Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Rikand wrote: »
    Ah here!

It's like preferring the pain of a headache to the pain of being kicked in the balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

what this week proved is that Clarke is absolutely awful and should never be let near a microphone again.He's horrifically phoney. He's that bad I actually miss Montgomerie.

He voice is very strange when commenting. Its like he's talking through his teeth, he needs to open his teeth more or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Great coverage on BBC. No ads is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

about 5 mins behind give me sport on facebook although would sooner listen to bbc than us commentary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Rikand wrote: »
    Great coverage on BBC. No ads is great!

Which channel is it on, I can't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

Oh good lord, give it back to sky,commentary on Eir is painfull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Eoinyh wrote: »
    Oh good lord, give it back to sky,commentary on Eir is painfull

I don't notice any difference to the usual PGA tour commentary from golf channel or CBS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

BBC is woeful too. I can deal with a few adverts so I can listen to people in touch with a sport.

Can't stand the ads myself, 7 hours solid of golf. It's fantastic.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Tyson Fury wrote:
    Can't stand the ads myself, 7 hours solid of golf. It's fantastic.

Nothing wrong with the BBC commentary team. Mark James, Ken Brown, Peter Alliss and Maureen Madill are all well up to the job.

They have to take the pics from US coverage which limits their options but they are doing OK.

First Up wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the BBC commentary team. Mark James, Ken Brown, Peter Alliss and Maureen Madill are all well up to the job.

They have to take the pics from US coverage which limits their options but they are doing OK.

The only thing bothering me at the moment is the sound or lack thereof.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Tyson Fury wrote:
    The only thing bothering me at the moment is the sound or lack thereof.

The sound is fine on my set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Can't beat a bit of Peter Alliss commentary, he's always been my favourite so delighted he's back commentating at a major.

Mark James comes out with some great one liners too.

Ken Brown is quality as always, witty as well as informative.

Maureen I could take or leave.

Overall I'd say BBC have a stronger commentary box line-up than Sky who are dragged down by the likes of McGinley and Clarke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Which channel is it on, I can't see it.

The red button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

I agree with most I love the BBC commentary & no Ads but I really miss the Sky cart, post round interviews with the Pro's and the tips they give in the studio as it breaks the golf up a bit..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭bmay529

I have to say it is good not to have ads on BBC BUT watching highlights late in the evening when you know the result does not compare with watching a live feed. Bring back a live Sky feed

bmay529 wrote: »
    I have to say it is good not to have ads on BBC BUT watching highlights late in the evening when you know the result does not compare with watching a live feed. Bring back a live Sky feed

In fairness there was 7 hours of live coverage on a free to air channel. Not bad.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I enjoyed the BBC red button coverage.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    In fairness there was 7 hours of live coverage on a free to air channel. Not bad.

I know probably a silly question to some but how can I get the BBC free to air coverage. I have a Virgin Horizon box on cable feed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭dball

peege wrote: »
    Follow these instructions to add the red button channels manually

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057094385/2

Thanks dball but does that not relate to sky box whereas I have a Virgin horizon box on cable!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

NDWC wrote: »
    Can't beat a bit of Peter Alliss commentary, he's always been my favourite so delighted he's back commentating at a major.

Still pin-sharp, amazing at his age.

I remember watching a golf major on the BBC years ago and when a guy hit an indifferent chip, old Peter observed: "It's like a prospective son-in-law, one's always looking for something better." His American co-commentator totally lost it, couldn't speak for about two minutes.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Who is the Australian Guy (not Ian Baker-Finch) on TNT's coverage being show on Eir. He's absolutely horrendous all he does is juts list out a couple of tournaments the player has won in the past and that's it from him.He's terribly bland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Have to say I find the BBC commentators a bit out of touch and not as knowledge as the sky folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Lots of moaning about masters coverage again this year. What's the deal with this is this a sky issue or do the masters organisers themselves not want coverage over the first few days for some reason?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Augusta dictate when coverage can start

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

They should dictate who commentates and kick Mcginley out the gap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Keano wrote: »
    Augusta dictate when coverage can start
    It's the same every year. The best golf tournament of the year and the one where you see the least amount of golf. All the filler on sky is mind numbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

It's the same every year. The best golf tournament of the year and the one where you see the least amount of golf. All the filler on sky is mind numbing.
    Coverage doesn’t start until 8, so Sky have to fill the time somehow.

Would you prefer if they just went live at 8 and had no buildup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

This is the first year that I've been free to watch the Masters but the Sky coverage is absolute crap. The red button doesn't work and all I've seen so far is McGinley and Harmon etc having a mutual admiration session.
    Is it always this bad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Roger_007 wrote: »
    This is the first year that I've been free to watch the Masters but the Sky coverage is absolute crap. The red button doesn't work and all I've seen so far is McGinley and Harmon etc having a mutual admiration session.
    Is it always this bad?

yep. Paul is a nice gut but very bland on this. Butch just scares me staring at the camera

mc ginley looks like he was auditioning for Dallas reboot earlier today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

I don't know how sky can advertise this as 'live'...they are miles behind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,959 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Only noticed now that my Sky is not HD

Is Sky HD extra money - I'm with the terrible virgin.

Like watching golf about 10 years ago with trees and grain a bit blurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Only noticed now that my Sky is not HD

Is Sky HD extra money - I'm with the terrible virgin.

Like watching golf about 10 years ago with trees and grain a bit blurry.
    Yep, pretty annoyed with the quality, looks worse than normal channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭obi604

Hi

What channels is the master on?

Is it something like sky sports only on Thursday and Friday. Then also on BBC on Saturday and Sunday.

• Advertisement

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Yep, pretty annoyed with the quality, looks worse than normal channels.

Probably have there own cameras or some crap like that that you get at this event.

obi604 wrote: »
    Hi

What channels is the master on?

Is it something like sky sports only on Thursday and Friday. Then also on BBC on Saturday and Sunday.
    On Eir Sports too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,068 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Eoinyh wrote: »
    They should dictate who commentates and kick Mcginley out the gap

they can and do. pretty sure it was either feherty or mccord who they banned from the place

im watching it on OSN HD, uninterrupted coverage, no adds, no studio, just lots of golf

Seve OB wrote: »
    they can and do. pretty sure it was either feherty or mccord who they banned from the place

im watching it on OSN HD, uninterrupted coverage, no adds, no studio, just lots of golf

what is OSN seve and how are you watching.

what is OSN seve and how are you watching.

TV its the local sports station here.
    Its the best coverage I've seen in ages, just loads of golf, so the pictures are there if SKY etc want to pick them up they clearly can. Sure there are the usual breaks to show the leaderboards and a few flowers, but in fairness, they are very quick and not that often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭obi604

TV its the local sports station here.
    Its the best coverage I've seen in ages, just loads of golf, so the pictures are there if SKY etc want to pick them up they clearly can. Sure there are the usual breaks to show the leaderboards and a few flowers, but in fairness, they are very quick and not that often.

Where is “here”

obi604 wrote: »
    Where is “here”

Dubai, sorry, fix knows where I am. On hols.

Just had a single ad for trivago pop up there while the commentators were mid sentence and came back mid sentence.... weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Beem made the mistake of saying "fans" earlier. Apologised immediately and banged on about patrons for a good 2mins thereafter. Laughable.

"fans" - you can get away with if followed up with an apology.
    if you say "crowd" the heavens open up and your entire being is transported to Canada - where you live the remainder of your life in exile

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Watched on EIR picture was good commentary ok but headwrecking watching the same fecking ads every few minutes although the golf simulator looks cool thinking of getting one for the spare room after I have my weekends away in Dromoland Castle and the K Club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

One positive on Poulter winning last week is we dont have to listen to him on the sky coverage. Hopefully he'll just scrape in on the cut line and we will also be saved from any potential weekend work with Sky.

Im not sure i could handle him and Mcginley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Paul McGinley is fast becoming the John Madden of golf commentators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I flicked over to the US commentary for a while actually and f**king hell.
    Jim Nantz and Nick Faldo, jesus f**king wept. You might as well just mute the TV. Bad enough having to listen to Nantz for 20 weeks during NFL season without that.

McGinley and Butch was a small compromise i suppose. :pac:

I like McGinley, offers a lot more than most on sky imo.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I watched on the sky red button last night, was able to flick between the main converage / amen corner / holes 15 & 16 and the featured groups. Thought it was excellent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement