to be done is reject their request and explain why.

No need for all the vitriol here all because some people asked for a park/amenity in their area.

If there is space at this stage of reconstruction to allow for a Greenway In the future then it makes sense to ,

Obviously if it's difficult, costly or will significantly delay the reopening then it's not really a goer ..

Incidentally name one line that either closed because of a Greenway or wasn't reopened because of a Greenway ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the contract has already been awarded, I can't see the greenway happening. There may be space but it would require significant changes to the design and I would imagine planning permission is required (I don't think there's even a railway order for the current plans, it's just a straight re-opening of a mothballed line).

I'd say you're right. The line was never abandoned. Limerick County Council tried to declare the line as a protected structure in the mid 2000s to force Irish Rail to maintain it but it was blocked on the grounds that any upgrade work would require planning permission.

and loads of new bike bridges to be built. These people are hyper-entitled and really need get a grip.

• Advertisement

Maybe they should pay for it if they want it that badly?

They got the course of the former north kerry for a nominal fee, ie next to nothing.

Would you stop. The former north kerry line was rotting away, the Greenway has been a huge success for very little cost and has returned massive benefits.

If a Greenway were to be built to Foynes, it'll be paid for by the DoT, same as the rail reopening. There's no shortage of hyper-entitled people around.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Lads, greenways pay for themselves many times over long before railways do. So, the above just looks like petty ranting.

If somebody is wrong about the available space and there isn't enough space, it doesn't mean that they are looking for rock blasting. That's a bizarre comment to make. I mean, even if there were just some narrow spots, the greenway could be routed away from the railway at those points.

The childish comment about training wheels says more about you than it does about anybody else.

The poverty mindset that bridges aren't worth building where needed is a symptom of how backward mindsets are from some in railway circles.

Also, the overall hangup some rail people have against greenways reminds me of the old thing about the rich guy telling the middle-class guy that poor people eat their lunch.

The railline and RoW is for FREIGHT TRAINS only deal with it.

There is no dispute of that, it seems you are the one who is struggling to deal with it. The railway is being upgraded and brought back into use which is apparently exactly what you want yet you still act as though cyclists pissed in your cornflakes.

Also greenways are not just for cyclists. So many people seem to get this wrong.

Greenways are great if the line is a clear non runner.

Its building greenways on the likes of the Youghal line that grinds my gears.

Youghal is a clear non runner

,regular services ended in 63 ,

Sixty years ago

I think the last freight was beet in the early 80s ..

IE has kept ownership of the line , and could either partially re-open (to mogely for eg) on a shared line basis or totally ..

But they're not going to ... Have no plans to ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

in fairness it is a runner but there is going to have to be more development in the areas.

IE don't do plans for anything so that's irrelevant really, most of what they have done has been forced upon them rather then being done off their own back, the introduction of maynooth services in the 80s, reopening of the phoenix park tunnel to passengers, introduction of higher frequencies on lines in the mid 2000s as examples of where they have been forced to do things they wouldn't have done off their own back.

any of the closed lines that have been reopened have had their services end in the 60s or 70s, so that's irrelevant really, as if we aren't going to reopen anything because it lost it's services in 63, 67 or 76 then we will never reopen anything or should never have reopened anything, meaning the midleton branch which is part of the youghal line would never have reopened which would have been a stupid decision if it wasn't reopened.

navan lost it's services in 1958 as well as another example.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

Greenways are not necessarily some sort of silver bullet for instant tourism and money either. What works for one area may not work in another. The GST has been there for decades and the area it passes through is still a tourism backwater, a local greenway for local people, if you will. If a railway is a runner and can take trucks and cars off the roads let's go with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement