Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Won a county title with Ballygunner, won a county title with Passage and got to a county final with Abbeyside. Blotted his copy with the county under 21s back in 2013 or so though.

He didn't win a County title with Ballygunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Teebor15 wrote: »
    He didn't win a County title with Ballygunner.

Apologies he was gone in 2009. Finalist in 2007 but never won one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

At this stage fans might not see Liam Cahill take charge of a Waterford championship game

Imo i think he's getting the Tipp job when Sheedy goes

An Rinn 4-17 (29)- Stradbally 1-11 (14) in the first Western Intermediate Hurling QFs

Other QFs
    Sat 8th Aug
    Modeligo vs Clashmore- Fraher Field 2pm
    Ardmore vs Shamrocks- Fraher Field 6pm

Sun 9th Aug
    Ballyduff Upper vs St Marys- Fraher Field 2pm

The Eastern Intermediate Hurling QFs also taking place this weekend

Sat 8th Aug
    St Saviours vs Dunhill- Kill 2.30pm
    Ferrybank vs Ballyduff Lower- Fenor 6pm

Sun 9th Aug
    De La Salle vs Portlaw- Dunhill 3.30pm
    Erins Own vs Butlerstown- Walsh Park 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

And a County intermediate with Youghal, and a second County final with Passage.

His record at club management is superb. Really don't think u21 management is as important as some would suggest. Also his association with Davy Fitz time in Waterford probably doesn't sit well with some people. And also the goal we conceded in 2002 v Clare, a few haven't forgotten or forgiven that either.

In my mind, he's the natural successor to Cahill if he'll take it after what happened last year. Be very interesting to see how Roanmore get on.

For the record, he was u21 boss in 2013 + 2014. 2013 they were unlucky to lose to a Clare side that won their 3rd u21 all Ireland in a row that year, Paudie Prendergast was sent off harshly. In 2014, they were very disappointing v Cork but some of the Senior players on the team were most definitely undercooked on account of the turbulent time they had in Derek McGraths first year in charge.

Also trained the rower in kilkenny for a season

• Advertisement

Also trained the rower in kilkenny for a season

Hint of davy fitz off this lad,training all over the place,with limited silverware to show

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Hint of davy fitz off this lad,training all over the place,with limited silverware to show

Yeah. Davy Fitz won **** all.

Business as usual for Ballygunner in the Senior
    Ballygunner 2-20(26)- Passage 0-15

Western Intermediate QF- Clashmore 0-14- Modeligo 1-10(13)
    Eastern Intermediate QF- Dunhill 3-25(34)- St Saviours 2-06(12)

Who has Davy Fitz not won silverware with?

Western Intermediate QF- Shamrocks 0-25- Ardmore 2-16(22)
    Eastern Intermediate QF- Ballyduff Lower 1-27(30)- Ferrybank 0-24

Senior- De La Salle 3-15(24)- Abbeyside 1-15(18)

Ballygunner Top Group A with Passage Runners up
    De La Salle Top Group D with Abbeyside Runners up

Grps B and C finish tomorrow followed by QF draw (repeat pairings avoided)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

And opposed to every other trainer in the country..

Roanmore 1-10- Mount Sion 0-12

Aussie sent off for Sion

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Gleeson sent off on straight red card after 2 minutes. I didn't see it, must have been bad to be sent off so early. miss the quarter final now

Western Intermediate Hurling QF
    Ballyduff Upper 5-19- St Mary's 2-17

https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA/status/1292465717468696576?s=09

To be fair to Roanmore they are the definition of a hard working team who get the most from their resources. As a poster stated already it would seem that Peter Queally is a good fit for them although whether they can really trouble Ballygunner remains to be seen.

Obviously in the heat of today Mt Sion were at a serious disadvantage having to play almost the entire game without Austin Gleeson. In my view it was a very harsh decision and at least two other Mt Sion players were lucky to stay on albeit one would have been a second yellow.

Similar to Abbeyside last night who despite 14 men put up a good fight when driven on by their county players but I always felt DLS just held too much for them.

Also Gavin Whelan is a far superior commentator to Kieran O Connor. The latter was hopeless again yesterday evening trying to identify players and just using nonsense cliches like " a great ball inside" when someone sends a ball wide twenty yards over the heads of the inside forwards.

Mount Sion will have a serious disadvanthe in the QFs if Aussie is suspended. De La Salle Or Ballygunner would love to hammer them and really add salt to the wounds

Roanmore an outside chance of getting to the final ?

Lismore vs Dungarvan later could be a good game (think Lismore might be ok even if they lose with the H2H over Fourmilewater ?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Lismore vs Dungarvan later could be a good game (think Lismore might be ok even if they lose with the H2H over Fourmilewater ?)

Scoring difference decides if Dungarvan win, so unless they beat Lismore by 16 points then those two would be true in that scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

To be fair to Roanmore they are the definition of a hard working team who get the most from their resources. As a poster stated already it would seem that Peter Queally is a good fit for them although whether they can really trouble Ballygunner remains to be seen.

Obviously in the heat of today Mt Sion were at a serious disadvantage having to play almost the entire game without Austin Gleeson. In my view it was a very harsh decision and at least two other Mt Sion players were lucky to stay on albeit one would have been a second yellow.

Similar to Abbeyside last night who despite 14 men put up a good fight when driven on by their county players but I always felt DLS just held too much for them.

Also Gavin Whelan is a far superior commentator to Kieran O Connor. The latter was hopeless again yesterday evening trying to identify players and just using nonsense cliches like " a great ball inside" when someone sends a ball wide twenty yards over the heads of the inside forwards.

I do think Kieran is good on the radio. But TV is a different ball game and he’s out of his comfort zone

Eastern Intermediate Hurling QF- Portlaw 2-20- DLS 0-21

Senior QF draw takes place after tonight's match. Why they couldn't of done it for the initial group draw I don't knw (Winner of GrpA vs Runner Up GrpC etc)

https://twitter.com/tomasmcc/status/1292514590438432770?s=19

Game like this needed in the Waterford championship

• Advertisement

I do think Kieran is good on the radio. But TV is a different ball game and he’s out of his comfort zone

I'm not sure. I have a suspicion that he's been at that standard for years on the radio but as we don't have the pictures we can't tell. Although I can't remember the last time I listened to him as I don't listen while at games. There's no excuse for not knowing what colour helmets players wear and he simply doesn't do his homework.

On a much more positive note the standard of hurling in the club games that I've seen is at least on a par with anything in any other county that has been on tv

Feel if Aussie is/was playing next week it would be skin and hair in DLS vs Mount Sion but still could be. Think DLS quality will get them through

Ballygunner should have enough for Fourmilewater

Lismore going well but Abbeyside will be a challenge

It would be typical typical Roanmore to feck up against Passage but never knw.

I'm not sure. I have a suspicion that he's been at that standard for years on the radio but as we don't have the pictures we can't tell. Although I can't remember the last time I listened to him as I don't listen while at games. There's no excuse for not knowing what colour helmets players wear and he simply doesn't do his homework.

On a much more positive note the standard of hurling in the club games that I've seen is at least on a par with anything in any other county that has been on tv

Think Limerick games I've seen have been of a higher standard. And the Tullaroan v Ballyhale game was super.

No game I've seen have matched those

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

If you were Liam Cahill would you risk Austin Gleeson in the team given his propensity for red cards. Guy never seems to learn. One of the biggest wastes of talent i've seen in a Waterford jersey.

carter10 wrote: »
    If you were Liam Cahill would you risk Austin Gleeson in the team given his propensity for red cards. Guy never seems to learn. One of the biggest wastes of talent i've seen in a Waterford jersey.

I would, yes. I wouldn't put him in the backs though, his tackling is far too rash. Even when he was wing back at the start I thought the same. Half forward line needs him as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Gardner

saw the video of his sending off yesterday. it looks worse than what it is. he went to meet him and your man ducked into the challenge and he connected square on. if it was shoulder to shoulder he would have blown your man into the stand.
    ridiculous post above from carter10

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Is De Burca back and will he be available for county?
    I hear Mikey Kiely hurled well the first day for Abbeyside. How'd he do last weekend? Wonder will Cahill call him up now? We could do with some young talent breaking through under the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

carter10 wrote: »

We can't win an All Ireland without him so depends what the goal is. Happy to fall short or take the risk on our match winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Is De Burca back and will he be available for county?
    I hear Mikey Kiely hurled well the first day for Abbeyside. How'd he do last weekend? Wonder will Cahill call him up now? We could do with some young talent breaking through under the radar.

De burca gave a MOTM performance at centre back at the weekend for Clashmore v Modeligo. A dirty enough game he took a bit of punishment himself. Definetly looks ready to step back into the county setup, probably been advantaged by COVID to have him back as it would have been too late had the normal intercounty season gone ahead

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement