Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

But he hit it twice so penalty. Why no penalty? New rule comes into effect 1st of Jan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

From my reading of it the salient point is did the player him/herself feel a double hit, from Tiger's stance he was partially blind to the shot and when questioned afterwards said he did not feel or see a double hit so that's it over and done with as TV footage cannot be used to impose a penalty.
    I saw the slowmo first and immediately thought that was a double (if not more than double) strike but looking at it in real time from over Tiger's shoulder it is completely different perspective.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I've just watched the slow motion replay a few times and I don't think it was a double hit at all. I do however think it was a scoop shot and not a stroke. Important to distinguish the two as a scoop shot is a 2 stroke penalty and a double hit is only 1 stroke (no penalty from January).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Russman

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    But he hit it twice so penalty. Why no penalty? New rule comes into effect 1st of Jan.

From Decision 34-3/10........

When Video Evidence Reveals Things that Could Not Reasonably be Seen with the Naked Eye. The use of video technology can make it possible to identify things that could not reasonably be seen with the naked eye. Examples of this include:

When a player unknowingly touches a few grains of sand in a backswing with a club in making a stroke from a bunker.
    When a player is unaware that the club struck the ball more than once in the course of making a single stroke.
    In such situations, if the Committee concludes that such facts could not reasonably have been seen with the naked eye and the player was not otherwise aware of a potential breach of the Rules, the player will be deemed not to have breached the Rules, even when video technology shows otherwise. See also Decision 18/4. In applying this “naked eye” standard, the issue is whether the facts could have been seen by the player or someone else close by who was looking at the situation, not whether the player or anyone else actually saw it happen.

I’m no fan of Woods, but I think in this case it’s probably a fair enough ruling. In real time there’s no way it looked like a double (or more) hit, yet it’s obvious in the slo mo that the club almost scooped the ball out.

HighLine wrote: »
    I've just watched the slow motion replay a few times and I don't think it was a double hit at all. I do however think it was a scoop shot and not a stroke. Important to distinguish the two as a scoop shot is a 2 stroke penalty and a double hit is only 1 stroke (no penalty from January).

The funny thing is the double hit "penalty" is gone next year but the player must add the second "hit/stroke" to their score so same end result

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    The funny thing is the double hit "penalty" is gone next year but the player must add the second "hit/stroke" to their score so same end result

No that's not the case. If it's an accidental double hit, a player counts the single stroke they took to strike the ball, rather than counting two shots for hitting the ball twice.

10(1)A
    https://www.randa.org/en/rog/2019/rules/the-rules-of-golf/rule-10

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

You are wrong there I think Slave

You're correct guys, could have sworn I saw somewhere the second strike was to be added

It was in that PGA piece I linked to earlier about adding the second "hit"

They said...
    Starting in 2019, the rule will change, with no penalty assessed but the second stroke added to the scorecard

I misinterpreted it

It was in that PGA piece I linked to earlier about adding the second "hit"

They said...
    Starting in 2019, the rule will change, with no penalty assessed but the second stroke added to the scorecard

I misinterpreted it

That's very poorly phrased in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭Trampas

It was a scoop and I’m sure woods knew it was one to. Let’s be honest most of us who’ve done it would know when we’ve scooped it.

You’d find it very hard to move it far on such a short swing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

What a hilarious 4 holes from Alex noren!! Just went birdie, eagle, triple bogey, hole in one!!!!

What a hilarious 4 holes from Alex noren!! Just went birdie, eagle, triple bogey, hole in one!!!!

What I’d give to go triple bogey, triple bogey, triple bogey, hole in one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭abff

Following Justin Rose's 3rd place finish at the weekend, the gap at the top of the world rankings has reduced to just over .01 - 9.9739 for Koepka vs 9.9607 for Rose.

Assuming none of the top guys play again this year (or leastways, not in a ranking tournament), I calculate that this gap will increase to .04 in Koepka's favour next week.

But Rose will then take over as world number 1 for the last three weeks of the year, with a projected year end average of 9.77 vs 9.63 for Koepka. This is due to Rose's result in Hong Kong in week 50 of 2016 falling out of the reckoning.

He should have been playing modified stableford scoring - those 4 holes would have been worth 9 points to him.

abff wrote: »
    Following Justin Rose's 3rd place finish at the weekend, the gap at the top of the world rankings has reduced to just over .01 - 9.9739 for Koepka vs 9.9607 for Rose.

Assuming none of the top guys play again this year (or leastways, not in a ranking tournament), I calculate that this gap will increase to .04 in Koepka's favour next week.

But Rose will then take over as world number 1 for the last three weeks of the year, with a projected year end average of 9.77 vs 9.63 for Koepka. This is due to Rose's result in Hong Kong in week 50 of 2016 falling out of the reckoning.

I see Rose is playing in Indonesia this week, defending a title he won last year. The OWGR website is showing the tournament as being worth 24 points to the winner, but hasn't published the field.

Assuming 24 points is correct, Rose will need to finish 16th or better to move back to the top of the world rankings next Monday. To finish the year as world number one, he will require a top 12 finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He was in 4th place going into the final round

And then this happened ::

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/justin-rose-s-indonesian-open-meltdown-costs-him-top-ranking-1.3733028
    Justin Rose’s Indonesian Open meltdown costs him top ranking

Justin Rose failed to reclaim the world number one ranking after a final round meltdown at the Indonesian Masters on Sunday as Thai Poom Saksansin claimed the title for the second time with a three-shot victory.

Rose’s title defence was effectively ended by a third-round 71 but, starting the day in a share of fourth, the tie for 16th with one other player or better he needed to replace American Brooks Koepka at the top of the rankings looked straightforward.

The 38-year-old’s putting let him down badly, however, and he started with a bogey before adding a double bogey at the second when he twice failed to chip the ball up a bank and onto the green.

Worse was to come at the 12th when he had a birdie putt ended up with a triple bogey, which he followed with another bogey at the 13th.

The Olympic champion birdied his final two holes amid gusting winds as a storm bore down on the course but it was too little, too late and he signed for a three-over-par 75 which left him in a share of 17th on six under.

https://www.asiantour.com/results/BNI-Indonesian-Masters-t1096/4

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Does anyone actually like Rory McIlroy?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Gwynplaine wrote: »

Not me..ever since his refusal to play for Ireland in the Olympics that same country that put so much money into honing his talents throughout his amateur days and he gives the two fingers . WEST BRIT !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I like him.

Sure he's made some mistakes but who hasn't

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

Rikand wrote: »
    I like him.

Sure he's made some mistakes but who hasn't

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone
    Relgious thread now ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I like him ....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Not me..ever since his refusal to play for Ireland in the Olympics that same country that put so much money into honing his talents throughout his amateur days and he gives the two fingers . WEST BRIT !
    You are new to boards I see. Have a read of the forum charter before posting again or your time on here will be short. That type of post doesn’t belong here

Keano wrote: »
    You are new to boards I see. Have a read of the forum charter before posting again or your time on here will be short. That type of post doesn’t belong here

The question was asked, I answered . Problem is ?? Don't go PC on me

Keano wrote: »

Charter just read..Sorry boss ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 37,651 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Keano wrote:
    Do you mind me asking what was wrong with his post?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

eagle eye wrote: »
    The term "west brit" being used as a derogatory description of Master McElroy. Its just not Cricket old bean.

eagle eye wrote: »

I'd say it's this one specifically...

Discussing Players Nationalities
    It is forbidden to post discussions about what Nationality a player is or who they should play for. This is purely the players decision and does not belong on this forum

We went through rant after rant on the whole Rory Irl Vs UK olympics etc so a good rule to stop the trolls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

Justin Rose has a chance to get back to World Number 1 without playing this week.
    Brooks Koepka needs to finish T8 to stay at the top but is +3 and 30th out of 33 players after the first round of the Tournament of Champions

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement