Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair and their cancellations

Options
  • 21-03-2020 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

So Ryanair look to make some amount of money from people who can’t travel and can’t cancel their flights.

My friend was due to fly to Alicante this evening and return Monday. Her return flight was cancelled but unable to cancel it online or apply for the refund. The online form keeps freezing. No way to contact them, they won’t respond.

I can only assume that many people will let this slide and just forget about it. Don’t suppose the regulator will step in and sanction them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 danny28ryan

I received a text message this evening advising me to look at my email regarding my flight ref no
    No email has been received but I logged on to my Ryanair account and looked at my bookings. My flight to UK on 2/4 has been cancelled.

I've filled out the refund form but everytime I try to submit it, it keeps rejecting it saying it can't process to due high volumes of refund requests and to try again another time..... I think many people will get fed up of attempting this and Ryanair will still get the money. I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I'd say do an inbox search

Should be from Ryanair Cancellations and titled: Important Information Regarding your Ryanair Flight

They arrived for me after getting the text messages.

Follow the link from that and it works perfectly.

I tried earlier via the 'My Bookings" but it wasn't working; various errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Are you using auto fill? If so try typing everything in as normal. Don’t auto fill any of the boxes.

This seems to be an issue on a number of websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Received two cancellation texts yesterday, the emails followed on and I used the provided links. Filled in the details on the digital form using a iPad and they both went through seamlessly.
    I’m awaiting one more cancellation notification for a mid April flight. But I imagine I will receive that next week or the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I got 2 refund forms submitted earlier after several days of failed attempts. Quiet Sunday is good for their systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭satguy

Lots of people having issues with Ryanair refunds,, it seems the have the refund page / section set to work best at 4:00am to 5:00am in the morning.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058062071&page=12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Are you entitled to anything if they cancel one part of your booking. They cancelled her return flight and leave her outbound one as is despite dfa advising against travel to Spain. Seems to me like a money making racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭satguy

MOL has to fly planes out to bring people home, so

If people paid to fly out on that flight, tell them to turn up, then when people dont turn up, they are deemed to have missed their flight.
    That way MOL can keep their money, and he gets to fly out an empty plane,, execpt most of those empty seats have been paid for.

It's just what MOL is good at,, and in a few weeks he will have his hand out for a government handout.

Only my outbound flight had been cancelled thus far but I was able to submit the refund for both journeys.

I got my cancellation email 24 hours after my cancellation text. The link on that allowed me to input information and it was accepted straight away. It was in a slightly different format than the one I had used myself under "manage my bookings" so my advice would be to wait until the Ryanair email is received and follow their link rather than try and do it yourself even if, like I tried, your flight shows up on the Web page as cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭cson

satguy wrote: »
    It's just what MOL is good at,, and in a few weeks he will have his hand out for a government handout.

He won't.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0320/1124398-ryanair-to-cut-staff-and-executive-pay-by-50/

They could survive up to 12 months he thinks, which is multiples longer than virtually every other airline at the moment. It's just what MOL is good at I guess; running a successful airline that can survive such a crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

cson wrote: »
    He won't.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0320/1124398-ryanair-to-cut-staff-and-executive-pay-by-50/

They could survive up to 12 months he thinks, which is multiples longer than virtually every other airline at the moment. It's just what MOL is good at I guess; running a successful airline that can survive such a crisis.

And as soon as the crisis passes all these people who are complaining now will be back booking cheap Ryanair flights to beat the band.

cson wrote: »
    He won't.

If any money is being handed out you can be damn sure he will be taking a piece of the pie especially when it comes to staff salaries.

That's different to whether they need it to survive or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

IngazZagni wrote: »
    If any money is being handed out you can be damn sure he will be taking a piece of the pie especially when it comes to staff salaries.

That's different to whether they need it to survive or not.

why would he not do that. Besides if they give it to one airline they have to give it to all.

why would he not do that. Besides if they give it to one airline they have to give it to all.

Of course. That’s my point. This notion that he won’t is nonsense. He might not be the one to ask for it but he’ll definitely be the person taking the handouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Did anyone get a confirmation email, after successfully submitting their refund request?

A bit at the end said:

"A confirmation email will be sent to the address provided in your booking"

But I'm not sure if that confirmation is reliant on a refund approval.

I took screenshots of the cancelled flights I requested refunds for, where it said

"Once approved your refund request will be processed within (5...7...20) working days"

As a part of me doesn't trust Ryanair not to pull some kind of technicality, leaving the clock run down for processing the requests until after the flight dates, so that they no longer have to refund anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I got my cancellation email 24 hours after my cancellation text. The link on that allowed me to input information and it was accepted straight away. It was in a slightly different format than the one I had used myself under "manage my bookings" so my advice would be to wait until the Ryanair email is received and follow their link rather than try and do it yourself even if, like I tried, your flight shows up on the Web page as cancelled.

I went through the refund page on my bookings and seemed to go through okay but haven't received a follow up email or such. I kept a PDF of the confirmation so hopefully all good, I don't really mind if it takes 4 weeks or so as it's small money and I'm not hard up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Got my refund email last friday, followed link, filled it out, submitted, took PDF of confirmation and saved it.

Got another email off them this morning asking me to do the same! should i do it again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

dashoonage wrote: »
    Got my refund email last friday, followed link, filled it out, submitted, took PDF of confirmation and saved it.

Got another email off them this morning asking me to do the same! should i do it again ?
    If you try do it again it'll say unable to process as already previous refund application.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millhouse

I've had my return flight from Manchester cancelled but my outgoing flight is still operating from Dublin.
    Won't be making outbound trip anyway given the current situation but the sneaky fu**ers wont give me a refund for the outgoing part as it's still operational.
    As its obviously part of a 2 way journey, you would imagine they would recognise you aren't going to travel.
    I'll claim the refund on the return flight but yet another bad taste in my mouth having dealt with Ryanair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭kjbsrah1

Should be from Ryanair Cancellations and titled: Important Information Regarding your Ryanair Flight

This has just worked for me after almost a week of trying to use the Refund link on the Ryanair page. Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I applied on Friday last for refund, so will going looking Wednesday at bank A/C.

However, receipt says it'll be sent back to original payment form which is to bank A/C I've closed & switched from since.

Do you think they'll forward to my new A/C? Will ask bank anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pms7

Thank you, didn't work from website, forgot about email

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

How far ahead are Ryanair cancelling flights or offering free rebooking?

I've got flights booked for Spain in mid June. I'm obviously not going to be using them and I expect Ryanair will not be back flying by then, but when can I expect my cancellation email?

Phoebas wrote: »

I've got flights booked for Spain in mid June. I'm obviously not going to be using them and I expect Ryanair will not be back flying by then, but when can I expect my cancellation email?

Oh they don't send out notifications until the very last minute, they want people to just move the flights (instead of cancel) so they can hold onto the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

I had a flight booked for 9th of April to Portugal, they cancelled the flight and emailed me last Tuesday 24th, still waiting on refund which I finally submitted Friday am.
    That was after at least 25 attempts.

I had a flight booked for 9th of April to Portugal, they cancelled the flight and emailed me last Tuesday 24th, still waiting on refund which I finally submitted Friday am.
    That was after at least 25 attempts.

Well that's good to see that their policies have improved from my experience 4 days prior to yours i.e. flight 20th, cancellation notice late on the 19th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

theteal wrote: »
    Well that's good to see that their policies have improved from my experience 4 days prior to yours i.e. flight 20th, cancellation notice late on the 19th.

That's diabolical. You can retrospectively apply for a refund on a cancelled flight I'm sure.
    I'm a bit dubious about this 5-7 working day refund time, time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭YakerK

At this point it's not "obvious" that you wont use. No one knows yet what the advise/restrictions will look like then! It might seem likely that you will be prevented from taking the flight, but there isn't any certainty of that yet and unlikely to be any certainty until much closer to the time! No airline is going to offer you a refund in that circumstances and they wont conform a cancellation until they have no choice but to cancel.

All you can do right now is hold out and wait to see what happens. Wouldn't expect that you'll know before early june myself.

• Advertisement

Why? It's March now. Unless this turns into a full on apocalypse June should be ok to fly.

If not, they will tell you and you can apply for the refund. As if this morning they won't take bookings before 9th May to Spain but my April flights is still showing as scheduled.

Would be nice to know but Ryanair like all others are busy and under pressure

Advertisement