Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

We can't win an All Ireland without him so depends what the goal is. Happy to fall short or take the risk on our match winner.

He was correctly sent off against Tipp this year, the only time he has ever been for Waterford. He was sent off yesterday but I don't think it was the right decision. Neither his hurley nor his elbow are raised but his timing is off. Made worse because he's way more powerful than Nolan. I really don't understand how he could be considered a liability.

De burca gave a MOTM performance at centre back at the weekend for Clashmore v Modeligo. A dirty enough game he took a bit of punishment himself. Definetly looks ready to step back into the county setup, probably been advantaged by COVID to have him back as it would have been too late had the normal intercounty season gone ahead

I presume Tom Devine didn't line out with Modeligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Love to see Lismore win the senior but they can be inconsistent

Maurice deff should be brought back into the Waterford set up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

How are people enjoying the hurling and football championships been spilt is it something that should be kept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

How are people enjoying the hurling and football championships been spilt is it something that should be kept

Think it's a good idea, dual clubs can focus on one and condensed it for the other clubs. If you're a hurling only club, do you need a 8 week championship to last 4 months just because somebody else is playing football, or vice versa?

I also think the GPA suggestion of County played at the start of the year and then club makes more sense as regards a split season. That way, you won't see the mass arguments this year where clubs were worried county players would be taken away for training. Clubs can play leagues while inter county is going on.

And I really do think a split season is the way to go. Not quite as condensed as this years championship, but not much longer. It seems fairer for everybody, will reinvigorate interest in the club game and give players the certainty around a schedule that they crave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I presume Tom Devine didn't line out with Modeligo?

No he’s gone back to NZ I beleive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Love to see Lismore win the senior but they can be inconsistent

Maurice deff should be brought back into the Waterford set up

You'd be one of few

Western Intermediate Hurling Semi Finals
    Clashmore vs An Rinn- Sat 15th Aug 1.30pm Fraher Field
    Ballyduff Upper vs Shamrocks- Sun 16th Aug 2pm Fraher Field

Eastern Intermediate Hurling Semi Finals
    Ballyduff Lower vs Erins Own- Sat 15th Aug 6pm Dunhill
    Dunhill vs Portlaw- Sun 16th Aug 6pm Kill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Go with

An Rinn
    BallyDuff upper
    BallyDuff lower
    Portlaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Gardner

4 tasty games

i'd go with
    An Rinn
    Shamrocks
    Erins Own
    Dunhill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

thesultan wrote: »
    You'd be one of few

To be fair theywere unlucky to come up against dominant Ballygunner and Mount sion teams in the 90s and 00s. They were in the top 3 teams in the county for that period but just a bit behind those 2. They had some outstanding players like Growler Daly, Dan Shan, the Bennett’s, brendan landers and joxer O’Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Granted, I haven't seen any if em, but on form I'd probably pick the two Ballyduffs, An Rinn and Dunhill.

A Ballyduff Upper vs Ballyduff Lower intermediate county final would be an odd one and unusual in terms of names but I suppose there have been Sarsfields vs Sarsfields before in other counties/provinces

I'd fancy Ballyduff Upper for the West and Dunhill for the East

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Predictably, the big game in the Waterford Senior Hurling Championship last weekend was that between Lismore and Dungarvan, the only game in which places in the quarter finals were still up for grabs.

Dungarvan are probably still wondering how they managed to score 4-19 in a 60-minute game at this level and still lose by five points. They put a big effort into this game. Unfortunately for them, Lismore put in a big effort too, and they had better hurlers.

A big problem for Dungarvan here was the porosity of their defence. Three of the Lismore goals came from Dungarvan’s inability to protect possession which should have been theirs. However, fair dues to Lismore for having the tenacity to win possession in these situations and then turn that possession into pure gold.

With Jack Prendergast running riot, Lismore built up an early seven-point lead, but Dungarvan fought back to reduce that to just one point at half-time. Lismore again went seven points up in the third quarter, but by the 54th minute Dungarvan had brought this back to just two. However, by then Dungarvan had been reduced to 14 men, and a couple of bad wides put paid to their brave fightback. Lismore swooped for several further scores, and Johnny Burke’s late goal only had the effect of making the losing margin respectable.

Once again, Maurice Shanahan was Lismore’s outstanding performer. He did not repeat the previous week’s scoring exploits, while still ending up with a handy nine points (eight frees). However, he played a key role in setting up three of his team’s goals and generally terrorised the Dungarvan defence from start to finish.

Lismore’s corner forwards Ray Barry (3-2) and Oisín O’Gorman (2-0) had a field day, with Barry in particular producing his best performance in the black and amber shirt for quite a while. Up front Jack Prendergast was in irresistable form, although strangely he spent much of the second half in a sweeping role behind his own half backs.

The other player to really catch the eye for them was Cárthach Daly (just out of minor) at right half back. He plays with great drive and pace and fantastic skill. A real prospect. His brother Iarlaith and David Prendergast also showed up well in defence.

Despite their loss, Dungarvan will take some heart from the performance of wing forward Johnny Burke, also just out of minor. A big lad and good in the air, he provided a very fruitful outlet for Dungarvan puckouts. He did very well when taking over the free-taking duties after Patrick Curran missed a couple of handy early frees, and also notched 1-2 from play. He was anonymous in Dungarvan’s first game against Fourmilewater, but on this showing he is an excellent prospect.

Despite his free-taking problems, Patrick Curran made a huge contribution to the Dungarvan cause with two super goals and four points from play. Dungarvan also had good performances from Michael Kiely, Darragh Lyons and Jamie Nagle. Tristan Loftus, another member of last year’s Waterford minor team, who did well in Dungarvan’s game against Fourmilewater at left half back, again made an impression here in the half forward line.

On this kind of form, Lismore could be genuine championship contenders. However, inconsistency had repeatedly been their bugbear. Last year they again impressed in the round robin games but completely failed to show up for their quarter final game against Mount Sion.

Inconsistency has also been a recurring problem for Abbeyside, further aggravated by poor discipline. Both of these were again in evidence in their game against De La Salle. They had a player sent off after just five minutes, and instead of the authoritative fluency of their performance against Ballysaggart we were treated to a display of fumbling, misplaced and overhit passes and missed frees (including a penalty). However, they kept plugging away, and while De La Salle were always clearly the better team, they never managed to put Abbeyside away.

Neil Montgomery appeared to give a struggling Village side a lifeline with a superb individual goal just before half-time, but this was negatived by Kevin Moran’s goal shortly after the restart. Abbeyside were strengthened by a number of second half substitutions, with a resultant improved supply to their dangermen in the full forward line, Michael Kiely and Mark Ferncombe. They did cause some problems for the DLS defence, but although several half-chances were created, they failed to get the goals they needed to get them back in the game.

Shane McNulty had another excellent game for DLS, while another member of their team to impress me was corner forward Reuben Halloran (yes, another minor from last year) who showed an impressive turn of pace.
    I suppose the highlight of the Roanmore/Mount Sion game was the second minute red-carding of Austin Gleeson. While the manner of his hit on Brian Nolan was presumably not deliberate, it was careless and dangerous, and I thought myself it merited sending off. It set the scene for a feisty game between these close rivals, with lots of further cards being issued.

Roanmore added to the impression given by their first game against Clonea of a well-balanced and well-organised team with a good skill level. They started off very positively, and with Mount Sion rocked by the Gleeson sending-off, Roanmore built up a good early lead. However, after the water break, Sion came back strongly and were just one point down at the end of a first half replete with excellent scores from both sides.

In the second half, there was only one team in it, with Gavin O’Brien driving Roanmore on from midfield and wing forward Paul O’Sullivan notching six points from play in a tour-de-force performance. Billy Nolan was not as prominent as in the previous game, but still fired home the goal which put the game definitively beyond Sion’s reach. Mount Sion’s outstanding player was full back Luke O’Brien who, I believe, is underage for under-20 this year.

In the final game of the weekend, Ballygunner won as they pleased against a Passage side which was at sixes and sevens from the throw-in, and whose lack of self-belief was reflected in a series of first-half shots which fell short and into the hand of Ballygunner goalkeeper Stephen O’Keeffe. By contrast, Ballygunner’s well-honed silky skills were always in evidence.

One should admire Ballygunner’s work rate here, despite the fact that the result was inevitable from an early stage. While their coaches deserve commendation for this, presumably another factor is the level of competition for some places on the team. This was reflected in the quality of the substitutes they were able to bring on, including Conor Power, Barry O’Sullivan, Eddie Hayden and JJ Hutchinson.

I have always been an admirer of Ballygunner’s corner back Ian Kenny, and again his effortless class was readily apparent here. He, Barry Coughlan and Billy O’Keeffe make up a formidable full back line. I was also impressed by the work rate and quiet efficiency of Paddy Leavy at midfield. He reads the game well, gets a lot of possession and then moves it on with no great fuss, using his strength and size to hold the ball up when placed under pressure.

For the second week in a row, Noel Connors was almost completely anonymous. While Maurice Shanahan has been busting a gut for Lismore, I think we can take it that Connors has no interest in regaining his place on the county team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Gardner

Senior games this weekend

Roanmore vs Passage
    Ballygunner vs Fourmilewater
    Mount Sion vs DLS
    Lismore vs Abbeyside

Predictions
    Narrow win for Roanmore
    Ballygunner
    DLS
    Lismore narrow win

Gardner wrote: »
    Senior games this weekend

Roanmore vs Passage
    Ballygunner vs Fourmilewater
    Mount Sion vs DLS
    Lismore vs Abbeyside

Predictions
    Narrow win for Roanmore
    Ballygunner
    DLS
    Lismore narrow win

Yeah its so hard to trust Roanmore and Lismore, u wouldn't be surprised to see 1 of them lose

Ballygunner should win handy

DLS could be rattled by Aussie will be a massive loss for Mount Sion

Some news from the Western Intermediate and Junior Hurling championship:

County minor from last year, Jack Ó Floinn, playing at left half back, was described as being “superb” in the Dungarvan Leader’s account of An Rinn’s big win over Stradbally in the Intermediate quarter final. Donie Breathnach scored 2-12 (1-3 from play) in this game.

Colm Roche scored 16 (five from play) of Shamrocks’ total of 25 points in their three-point win over Ardmore. Tadhg de Búrca was excellent in Clashmore-Kinsalebeg’s last-gasp one-point win over Modeligo. Former county player Mikey Kearney scored an extraordinary 4-9 (4-4 from play) in Ballyduff Upper’s win over St Mary’s of Touraneena.

Darragh Fives, in the unusual position of centre forward, scored 17 points (five from play) and hit seven wides in Tourin’s big win over An Rinn’s second team in the junior hurling championship. His brothers Niall and Gavin (a county minor two years ago) scored the rest of Tourin’s total of 21 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Former county player Mikey Kearney scored an extraordinary 4-9 (4-4 from play) in Ballyduff Upper’s win over St Mary’s of Touraneena..

Mikey Kearney was playing in the league. Is he no longer with the County or is that a mistake?

deisedude wrote: »
    Mikey Kearney was playing in the league. Is he no longer with the County or is that a mistake?

Mea culpa. In fact, not only did Mikey start in the league game against Tipperary, but in my report on the game I described it as "his best performance yet in a Waterford jersey". So maybe it should be "Mea maxima culpa".

Incidentally, Austin Gleeson was sent off in the same game after a nasty strike on Tipperary's Cian Darcy. On this, I wrote that Gleeson's "flaky temperament could become a major liability". His sending off last Sunday will have greatly increased concerns about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Mea culpa. In fact, not only did Mikey start in the league game against Tipperary, but in my report on the game I described it as "his best performance yet in a Waterford jersey". So maybe it should be "Mea maxima culpa".

Incidentally, Austin Gleeson was sent off in the same game after a nasty strike on Tipperary's Cian Darcy. On this, I wrote that Gleeson's "flaky temperament could become a major liability". His sending off last Sunday will have greatly increased concerns about this.

Thanks for clarifying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Streaming €7 per game, was gonna watch 3 of the four, might not bother with any with that.

For what wasn't seen as a particularly noteworthy minor team last year, it is encouraging how many are making an impact with their clubs this year. Particularly as they would only be turning 18 this year. Off the top of my head Aaron Ryan, Rory Furlong, Michael Cummins, Tristan Loftus, Cathrach Daly, Sean Burke, Johnny Burke, Jamie Gleeson and Reuben Halloran have all been involved and many quite impressively.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Austin Gleeson cleared of suspension & available for Mount Sion vs De La Salle.

For what wasn't seen as a particularly noteworthy minor team last year, it is encouraging how many are making an impact with their clubs this year. Particularly as they would only be turning 18 this year. Off the top of my head Aaron Ryan, Rory Furlong, Michael Cummins, Tristan Loftus, Cathrach Daly, Sean Burke, Johnny Burke, Jamie Gleeson and Reuben Halloran have all been involved and many quite impressively.

You could add Jack Ó Floinn and Caolán Mac Craith of An Rinn to that list.

Waterford had a very competitive minor team last year. They lost their first game to Clare by two points (0-17 to 0-15). They then lost to Tipperary in Thurles by a goal (3-15 to 2-15) and I reckon they would have won it if Rory Furlong hadn't been sent off. Even then they should have got something out of the game. They should have beaten Limerick, who earned a draw (0-11 each) from a very dubious last-minute free. In the last game in Páirc Uí Chaoimh, when there was nothing to play for, they lost by a goal to Cork (0-19 to 1-13). Limerick beat Clare in the Munster final, and there was nothing between these teams and Waterford. Waterford also had a lot of big players who were good in the air, which I thought offered great promise for the future.

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Austin Gleeson cleared of suspension & available for Mount Sion vs De La Salle.

That's a game changer but still fancy DLS

Western Intermediate semi final result
    Clashmore 1-19- An Rinn 0-15

Passage 1-10- Roanmore 0-13- latest 52 mins gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Nonsense
    Beating an equally poor 14 man mount sion team without Gleeson is about their limit.
    They haven't produced a player of intercounty class in over 20 years.
    And you need a few of them to become a top team.

business as usual for Ballygunner
    2-18- 0-12 winners against Fourmilewater

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Teebor15

You could add Jack Ó Floinn and Caolán Mac Craith of An Rinn to that list.

Waterford had a very competitive minor team last year. They lost their first game to Clare by two points (0-17 to 0-15). They then lost to Tipperary in Thurles by a goal (3-15 to 2-15) and I reckon they would have won it if Rory Furlong hadn't been sent off. Even then they should have got something out of the game. They should have beaten Limerick, who earned a draw (0-11 each) from a very dubious last-minute free. In the last game in Páirc Uí Chaoimh, when there was nothing to play for, they lost by a goal to Cork (0-19 to 1-13). Limerick beat Clare in the Munster final, and there was nothing between these teams and Waterford. Waterford also had a lot of big players who were good in the air, which I thought offered great promise for the future.

There's alot of "Shoulda, woulda, coulda" in that paragraph! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement